Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I propose this map with a few points:
  • not sure about including Germany at all* and don't know, whenever to include Greece or not - discuss
  • Turkey definitely misses out, a different culture
  • All players born in the territories that were a part of the multinational countries likes USSR or Yugoslavia are available. Even the likes of Kazakhstan and Kirghizia make it as parts of USSR although I'm pretty sure that no one from those states will be picked anyway (Georgia have a few quality players even though as an independent state it's hard to consider it part of Europe).

So, basically, big guns in Hungary, USSR (all states including the ones on the far East), Poland and Yugoslavia + a few players from here and there.

Players' country is determined by his hometown - it has to be in the Eastern European country, so the likes of Ibrahimovic misses out

*with modern players available for all the other states like Russia or Serbia we'll need to include some of the modern Germans who were born in the GDR territories, which will be against the spirit of the draft, imo.
For Germany, I would propose anyone with a cap for East Germany qualifies. That keeps all of the modern Germans out, but keeps the sense of era that's important here IMO.

Happy with the map.
Unpicked Player Draft - Every player a manager has picked in preceding 3 (or maybe 5) drafts are ineligible for him to be picked in this draft. So the pool varies from player to player. It forces the managers to choose unfamiliar players and might be interesting. If a manager hasn't participated in 3 (or 5) previous drafts, we'll just allot him the pool of another manager who has played as block.
That's interesting. An actual unpicked player draft comprising all players who have never played in any of our drafts would be something else. I think the pool's big enough, but it might be too scattergun to generate a proper theme. Not sure, it would be quite an experience having a mega-list of blocked players frustrating managers.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's interesting. An actual unpicked player draft comprising all players who have never played in any of our drafts would be something else. I think the pool's big enough, but it might be too scattergun to generate a proper theme. Not sure, it would be quite an experience having a mega-list of blocked players frustrating managers.
Yeah, agreed. I chose a limited and dynamic version because there are player which other managers have picked but never by myself. This means the pool will be different for different managers and they have to pick players outside their comfort zone.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For Germany, I would propose anyone with a cap for East Germany qualifies. That keeps all of the modern Germans out, but keeps the sense of era that's important here IMO.

Happy with the map.
Yeah, it's a good suggestion

Enigma_87

You know who
There are some Georgian players that can make the cut but I don't think they should be in it @harms . Much closer to Asia than to Europe.

harms

Staff
There are some Georgian players that can make the cut but I don't think they should be in it @harms . Much closer to Asia than to Europe.
Yeah, from all non-European Soviet states a few Georgian players and probably Micky can make the cut.

It's open to discussion - they were a part of the Soviet football system, many of them played for Dinamo/Spartak etc., so culturally they are much closer to the Eastern Europe even though geographically they aren't Europeans.

Those are the states in question. I would like to hear people's opinion on this - I believe that they should be included but won't be too bothered if you lot won't agree
Georgia
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan

harms

Staff
Behind The Curtain: Eastern European draft

Draft rules:

1. Only the players who were born in the countries listed below are available for selection. Player's nationality is defined by the place of their birth, not by their ancestry (so the likes of Ibrahimovic aren't eligible). The only exception to this rule are players that represent East Germany (GDR) - only players with caps for East Germany are eligible, regardless of their place of birth.

2. This is a traditional Snake draft - all picks will be made from top to bottom and back, one pick at a time. Manager's position will be assigned randomly.

3. The initial drafting will end when the 12th round finishes, every manager will have 12 players in his team at that point.

4. Every manager has 8 hours to make his pick. The countdown starts after the previous manager made his pick and tagged the next manager. After 8 hours had passed, the next in line is free to make his pick.

5. Reinforcements are going to be held in a snake format, from the opposite side of the list (so, from the bottom in the first reinforcement round etc.). Every manager will have 2 picks from an open pool (both eliminated and unpicked players) before the quarters and the semi-finals and 1 last pick before the final.

6. All names should be spellchecked before posting. Names should be posted in a format like this: L. Messi, Z. Ibrahimović, M. Fellaini. This is done to make ctrl+F search more effective, considering the amount of unforced mistakes in the last drafts. For that reason, officially there isn't any difference between, say, "c" and "ć", as the search engine sees them as one. The aesthetic preference is to make everything authentic though.

7. No co-managers allowed. You can have a scout (who, obviously, won't have a vote in your game), but there is no room in this draft for the additional wait because you can't make a decision without your partner.

8. After the draw was done, the managers have 1 week to schedule the game. If they can't because of one manager, he gets eliminated on a technicality.

