Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

idmanager

I think Rafael/Fabio were given because it was not fair for him to start with 2 proper sheeps after someone else ditched the team and he took it over. Was a pretty good decision IMO.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just looking at the Rafael/Fabio sheep and the general idea of sheep allocation - the idea that I had seen and on which I based the sheep allocation in the first sheep draft was that a sheep pick simply is meant as a uniform punishment across managers. A punishment that you have failed to get a player in three attempts so now you have someone who is complete junk, a liability and basically a standing cone on the pitch. Now, to make the matches discussion worthy, for entirely cosmetic purposes sheep were actual players who usually were unbelievably shit just to put a name to what is actually someone's grandma on the pitch. And then to enhance it further we had the sheep matching the criteria.

The point is, sheep quality isn't at the discretion of the mod to dish out, and in process add variance across different sheep. All punishments are exactly the same, a null player as described above, and one isn't supposed to be able to argue based on the player's actual abilities in real life since what it represents is a complete nobody. It just looks better to have some **** heroes like Djemba Djemba etc but in practice they are all literally to be treated the same and there is no scope for the manager whatsoever to bring up any sort of footballing ability in a match up.
Each to their own I guess.

Firstly, sheep quality can't always be null as, where possible, they should fit the criteria. E.g. if you are in a WC Final round picking from either side the sheep, by definition, will be a WC finalist. You may agree or disagree with this, but so long as people know beforehand it gets factored into decisions and how much risk you are willing to take.

Also, we don't usually have a rule whereby only one sheep can be benched, nor a round which demands both players either play or don't.

In any case, the logic of first sheep being a null and then getting more decent (where possible) was agreed beforehand so any "discretion" was applied within a given framework.

All in all, the logic remained that more sheep is a bad thing, but without making half the sides dead men walking. @Pat_Mustard is a great example in that in 70-80% of the draws he would have been laughing after his storming form post double sheep being inherited.

Moby

Dick
but without making half the sides dead men walking.
That's the point of a sheep. If you have a sheep and the other team doesn't you automatically lose, as long as you are following the spirit of the draft and mean sheep as a punishment, not as a weakness.

That's what the idea I used was supposed to be (even I didn't implement it properly and crappy ended up defending Abel Xavier) but you can change it obviously. But usually it's deemed a clear cut punishment for failing to get a player in three attempts.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That's the point of a sheep. If you have a sheep and the other team doesn't you automatically lose, as long as you are following the spirit of the draft and mean sheep as a punishment, not as a weakness.
Whats the point of even having matches then for some matchups?

Shrike and I had 3 sheep vs Gio's 0 Sheep. What was the point of even having a thread just for people to say "can't look past here Gio here" Well obviously, thanks for kicking my dead horse ya know?

I could have easily just posted the Sanfilippo and Abbadie profiles in the main thread. I think in the future its just better to allow more than 16 players in sheep draft and develop that Group Stage concept as my recent match with Gio - 3 sheep vs. 0 - was pointless.

Moby

Dick
Whats the point of even having matches then for some matchups?

Shrike and I had 3 sheep vs Gio's 0 Sheep. What was the point of even having a thread just for people to say "can't look past here Gio here" Well obviously, thanks for kicking my dead horse ya know?

I could have easily just posted the Sanfilippo and Abbadie profiles in the main thread. I think in the future its just better to allow more than 16 players in sheep draft and develop that Group Stage concept as my recent match with Gio - 3 sheep vs. 0 - was pointless.
Yeah, if we go with the original meaning of sheep there's no point to that game. But it is similarly pointless if you just put Bramble, Traore etc in your backline in an all time draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Despite the name, I think we should move away from "sheeps" going forward. Maybe the mod team can allocate them a usually unpicked but decent player they need to showcase or something like that! The games have to be competitive.

For all those who miss 3 turns, the penalty being, they start with (maybe) 2 votes disadvantage, i.e. they have to win the match by a difference of 3 votes or more (for 1 sheep), 5 votes or more (for 2 sheeps) and so on.

