Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
One club all-time draft. First everyone send one club and one manager of that club to the draft master, that club is the only club from you can pick during the whole draft. As club/manager picks are via pm nobody knows(you can guess it after few rounds though) which club you picked so picking a club is not that simple, if you pick the club with GOAT pool you may end up battling with 3, 4 other managers during the draft and if you pick smartly you can end up having a great situation where you can tactically make your picks. Players would be rated via performances for that specific club, not career peak. Every manager would pick 13 players, snake style.
During the draft every player can use one of two joker cards. First joker card is career peak card so for example you can have Di Maria or Falcao at their best in your team even though both were crap for United.
Second joker card involves a manager that you sent before the draft, you can pick a player that played under him for the different club. So if you have United and Moyes you can pick Baines.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
One club all-time draft. First everyone send one club and one manager of that club to the draft master, that club is the only club from you can pick during the whole draft. As club/manager picks are via pm nobody knows(you can guess it after few rounds though) which club you picked so picking a club is not that simple, if you pick the club with GOAT pool you may end up battling with 3, 4 other managers during the draft and if you pick smartly you can end up having a great situation where you can tactically make your picks. Players would be rated via performances for that specific club, not career peak. Every manager would pick 13 players, snake style.
During the draft every player can use one of two joker cards. First joker card is career peak card so for example you can have Di Maria or Falcao at their best in your team even though both were crap for United.
Second joker card involves a manager that you sent before the draft, you can pick a player that played under him for the different club. So if you have United and Moyes you can pick Baines.
Like the sound of that. Quite simple and straightforward but still interesting enough.

Tuppet

I like the idea, except the PM part. If multiple people get on to same manager/club combination (e.g. 3 players on Mourinho/Chelsea, all who wants to avoid the usual GOAT combinations), I don't think there would be enough picks to go around. First round of snake to select manager/club combination would make more sense. Someone getting in on last of the snake to select managers would have less choices in managers but first dibs on players, so would even out a bit.

Šjor Bepo

I like the idea, except the PM part. If multiple people get on to same manager/club combination (e.g. 3 players on Mourinho/Chelsea, all who wants to avoid the usual GOAT combinations), I don't think there would be enough picks to go around. First round of snake to select manager/club combination would make more sense. Someone getting in on last of the snake to select managers would have less choices in managers but first dibs on players, so would even out a bit.
manager part is irrelevant for the regular draft though, if you pick Mourinho and Chelsea you can pick Winston Bogarde if you want. Mourinho only plays the role for the joker card. Think pm part is interesting, you can go safe and end up in the same boat with 5 managers who also had the same idea but you can also go big and hit the jackpot because everyone thought a certain club would be the most popular so they all went different route.

Tuppet

manager part is irrelevant for the regular draft though, if you pick Mourinho and Chelsea you can pick Winston Bogarde if you want. Mourinho only plays the role for the joker card. Think pm part is interesting, you can go safe and end up in the same boat with 5 managers who also had the same idea but you can also go big and hit the jackpot because everyone thought a certain club would be the most popular so they all went different route.
Ah ok, I read that post wrong. I thought only those players could be selected who played in the selected club and under the selected manager. I like the idea much more now, count me in.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It would've been literally the managers draft that we already had, with people choosing managers first and with the possibility of overlap

Moby

Dick
Alright gents. We REALLY need to have a real time audio conference skype/whatever draft!

Let's fecking do it. Just pick whatever theme and it has to be done. Probably something tricky coz we need live audio meltdowns.

Everyone needs to be online for like an hour. 2 minutes or so deadlines. Simple snake. Bringing 100% banter game recommended.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Alright gents. We REALLY need to have a real time audio conference skype/whatever draft!

Let's fecking do it. Just pick whatever theme and it has to be done. Probably something tricky coz we need live audio meltdowns.

Everyone needs to be online for like an hour. 2 minutes or so deadlines. Simple snake. Bringing 100% banter game recommended.
Tower of Babel: Audio draft

Can be fun though, thick accents should add some entertainment

Enigma_87

You know who

Just noticed your tagline :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I like it. Pretty straight-forward, yet potentially pretty tricky.

Possible negatives:

1. Reinforcements could be largely pointless. I'd suggest that the cards can't be played until the reinforcement rounds: Regular draft - only Club X players and only club peaks. Reinforcements - manager card + career peaks.

