Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
True, not a bad shout. I guess, I wanted it to be more unpredictable.. trying to guess which combination of XI players your opposing manager will put out for the first game.. is he going to put out all his best defenders, or spread it out etc. Whereas in your example, it becomes more predictable and more about the quality of your subs.. which is still a good way of testing drafting skills..
I liked yours better.

diarm

Nah, you are destroying the main attraction of it which is making calls on which team to play your stars in. E.g. you can get Zidane and Ronaldinho and play them in different teams. With your suggestion the superstars will play both games. Boring.
Yeah I agree. The beauty of a 2 team squad would be the attempts at fecking each other over with crafty selection or tactics and driving yourself mad trying to second guess what your opponent is going to do.

The dynamic of the two legs would be brilliant and something very new.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Another suggestion is a Specific Player Draft. All teams build around the same player(s) and matches will be on who has the better build. The only restriction is that none of the other players could have played with the Specified Player professionally.

We can take versatile/troublesome players like Pirlo or Schuster or Scholes and/or classic legends that we want to know better like Duncan Edwards or Di Stefano...

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Maybe a 46-66 draft? Will have a totally new set of players.
I'd obviously support that. I'd also add the no mates rule too unsurprisingly. I think the current draft has an excellent range of players. Also since we don't have the major team merry-go-round it won't be as difficult to draft and would again avoid proven partnerships

antohan

Another suggestion is a Specific Player Draft. All teams build around the same player(s) and matches will be on who has the better build. The only restriction is that none of the other players could have played with the Specified Player professionally.

We can take versatile/troublesome players like Pirlo or Schuster or Scholes and/or classic legends that we want to know better like Duncan Edwards or Di Stefano...
Do we need a draft for that? TBH, there's so much stuff that has been written/researched for these drafts, we may as well create a thread (e.g. Bernd Schuster) and just chuck all the info, clips, gifs, and then people just throw in whatever teamsheets they come up with on how to best utilise him given X, Y and Z rules (e.g. no proven partners is a good one).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Do we need a draft for that? TBH, there's so much stuff that has been written/researched for these drafts, we may as well create a thread (e.g. Bernd Schuster) and just chuck all the info, clips, gifs, and then people just throw in whatever teamsheets they come up with on how to best utilise him given X, Y and Z rules (e.g. no proven partners is a good one).
It'll probably be same stars in all replies. In a snake, it;s be much more difficult to build around.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'd obviously support that. I'd also add the no mates rule too unsurprisingly. I think the current draft has an excellent range of players. Also since we don't have the major team merry-go-round it won't be as difficult to draft and would again avoid proven partnerships
I like this draft, but I'd prefer the next one without the no mates rule. Just simple straight snake draft.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I like this draft, but I'd prefer the next one without the no mates rule. Just simple straight snake draft.
Agreed.

I like the idea of alternating themes so no two drafts in a row are too similar. I think 46-66 No Mates would be a great draft but I'd rather have another Monopoly or Sheep or something different before doing that theme again. i think different themes in consecutive drafts is important to keep it fresh.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Maybe we can have an experimental draft, i.e experiment with playing players out of position.

It'll be an all time draft, but you cannot play the players at the Top 2 primary position. For example, Messi can't be played as CF or RW (but can be played LW), Pele can't be played as CF or AM and so on.

The theme will be to argue the suitability of players to a new position.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Maybe we can have an experimental draft, i.e experiment with playing players out of position.

It'll be an all time draft, but you cannot play the players at the Top 2 primary position. For example, Messi can't be played as CF or RW (but can be played LW), Pele can't be played as CF or AM and so on.

The theme will be to argue the suitability of players to a new position.
That is potentially pretty interesting as there's a few players who I think would work well in non-standard positions although with versatile players like Luis Enrique the only positions he really didn't play would be CF or CB- so even if he's not box-to-box you could end up with inane arguments about whether he is in fact playing out of position.

I think my favourite of the draft ideas is an all-time one with nationality and era restrictions. I've never been a fan of the more random drafts

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm happy for their to be a sheep draft with an added rule in aswell. Another draft similar to what we've just had will make it stale and boring. I think we should alternate between a serious draft like we've just had and a more fun draft like sheep/auction/monopoly

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What are your expectations for the next draft?

New players? More constraints in terms of drafting? More hazard? More tactical considerations? More players? More strategy?

New rules: for example, onenil did want Ronaldinho & giggs injured while skizzanah did want Litmanen & Maldini out before the game?

Tuppet

When on Kante's thread I was thinking if we can accommodate 1 or 2 season wonders in one of the drafts. If we ban like top 200 players and then make the peak only 1 or 2 seasons, that would probably lead to selection of some interesting players like Vardy or Adriano.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The AAA Draft - All-time All-mode Auction Draft

All time auction draft.
Nationality - Not more than 2 players per country (by birth).
Region - Not more than 4 players from any single continent (National Team).
Decade - Not more than 2 players per decade (Date of birth).
FFFP - Not more than 1 player above $50m bid price.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Siblingdraft/generationdraft: state your birthyear, pick players +/- 2 years your age.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Siblingdraft/generationdraft: state your birthyear, pick players +/- 2 years your age.
Nice concept. If you were born in 1962, you'd really hit the jackpot:

Schmeichel
Amoros Bergomi Baresi Brehme
Gullit Matthaus Rijkaard
Maradona-Laudrup
Van Basten​

Subs: Enzo, Butragueno, Lineker, Valderrama, Papin, Van der Elst

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Please feel free to amend.. and improve this very vague outline.

