Next Arsenal Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Ancelotti? He's not with a club and lives in London doesn't he?

I've always rated him as quite a good manager.
Gone to Napoli after turning down the Italian job.

Cloud7

With Moyes there was the argument around budget and having better players. He'd proved himself at a certain level and he may be able to step up given the opportunity.

If we go back to 2013 and if the choice is between Moyes and some former player that's never managed I'm going with Moyes.
Agree to disagree mate. I don’t think he really proved anything that made you think he would do better at a higher level.

JMack1234

Can he really do that much worse than Wenger?

When we got Moyes we'd just won the league with an ageing squad but Arsenal have been a bit of shambles for the last few years. Surely Arteta can improve on Wenger's last year then move on build a team and philosophy. If Arsenal appointed me tomorrow they'd probably finish 12th given the standard of lower half.

Of course I have no dog in this fight and if Arsenal collapsed Arteta I'd find it hilarious.

AlwaysRed66

Can he really do that much worse than Wenger?

When we got Moyes we'd just won the league with an ageing squad but Arsenal have been a bit of shambles for the last few years. Surely Arteta can improve on Wenger's last year then move on build a team and philosophy. If Arsenal appointed me tomorrow they'd probably finish 12th given the standard of lower half.

Of course I have no dog in this fight and if Arsenal collapsed Arteta I'd find it hilarious.
Not being funny, but Wenger has won three FA Cups in the last four years, whilst the great Spurs haven't won a trophy since 2008, yet Arsenal have been a shambles. Yes, they have under performed from previous years, but taking account their finances compared to other competitors are they doing that bad.

I think Arsenal fans are going to have quite a shock, if any manager isn't given sufficient funds, & start tumbling down the table, that perhaps Wenger wasn't as bad as they thought.

Hopefully, them West Ham & Everton, who all think they have a god given right to be doing far better than they deserve get relegated next season. Won't happen, as there are so many poor teams, but it would be great if they did.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Not being funny, but Wenger has won three FA Cups in the last four years, whilst the great Spurs haven't won a trophy since 2008, yet Arsenal have been a shambles. Yes, they have under performed from previous years, but taking account their finances compared to other competitors are they doing that bad.

I think Arsenal fans are going to have quite a shock, if any manager isn't given sufficient funds, & start tumbling down the table, that perhaps Wenger wasn't as bad as they thought.

Hopefully, them West Ham & Everton, who all think they have a god given right to be doing far better than they deserve get relegated next season. Won't happen, as there are so many poor teams, but it would be great if they did.

Exactly. Those Wenger Out folks may learn to be careful what you wish for. I remember what we were like before Wenger. I don't think many of the new fans have those memories and will regret what has happened.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Exactly. Those Wenger Out folks may learn to be careful what you wish for. I remember what we were like before Wenger. I don't think many of the new fans have those memories and will regret what has happened.
Regret what?
There was no prospect of Wenger Arsenal back into the top four. He should have left long ago. I can't imagine Arsenal being in a worse situation than they currently are.
Yes, they won three cuos but that is for from sustainable for a top club. They need to be xompetcom for big trophies.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Regret what?
There was no prospect of Wenger Arsenal back into the top four. He should have left long ago. I can't imagine Arsenal being in a worse situation than they currently are.
Yes, they won three cuos but that is for from sustainable for a top club. They need to be xompetcom for big trophies.

That's nonsense.

ti vu

Regret what?
To regret having their priority wrong. Pushing Wenger out may end up worse. The problem lies else where if Arteta & transfer budget rumor turn out to be true. So somebody else should be pushed out the door first.

cyberman

I'm annoyed that they keep using LVG as an example of doom.
If LVG had his two years with Arsenal then he would be seen as a success imo

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Ok, how about LVG and Arteta as #2? Anyway the board is clearing out existing staffs Wenger left behind, so the announcement will arrive very soon.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
We're not winning the league without massive spending. I don't know why this is so hard for people to get.

