Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
very vague concept, not even sure how it would work.. but I like the idea of end of year (november time, ends by 31st Nov), everyone can bring out their own personal best draft side from the year out of all the drafts they participated in for that year and we have a best of the best type competition for the year.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Wondering if anyone has any other sites that collect data and stats from the past. The sites I've learned from the drafts are

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/

http://www.dbscalcio.it/

http://www.worldfootball.net/

http://www.rsssf.com/

Does anyone have any other sites where you can find match or season data?
Mainly for La Liga, but it contains some other season-by-season stats: http://www.bdfutbol.com/en/index.html

Bundesliga: http://www.fussballdaten.de/

Detailed info about players: http://www.transfermarkt.com/

I think you found this one, but I'm posting it here nonetheless (World Cup): http://www.everyfourthyear.com/

Another World Cup one: http://www.planetworldcup.com/index.html

Manchester United: http://stretfordend.co.uk/

AS Roma: http://www.almanaccogiallorosso.it/

That's all I have for now.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Does anyone fancy an easy to play draft next time round? Either sheep for the laughs or a modern pl one? I've considered running one for the non draft regulars so that they could have an easy introduction to it but I would like to play one like that against some of the drafters that play regularly.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Has there ever been a Man Utd draft?
Yups, it was 8 managers only though. I don't think anyone had even a remote interest in delving into such obscure players as a 16 manager draft would have required. In fact, with so many long-time servants you would probably need to pick players who were never starters to begin with leading to Buttner vs. Best scenarios.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How come there's never been a pure Serie A draft? :(

List of Drafts:

Draft I:
Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Polaroid's - Man Utd Legends Draft (Winner: DanNistelrooy)
Draft V: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft VI: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VII: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VIII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft IX: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft X: The Next Generation Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft XI: World Cup All Time All Stars Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XII: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XIII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIIV: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XVI: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVII: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVIII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIX: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XXI: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXII: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXIII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIV: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXVI: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVII: Physiocrat's Billy No Mates Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito/Gio)
Draft XXVIII: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXIX: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: RedTiger/Joga Bonito/Balu)
Draft XXX: Joga's Remake Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XXXI: EAP's Double Draft (Winner: harms)
Draft XXXII: Chesterlestreet's Americas Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Joga Bonito)
Draft XXXIII: EAP/anto's Las Vegas Monopoly Draft (Winner: Jayvin)
Draft XXXIV: Physiocrat's Surveillance Draft (Winner: Tuppet)
Draft XXXV: harms's Eastern European Draft (Winner: TBC)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Good news, there are still some new ideas for the future:

- Serie A
- La Liga
- a draft 'Second-class leagueS' ---> guys who played in one of the 4 selected leagues (French,Dutch,Portuguese...)
- The losers: guys who didn't win a major trophy (scope to be discussed: wc, euro..)

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
And I think the possibility to pick 13 players should be a standard practice

Last edited:

Tuppet

I saw this pretty cool EU draft idea on another forum, could be fun drafting process with a few tweaks -

5 EU pools as per - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union#Member_states

Pool A (Founders)
Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and Germany

Pool B (1970s)
Denmark, Ireland, UK

Pool C (1980s)
Greece, Portugal, Spain

Pool D (1990s)
Austria, Finland, Sweden

Pool E (21st century)
Hungary, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia

You'd pick 14 players in snake order. You must pick at least 2 players from each pool. However, here's the catch: Your pick orders have to be A-B-C-D-E. You may not skip pools, and you may not go back.

For example, your first 3 picks might be from pool A. Then you want to move on, your next set of picks have to be from pool B. etc. You may not pick anyone from pool A once you've made the move to pool B. etc.

This works out because coincidentally, most of the best talents are in pool A and E. So you may want to spend more time picking from pool A, but that would mean others who rush forward, will get the best talent from the next pool. It'll allow people to choose how long they want to spend in the earlier more powerful pools.

Last edited:

Mani

I saw this pretty cool EU draft idea on another forum, could be fun drafting process with a few tweaks -

5 EU pools as per - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union#Member_states

Pool A (Founders)
Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and Germany

Pool B (1970s)
Denmark, Ireland, UK

Pool C (1980s)
Greece, Portugal, Spain

Pool D (1990s)
Austria, Finland, Sweden

Pool E (21st century)
Hungary, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia

You'd pick 14 players in snake order. You must pick at least 2 players from each pool. However, here's the catch: Your pick orders have to be A-B-C-D-E. You may not skip pools, and you may not go back.

For example, your first 3 picks might be from pool A. Then you want to move on, your next set of picks have to be from pool B. etc. You may not pick anyone from pool A once you've made the move to pool B. etc.

This works out because coincidentally, most of the best talents are in pool A and E. So you may want to spend more time picking from pool A, but that would mean others who rush forward, will get the best talent from the next pool. It'll allow people to choose how long they want to spend in the earlier more powerful pools.
Nice idea, why are countries not evenly spread out?
Also,dose the decade rule applicable for this one?

Tuppet

Nice idea, why are countries not evenly spread out?
Also,dose the decade rule applicable for this one?
Oh missed this post somehow. Anyway the countries were basically in the order they entered in EU. Which has nothing to do with draft concept really, we can totally make groups more balanced or groups out of SA countries or may be even create groups out of top 20 clubs of all time (e.g. Real madrid, Milan, Barca, Utd etc) playing in a super league. Decade rule could be applied here, as well either the chain (players must have played with one other player in the team) or no mates rule (players must not have played with any other player in the team). It should eventually depend on the pool, bigger the pool, more constraint there are.