'Squad' Draft

Your task.. to take your team to glory in a 2 legged knock-out competition, with one stipulation.. all 22 members of your squad must be used.

Drafting Process

Rounds 1-9 (Criteria based auction)

How this will work is that, if criteria 1 is (i.e. won the world cup).. every manager must contribute two names to go into the auction (this will just be posted into the main thread, no need to do it in any precise order - just update the list), they can be of any position apart from goalkeeper (who will have their own round dedicated to them).

Once the names have been submitted and we have 32 names submitted for that round, the auction process for that round will begin. By the end of round 9, every manager should have 18 players in their squad (including 2 goalkeepers).

The remaining 2 rounds (4 outfield players), will be a straightforward snake draft, with each manager just getting a single pick at a time to avoid unfairness down the bottom of the order and the situation where the guy picking last picks up 4 players in one pick.

Re-reinforcement (QF's)

Everyone drops 4 players from their squad. Followed by 2 rounds of sheep draft, where you pick 4 players from the losing squads.

Stick or Twist - Squad Revamp (SF Reinforcement)

You can swap your Team A or B from your QF match up, with a Team A or B used by a loser in their QF match up. Lets just say your strategy has always been to have a strong first XI (i.e. Team A), you can choose to keep this XI but your weaker team B, can be swapped for a team B from a QF match up.. so you can gain 11 new players.

If you choose not to exercise this option, you will forfeit the right to upgrade your squad.

Reinforcement for Final

Standard snake reinforcement, pick 2 players and drop 2 players from your squad.

How the matches will work

Option A
(both teams submit both their lineups in one draft encounter and voters are asked, who would win this game on aggregate). Quicker option, but people might get confused by the OP and not understand who is playing who.

Option B
(We have a first leg and a second leg, accumulate the votes cast in both legs and voter who has the most votes overall wins). I like this option but am worried about the number of matches which would have to be played and the duration the tournament would take. Maybe we can use this for QF's or SF's onwards.

In the case of a tie in either option, it goes to the team judged to have the better pair of goalkeepers by the goalkeeping committee.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Btw, I would like for us to have an Eastern European draft at some point. I can host it

harms

Staff
Nice concept. If you were born in 1962, you'd really hit the jackpot:

Schmeichel
Amoros Bergomi Baresi Brehme
Gullit Matthaus Rijkaard
Maradona-Laudrup
Van Basten​

Subs: Enzo, Butragueno, Lineker, Valderrama, Papin, Van der Elst
I'm in

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Btw, I would like for us to have an Eastern European draft at some point. I can host it
Should be done, and should be prioritized too, we've banged on about it for ages now.

I like the regional/league specific theme myself. Makes it more likely that you end up learning something.

All these fancy ideas are great for introducing variety and keeping things from going stale (which was a danger at one point, I think), but at the end of the day what keeps me interested is the highlighting of players and teams I'm not that familiar with - the «game» part is secondary to the «learn something new» part for me, which is especially true from a neutral point of view.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Sounds great. So many players from that part of the world that I'd like to know more about, and doubtless many that I've never even heard of. There's one guy that I picked previously (his only draft appearance I think) that looked incredible that I'd like to revisit.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Unpicked Player Draft - Every player a manager has picked in preceding 3 (or maybe 5) drafts are ineligible for him to be picked in this draft. So the pool varies from player to player. It forces the managers to choose unfamiliar players and might be interesting. If a manager hasn't participated in 3 (or 5) previous drafts, we'll just allot him the pool of another manager who has played as block.

harms

Staff

Re: Eastern Europe.

If the draft will take place (not necessarily after this one), we need to create our own definition of Eastern Europe, as it varies from source to source.
I propose this map with a few points:
  • not sure about including Germany at all* and don't know, whenever to include Greece or not - discuss
  • Turkey definitely misses out, a different culture
  • All players born in the territories that were a part of the multinational countries likes USSR or Yugoslavia are available. Even the likes of Kazakhstan and Kirghizia make it as parts of USSR although I'm pretty sure that no one from those states will be picked anyway (Georgia have a few quality players even though as an independent state it's hard to consider it part of Europe).

So, basically, big guns in Hungary, USSR (all states including the ones on the far East), Poland and Yugoslavia + a few players from here and there.

Players' country is determined by his hometown - it has to be in the Eastern European country, so the likes of Ibrahimovic misses out

*with modern players available for all the other states like Russia or Serbia we'll need to include some of the modern Germans who were born in the GDR territories, which will be against the spirit of the draft, imo.

antohan

Sounds great. So many players from that part of the world that I'd like to know more about, and doubtless many that I've never even heard of. There's one guy that I picked previously (his only draft appearance I think) that looked incredible that I'd like to revisit.
The Greek Russian? Who was that? Total numpty.

harms

Staff
Didn't you have one while I was away? Or was that just a sheep draft round I'm thinking about?
Nope, discussed it but never had it. We wanted to have 2 big geographical drafts, SA and EE, and only had the former.

With ≈20-30 usual suspects gone in the first rounds it will open up a pretty interesting and unexplored pool.