Playing with 10 men can't really be replicated in drafts and we should move away from trying to get that in place.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Despite the name, I think we should move away from "sheeps" going forward. Maybe the mod team can allocate them a usually unpicked but decent player they need to showcase or something like that! The games have to be competitive.

For all those who miss 3 turns, the penalty being, they start with (maybe) 2 votes disadvantage, i.e. they have to win the match by a difference of 3 votes or more (for 1 sheep), 5 votes or more (for 2 sheeps) and so on.

Playing with 10 men can't really be replicated in drafts and we should move away from trying to get that in place.

Those are some great ideas. Having an unpicked player who is decent enough but never gets picked would be good to both start highlighting newer players while also avoiding the instant loss of having more purple colored players. The vote penalty is also an interesting mechanic that I think has some potential.

antohan

Those are some great ideas. Having an unpicked player who is decent enough but never gets picked would be good to both start highlighting newer players while also avoiding the instant loss of having more purple colored players. The vote penalty is also an interesting mechanic that I think has some potential.
I'm all for that and almost gave EAP Pocho Cortés instead of Cabrera on that basis, but I couldn't justify a player featuring in three WCs being a sheep :lol:

I agree it's a bit crap to hold dead rubbers in the first game, although I'd argue you were an exception while in most sheep drafts it had turned into a rule.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'm all for that and almost gave EAP Pocho Cortés instead of Cabrera on that basis, but I couldn't justify a player featuring in three WCs being a sheep :lol:

I agree it's a bit crap to hold dead rubbers in the first game, although I'd argue you were an exception while in most sheep drafts it had turned into a rule.
I think that first round double pick was a good start - two related players that had to be played together. For instance our unpicked combo in that Dyer-Ben Haim sheep round was Dino Zoff- Jose Altafini. Still can't believe we never tried that combo in one of our picks :lol: but anyway that would have meant we probably play both Thurams which would at least been more interesting.
Although it seems most people avoided playing their relative combos. Personally I liked that one version that had both Rijkaards better than the final version.

antohan

I think that first round double pick was a good start - two related players that had to be played together. For instance our unpicked combo in that Dyer-Ben Haim sheep round was Dino Zoff- Jose Altafini. Still can't believe we never tried that combo in one of our picks :lol: but anyway that would have meant we probably play both Thurams which would at least been more interesting.
Although it seems most people avoided playing their relative combos. Personally I liked that one version that had both Rijkaards better than the final version.
That was designed for R1 precisely because it offered loads of GOATs to get giddy with, but also really limited those getting their grubby hands on the likes of Maradona going forward. Basically, if you want Diego then make bloody sure you don't get more than one sheep (while also getting a credible #10, as you want to build a side for Maradona after all). Should tie you up in knots as the draft goes on.

As it turns out, it hurt you the most as you (probably rightly) didn't want to prioritise a RB, but instead kept picking CBs to play ahead of your sheep. I can't tell what the situation was in every round, but it looked really odd from an outsider perspective that you kept collecting CBs and ignoring fullbacks, let alone a keeper that could save the day.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It seems proportionate (a) improving the sheep standard as the quantity increases, and (b) having 14-man squads allowing you to mobilise different options to potentially protect a sheep (eg playing a dud at right-back against a 3-5-2).

Enigma_87

You know who
That was designed for R1 precisely because it offered loads of GOATs to get giddy with, but also really limited those getting their grubby hands on the likes of Maradona going forward. Basically, if you want Diego then make bloody sure you don't get more than one sheep (while also getting a credible #10, as you want to build a side for Maradona after all). Should tie you up in knots as the draft goes on.

As it turns out, it hurt you the most as you (probably rightly) didn't want to prioritise a RB, but instead kept picking CBs to play ahead of your sheep. I can't tell what the situation was in every round, but it looked really odd from an outsider perspective that you kept collecting CBs and ignoring fullbacks, let alone a keeper that could save the day.
It's always like that isn't it?

