Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If you want to play in the Eastern PNut we could try co-manage. EE is my weakest geographic zone in footballing knowledge and I am not sure on random time commitments I might have in January so I would appreciate the help in research
I literally don't have a clue though mate and as you saw from the last draft research isn't a big part of my strategy :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'd love to, but I'm still a newbie, so could cause complications. I'll be watching though! Love me som eastern Europe action.
Its no big deal. I participated in my first draft, the Americas Draft as a newbie. I can say you can do it! Feel free to ask me any questions

You do have to be a little disciplined some days and try not to post on other topics but you can always PM your picks to neutrals and draft master
@oneniltothearsenal is right.

A game is spread over 2 days. You can also PM us.

BorisDeLeFora

I would be interested assuming there is space of course, but I'm not sure if I have the knowledge, I enjoyed the research aspect of the Americas draft but at the same time found it quite difficult to fully grasp the qualities and limitations of my and my opponents players in match situations, especially as for some players there was limited information (that I could find/understand at least). Maybe I just stick to more modern/famous players.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I would be interested assuming there is space of course, but I'm not sure if I have the knowledge, I enjoyed the research aspect of the Americas draft but at the same time found it quite difficult to fully grasp the qualities and limitations of my and my opponents players in match situations, especially as for some players there was limited information (that I could find/understand at least). Maybe I just stick to more modern/famous players.
Others may disagree, of course, but the way I see it things have panned out in a largely "fair" (all is relative) way as far as this is concerned recently: As a draft community (call it what ye will) we're very much aware of the potential problems arising from including players for whom little or no hard "evidence" exists. And, if anything, it's become a calculated risk to draft such players. They will be questioned, both by your opponent and by neutrals.

Even fairly modern players have been scrutinized in recent drafts (because there isn't much photographic evidence of their exploits).

To me, it's simple: If you have only a very vague idea about what Player X would bring to the table (and is unable to back up any possible claim about him with anything solid), you don't draft him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I added one injury after the 1/8, he'll be unavailable until the final, what do you guys think? You can pick 2 players before 1/4 and semi-finals and 1 before the final (and the returning guy can be a big boost if you're lucky)

There aren't that much superstars in this pool so the banning of first two round picks in the reinforcements seems too harsh. Should I keep the injured player in? Or just go with a straightforward 2+2+1 reinforcements without any injuries?

Enigma_87

You know who
Injury before or after reinforcement pick?

I'd ban just the first pick alone in reinforcements to get rid of the usual suspects. Pool can live with 8 players being unavailable, I suppose.
To be honest only Puskas is far ahead of the rest in this pool. Apart from him I don't think it will be too much difference between a pool 1 pick and pool 2 pick

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Any bans like we has in the SAM draft for the likes of Pele and Maradona?
That would be inappropriate here where we are struggling to make a proper pool as it is. If we take away the stars, the interest in the draft won't be as great.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
To be honest only Puskas is far ahead of the rest in this pool. Apart from him I don't think it will be too much difference between a pool 1 pick and pool 2 pick
Maybe Pusakas is the obvious #1 pick, but Masopust, Stoichkov, Nedved, Sheva, Kocsis, Hidegkuti are all popular R1 picks...R2 will get definitely a bigger drop in popular names imo. Yeah, I'd say there are about 10-15 popular picks which will get covered in R1. So the gap to R2 will be significant imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I added one injury after the 1/8, he'll be unavailable until the final, what do you guys think? You can pick 2 players before 1/4 and semi-finals and 1 before the final (and the returning guy can be a big boost if you're lucky)

There aren't that much superstars in this pool so the banning of first two round picks in the reinforcements seems too harsh. Should I keep the injured player in? Or just go with a straightforward 2+2+1 reinforcements without any injuries?
I think being too harsh with injuries and reinforcements in a niche draft like this, doesn't make sense to me.

