Next Newcastle manager

Cloud7

Emery is an interesting option. I rate him higher than the other managers they’ve been linked with bar Ten Haag. With the resources they’ll have he can make them a solid team as they make their way up the table.

He probably won’t ever play the positive, dominant football they want, so once they’re consolidated around the top 6 in a couple years I can see them getting rid of him.

lsd

The Oracle
Looking forward to watching Messi, Pogba,Mbappe Eric Bailly Neymar, and co playing in the Championship next season

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I would have picked a more stable, less adventurous manager for the time being. Bit like when Man City brought in Mark Hughes. Not trying to set the world alight etc.

This seems risky, I don't remember his defensive record being great?

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I would have picked a more stable, less adventurous manager for the time being. Bit like when Man City brought in Mark Hughes. Not trying to set the world alight etc.

Draws a lot of games, doesn’t concede too many but also doesn’t score.

Mid-table this year, 6 draws from 11, 13 scored, 12 conceded.

Not sure they had too many options. Managers will be more available if they stay up in the summer, not sure many wanted to start in a relegation battle.

Would be great if they end up relegated though, I feel teams will be up for it against them.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Difference was Mark Hughes was already in place when the take over happened. He was just like Steve Bruce, but getting better results which gave him more time. He was always a dead man walking, he just was able to walk further.

tomaldinho1

Cue geordies turning up to Brighton in thobes and fangs.
Saudis were having trouble fining someone morally bankrupt enough to be the first face of their campaign, no surprises they've had to resort to hiring a vampire.

dinostar77

Emery is an interesting option. I rate him higher than the other managers they’ve been linked with bar Ten Haag. With the resources they’ll have he can make them a solid team as they make their way up the table.

He probably won’t ever play the positive, dominant football they want, so once they’re consolidated around the top 6 in a couple years I can see them getting rid of him.
Emery would be a great choice. Sensible. His Sevilla teams played some lovely football and won 3 europa league titles back to back.

Had a harsh time at Arsenal, I think he would be a great appointment for Newcastle and with some sensible investment could turn them into a very good team.

largelyworried

Emery would be a very good choice I reckon. Savvy enough to deal with the squad they have and move them to upper mid table, and just about a big enough name to attract a better calibre of player. Experienced enough to know he’ll probably be sacked within three seasons as their aspirations grow and not be phased by that.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
On the basis of the job he did at Wolves, getting promotion and establishing them as a top half of the table side I’d have though Nuno would be a good shout for the Geordies. He could do that kind of job for a few seasons and give them a platform to push on into the top 6 from.
Not sure Emery strikes me as the kind of manager for a relegation fight,

BorisManUtd

I'm not looking forward to us playing Emery 2 games a season tbh :lol: Ole got outclassed against him in May and again recently, we were just lucky not to lose. Anyways, he's a good manager and it's good for Premier League, another quality manager coming in. Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte, Rodgers, Moyes, Potter. Bruno Lage has started well at Wolves too and there are likes of Benitez (big name if not as good as in the past) and Hussenhuttl.

Pep's Suit

Arsenal's best manager since the 8-2 happened... Decent choice for next 2.5 years. When Pep and Klopp leave and Tuchel's sacked Top4 will become open again, I think.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Good appointment I think.

If it goes through, Newcastle since 2018 has arguably had 3 superior and more competent managers than the one in the United hotseat in that time period ;)

The White Pele

The Premier League really is becoming the Super League.

City, Chelsea and Liverpool are arguably the best 3 teams in the world at the moment and all have world class managers.

Then you have United with our world class squad.

Spurs with their swanky new stadium and Conte as manager.

Newcastle the richest club in the world with a fine manager in Emery.

Leicester now famous all over for their giant-killing title win.

Arsenal obviously still a massive club and seemingly on the up.

West Ham playing in an Olympic stadium and looking a very good team.

And beyond that you still have big clubs like Everton, Villa, Leeds etc wanting to join the party.

