Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

choccy77

Between their human rights record and the way they are engaging in a blatant attempt at sportswashing, these are arguably the most abhorrent owne—
You'd think that these Billionaire owners would want to improve their team. But I guess money means nothing to them.

Devil81

We should most definitely be hawking some of our overpaid baggage in their direction.

ShinjiNinja26

I know this will never happen but wouldn’t it be amazing if all clubs just refused to play them? They can’t do anything if they can’t play games, play all your other games but when it comes to Newcastle just act as if they don’t exist. Sure the PL can punish the clubs but if all 19 clubs other do it then punishments will mean feck all really and would force the powers that be to do something with regards to Newcastle. It’s the ultimate protest.

Superden

it was picked up by a caller on radio 5 the other morning, one of the nufc fans groups representatives referred to 'alledged' human rights abuses in KSA. the sportswashing has already started.

soulfox63

When Newcastle play Man City will it be called the Oil derby ? El Oilyco ?

Superden

on the other hand, why should NUFC fans be held to account, when the crown prince is so close to our politicians and the royal family. should everyone who voted tory or who supports the monarchy also do penance for their support of the evil regime (KSA that is, not queenie)

Superden

I know this will never happen but wouldn’t it be amazing if all clubs just refused to play them? They can’t do anything if they can’t play games, play all your other games but when it comes to Newcastle just act as if they don’t exist. Sure the PL can punish the clubs but if all 19 clubs other do it then punishments will mean feck all really and would force the powers that be to do something with regards to Newcastle. It’s the ultimate protest.
why would a club refuse to play them?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Welcome Amanda

Arab finances seems to be her thing. She was involved in the Abu Dhabi takeover at City too apparently, acting as Sh Mansoor's advisor during that takeover, as well as Abu Dhabi's huge investment in Barclays bank. Her part in helping the Saudis acquire Newcastle resulted in her owning 10% of the club.

Cloud7

And what exactly would you like the powers that be to do regarding Newcastle in this situation you mentioned, where the other clubs refuse to play them?

hungrywing

This would be the ideal response. Tres jujitsu.

Imagine this movement across all the leagues to the point where even little kids treat the oil clubs as banter-fodder. “114 = 0” memes and such. All other nineteen clubs (in whatever league) forfeiting and treating them as a non-entity.

The power of the message that would send throughout society would be very interesting to watch unfold.

Chief123

We should stop playing Man City and Chelsea too then?

cyberman

Ive said this about City before. This project will fail if the league expanded CL to 5 spots and everybody played their reserves v Newcastle. It takes everything away.

Guy Incognito

Why would Chelsea or City complain?

In fact shouldn't clubs have protested and done this when Abramovich started all this chequebook madness and Abu Dhabi treated football like a supermarket?

ShinjiNinja26

why would a club refuse to play them?
Because the 19 clubs are reportedly very angry the Saudis were allowed to takeover, this would be the ultimate way of showing that discontent

And what exactly would you like the powers that be to do regarding Newcastle in this situation you mentioned, where the other clubs refuse to play them?
I dunno, it was a hypothetical idea and one that wasn’t really thought through ha. Maybe force the Saudi’s to sell up as it would be a pointless venture or at least make FFP or the PL take a very strict stance in the way they spent and operate in terms of sponsorship deals etc.

ShinjiNinja26

Why would Chelsea or City complain?

In fact shouldn't clubs have protested and done this when Abramovich started all this chequebook madness and Abu Dhabi treated football like a supermarket?
Aye I would’ve said refuse to play them as well But the horse has already bolted on those 2 and yeah they won’t give a feck really as they’ve came up through similar means, especially City. It wasn’t a serious proposition anyways but surely things have to come to a head at some point or are we just going to let states and countries take over every club?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
On the one hand that all seems very sensible but on the other, Henry Winter thinks the human rights issue is best dealt with by a robust “comms strategy” and then finishes with a weird “Choose Life” esque outro, so it’s hard to know who to believe.
This "long-suffering fans" bollox has surely got to stop now. Why is this narrative so pervasive when it comes to Newcastle fans? I've never got it at all. They're treated like fecking martyrs all the time because their team, what? Plays in the fecking Premier League. Oh, the horror of it. They happen to play it in one of the most elite leagues in the world in a 50,000+ seater stadium! The humanity of it all.

I don't get it with them. "Poor old Newcastle fans" :lol: Give me a break. They nearly won something about 100 years ago (slight exaggeration) and now what? They have the god-given right to be in the top four? Challenge for the League? Win a cup? Be in the Premier League at all? And now they're dancing in the streets and wearing bin Salman masks and waving Saudi flags and people are saying "oh they deserve this, the poor sods" They don't "deserve" feck all.