9. The OP with the formation should be sent to @harms before 12:00 GMT on the scheduled day. If a manager fails to do that, he gets eliminated on a technicality. If there is a valid reason for the miss, the final decision can be discussed with the draft manager).

8. In any unspecified situation @harms has a final say on the matter.

LIST OF THE AVAILABLE COUNTRIES AND STATES:
  • Albania
  • Belarus
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Hungary
  • Kosovo
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Macedonia
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Ukraine
  • Those non-European post-Soviet states are also included in the pool:
  • Georgia
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uzbekistan
  • Those nonexistent countries are also included:
  • Soviet Union (USSR)
  • Czechoslovakia
  • Yugoslavia
  • East Germany (GDR)*

*Only players with caps for East Germany are eligible

Managers interested:
  1. @Edgar Allan Pillow
  2. @Moby
  3. @Raees
  4. @Downcast
  5. @Jayvin
  6. @Skizzo
  7. @mazhar13
  8. @Pat_Mustard
  9. @Tuppet
  10. @BorisDeLeFora
  11. @Anders Emil Våge
  12. @Chesterlestreet
  13. @Šjor Bepo
  14. @Enigma_87
  15. @The Red Viper
  16. @Gio

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Aye that's him. I'm sure someone posted a video of him fecking up really badly on a TV quiz show but I can't find it.
Iirc it was a generic picture of a feck up on a TV quiz as a response to some dumb stuff Hatzipanagis actually said or did

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

harms

Staff
Aye that's him. I'm sure someone posted a video of him fecking up really badly on a TV quiz show but I can't find it.
Probably this, although the picture isn't available anymore

I think it was anto who posted it the last time, but here you go again :D

is that really him by the way? I've no idea to be honest :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If you opt for a Soviet Empire draft, I think the non-European post-Soviet states deserve to be included (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan).

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I can't believe we are discussing on Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan or even Georgia. I don't see us making an Asian Draft anytime soon, so the EE draft will be as close as any for them to get picked.

I say, chuck them in the pool.
:lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Let's welcome new faces.

Siblingdraft/generationdraft: state your birthyear, pick players +/- 2 years your age.
Alright! Going to type out some observations.

The flank with Figo and Montero is really interesting. A prime Figo is a good a winger as any, and I can't see Rivaldo helping Montero much defensively - Sousa will have to do a lot of work down that flank, potentially opening up some space in the middle for Gascoigne. The same can be said for the opposite flank with Cole not getting much help from Villa, but I don't think Ljungberg was quite as good as Figo, which leads me to my next observation.

Tugay sticks out a bit in the midfield battle. Although a good player in his day I think he comes up slightly short of the players he has to contend with here. Together with Totti's ability to drop deep, I think a pretty clear possession advantage will be to Aldo/Prath, which isn't inherently a bad thing as that might give Figo 1v1 situations against Montero, which with Larsson's and Villa's clever movement might become problematic to defend for Vidic and Hierro. As a side note even though Larsson is good in the air I don't think he'll have much fortune there in this match up as Vidic and Hierro are at least equally as good - Figo has to keep his crosses low.

If Team Aldo/Prath has the possession advantage and Team PatBepo defends deep Lloris has to use every bit of his great shot stopping. There might not be much space in the box for them, but Team Aldo has at least three players good at long range efforts (Rivaldo, Deco, Totti), and being comfortable in possession I think they'll get at least a few chances to find space in front of the opposition box to shoot from.

This is a close one for me due to how highly I rate Figo in 1v1 situations. If he gets injured (they can get injured right?) I think Team PatBepo will have a difficult time getting much out of the game. Really fun match up with two good teams.
Interested in the next draft?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If you go eastern Europe for the next draft I'll take a watching and learning role as I really have zero idea about the region.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I can't believe we are discussing on Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan or even Georgia. I don't see us making an Asian Draft anytime soon, so the EE draft will be as close as any for them to get picked.

I say, chuck them in the pool.
Agreed.

It's slightly more of a stretch, but I wouldn't mind Greece and Turkey being included too. There's a small amount of interesting players that rarely feature otherwise, similarly to North and Central America being included in the Americas Draft.

harms

Staff
Agreed.

It's slightly more of a stretch, but I wouldn't mind Greece and Turkey being included too. There's a small amount of interesting players that rarely feature otherwise, similarly to North and Central America being included in the Americas Draft.
I want to joke about the assassination but I'll go to hell for that. All of the EE countries that I listed (well, the one that have actual footballers, so not Estonia or Moldova) have the same mentality in common (even those non-European post-Soviet republics), imo, with little differences that make them interesting, and that can't be said about Turkey. Greece - I don't know, I wouldn't include it myself but I'm open to other opinions.

