Next Newcastle manager

TheLiverBird

Bournemouth were financially backed since 2011. They're not some plucky side that did it the hard way. Eddie spent £70m on Lermer, Solanke and Jordan Ibe.
Terrible achievement then

I know your trying to add context, valid context too, but it’s him that got it “right” to get Bournemouth from the depths of the English pyramid too the top. You’ve got too applaud that managerial achievement no?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

I know your trying to add context, valid context too, but it’s him that got it “right” to get Bournemouth from the depths of the English pyramid too the top. You’ve got too applaud that managerial achievement no?
They may need his skills of getting a team back to the Prem.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It’s an achievement sure. I do like Eddie mainly as he grew up locally to me but I find his demeanour uninspiring. I’m not sure he can handle a ‘big’ club or a club that is trying to be a big club.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Their defence is a big issue and i don’t think this is the right man to fix that.

They will need a big January now to have the quality at the back to see them through.

They will also have to hope that a team like Watford don’t put a run together. I think they are going down now.

Jibbs

Good appointment... goes to show the decision makers are not trying fancy stuff and like Man City want to build the club on strong foundations.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good appointment... goes to show the decision makers are not trying fancy stuff and like Man City want to build the club on strong foundations.
I think Howe is signing up to be their stepping stone manager between the Ashley era of hell and what they hope is their bright new future. Surely if they look like they're motoring towards the very top in a few years they thank Eddie for his work and move on to whichever elite-level manager they can attract?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Definitely.
First job is to stay in the Premier League and not get relegated, Eddie Howe should be able to achieve a steady season for them.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I think Howe is signing up to be their stepping stone manager between the Ashley era of hell and what they hope is their bright new future. Surely if they look like they're motoring towards the very top in a few years they thank Eddie for his work and move on to whichever elite-level manager they can attract?
Most of us reckon the plan is something along those lines. 2.5 years, get us on solid footing and then move on.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Most of us reckon the plan is something along those lines. 2.5 years, get us on solid footing and then move on.
Yeah I'd have thought so. Fair play to Eddie for taking it on but I'd be surprised if he thinks he'll be with you long-term, regardless of his performance.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He never struck me as someone who can keep a struggling club up. Rather he's more the second man to build a club up to top 10 or even EL spots after someone lays down a solid foundation.

I have him as the English Roberto Martinez.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Do you guys not think that, had the takeover not taken place, but they still had sacked Bruce, that Howe is the sort of manager they would have been going for anyway and most probably would have got?

Not sure why any Newcastle supported would be getting excited about this appointment, under the current regime.

Foxbatt

It probably is a short term and he probably knows it too. Unless he gets very good results. I am sure they will back him in January to save off relegation but not sure if he can pull it off without a lot of investment. He certainly will play a much better football than Bruce.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do you guys not think that, had the takeover not taken place, but they still had sacked Bruce, that Howe is the sort of manager they would have been going for anyway and most probably would have got?

Not sure why any Newcastle supported would be getting excited about this appointment, under the current regime.
That's why I like you Colin. You always see the clouds on a sunny day.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

At the end of the day, in Newcastles current state, it’s probably the best they could have hoped for. You would definitely not be getting an elite manager to a relegation candidate just because you are bankrolled. Same with playing staff, they won’t get an elite player just because your offering silly sums.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
No idea why this is met with such positivity. This is a guy who has been. Utterly dreadful in the transfer market and relegated Bournemouth. Record breaking money spent on Jordan Ibe and Lerma etc.

He may prove me wrong but I am even more confident now that Newcastle will be relegated and it will be hilarious.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
No idea why this is met with such positivity. This is a guy who has been. Utterly dreadful in the transfer market and relegated Bournemouth. Record breaking money spent on Jordan Ibe and Lerma etc.

He may prove me wrong but I am even more confident now that Newcastle will be relegated and it will be hilarious.
I doubt they new owners are going to let him hand pick the incoming players. He might have input.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
It’s an achievement sure. I do like Eddie mainly as he grew up locally to me but I find his demeanour uninspiring. I’m not sure he can handle a ‘big’ club or a club that is trying to be a big club.
You must get your feet wet somewhere and some people should be given the chance. There are other managers out there probably as talented or even better than Howe but they aren't in a situation to be given the chance.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Took Bournemouth from league 2 to the premier league and kept them there for 5(?) years. It’s no small feat, and I’m actually surprised he’s been out of work for this long.

Pep's Suit

Terrible choice. Wouldn't surprise me to see him sacked in mid/late-February.

dinostar77

They must be paying eddie "I cant be too far away from Bournemouth beach and waiting for Southampton job" howe alot of money to take that role.

They need a stepping stone manager for a few years. Unlike with City and Chelsea they both had fairly good teams before their billionaire owners came in. Newcastle squad needs ALOT of work. That will take time.

Irrational.

Expect Newcastle to pay out of their arse and fund Liverpool’s next spending spree by forking out top dollar above asking price for trash like Origi, Tsimikas, Minamino and Curtis Jones.

tomaldinho1

Expect Newcastle to pay out of their arse and fund Liverpool’s next spending spree by forking out top dollar above asking price for trash like Origi, Tsimikas, Minamino and Curtis Jones.
More likely they come for our fringe players in my opinion: Martial, Lingard, Telles etc.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wilson scored plenty for him at Bournemouth. Apparently he's also settled his differences with Ryan Fraser who had periods of good form under him. They need to get Saint Maximn firing again, strangely gone off the boil since the takeover.

They have some quality in attack and that's where Howe generally prospers when you look at Bournemouth's five seasons in the prem.

His trouble is his defensive structure was never convincing despite spending many millions on CBs and full backs and Newcastle ones are generally very average quality to put it mildly, same for central midfield now Willock has forgot how to score goals.

I rate him for his methods but really don't think he's the sort at all to come into club mid season and have quick impact, more a coach who needs a pre season.

Whoever said above he's a bit of an English Roberto Martinez in strengths and weaknesses has nailed it I think.

tomaldinho1

Wilson scored plenty for him at Bournemouth. Apparently he's also settled his differences with Ryan Fraser who had periods of good form under him. They need to get Saint Maximn firing again, strangely gone off the boil since the takeover.

They have some quality in attack and that's where Howe generally prospers when you look at Bournemouth's five seasons in the prem.

His trouble is his defensive structure was never convincing despite spending many millions on CBs and full backs and Newcastle ones are generally very average quality to put it mildly, same for central midfield now Willock has forgot how to score goals.

I rate him for his methods but really don't think he's the sort at all to come into club mid season and have quick impact, more a coach who needs a pre season.

Whoever said above he's a bit of an English Roberto Martinez in strengths and weaknesses has nailed it I think.
Wilson was unbelievable at Newcastle under Bruce. Basically a 1 goal in 2 games striker, for that system and how they played he’s been great. I think he’s comfortably better than Martinez, will be intriguing to see them develop and if he lasts the season!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Noted that he's been appointed "head coach".

Suggests they'll bring in a DoF to manage the transfer strategy. Good move for them if so.

Pep's Suit

They'll go for PL experience now, I guess. At least one of Barkley / Loftus-Cheek, maybe Ake, Ox, Lacazette, Winks etc. Should be good for a sellers market if the Big 6 is ready to move players in January.

Pep's Suit

Games against Norwich and Burnley next week. Surely can't afford to lose these two.