Next Man Utd Manager Expected To Be Jose Mourinho Or David Moyes

Moriarty

I fancy Mourinho to leave Real Madrid in the summer, replace Capello as the England manager and take England to the 2014 World Cup (while entertaining the English media for two years and then probably topping it off with a gold medal...), before replacing Sir Alex as the manager of Manchester United.
Have you got any of that stuff you're smoking, spare? I could do with cheering up today.

Jase

Have you got any of that stuff you're smoking, spare? I could do with cheering up today.
Sorry no. But jokes aside, it doesn't seem unlikely that Mourinho will leave Madrid after this season. I do believe he is more than willing to manage United, meaning he will have to take another job in the meantime as Fergie is still in charge. Becoming the manager of England, or Portugal perhaps, for a couple of years would fit. From his perspective anyway. What United and Fergie want is another matter.

acrebo

He would never become manager of Portugal for a couple years mid-career. His national team will be his final job in my opinion.

Amir

We can't expect Mourinho to center his whole career from now on, on a job he may get, one day, maybe, no idea when. He can only take the best job he's offered. If it means it'll end up blocking any future route to United, so be it. But realistically it's only the City and Liverpool job that will do that.

If he was promised the United job a year from now, he could take a year off. He didn't take any job after leaving Chelsea in September, very early in the season. But I tend to believe Fergie just isn't interested in retirement, so you can't guarentee anything like that.

Ash_G

I keep swinging about Mourinhio. He's obviously very good and at a good age but recently his character has gone down with some of his antics. On top of that how long will he stay, we've proven that stability is key. Although having said that he's done all the major leagues now and he obviously prefers English Football. I dunno it's either him or Moyes for me, who I think would be a great replacement. He hasn't got the experience at the top though but I think with our resources he'd be very good.

The other thing though is after Fergie do we want a manager like him or something different. Moyes is quite similar and whilst that could be a good thing at the same time he might always be looked at as trying to emulate Fergie and have that pressure. Where as Mourinho has a completely different style which could be just what we need to move on. I dunno it's hard to say.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I know there's a lot of controversy that comes with someone like Mourinho being in charge, but when you consider the manager he is, I'm willing to take the risk of having him in charge here for his managerial ability, which is undoubtedly brilliant. It's easy to think of the problems that could come, but if success comes as well, then I'll take him in a heartbeat to be honest.

Whether he'll be available or not is another thing. I do think that he wants this job, but I don't think he wants it so much that he'd spend years out of a job waiting for it. If it's available, I think he'd take it, but if not, I think he'd go elsewhere instead. Only time will tell on that one, though.

Dave89

His ego mainly. And I want a long term prospect if possible, not someone who just wants United on his CV.

Can see Fergie taking someone under his wing and trying to mould them into the sort of manager he wants to leave us in the hands of (no value in the manager market...?)

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It would be hilarious that after all this talk of Ole, Pep, Mourinho, Moyes etc and in the end Phelan is unveiled as our manager. How well do you guys think he would do since he knows how United works but hasnt really got the skills comparable to Fergie.

redpie

Do not see how under the Glazer ownership United could afford Mourinho and the massive transfer budget he would demand for his latest "project".

Minkaro

It would be hilarious that after all this talk of Ole, Pep, Mourinho, Moyes etc and in the end Phelan is unveiled as our manager. How well do you guys think he would do since he knows how United works but hasnt really got the skills comparable to Fergie.
Worked alright for Terry Connor.

Wait...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Don't want Mourinho. At all.
I have always been of the opinion that the job of managing Manchester United after Ferguson is about much more than tactics and transfers. There is going to be a weight of pressure and expectation that just won't be replicable anywhere else in football. The new manager is not only going to have to make his mark from under the longest shadow in the game but when he inevitably goes through a difficult period, he's going to have to handle the comparisons and criticisms. Say what you want about Mourinho, but I think he has the only ego big enough to not only handle all that pressure but to also be his own man.

You can pick apart his record and say that he's only managed the richest club in every league he has managed in, but the counter argument to that is that he's always succeeded. ANd as we know, it takes more than money to succeed. If he wins La Liga this year, and/or the Champsions League, it will make his record all the more impressive, regardless of the amount of money Perez has spent on assembling the squad.

The only concern I have over JM, is what I would consider a loss of dignity in recent times. He has been in far too many unseemingly exchanges with other coaches and the media and this is something I would not want to see replicated at United. I thought he handled himself brilliantly while at Chelsea but at Madrid that eye gouging and snide comments have gone too far.