It’s becoming so competitive.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Emery with a decent January transfer budget could save this team from relegation. This year is really about survival for them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Very good choice: the guy won 4 Europa Leagues, impossible achieving this without having managerial talent. About his stint at PSG, have to remember that Tuchel also failed there, so nothing hould be taken from there. And as we can see, Arsenal is not looking better after geting rid of him, clearly not a manager problem at those clubs.

The Oracle

The Premier League really is becoming the Super League.

City, Chelsea and Liverpool are arguably the best 3 teams in the world at the moment and all have world class managers.

Then you have United with our world class squad.

Spurs with their swanky new stadium and Conte as manager.

Newcastle the richest club in the world with a fine manager in Emery.

Leicester now famous all over for their giant-killing title win.

Arsenal obviously still a massive club and seemingly on the up.

West Ham playing in an Olympic stadium and looking a very good team.

And beyond that you still have big clubs like Everton, Villa, Leeds etc wanting to join the party.

It’s becoming so competitive.
To be fair the Premier League has been looking like a Super League for a a few years now...

Another example is the striker Richarlison (who is a regular for the Brazil national team) plying his trade at Everton*

*a club that doesn't regularly challenge for trophies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Appointing Emery before our Champions League match against Villarreal would be doing us a huge favor

ti vu

should be Emery or Foneseca. They need a builder who can do well in the cups
Fonseca should be in contention then. If you leave out his Shakhtar years (a dominant force in Ukraine regardless), he's almost terrible at any jobs with any kind of pressure. PL, especially the relegation battling zone is no joke for a manager with no experience to English football.

Emery is just in different class in comparison. Fonseca benefits from being in Mendes' network with all the press connection, and PR machine.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What happens if they get relegated this year?
They'll get 100 points just like the two occasions they played there under Mike Ashley.

Will just stall their long term goals by 2-3 more years though.

Cloud7

Emery turned them down apparently - according to Balague
He probably recognizes what a volatile option it is, and a high chance that no matter how well he does that he’ll be tossed out in a couple years

MrBrightside1989

If they end up with Howe I think they could go down. They haven't got the players his style needs.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Good choice in my opinion. Emery is a manager who knows how to box clever with limited resources. A bit of a risk as not known for relegation fights in England but as he has a window and money to assist I can see him help them avoid relegation which is their only priority atm.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There's still a good chance of it happening but the Newcastle owners/board telling all their journos about it being practically a done deal right before Villarreal play an important Champions League game wasn't the best way to go about things. The release clause is no problem but Emery himself can easily change his mind and might have done so from what Balague has said.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Unless he's getting a massive contract, i don't get why he would want to be back in the PL. He struggled with a half decent squad at Arsenal and would only get hired to do the groundwork for the next manager.

padzilla

Hipster
Why don't they go for Ole Gunnar Southgate? He's great according to loads of our fans.

femto

There's still a good chance of it happening but the Newcastle owners/board telling all their journos about it being practically a done deal right before Villarreal play an important Champions League game wasn't the best way to go about things. The release clause is no problem but Emery himself can easily change his mind and might have done so from what Balague has said.
It does seem like the board/owners are lacking experience in the footballing industry and it might end up costing them here. I'm a bit surprised they didn't get a 'football person' as a part of the consortium prior to the takeover.

For what it's worth, I think Emery will still join but he needs to save some face in Spain, probably because he's wise enough to know he'll be sacked within four years and be back in Spain looking for a job.

RUCK4444

Why don't they go for Ole Gunnar Southgate? He's great according to loads of our fans.
The name Southgate sends shivers down my spine when even remotely linked to United and not in a good way.

I swear if that tactless dweeb ever takes over at United I will stop watching football indefinitely. It would be the final straw to end all final straws.

padzilla

Hipster
The name Southgate sends shivers down my spine when even remotely linked to United and not in a good way.

I swear if that tactless dweeb ever takes over at United I will stop watching football indefinitely. It would be the final straw to end all final straws.
Let's face it, he's the Glazers' wet dream of a manager.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Newcastle United really making a balls of this. New owners only in the door and already creating an enemy in Villarreal.