Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I agree. Just too many flaws with the injuries right now, i.e the entire draft becomes about who gets lucky with the dice and who doesn't.
I was talking about the between the game injuries but it's gone now anyway.

Annahnomoss

I was talking about the between the game injuries but it's gone now anyway.
Wasn't referring to that at all just the previous drafts. No clue how you had formed it and maybe it was a good change, sorry if it seemed directed to you.

harms

Staff
@harms hope you will play as well, would be a shame if you miss out on this particular topic.
Not a fan of the idea of playing and managing the draft at the same time and I wanted to be more objective this time rather than just highlighting my own players

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is @antohan playing? If so I missed him when I created the original list
Thought from from this post...

I would be interested in that. Plenty of players worthy of a runout. I already even have a first XI in mind.

The arse will be the research to support such draft-unworthy players. I'm not overly keen on spending ages putting gifs together that nobody will care all that much about.

I guess all involved will need to shate a certain enthusiasm for learning rather than being too bothered about the business of winning.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Eastern European Draft Sign-Up
  1. EAP
  2. Dick
  3. Raees
  4. Downcast
  5. antohan
  6. Jayvin
  7. Skizzo
  8. Onenil
  9. Pat_Bustard
  10. Tuppet
  11. Chester
  12. Boris
  13. Anders whatsisname
  14. Sjor
  15. Enigma
AM/Co-Manager/Scout: Mazhar

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I thought that he was talking about the "unpicked" draft, but we'll wait for him to clarify on the matter. Hopefully he'll join.
Yes, I meant the unpicked one. Zero research, I know exactly the players I've always wished I could pick and have a minimal chance of them not being invisible.

harms

Staff
Managers interested:
  1. Edgar Allan Pillow
  2. Moby
  3. Raees
  4. Downcast
  5. Jayvin
  6. Skizzo
  7. oneniltothearsenal
  8. Pat_Mustard
  9. Tuppet
  10. BorisDeLeFora
  11. Anders Emil Våge
  12. Chesterlestreet
  13. Šjor Bepo
  14. Enigma_87
  15. The Red Viper

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Managers interested:
  1. Edgar Allan Pillow
  2. Moby
  3. Raees
  4. Downcast
  5. Jayvin
  6. Skizzo
  7. oneniltothearsenal
  8. Pat_Mustard
  9. Tuppet
  10. BorisDeLeFora
  11. Anders Emil Våge
  12. Chesterlestreet
  13. Šjor Bepo
  14. Enigma_87
  15. The Red Viper
  16. Gio

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We need to sort out better scrutinization of line-ups pre-game to warn against any rule-breaking, and more discipline relating to handing in of lineups and ensuring drafts don't overrun with delay between rounds. Last draft was ruined because of us the managers.. feel sorry for phsyiocrat because we as the managers fecked up.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
We need to sort out better scrutinization of line-ups pre-game to warn against any rule-breaking, and more discipline relating to handing in of lineups and ensuring drafts don't overrun with delay between rounds. Last draft was ruined because of us the managers.. feel sorry for phsyiocrat because we as the managers fecked up.
This draft is possibly the worst ever when it comes to accidental rule breaking since it's not that players are ineligible per se but particular combinations of individually eligible players when played together are ineligible. This will be much less of a problem with No Mates style drafts in earlier eras as there isn't the big sides merry-go-round e.g Milan - I discovered that Massimo Maccarone was there for a time.

With submission of teams I think we could impose a one week rule following the draw. If there's a no show after a week we just get a neutral to put a side together and throw the match up. This would avoid any waiting around and all managers would know this in advance.

What's everyone's thoughts on injuries? I think it works well in having more even drafting although in game I think it's been a bit annoying. Probably best for the more random drafts. I liked trailing it but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Anybody any other ideas on how to spruce up match threads?

I like the keepers breaking draws but it hasn't happened at all yet. I would keep this for future drafts

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This draft is possibly the worst ever when it comes to accidental rule breaking since it's not that players are ineligible per se but particular combinations of individually eligible players when played together are ineligible. This will be much less of a problem with No Mates style drafts in earlier eras as there isn't the big sides merry-go-round e.g Milan - I discovered that Massimo Maccarone was there for a time.

With submission of teams I think we could impose a one week rule following the draw. If there's a no show after a week we just get a neutral to put a side together and throw the match up. This would avoid any waiting around and all managers would know this in advance.

What's everyone's thoughts on injuries? I think it works well in having more even drafting although in game I think it's been a bit annoying. Probably best for the more random drafts. I liked trailing it but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Anybody any other ideas on how to spruce up match threads?