And if you don't get a quality one in the end just play 5-3-2 and most of the time you'd get away with it. :D

Enigma_87

You know who
Is it? I almost definitely pick both fullbacks before getting the second CB. But then, I haven't been in a draft for a couple of years now.
usually they tend to get neglected and it's the other way around (the two CB's).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
OK, I was just thinking more on my earlier idea on Can you beat them? Draft.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/next-draft-idea-discussion.403961/page-104#post-21779056

Assuming people are interested in playing that, I've shortlisted below teams as opponents for particular rounds.

Any other suggestion of teams and/or ranking for rounds will be appreciated!

Round 1 Opponents:

Man Utd 2008

Arsenal Invincibles

Lisbon Lions

Quarter Finals Opponents:

Juventus 1983

Manchester United 1999

Inter Milan 1964

Brazil 1982

France 1982:

Semi Finals:

Real Madrid 1957

1989 Milan

Germany 1972

Finals:

Barcelona 2009

Brazil 1970

Netherlands 1974

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow what pool are you looking at? If it is all time I'm pretty sure every team would beat the historic opponent.
Haven't crystallized it fully, but here goes:

Block: All players in the selected real life teams plus Maradona.
GOATs: Only 2 players from GOAT list (smaller version of what Moby used in Reserve Draft) in your squad (not just playing XI).

idmanager

Don't mind but for some reason can't imagine it being a hit. I am sure many others might like it as well. Cheers.

Enigma_87

You know who
Haven't crystallized it fully, but here goes:

Block: All players in the selected real life teams plus Maradona.
GOATs: Only 2 players from GOAT list (smaller version of what Moby used in Reserve Draft) in your squad (not just playing XI).
Could work, although if you block all players in those teams you don't have to block any GOATs as it will pretty much cover them all.

It's an interesting prospect but requires ironing out I guess.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Edgar's idea sounds very fun, but not really in the same mode so to speak as normal drafts. Its more a supplemental draft where we, the players play against NPCs - the preset historical sides. It sounds like a super fun experiment but not the same "PVP" mode as our normal drafts if that makes sense?

We could run it concurrent maybe?

The format would be different.

We could do every against each historical side and only the sides that have positive votes against each would advance.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah, I know that, but three CBs and anyone will do at wb? WTF?
I’m usually the opposite to be honest, I think there’s a real lack of top tier players capable of playing at wing back so usually try and get them in early. Just couldn’t get my hands on one this time round.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

Dyer was most hideable as RB/RMF and Ben Ham as rcb type

Also as I said in hindsight going for Zoff/Altafini in that teammate 2 times round would have been most efficient but yeah hindsight :lol:

antohan

Dyer was most hideable as RB/RMF and Ben Ham as rcb type

Also as I said in hindsight going for Zoff/Altafini in that teammate 2 times round would have been most efficient but yeah hindsight :lol:
That's a great pair and safe as houses. People don't rate Altafini at all. I had him once and may as well have played Kevin Phillips.

MJJ

OK, I was just thinking more on my earlier idea on Can you beat them? Draft.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/next-draft-idea-discussion.403961/page-104#post-21779056

Assuming people are interested in playing that, I've shortlisted below teams as opponents for particular rounds.

Any other suggestion of teams and/or ranking for rounds will be appreciated!

Round 1 Opponents:

Man Utd 2008

Arsenal Invincibles

Lisbon Lions

Quarter Finals Opponents:

Juventus 1983

Manchester United 1999

Inter Milan 1964

Brazil 1982

France 1982:

Semi Finals:

Real Madrid 1957

1989 Milan

Germany 1972

Finals:

Barcelona 2009

Brazil 1970

Netherlands 1974

Sign me up

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Would definitely put Milan in the final category — I guess instead of the Netherlands, they have a positional GOAT in every line, even 2 in defence, plus Gullit, Donadoni etc.
Interesting concept

MJJ

Would definitely put Milan in the final category — I guess instead of the Netherlands, they have a positional GOAT in every line, even 2 in defence, plus Gullit, Donadoni etc.
Interesting concept
Seconded.

Also man utd 08 should be semi final opponents.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can’t decide whether or not to be in. It’s a good concept, but I think the games might be a bit of a letdown.
Agree. Probably end up debating with no one in some games. Can't imagine too many neutrals wanting to spend too much time defending the club teams.