2. Quality difference between teams could be dramatic to the point where certain matchups will be walkovers.

Overall a fine idea, though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I had the seed of an idea. Maybe for a 2018 draft (or never as the case may be :)
. I was looking at list and I really like potential in the Remake and the Manager draft. I was thinking of some way to merge the concepts. But I like the idea of an all time draft of picking a manager and having to do something like emulate their best tactics/team. Player selection wouldn't be limited like manager's draft so Sacchi wouldn't be completely redundant to Capello. It could have some generation spanning requirements but something like the captain must have been managed by the Manager selected. This would open up the managers so a pool of 16 unique managers could be selected relatively balanced with a captain through history but then pool restrictions keeping each team unique mixed and not over powered based on the manager selected. The tactics would have to emulate the manage in some way as an added indication to increase focus on tactics and not just the best shiny names.

Michels, Ferguson, Clough, Sacchi, Cruyff, Santana, Bilardo, Bielsa, Herrera, Mourinho, Guardiola, Hitzfeld, Ancelotti, Chapman, Lobanovskyi, Wenger, Benitez, Scolari, Menotti, Beckenbauer, Del Bosque, Zagallo, Lippi, Löw, Ramsey, Paisley, Heynckes, Trappatoni

I know I'm even missing a few legends and that Manager pool is interesting to me as a 1st round pick to base rest of draft on.

Maybe snake draft with round 1 manager pick and round 2 player pick who had to have played under the manager. That would make the first two rounds very interesting strategic drafting. First pick would get the first manager but last player but the last pick would be restricted in which manager and which player he can pick with 1st of second round but still get the first player pick.
No Moyes?!!! :eek:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

If we are going to do it, it better be a simple theme so that we can come up with names on the spot in at most 5 minutes (5 minutes selected for quick research). Maybe a simple all-time draft with 2-3 blocks per manager, or a restricted-era draft (recent era) with no blocks. Basically, something simple enough that we don't need to take up time to research for.

And why not? This type of a draft might introduce a few new faces + bring back some of the older ones.

Šjor Bepo

I like it. Pretty straight-forward, yet potentially pretty tricky.

Possible negatives:

1. Reinforcements could be largely pointless. I'd suggest that the cards can't be played until the reinforcement rounds: Regular draft - only Club X players and only club peaks. Reinforcements - manager card + career peaks.

2. Quality difference between teams could be dramatic to the point where certain matchups will be walkovers.

Overall a fine idea, though.
id definitely would like to keep one joker from the start, in reinforcements round id agree it would be good to allow the second one as well as maybe allow a change of the second one(you can trade(once) old joker for new one so you cant use the first player in the tournament). Most will have few managers in their club choice and plenty of top players changed a lot of top clubs, add both joker cards and there should be plenty of options to strengthen the team.

For other issue dont think there is a solution, i guess thats a risk we take with each draft.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The Manager draft and one-club-all-time-draft (would the teams be predictable?) are interesting ideas
Another ideas for the future:

- Serie A
- La Liga
- 'Second-class leagueS' ---> guys who played in one of the 4 selected leagues (French,Dutch,Portuguese, Belgian...)
- The losers: guys who didn't win a major trophy (scope to be discussed: wc, euro, champions league...)
- Draft for players under 23 (or 24 or 25)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Manager draft and one-club-all-time-draft (would the teams be predictable?) are interesting ideas
They probably would to some degree if the manager lucks out and gets a free run at the team (i.e. nobody else picks his team).

But part of the fun would be to see what teams get multiple managers - and to see whether people have the balls to pick less obvious (but potentially gem filled) teams.

Plus, the majority of GOATs out there have played for several teams (and often huge teams at that, of the sort people would go for), so just landing a certain team is no guarantee for landing certain players.

I don’t know - it does strike me as a draft that would be great fun up till a point, but it could end with some less than very interesting match-ups.

On that note, I think we should try out - at some point - doing away with the first round of matches: Just eliminate the 8 teams people fancy the least before moving on to the quarters. NOTE: This obviously will not work in any kind of draft, but in a less serious one I think it might work well.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Chesterlestreet

You're right: there are many options.