I like the keepers breaking draws but it hasn't happened at all yet. I would keep this for future drafts
Match injuries I was not a fan of. It had a lot of impact on matches. The 30 and 60 minute marks were tedious although that might just be the time of the year we did this. But I like the missing the next match aspect.

I'd suggest in future injuries don't happen until say 75 minutes into the match. This way the initial game is not affected too much by injuries but it adds the extra strategic element of missing a player for the next match and having to draft around that.

Also if we are trying to be realistic then like the Red Cards last match, maybe take the injury-proneness of a player into account. Someone like a Gundogan should be much more likely to get injured than Cristiano for instance.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We need to sort out better scrutinization of line-ups pre-game to warn against any rule-breaking, and more discipline relating to handing in of lineups and ensuring drafts don't overrun with delay between rounds.
You get it wrong, you lose the match. Simple as. Manager should have the responsibility to field a valid team, simple as.

Mistakes on both sides as the current match is rare imo. Can't do much to prevent that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You get it wrong, you lose the match. Simple as. Manager should have the responsibility to field a valid team, simple as.

Mistakes on both sides as the current match is rare imo. Can't do much to prevent that.
Whilst I agree that the manager should lose the match, hence why we quit ours we didn't think it would be a regular occurrence in other matches and it ruined the draft as a whole.

Instead of being super strict I'd rather just see some proper matches and a flowing draft. If people pick up on mistakes prior to posting of the op they can quickly change it and we get a proper game on.

Mistakes during the drafting process don't affect the flow of a draft and we can be harsh on that but by time it comes to matchups we should just try and make sure people get legitimate teams out.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Match injuries I was not a fan of. It had a lot of impact on matches. The 30 and 60 minute marks were tedious although that might just be the time of the year we did this. But I like the missing the next match aspect.

I'd suggest in future injuries don't happen until say 75 minutes into the match. This way the initial game is not affected too much by injuries but it adds the extra strategic element of missing a player for the next match and having to draft around that.

Also if we are trying to be realistic then like the Red Cards last match, maybe take the injury-proneness of a player into account. Someone like a Gundogan should be much more likely to get injured than Cristiano for instance.
The idea behind 30 and 60 mins was to make it easier for the draftmaster as a change a 12 hours is a pain requiring staying up till between 0030-0130 on most occasions. Also 30 and 60 were there to make changes throughout the draft to keep it interesting and create different talking points. I don't think injuries at 75mins would make that much difference as even if you're following the whole match the last 15 mins won't make that much difference, neither I think would those at 60mins. If anything the best thing to do would just to have post-match injuries to avoid anyone being over-reliant on one player. Then again the impact could be very disparate.

It would be nice to take injury records into account but I can't think of an easy way of incorporating it. If there was a database with the number of matches missed due to injuries and the number of games played you could use a coefficient but I don't know of any such database. It would almost be impossible for older player drafts.

Instead of being super strict I'd rather just see some proper matches and a flowing draft. If people pick up on mistakes prior to posting of the op they can quickly change it and we get a proper game on.

Mistakes during the drafting process don't affect the flow of a draft and we can be harsh on that but by time it comes to matchups we should just try and make sure people get legitimate teams out.
Agreed. After putting a lot of effort in it's a bit crushing to go out on a technicality. I've been a bit as hoc in modding this but tried my best to keep it fair and flowing.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Not sure if i can say anything on the topic as im one of the managers that fecked up but will share my thoughts anyways, btw sorry @Physiocrat :(

Think the biggest problem is creating a schedule after the initial draft, it takes ages and people even forget about the draft because of how much time passes by between the games. This is where we need to be more strict, there is plenty of managers around so if you know you are going to be busy dont enter that particular draft or just pair up with someone and give him permission to act alone if you are not available. We should make some kind of a deadline and if everyone sticks to that there will be a new draft soon in which you can participate again. Of course there are things in life that you can control so you cant always know when will you have time or not but if we disregard some personal tragedies nobody can tell me you cant log in twice a day to post a comment or two in the match thread. Thats the very reason why games last for such a very long period...

Same goes for sending tactics to the draft master, finally when the game is arranged you then have to wait until both teams send their staff, just put a time limit(lets say 14:00) and who doesnt send in time will be punished with reducing votes or with no reinforcement round if he wins.

As for mistakes that happened in the last SF game, im on the fence between Edgar's opinion and raees/physio. Think its up to managers to post valid teams and there should not be any excuses. But on the other hand, its only a game and mistakes happen so a little bit of lenience wouldnt hurt. Saying that, in todays game both sides lost desire to play after initial mistakes so maybe punishment is really the best way.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
On that note, @harms can you please take me off the list. I just won't have the time to research for this one and this is my weakest geographic region by far.