Morpheus 7

We're not winning the league without massive spending. I don't know why this is so hard for people to get.
Yeah without doubt, there is big changes needed at the back and goalkeepers. It can't happen overnight, arsenal are going to go through huge transition, hard to put a time frame on return to the top. It's going to take to a time to get it right. Getting players in and out, changing tactics and getting the team to instill the managers mentality. This transition can take years, look at us. Bad managers and poor signings can put you back. We are only stabilising and it's not been great to watch. United are throwing money at it, it will eventually get us back to the top. Spending got city there, got Chelsea there. It's sad but unfortunately true in the modern game. You can get the most out of younger players and the academy route but it takes more time and riskier, patience is rarely given to any manager.

I think if Arteta comes in, the owners are looking to do it the Poch route and on the cheap, could take a long time with limited transfer funds. That's if things go according to plan. Allegri won't leave Juve without a proper budget to rebuild, why would he?
This summer will show the ambition of the board. Fans have the right to be annoyed if the new manager isn't given proper financial backing.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I’d have seriously liked to see a defensively organised team next season. Jardim or Simeone would’ve been my top two picks for that as those two are fantastic at building a team bigger than the sum of its parts. The Arteta appointment is most likely going to flop. I just hope we can hold on to sixth place in the coming two seasons. :(

Kapardin

Times have changed. League's such that Arsenal won't finish below sixth even if they hire Moyes (maybe that's stretching it a bit, but still...!). Wenger lost his ability to get the top 4 trophy. So basically, its' better to go for change and risk failure than be stuck with the proven failure.

buckooo1978

If it was going to ve Arteta surely it would be Arteta already?

Does the delay suggest they are going for an Italian/Spanish league based manager?

Mohamed Salah

Supports
Merseyside Red FC
Is it possible that the Arsenal board will take the safe option and employ a manager that is used to the league?

Someone like Rafa Benitez or even Eddie Howe?

Adisa

Looks like I'm in the minority. However I insist Arsenal had to sack him and don't agree with Arteta being an obvious flop. Arsenal aren't a great team but they're better than what they've shown in the last two seasons. With smart management, I can't see why they can't finish in the top four. That should be the least of their ambitions.

CA1

Do the Arsenal fans on here view Arteta as an Arsenal legend?

It's not for me to say if he is or he isn't but all the news reports say he is but I remember him playing there for like 3-4 seasons in a very average 3-4 year period too. Maybe I'm wrong. I actually remember him more as an Everton man.

SirAF

Ageist
Looks like I'm in the minority. However I insist Arsenal had to sack him and don't agree with Arteta being an obvious flop. Arsenal aren't a great team but they're better than what they've shown in the last two seasons. With smart management, I can't see why they can't finish in the top four. That should be the least of their ambitions.
I think it's a decent gamble for them. Arsenal, with all due respect, is not a club that "should/must" etc win the PL - if they can get back into the top four that will be grand for them.

Adisa

I think it's a decent gamble for them. Arsenal, with all due respect, is not a club that "should/must" etc win the PL - if they can get back into the top four that will be grand for them.
People are comparing our situation with there's. Arsenal have nothing to lose by hiring Arteta. A donkey would struggle have them finish below 6th.
If he fails, they will have a similar season to their two previous ones.
We were champions.

Falklander

I'm annoyed that they keep using LVG as an example of doom.
If LVG had his two years with Arsenal then he would be seen as a success imo
Last time i check LVG United finished below Arsenal in both of his season,Wenger also won 3 FA Cups in recent years and he was still finally sacked so hardly a success you suggesting

SirAF

Ageist
People are comparing our situation with there's. Arsenal have nothing to lose by hiring Arteta. A donkey would struggle have them finish below 6th.
We were champions.
Yeah, exactly.

Castia

We were champions.

So he would have failed, Arsenal aren’t aiming for 6th place and anybody but Wenger would have been fired before now.

They’ll be mid table easily if they get the appointment wrong it happened to Chelsea and almost to us finishing 7th.