They say that SAF will be integral in the selection of the next manager. No-one is going to be more accutely concerned with the institutional dignity of the club than him; so if he is satisfied Mourinho is the right man for the job, then I think we should be too.

How this will eventually play out, is a mystery but he seems to be the obvious choice from almost any angle.

Amir

And I want a long term prospect if possible, not someone who just wants United on his CV.
I think after Real he'll be past his European tour. He's worked at Italy and he's not coming back. There's no other job for him in Spain. He loves english football, I think he'd like to settle here, and who knows how long he would have stayed at Chelsea had it not been for Abramovich.

In terms of a long term manager, I think he's as good as bet as any. Better, actually, as he's more likely to have the balls to take the role and succeed.

redpie

I see a scenario where we go short term for a couple of years with some seasoned European steady-eddy in the mould of Van Gaal or Hiddink and then try to pass the Fergie baton on fingers crossed to somebody more long term like Ole.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I know that Mourinho does have a massive ego, but in the end, that could be something that helps him as opposed to hindering him.

Like others have said, it's not going to be easy replacing Fergie. It's going to be the biggest and most pressurised job in world football, as everything the new man does will be compared to his predecessor. If he changes the style, it'll be compared to what Fergie does now. If he makes changes to the team, then his new team will be compared to all of Fergie's previous one.

For a manager, that's not going to be easy to cope with. They'll feel that they can't handle the idea of being in a situation where you know you're probably not as good as the manager before you. Mourinho, on the other hand, is different. He's probably the only manager out there who wouldn't fear taking on this job, and would simply take it in his stride. Why? Because of his massive ego.

NoLogo

I see a scenario where we go short term for a couple of years with some seasoned European steady-eddy in the mould of Van Gaal or Hiddink and then try to pass the Fergie baton on fingers crossed to somebody more long term like Ole.
Not Van Gaal please. Can't stand him, not one bit.

I also think the football he prefers is quite boring to watch when it's anything like what Bayern played when he was with them.

99 red balloons

I don't want Mourinho. Ever. Never ever ever.

United stands for longevity, style, promoting youth, winning & losing with grace, attractive attacking football, class, not buying the "in fashion" and most expensive players available and giving local lads a chance.

Tell me, which of those fits in with Mourinho's record?

Traub

I'm pretty certain he's going to success Fergie
So am I and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. At a club like United he is likely to be given a lot more control than he has had at Chelsea, Inter and Madrid. I think if he is given enough control over a club he will be able to mould the club into his vision which could result in him being a long-term manager at a club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

United stands for longevity, style, promoting youth, winning & losing with grace, attractive attacking football, class, not buying the "in fashion" and most expensive players available and giving local lads a chance.

There's no guarantee that any of the things you mention would continue irrespective of who replaces Fergie.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Admittedly, he's never really been one for longevity, but he's never really had that chance in his managerial career. He could only go so far at Porto, he was gotten rid of by Chelsea, the media effectively forced him out at Inter, and no manager can survive for a long time at Real Madrid.

You're acting as if Mourinho deploys boring, defensive football, which is one of the biggest myths in world football. Look at his Real Madrid side, how many goals they've scored, and tell me honestly that they're boring. The fact is they're not. He'll sometimes be more cautious in the big games, but he generally wins them, except against Barca.

I could see him giving some of the youngsters a chance. Again, looking at where he's been, he's not had much of a chance to do that, in all honesty. He's generally been at clubs where there hasn't been too much youth, and it's been easier to just go out and spend. With our financial constraints, he won't really be able to do that anymore.

Nucks

RT History Department
I know there's a lot of controversy that comes with someone like Mourinho being in charge, but when you consider the manager he is, I'm willing to take the risk of having him in charge here for his managerial ability, which is undoubtedly brilliant. It's easy to think of the problems that could come, but if success comes as well, then I'll take him in a heartbeat to be honest.

Whether he'll be available or not is another thing. I do think that he wants this job, but I don't think he wants it so much that he'd spend years out of a job waiting for it. If it's available, I think he'd take it, but if not, I think he'd go elsewhere instead. Only time will tell on that one, though.
One thing Mourinho takes a lot of flak for, is craving media attention.

What I don't think many people really get is that, ego or not, it is absolutely by design. He tends to soak up a lot of the scrutiny for his team which allows his stars to focus a little more on football.