Hope the feckers get relegated.

For those claiming our fans would welcome it, get to feck, and here’s the proof of our reaction when Rupert Murdoch was on the verge of buying us before the government blocked it as “anti-competitive”, which is more than a little hilarious considering first City and now this.

But there was an outcry when news of the deal leaked out in September. Although all the United directors eventually accepted it, the fans were vehemently opposed. A pressure group, Shareholders United Against Murdoch (SUAM), fronted by BBC TV Newsnight reporter Michael Crick, quickly established itself as an incisive, articulate critic of the merger.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/apr/11/theobserver.uknews1

Dr. StrangeHate

Arab finances seems to be her thing. She was involved in the Abu Dhabi takeover at City too apparently, acting as Sh Mansoor's advisor during that takeover, as well as Abu Dhabi's huge investment in Barclays bank. Her part in helping the Saudis acquire Newcastle resulted in her owning 10% of the club.
So she is like Helen from Ozarks.

Handsome Devil

Between their human rights record and the way they are engaging in a blatant attempt at sportswashing, these are arguably the most abhorrent owne—
Actually, to be fair, they’re not a bad bunch of lads, really.
In the general scheme of things, wouldn't any club accepting money from them be open to allegations of collusion or at the very least indifference?

Superden

This would be the ideal response. Tres jujitsu.

Imagine this movement across all the leagues to the point where even little kids treat the oil clubs as banter-fodder. “114 = 0” memes and such. All other nineteen clubs (in whatever league) forfeiting and treating them as a non-entity.

The power of the message that would send throughout society would be very interesting to watch unfold.
so only clubs owned by oil rich states? what about clubs lower down the leagues that are owned by very wealthy folk, should they be boycotted as well for the sake of the game. Or is it just the middle eastern owners we have a problem with?

having read eamon dunphys book (a strange kind of glory), which laid bare the nature of football from 60s onwards at OT and elsewhere, the soul of football was given away (or should i say sold off) a long time ago.

moaning at newcastle is now just shouting at clouds.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The league is fecked. There’s a fan of a top 4 clubs reading this story who isn’t that fussed but this investment means they’ll be pushed out of the top 4 and have set their club back years but they just don’t know it yet.
On another note. If this goes how we expect it to then England will be the de facto super league of football for the arms race alone
Yeap. Imagine City, Chelsea, and Newcastle taking 3 spots almost guaranteed and Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, and Spurs battling for the only remaining spot? And then there is also Leicester and Villa...

Why don't we also invite PSG to EPL, instead of their toy league, and then if Real and Barca also follow the suit - Bayern will be the only massive club outside EPL? :)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeap. Imagine City, Chelsea, and Newcastle taking 3 spots almost guaranteed and Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, and Spurs battling for the only remaining spot? And then there is also Leicester and Villa...

Why don't we also invite PSG to EPL, instead of their toy league, and then if PSG and Barca also follow the suit - Bayern will be the only massive club outside EPL? :)
In the last 10 seasons, Chelsea have finished outside top 4 three times, finished 4th three times, finished 3rd once and won the title twice. We're hardly an impossible team to compete with

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The other PL teams really need to do their best to get Newcastle relegated. Would delay the inevitable by a couple of years at least.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
In the last 10 seasons, Chelsea have finished outside top 4 three times, finished 4th three times, finished 3rd once and won the title twice. We've hardly an impossible team to compete with
6 out of 10 is still a great record, right? Esp if you can keep it up when it gets even tougher. And my main point is: when shit gets even more real, you will step up because your owner both has money, is not shy to spend it, and (as opposed to Glazers) cares about winning far above making money. Glazers will probably just feck off it we stop being easy cash cow

Fts 74

In the last 10 seasons, Chelsea have finished outside top 4 three times, finished 4th three times, finished 3rd once and won the title twice. We've hardly an impossible team to compete with
Agree completely.

Of course having crazy money behind you certainly is an advantage, but it by no means guarantees anything.

How many CL between yourselves and city 2?
I don't have a problem with what's going on with Newcastle we'll still be able to compete.

israeli_geordie

Supports
Newcastle
I read all the comments here and what a joke! For years man utd spent more than anybody else, in your last game where you stole a point against everton your bench talent calued at 325m (more than nufc price) and you are talking about cannot compete??? You spend every summer more than anyone else.. you have 50m£ players on the bench every game and you complain about fairness..And it doesn’t matter at all what the source of the money, whatever saudi money or shirts in thailand. Long gone the days you dominant, face it.