Pat_Mustard

I want to joke about the assassination but I'll go to hell for that. All of the EE countries that I listed (well, the one that have actual footballers, so not Estonia or Moldova) have the same mentality in common (even those non-European post-Soviet republics), imo, with little differences that make them interesting, and that can't be said about Turkey. Greece - I don't know, I wouldn't include it myself but I'm open to other opinions.
I don't mind either way. Including them would flesh out the pool a bit, but if you feel it would dilute the theme its not really worth it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Eastern European is a great theme although its not my strong point at all.

I do belive all former Soviet satellites should be included. They were part of that EE Soviet culture far more than Asian. Armenia for instance competes in the Euro qualifying for FIFA, was the first Christian nation and culturally is light years closer to Russia than China. look at famous Armenian actor Gor Vardanyan. Probably most popular current Armenian actor and his movies are very culturally influenced by Russia and not even remotely close to Chinese and Asian cinema.

Those former Soviet satellites (at least Armenia) are far more 'Eastern European' than Asian. While some geographer might say "Armenia is technically in Asia" the cultural reality is that for thousands of years since Alexander the Great, culturally "Asia" doesn't begin until you are well on the other side of the Caspian sea let along still by the Black Sea.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Happy with the map.

I would be interested in that. Plenty of players worthy of a runout. I already even have a first XI in mind.

The arse will be the research to support such draft-unworthy players. I'm not overly keen on spending ages putting gifs together that nobody will care all that much about.

I guess all involved will need to shate a certain enthusiasm for learning rather than being too bothered about the business of winning.

Pat_Mustard

If you go eastern Europe for the next draft I'll take a watching and learning role as I really have zero idea about the region.
Frantic research and plenty of bluffing would see you through mate :). I guarantee that this draft will see plenty of us arguing furiously about players that we've never seen or possibly even heard of up until now (even more so than in usual drafts :D).

I just tried to make a list without researching and I haven't even reached 100 names yet. There's doubtless a few obvious ones I'm missing but I've also included some pure shite to bulk the list out a bit.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Frantic research and plenty of bluffing would see you through mate :). I guarantee that this draft will see plenty of us arguing furiously about players that we've never seen or possibly even heard of up until now (even more so than in usual drafts :D).

I just tried to make a list without researching and I haven't even reached 100 names yet. There's doubtless a few obvious ones I'm missing but I've also included some pure shite to bulk the list out a bit.
I don't think I'd reach 20 though :lol:

I'll just wait for the one after this if it is the route you go and hope it's a sheep one.

Enigma_87

You know who

I think the pool is deep enough. You have 50 pretty known faces if you go through best Red Star and Partizan teams, also the Hungarians, Bulgaria 1994 and of course the Soviet teams, Czech, Steaua in the 80's, pretty known Ukrainians and Croatians and so forth.

Probably up to 80-90 players pool will be more common known players and the last picks will be more trickier.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I'd love to, but I'm still a newbie, so could cause complications. I'll be watching though! Love me som eastern Europe action.
lets pull some strings to get this guy promoted, not only a new face in the draft but with that name you dont deserve to be a newbie:drool:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'd love to, but I'm still a newbie, so could cause complications. I'll be watching though! Love me som eastern Europe action.
Its no big deal. I participated in my first draft, the Americas Draft as a newbie. I can say you can do it! Feel free to ask me any questions

You do have to be a little disciplined some days and try not to post on other topics but you can always PM your picks to neutrals and draft master

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I don't think I'd reach 20 though :lol:

I'll just wait for the one after this if it is the route you go and hope it's a sheep one.
If you want to play in the Eastern PNut we could try co-manage. EE is my weakest geographic zone in footballing knowledge and I am not sure on random time commitments I might have in January so I would appreciate the help in research

Pat_Mustard

Sergey Randomzlav is really the original Maldini. Cesare banged his wife staring at a picture of Sergey producing Paolo. It's all in the genes :lol:
That's the spirit mate :lol:

I think the pool is deep enough. You have 50 pretty known faces if you go through best Red Star and Partizan teams, also the Hungarians, Bulgaria 1994 and of course the Soviet teams, Czech, Steaua in the 80's, pretty known Ukrainians and Croatians and so forth.

Probably up to 80-90 players pool will be more common known players and the last picks will be more trickier.
Aye its a deep enough pool. There's not going to be many obscure gems unearthed if everybody can rattle off 200 quality names with no effort. I just wanted to get to 100+ without researching as a challenge/vanity project and I'm just about there, albeit with a few very speculative inclusions.

EDIT: and about 90 spelling mistakes