If Mourinho was at United and Rooney was having one of his mini-slumps, you can bet your ass he would do something outrageous so that the media zeros in on him and not Rooney (as much).

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I really like David Moyes. Just watching him on goals on Sunday along with Bill Kenwright.

I have always said we could do far worse than Moyes. I certainly would not object to his appointment.

One thing Mourinho takes a lot of flak for, is craving media attention.

What I don't think many people really get is that, ego or not, it is absolutely by design. He tends to soak up a lot of the scrutiny for his team which allows his stars to focus a little more on football.

If Mourinho was at United and Rooney was having one of his mini-slumps, you can bet your ass he would do something outrageous so that the media zeros in on him and not Rooney (as much).
Similar to SAF in that respect, he'll often create a huge talking point to distract away from a poor performance

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I really like David Moyes. Just watching him on goals on Sunday along with Bill Kenwright.

I have always said we could do far worse than Moyes. I certainly would not object to his appointment.
Agree, his man management skills are evident in the way he constantly gets the best out of average players, this could be a real advantage when comes to managing the multiple egos at a club like utd.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The whole thing is a moot point because Fergie is still at the club. it could be 2 years until he steps down and that's a very long time in football.

99 red balloons

Admittedly, he's never really been one for longevity, but he's never really had that chance in his managerial career. He could only go so far at Porto, he was gotten rid of by Chelsea, the media effectively forced him out at Inter, and no manager can survive for a long time at Real Madrid.

You're acting as if Mourinho deploys boring, defensive football, which is one of the biggest myths in world football. Look at his Real Madrid side, how many goals they've scored, and tell me honestly that they're boring. The fact is they're not. He'll sometimes be more cautious in the big games, but he generally wins them, except against Barca.

I could see him giving some of the youngsters a chance. Again, looking at where he's been, he's not had much of a chance to do that, in all honesty. He's generally been at clubs where there hasn't been too much youth, and it's been easier to just go out and spend. With our financial constraints, he won't really be able to do that anymore.
I see your points, except on the "he's never really had a chance at longevity" bit. It's ALWAYS been of his doing when he's left...

Bar Porto, he's had to leave everywhere else he's been (Madrid included) because he's rubbed so many people up the wrong and has basically been a right c*nt with some of his actions and the shite he comes out with.

Everybody, United fans and the media quickly forget some of the bile he came out with during his final few months at Chelsea; some of it was downright disgraceful and I don't want him at our club.

He's a classless winner, a spiteful loser and we can do better.

Pep or Moyes for me all day long.

Devilton

If it's Moyes we will go into a Liverpool like decline when they signed Souness...

it will literally be decades before we win another title.

Moyes is not a title winning manager.

It has to be someone of the caliber of Mourinho or Pep...

Neo_Mufc

Ultimately he is still an employee and not the pay-master.
Would be quite unusual if Ferguson didn't have a say in who takes over his role.

IMO he will decide who comes in, or he will atleast sway the decision makers towards a particular man.

99 red balloons

Would be quite unusual if Ferguson didn't have a say in who takes over his role.

IMO he will decide who comes in, or he will atleast sway the decision makers towards a particular man.
I wouldn't say he'll have the final say, or even a massive say for that matter - but I wouldn't be surprised if his voice represented a couple of vetoes. Mourinho being one of them. Just because they get on personally, doesn't mean he'll think he's the right man for this job.

(And if Ferguson was against someone, then it would be highly unlikely they'd get the job in my opinion).

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'll be the first to praise Moyes as he is a very good manager who's worked well at Everton with very limited resources but there is something flawed about him I've noticed at Everton that would really let him down at a top club. It's his team selections.

From time to time, there have been games where his selections have been bizarre and have ended up causing a poor result for his side. He could do well here, but I wouldn't exactly feel confident pre-match in a big game. Could you imagine him making a massive mistake selection wise in a Champions League final? He'd never live it down.

phelans shorts

I'll be the first to praise Moyes as he is a very good manager who's worked well at Everton with very limited resources but there is something flawed about him I've noticed at Everton that would really let him down at a top club. It's his team selections.

From time to time, there have been games where his selections have been bizarre and have ended up causing a poor result for his side. He could do well here, but I wouldn't exactly feel confident pre-match in a big game. Could you imagine him making a massive mistake selection wise in a Champions League final? He'd never live it down.
Like playing a 36 year old Giggs in the middle of a HUGE media storm in a midfield 2 against Barca?

Come on, I don't want Moyes but to suggest Fergie's selections in big games are infallible is ridiculous.