It will be tough enough carrying out the research and trying to sell unheard of players which past round 4, I am sure we will all start scraping around.. having to deal with injuries and not being able to add a star to the ranks, I think it won't make the draft enjoyable.

Focus should be on trying to get to know the eastern european roster of players, great and unheard of. Less emphasis should be placed on dealing with factors like luck.

harms

Staff
Injury before or after reinforcement pick?

I'd ban just the first pick alone in reinforcements to get rid of the usual suspects. Pool can live with 8 players being unavailable, I suppose.
Before. And it will be 16 players, not 8?

harms

Staff
Any bans like we has in the SAM draft for the likes of Pele and Maradona?
Don't think that Puskas is so far ahead of the rest, there are some cracking picks in the first rounds. Plus having an EE draft without him is just wrong

harms

Staff
8 for R1, 12 for QF and 14 for SF...but never 16. :smirk:

Pedantics aside, personally I'm not fond of injuries outside of light drafts like Reality. If you are calling for a poll, I'd vote for no injuries at all.
Oh, yeah, my bad.

Yeah, if this idea won't be received well I'll change it, it's not that important for me.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
List of Drafts:

Draft I:
Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Polaroid's - Man Utd Legends Draft (Winner: DanNistelrooy)
Draft V: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft VI: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VII: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VIII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft IX: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft X: The Next Generation Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft XI: World Cup All Time All Stars Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XII: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XIII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIIV: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XVI: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVII: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVIII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIX: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XXI: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXII: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXIII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIV: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXVI: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVII: Physiocrat's Billy No Mates Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito/Gio)
Draft XXVIII: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXIX: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: RedTiger/Joga Bonito/Balu)
Draft XXX: Joga's Remake Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XXXI: EAP's Double Draft (Winner: harms)
Draft XXXII: Chesterlestreet's Americas Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Joga Bonito)
Draft XXXIII: EAP/anto's Las Vegas Monopoly Draft (Winner: Jayvin)
Draft XXXIV: Physiocrat's Surveillance Draft (Winner: TBC)
Draft XXXV: harms's Eastern European Draft (Winner: TBC)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

As a general principle, the smaller the pool the fewer barriers to creating teams. On that basis I would be comfortable with removing any bans, restrictions on reinforcements and injuries to keep as it as straightforward as possible.

harms

Staff
As a general principle, the smaller the pool the fewer barriers to creating teams. On that basis I would be comfortable with removing any bans, restrictions on reinforcements and injuries to keep as it as straightforward as possible.
Yeah, you're probably right. Will remove the injury.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
God, I'd love to be involved in the EE Draft as I absolutely love that region, but I'm unsure about having enough time to be involved in it. I guess I can make myself an AM/co-manager if anyone is interested.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't feel very strongly about it, but for me adding restrictions (like injuries and whatnot) should serve a purpose. In the case of injuries:

A) It's that kind of draft - random shit thrown at the managers.

B) It's a draft with too many familar players - use injuries to force the managers to field lesser known names (could just block 'em to begin with, but hey).

C) It's a purely tactical draft, where drafting a squad is the primary idea, i.e. the manager is supposed to draft with injuries in mind.

If none of the above, it's pointless. I don't like the idea of randomised injuries being a permanent feature of draft matches.

ETA Bottom line: Randomness is tricky. If being prepared for random blows is part and parcel - then fine. If not - no. You should never punish someone randomly in a "serious" kind of draft. And that goes doubly if it's a draft with a particular theme, such as region or league (where the basic idea is to highlight players and teams representing said region or league).

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
  1. EAP
  2. Dick
  3. Raees
  4. Downcast
  5. antohan
  6. Jayvin
  7. Skizzo
  8. Onenil
  9. Pat_Bustard
  10. Tuppet
  11. Chester
  12. Boris
  13. Anders whatsisname
  14. Sjor
  15. Enigma

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't feel very strongly about it, but for me adding restrictions (like injuries and whatnot) should serve a purpose. In the case of injuries:

B) It's a draft with too many familar players - use injuries to force the managers to field lesser known names (could just block 'em to begin with, but hey).