I can see 2 extremes:

- Scenario A: no restrictions, any team can be picked
- Scenario B: a limited pool of 10 or 12 teams for 16 managers

Enigma_87

You know who
Perfect theme for the first Live Draft!
How does that work? I've seen it mentioned couple of times in the thread? we schedule a time in a joint convo and pick in successive order? What is the timeframe?

Moby

Dick
How does that work? I've seen it mentioned couple of times in the thread? we schedule a time in a joint convo and pick in successive order? What is the timeframe?
Yeah pretty much. Everyone has to be online for a timeframe of 2 odd hours max, they can't disconnect in the middle so have to be available constantly. Choose a conferencing client, skype whatever, and have 2 odd minutes deadline and draft players as we do. Live audio conference and commentary would be cool.

P-Nut

Also would love another sheep draft as an idea :)
Yes! I'd love a sheep draft just to add a bit of fun back in.

I'd be easy with that or the Skype idea but getting 16 people all available for 2 hours straight is going to be a nightmare. I think it would work better with 5 min deadlines and ran as a normal draft. That way you know to keep checking back in regularly but don't have to be constantly available for 2 hours.

Šjor Bepo

I'd be easy with that or the Skype idea but getting 16 people all available for 2 hours straight is going to be a nightmare. I think it would work better with 5 min deadlines and ran as a normal draft. That way you know to keep checking back in regularly but don't have to be constantly available for 2 hours.
The whole point of the live draft is interaction between players(would be brilliant if someone made that convo like a podcast so non playing followers can listen after), lots of brainfarts and meltdowns as you are put under pressure with time limit and no planning in advance.
It has a lot of good sides but i dont like it, best part of the draft is the actual draft so the longer we draft the better IMO and squeezing all that into 2 hours is a bit meh for me :)

P-Nut

The whole point of the live draft is interaction between players(would be brilliant if someone made that convo like a podcast so non playing followers can listen after), lots of brainfarts and meltdowns as you are put under pressure with time limit and no planning in advance.
It has a lot of good sides but i dont like it, best part of the draft is the actual draft so the longer we draft the better IMO and squeezing all that into 2 hours is a bit meh for me :)
Yeah I agree it would be better with everyone speaking to each other however having everyone available for 2 full hours at the exact same time without doing nlamything else would be nigh on impossible so a text based alternative is the only way I could see it being done.

In any case I can't see it being sorted in time for the next draft but it's something I definitely want to be a part of in the future.

Sheep draft after tomorrow's final would be my pick.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
So what's next? I liked the sound of EAP's All-Time Snake (Oil) Draft. Nice and straight forward after the last couple of drafts.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
So what's next? I liked the sound of EAP's All-Time Snake (Oil) Draft. Nice and straight forward after the last couple of drafts.
:lol: No offence intended of course. I think Physiocrat is looking at running a draft with players born between 1946 and 1966 at some stage, so that would include pretty much all of the 80s greats.
When do you plan to run this mate? Count me in if you do happen to run it any time in the near future.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
When do you plan to run this mate? Count me in if you do happen to run it any time in the near future.
My wife has a baby on the way within the next two weeks and being a private tutor, this period from now until June is really busy. So the No Mates '46-'66 draft will have to be July or so at the earliest. I also think having a bit of a rest from the No Mates theme would be good.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
My wife has a baby on the way within the next two weeks and being a private tutor, this period from now until June is really busy. So the No Mates '46-'66 draft will have to be July or so at the earliest. I also think having a bit of a rest from the No Mates theme would be good.
Sure thing and congrats.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

16 managers x 12 players = 192 players, even picking one per minute you are talking 3h12m. With 5 mins it's a 10-15h affair.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The point being it should be live with 30secs deadline. If it's all time it should be easy enough. And funnier.

P-Nut

16 managers x 12 players = 192 players, even picking one per minute you are talking 3h12m. With 5 mins it's a 10-15h affair.
The point being it should be live with 30secs deadline. If it's all time it should be easy enough. And funnier.
Ah yeah true I suppose hadn't bothered working out the timings.

What are people fancying next?

I definitely want to play having passed on the last one, however I'd enjoy a fun draft more than a more obscure region or league.

My suggestions would be along the lines of...

Sheep draft
Modern auction
Bamboozle

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Congrats, mate. Another future Caf member is coming ;)