Next Newcastle manager

Thunderhead

Supports
City
they're going down, you'd have thought as soon as they new the deal was going through they would have already sounded out a DoF and at worst a manager to come straight in, they're a bunch of amateurs running that club and it doesn't matter how much money they throw at it in January I think they're fecked this season, they're already 6 points adrift of safety and have a tough 10 games coming up with the only teams I can see them possibly getting points off are Brentford, Norwich and Burnley at home and that's a stretch

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
they're going down, you'd have thought as soon as they new the deal was going through they would have already sounded out a DoF and at worst a manager to come straight in, they're a bunch of amateurs running that club and it doesn't matter how much money they throw at it in January I think they're fecked this season, they're already 6 points adrift of safety and have a tough 10 games coming up with the only teams I can see them possibly getting points off are Brentford, Norwich and Burnley at home and that's a stretch
Nah, they'll sort it out. They're far from the only poor team in the league, they're not going to fall THAT far behind before January.

ti vu

Bold move sacking manager, and taking time to search for the right manager.

Classical Mechanic

Depends what they can do in January. If Howe can keep them up it'll be interesting to see what he can do if they can deliver a strong caliber of player for him.

Andrew7582

Bournemouth were pretty awful defensively under Howe, i'm not sure that this is the guy you bring in to steady the ship, will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think they’re down already. Be surprised if the get more than 8-10 points before January with their fixtures.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Are they seriously going to appoint Eddie Howe?

DutchRed7

Very happy for Howe. Always wanted to see him at a big club(I guess we can call Newcastle that now? Kinda).

SirScholes

Very happy for Howe. Always wanted to see him at a big club(I guess we can call Newcastle that now? Kinda).
Not at all

feel sorry for him because he’ll probably do a good job then get shafted for something new and shiny

C'est Moi Cantona

Good they went English, but it's surprising, and not quite the sexy new manager Newcastle fans thought they'd be getting I bet.

He'll be good in the championship though, which is maybe where the owners see the club short term, in which case it's very shrewd.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm so confused. Is he an appointment to get them back into the Prem next season?

Man deserves a job, just very surprised its at the new financial doping club

MalaysianRed7

Well deserved for Eddie Howe. I don’t think he gets anywhere near enough credit for his achievements with Bournemouth, a club he even saved from liquidation. It’s always “yeah he took them up from League 2, but…”. There is no but, he played a FIFA career mode road to glory in real life. It would have been an amazing achievement had they gone down straightaway, but they followed those promotions by staying up for 4 years.

He’s probably the most progressive English manager next to Potter as well, in terms of his style of play. It’s not normal for a team to come up and take it to teams every game with Dan Gosling and Andrew Surman in the middle. He did it while beating every big 6 team aside from City in his 4 years in the PL as well. Without him, Bournemouth would never have even played these teams, if they remained a club in the first place. Aside from the Bournemouth link with Fraser and Wilson, imagine ASM under him.

His job at Bournemouth was the ultimate project as well. Now, it’s another one, but from a much higher starting point and an unlimited budget. He’s got a much bigger scouting department as well, to counter his weakness in the market. Perfect job for him, imo the best English manager next to Potter. One of them have to manage England in the future. This crop needs an actual forward thinking coach.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He will struggle as he was dreadful defensively. Not the sort of manager to keep Newcastle up.

tomaldinho1

He will struggle as he was dreadful defensively. Not the sort of manager to keep Newcastle up.
That’s what the geordies love, the we’ll score one more than you approach. They’ll be fine, Howe is a good coach. Not sure if he’s elite level but definitely good enough that he’ll keep them up - he knows Wilson well already and then ASM and Almiron I really rate.

Next Newcastle v Leeds game will be a 7-7 draw

Dookingham United

This is an interesting point. I know the Saudis have been trying to get into the PL for a while, but I always think about Malaga and what happened to them, and always think it's a risk that the owners could get bored of one of these projects early on.
It's so important that Newcastle Football Club takes their lotto money and spends it really wisely.
If they put it into training facilities, stadium, top quality staff such medical staff and scouting staff etc. Then they will have a solid foundation to build for the future. Better quality players will be found at a cheaper price/younger age and better quality management will also come.
But if they run before they walk and get a load of overpriced (every player linked with them now has a premium attached) mediocre players, as has happened so many places before, then they could well get bored and move on.

But who's going to tell them how to spend their money?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Well deserved for Eddie Howe. I don’t think he gets anywhere near enough credit for his achievements with Bournemouth, a club he even saved from liquidation. It’s always “yeah he took them up from League 2, but…”. There is no but, he played a FIFA career mode road to glory in real life. It would have been an amazing achievement had they gone down straightaway, but they followed those promotions by staying up for 4 years.