C) It's a purely tactical draft, where drafting a squad is the primary idea, i.e. the manager is supposed to draft with injuries in mind.

If none of the above, it's pointless. I don't like the idea of randomised injuries being a permanent feature of draft matches.
I agree with Chester.

Although I understand the reason behind injuries - having more versatile squad and capable of putting changes and new approach to the game, but in this draft doesn't make much sense.

Enigma_87

You know who
Don't think that Puskas is so far ahead of the rest, there are some cracking picks in the first rounds. Plus having an EE draft without him is just wrong
Well he's the standout for me. Like Messi in the last draft. There's Ronaldo, there's Maldini etc, but considering the CB options (this draft IMO has more depth in quality in full backs rather than CB's) he'll be a standout.

Having said that I agree that less blocked the better especially if we want to appreciate all players in a certain region.

Annahnomoss

I agree. Just too many flaws with the injuries right now, i.e the entire draft becomes about who gets lucky with the dice and who doesn't. Not even any joy in winning a match that was even before the dice roll and I would have enjoyed it more if I got to play the entire duration against an even side. Maybe just having a tactical-change after 70 minutes that are based of the current result would make squad players as important to have and they'd feature more.

Say you are a few votes down and you throw on Solsjkaer to get back in to the game, while the opponent may just replace some tired legs or get a harder working striker in.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Say you are a few votes down and you throw on Solsjkaer to get back in to the game, while the opponent may just replace some tired legs or get a harder working striker in.
This is the very thing I've been banging on about.

Unless you can use substitutions realistically, i.e. like how the manager actually uses 'em in a match - they don't serve any general purpose.

They can serve a particular purpose in certain drafts, as a means to make it more difficult for the managers, yes - but that's pure bamboozle, forcing the managers to make changes, hitting them with random obstacles, game style.

You should be able to draft a 14 man squad and use OGS the way he was actually used - as an impact sub. You don't throw him on because of some random "injury" but because you feel that he would cause trouble for your opponent's defenders after 60 or 70 or 80 minutes of football.

Presently, though, we clearly can't incorporate that sort of "realistic" substitution in the basic "match" model we use - and so, well, there we are.

Randomised injuries is not a bad idea at all - but the concept clearly isn't suited to any kind of draft. It comes down to the basic difference between a "fun" draft and a "serious" one, I think.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Glad we are all in general agreement regarding this issue.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@harms hope you will play as well, would be a shame if you miss out on this particular topic.

Annahnomoss

This is the very thing I've been banging on about.

Unless you can use substitutions realistically, i.e. like how the manager actually uses 'em in a match - they don't serve any general purpose.

They can serve a particular purpose in certain drafts, as a means to make it more difficult for the managers, yes - but that's pure bamboozle, forcing the managers to make changes, hitting them with random obstacles, game style.

You should be able to draft a 14 man squad and use OGS the way he was actually used - as an impact sub. You don't throw him on because of some random "injury" but because you feel that he would cause trouble for your opponent's defenders after 60 or 70 or 80 minutes of football.

Presently, though, we clearly can't incorporate that sort of "realistic" substitution in the basic "match" model we use - and so, well, there we are.

Randomised injuries is not a bad idea at all - but the concept clearly isn't suited to any kind of draft. It comes down to the basic difference between a "fun" draft and a "serious" one, I think.
Yeah I agree completely. What we can take away from the experiment is the fact that subs can be made in the thread so only people who read the thread will take it into account. 70 minutes in also seem like a good period to have a tactical opportunity to make changes to adjust to the current result. It isn't enough time to come back from a huge tactical mistake so that would be punished, but it is enough to bring an impact sub on like OGS or to remove a striker and go for another defender/midfielder to defend the lead while you rely more on countering.