You can add me to the AM list or if @mazhar13 wanted to play instead I'd volunteer to be his Scout as I do want to learn more about some of these I never watched.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Not sure if i can say anything on the topic as im one of the managers that fecked up but will share my thoughts anyways, btw sorry @Physiocrat :(

Think the biggest problem is creating a schedule after the initial draft, it takes ages and people even forget about the draft because of how much time passes by between the games. This is where we need to be more strict, there is plenty of managers around so if you know you are going to be busy dont enter that particular draft or just pair up with someone and give him permission to act alone if you are not available. We should make some kind of a deadline and if everyone sticks to that there will be a new draft soon in which you can participate again. Of course there are things in life that you can control so you cant always know when will you have time or not but if we disregard some personal tragedies nobody can tell me you cant log in twice a day to post a comment or two in the match thread. Thats the very reason why games last for such a very long period...

Same goes for sending tactics to the draft master, finally when the game is arranged you then have to wait until both teams send their staff, just put a time limit(lets say 14:00) and who doesnt send in time will be punished with reducing votes or with no reinforcement round if he wins.
I agree with the above. All games per round should take place within a week of the draw

harms

Staff
On that note, @harms can you please take me off the list. I just won't have the time to research for this one and this is my weakest geographic region by far.

You can add me to the AM list or if @mazhar13 wanted to play instead I'd volunteer to be his Scout as I do want to learn more about some of these I never watched.
Sure.

No AM lists, I'm afraid, I'll specify that in the rules - only scouts if people need them, so that we won't stuck with a one co-manager not wanting to make a decision without the other as we usually do

I'll tag everyone when the thread will be up anyway, so that they can confirm of deny their involvement

Moby

Dick
For the EE draft the main theme is tough enough, don't think there should be any more restrictions or injuries etc. A straight forward draft would be the best way of doing that.

harms

Staff
@Šjor Bepo good points, will add the week for the game schedule and no-tolerance policy for no-shows in the rulebook.

harms

Staff
For the EE draft the main theme is tough enough, don't think there should be any more restrictions or injuries etc. A straight forward draft would be the best way of doing that.
Yep, already removed everything else from it, straightforward snake draft with open pool reinforcements

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Sure.

No AM lists, I'm afraid, I'll specify that in the rules - only scouts if people need them, so that we won't stuck with a one co-manager not wanting to make a decision without the other as we usually do

I'll tag everyone when the thread will be up anyway, so that they can confirm of deny their involvement
Ah okay. I really want to play so maybe I will semi-retract. Since I already offered to Mazhar I'll give up spot to him or maybe if @antohan wants to play, otherwise I will still play as maybe I can make some time out of sleep and work ;)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Ah okay. I really want to play so maybe I will semi-retract. Since I already offered to Mazhar I'll give up spot to him or maybe if @antohan wants to play, otherwise I will still play as maybe I can make some time out of sleep and work ;)
Your journey to being a draft junkie is finally complete :lol:.

Really looking forward to this draft btw, remember coming across a few great and 'under the radar' EE players during the Euros drafts, who should get a good run out this time around.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Your journey to being a draft junkie is finally complete :lol:.

Really looking forward to this draft btw, remember coming across a few great and 'under the radar' EE players during the Euros drafts, who should get a good run out this time around.

Its true, I've even dreamed about drafting at this point. I'll go through withdrawals at this point :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
On one hand, I really want to play in the EE Draft as I really wanted to bring exposure to certain EE players. On the other hand, it seems like you still want to play, so I don't just want to take your spot if you are still interested.

If you are okay with it, I can take your spot. If not, I'll let it go to you, and I can scout players for you. :)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aside from the repeated teamsheet feck-ups, I think the problem here is that it was spun out over the Christmas break. The draft ran at a healthy pace before then with some excellent turnouts from the voters. Perhaps we just need to avoid anything that is going to stretch over Christmas and New Year, which basically means we can't start a draft any later than 10-15 November or so. It's always the same whenever there is an extended break between rounds - it kills the momentum.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Aside from the repeated teamsheet feck-ups, I think the problem here is that it was spun out over the Christmas break. The draft ran at a healthy pace before then with some excellent turnouts from the voters. Perhaps we just need to avoid anything that is going to stretch over Christmas and New Year, which basically means we can't start a draft any later than 10-15 November or so. It's always the same whenever there is an extended break between rounds - it kills the momentum.
Yep, Christmas is Draft Kryptonite

Moby

Dick
Well yeah, festive period, loads of football on the telly, people back home with their families, getting pissed daily.. drafts not gonna end up high on that list.