He’s probably the most progressive English manager next to Potter as well, in terms of his style of play. It’s not normal for a team to come up and take it to teams every game with Dan Gosling and Andrew Surman in the middle. He did it while beating every big 6 team aside from City in his 4 years in the PL as well. Without him, Bournemouth would never have even played these teams, if they remained a club in the first place. Aside from the Bournemouth link with Fraser and Wilson, imagine ASM under him.

His job at Bournemouth was the ultimate project as well. Now, it’s another one, but from a much higher starting point and an unlimited budget. He’s got a much bigger scouting department as well, to counter his weakness in the market. Perfect job for him, imo the best English manager next to Potter. One of them have to manage England in the future. This crop needs an actual forward thinking coach.
Lets get some things straight, Bournemouth was a great achievement but they were also financially backed. He spent millions on garbage once he got into the premier league and let’s not forget him getting Home sick in Burnley and crying to go back to the South.

This is a match made in failure. Unless they truly are planning for life in the Championship. It also shows that there was little to no interest in this job, as is. I don’t see that changing anytime soon either.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Let he whose club hasn't spent millions on garbage cast the first stone. It's one of the weaker sticks to try and beat a manager with tbh.

But yeah. It's not the most inspired choice. We're also not in a position to really poach CL/elite managers at this point in time either, given the task ahead. I do think he'll be fine though, especially with (expected) heavy January backing. As others said, next summer he's likely off, or at most 2023 once the ship has been well and truly steadied, with a handsome payout to boot so I'm sure he won't mind.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a much better manager than many give him credit for, it’s just whether or not he’ll settle in the north. Unless they buy well in January they’ll be in the Championship anyway, they weren’t going to get a top manager in their state.

Jaxa

I’ve never seen the hype with Howe, seems a good championship manager at best,

You’d hope maybe they will have a new manager bounce but I still think they’ll be scrapping with relegation come the end of the season and might be able to just keep there heads above water, maybe

I think it will be Norwich, Watford and then 1 other out of Newcastle, Burnley, Palace

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Far too north for him I thought. I find him uninspiring and his transfer record is shocking but if he takes our cast offs then all is good

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Many people who don't rate Howe are just annoyed he had the audacity to set up his Bournemouth sides in any other manner than park the bus and pray.

Good talented manager. Hoping he does well.

TheLiverBird

Good they went English, but it's surprising, and not quite the sexy new manager Newcastle fans thought they'd be getting I bet.

He'll be good in the championship though, which is maybe where the owners see the club short term, in which case it's very shrewd.
Any sexy new manager (name wise) won’t want to be the first manager to start this project, it’s too risky, there’s a real chance of relegation

Eddie Howe isn’t a sexy name but is certainly a good name to start the show off.

He isn’t the best defence minded manager and certainly leaked goals at Bournemouth, a major issue Newcastle currently have, but Howe could provide efficiency in attack, and There certainly an attack element to Newcastle he could work with to make them good enough to edge out of relegation, possibly

He’s a good appointment imo

TheLiverBird

Far too north for him I thought. I find him uninspiring and his transfer record is shocking but if he takes our cast offs then all is good
He took a League 2 side to a good strong sustained period in the Premier League, becoming a tough side for Premier League teams to face, that’s quite inspiring

And transfer records can be a difficult juggle on a limited budget, he’ll have a drooling budget at Newcastle, doesn’t mean having money guarantees good signings, of course it doesn’t, but it narrows the aim down and improves the accuracy

MalaysianRed7

Lets get some things straight, Bournemouth was a great achievement but they were also financially backed. He spent millions on garbage once he got into the premier league and let’s not forget him getting Home sick in Burnley and crying to go back to the South.

This is a match made in failure. Unless they truly are planning for life in the Championship. It also shows that there was little to no interest in this job, as is. I don’t see that changing anytime soon either.
You can never be sure, because Howe was clearly 2nd choice only to Emery. Unai making a u-turn doesn’t mean all reputable managers didn’t want the job, they just thought Howe was the best opportunity cost to Unai, and fair enough. While Howe does have a shoddy transfer record, Newcastle have a much bigger scouting department than Bournemouth.

Howe’s a good manager, and that or his Burnley stint 10 years ago doesn’t change that. It’s like calling Gareth Bale a failed footballer because he didn’t win his first 25 games at Spurs or something.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He took a League 2 side to a good strong sustained period in the Premier League, becoming a tough side for Premier League teams to face, that’s quite inspiring

And transfer records can be a difficult juggle on a limited budget, he’ll have a drooling budget at Newcastle, doesn’t mean having money guarantees good signings, of course it doesn’t, but it narrows the aim down and improves the accuracy
Bournemouth were financially backed since 2011. They're not some plucky side that did it the hard way. Eddie spent £70m on Lermer, Solanke and Jordan Ibe.