‘Appoint anyone we’ll finish 6th anyway’....what a daft statement.

dogwithabone

I don’t know why Conte isn’t linked to the Arsenal job. It seems to me there’s an obvious candidate the other side of town who’d fit the bill but he doesn’t get a mention.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
Do the Arsenal fans on here view Arteta as an Arsenal legend?...
Of course he’s not seen as a legend. He was not a good enough player for that really. That said he is generally very respected among our fans and he even went on to become our captain. I like him a lot actually. But as for taking over here as our manager... can’t say I’m thrilled. Too much risk and stability is what our club needs right now. I’d much rather go for someone else but I think the biggest problem in our club was never the manager but a owner that doesn’t really care if we compete or not as long as the stock holders are making money. Koenke really needs get out already if anything is really going to change. Sad times.

cyberman

Last time i check LVG United finished below Arsenal in both of his season,Wenger also won 3 FA Cups in recent years and he was still finally sacked so hardly a success you suggesting
Top 4
5th on goal difference and an FA cup
Fantastic record v big sides after Wengers beatings over the years

They lay in 6th place! Of course it would be considered a success.
They'd lie to themselves about net spend or just needing consistency and all would be well.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Don't think I'd ever describe him that way. He was more an AM for Everton and Wenger turned him into a regista type. He was never really aggressive nor a defensive midfielder. I wasn't particularly impressed by his play in that position either. Don't think he ever worked the greatest in that position as he was too slow and not really aggressive.
he definitely became more aggressive when he transferred to a deeper role in Arsenal, kicking the shit out of everyone, picking a lot of yellows too, that's what I remember about him. I can agree he was too slow... And I am not saying he played as a pure defensive mid, he just played deeper as a CM with more defensive duties and some playmaking skills. He can be certainly described as an intelligent player despite lacking pace too

Falklander

Top 4
5th on goal difference and an FA cup
Fantastic record v big sides after Wengers beatings over the years

They lay in 6th place! Of course it would be considered a success.
They'd lie to themselves about net spend or just needing consistency and all would be well.
Wenger won 3 FA Cups in last 4 years and finished above LVG both season he was managing United and everyone was still bitching about him from fans to media and in the end he was forced to leave. So i still don't get what success you're suggesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adisa

So he would have failed, Arsenal aren’t aiming for 6th place and anybody but Wenger would have been fired before now.

They’ll be mid table easily if they get the appointment wrong it happened to Chelsea and almost to us finishing 7th.

‘Appoint anyone we’ll finish 6th anyway’....what a daft statement.
There's nothing daft about it. It's a high risk appointment but there are perfectly valid reasons for appointing him. And it's not like he's going to be under intense amount of pressure. Arsenal have finished a distant 6th. It's not beyond the realm of imagination that Arteta does better than that.
Don't understand why people are already jumping into the conclusion he will be a failure.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
The fact the Gooners have made Arteta their prefered choice (1) just shows why the fans next season now need to focus on forcing the board out as well. Simply because while he has done a good job City as assistant to Pep, going from that to being the manager of the Arsenal (2) is a a whole different kettle of fish, one which even the best managers in the world would struggle to suceed in under the circumstances, let alone someone with a reletive lack of experence as Arteta.

Times have changed. League's such that Arsenal won't finish below sixth even if they hire Moyes (maybe that's stretching it a bit, but still...!). Wenger lost his ability to get the top 4 trophy. So basically, its' better to go for change and risk failure than be stuck with the proven failure.
Arsenal could have finished in 7th place this season had they lost 2-3 more games and/or Burnley won a few more of the games that they ended up drawing. So if Wenger's sucessor did a particulally bad job next season (with perhaps 2 of Leicester City, Everton and/or Burnley doing better next seaon) it is not impossible to see the Arsenal to finish outside the Europa League Places (5th-7th) next season. Although to be fair I can't see them finishing too far below that considering the players they have.

Reguardless I would suggest that given the resources the board is willing to give them (which is far, far below what they could financially afford), the club should put all their focus into the Cups (so they can at least get into the Europa League the following season) and especially into the Europa League (considering how hard it is to get into the Top 4 these days).

(1) Likewise if Arteta is foolish enough to accept the offer in question (especially considering the role he has at Man City), then it would be the 2nd dumbest job offer acceptance (football managerment wise) in recent seasons. The 1st of course being Steven Gerrard accepting the Rangers job.

(2) A club in dire need of squad investment and requring many tough decisions of to be made, all the while dealing with a board which is wreaking the club as the seasons go by

Status
Not open for further replies.