Mani

Oh missed this post somehow. Anyway the countries were basically in the order they entered in EU. Which has nothing to do with draft concept really, we can totally make groups more balanced or groups out of SA countries or may be even create groups out of top 20 clubs of all time (e.g. Real madrid, Milan, Barca, Utd etc) playing in a super league. Decade rule could be applied here, as well either the chain (players must have played with one other player in the team) or no mates rule (players must not have played with any other player in the team). It should eventually depend on the pool, bigger the pool, more constraint there are.
I really love the idea,getting the SA countries in one group should make pool even wider,with the said restriction rules this should be more fun to play.
Kindly tag me once you start the thread.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
What about players who played for a club currently in the championship. Or players who never won a leaguetrophy.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What about players who played for a club currently in the championship. Or players who never won a leaguetrophy.
Impossible to isolate the pool for the second one for the oldies, plus there were different tournament systems in some countries over the years. You can use only modern players but they'll be mostly obscure

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Impossible to isolate the pool for the second one for the oldies, plus there were different tournament systems in some countries over the years. You can use only modern players but they'll be mostly obscure
Alright, what if you restrict the first one to players who made a PL appearance (for any club), but at some point played for any team in the current english championship or lower.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Alright, what if you restrict the first one to players who made a PL appearance (for any club), but at some point played for any team in the current english championship or lower.
If you're creating a single pool like that, you probably want some sort of theme going on to colour the draft. If it's simply an odd restriction, it probably works better as part of a wider sheep or lottery style draft where there are loads of challenging criteria on the go.

And I think the possibility to pick 13 players should be a standard practice
After right-back gate, I see why you were putting this one forward. ;)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Maybe an all time no restriction, no block draft. Just pure and simple team building.

Maybe add in a twist. All teams must use WM or a 2-3-5 (the formation will be announced prior to match) so flexibility in team building to be important.
That is a brilliant idea to be fair.

antohan

You guys are fixated with 2-3-5. Has anyone ever won a draft playing one? And I mean a proper one, not a 5-3-2 masquerading as 2-3-5.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I vote for @Tuppet idea, cool way to do it but vote no on making people to play those formations. Wouldn't really be as fun or exciting to see every match with same 2 formations.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You guys are fixated with 2-3-5. Has anyone ever won a draft playing one? And I mean a proper one, not a 5-3-2 masquerading as 2-3-5.
What about you in the Reality or Criteria Draft? or was that 3 at the back..

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm definitely playing the next draft. Missed the current one due to not having a clue about the pool. But I've got draft withdrawal symptoms.

antohan

What about you in the Reality or Criteria Draft? or was that 3 at the back..
Yeah, that was 3-2-5 with a Sammer-Neeskens-Baggio spine moving up and down to make it 4-4-1-1 off the ball. Much harder to pull off than a faux 2-3-5. A proper 2-3-5 would be quite a challenge though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah, that was 3-2-5 with a Sammer-Neeskens-Baggio spine moving up and down to make it 4-4-1-1 off the ball. Much harder to pull off than a faux 2-3-5. A proper 2-3-5 would be quite a challenge though.
Loved that side. Batshit crazy and no one else could have sold it as well (well EAP can sell anything).. Viva's team was class.

antohan

Loved that side. Batshit crazy and no one else could have sold it as well (well EAP can sell anything).. Viva's team was class.
The only batshit crazy thing was pulling off a Nedved-Baggio reinforcement combo being 6th in the order or so. Unreal, even when I planned for a wealth of creative reinforcements (went into the first game sporting Götze).

Viva was the opposite, got such a good side early on he ended up picking up players just for the sake of it and never really getting much better. If anything, he got tied up in knots with the difficulty of selling dubious improvements, and we know how that pans out.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
After right-back gate, I see why you were putting this one forward. ;)
No, it's only before the 2nd game that I've realized that crnncooockvic wasn't a proper LB :)

14-15 players enables a manager to have 2 very different tactical systems and adds a surprise effect in the sense that you are not sure about the starting 11 of the opposing team.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I had the seed of an idea. Maybe for a 2018 draft (or never as the case may be :)
. I was looking at list and I really like potential in the Remake and the Manager draft. I was thinking of some way to merge the concepts. But I like the idea of an all time draft of picking a manager and having to do something like emulate their best tactics/team. Player selection wouldn't be limited like manager's draft so Sacchi wouldn't be completely redundant to Capello. It could have some generation spanning requirements but something like the captain must have been managed by the Manager selected. This would open up the managers so a pool of 16 unique managers could be selected relatively balanced with a captain through history but then pool restrictions keeping each team unique mixed and not over powered based on the manager selected. The tactics would have to emulate the manage in some way as an added indication to increase focus on tactics and not just the best shiny names.

Michels, Ferguson, Clough, Sacchi, Cruyff, Santana, Bilardo, Bielsa, Herrera, Mourinho, Guardiola, Hitzfeld, Ancelotti, Chapman, Lobanovskyi, Wenger, Benitez, Scolari, Menotti, Beckenbauer, Del Bosque, Zagallo, Lippi, Löw, Ramsey, Paisley, Heynckes, Trappatoni

I know I'm even missing a few legends and that Manager pool is interesting to me as a 1st round pick to base rest of draft on.

Maybe snake draft with round 1 manager pick and round 2 player pick who had to have played under the manager. That would make the first two rounds very interesting strategic drafting. First pick would get the first manager but last player but the last pick would be restricted in which manager and which player he can pick with 1st of second round but still get the first player pick.

Last edited: