Next Newcastle manager

Zoo

Wonder if they'll claim that Emery bottled it, Garry Cook style.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Imagine even Newcastle having a better manager than us if Emery had gone there :(

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
They need a stepping stone manager to look after what will be a stepping stone squad.

Newcastle couldn't go to Guardiola or Mbappe tomorrow and convince them to join. It has to be an iterative evolution, going from relegation fodder to midtable to Europa League places to top 4 to title challenging. Obviously, with unlimited funds that process can be sped up. But you can't really skip over any steps.

What they do next should ideally be done with a view towards sustainability - because they can't realistically sack the manager, sell 24 sub-par players and sign 24 superior players every single summer.

The Saudi's first choice for manager should be somebody who is can reliably get them into around 7th to 5th place. And the players they sign should be top 4 potential or thereabouts so that, at worst, they can become squad players in the long term.

Hassenhutl fits the bill for next manager, imo. Lingard and Henderson would be ideal in terms of possible player acquisitions. Maybe Bale and Sterling for a bit of additional experience.

It won't be until they're established in the top 4 that they'll start competing for Europe's elite managers and players.
What defhuk has Hesenhutl done to deserve that?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

google translate said:
No matter how much noise there was yesterday in another country, within the club there was transparency and loyalty with the Roig family and with my squad, which is maximum and for me it is the most important thing. Villarreal CF is my home and I am 100% committed. Honestly, I am grateful for the interest of a great club, but even more grateful to be here and that is why I communicated to Fernando Roig my decision to want to continue being part of this project because of the commitment and respect that I perceive from the club and from my players , which is mutual and reciprocal. I want to thank the fans for the support they have always shown me. On Sunday we have a very important game and I hope that together we can achieve victory. See you at the Estadio de la Cerámica. Gràcies, groguets! Endavant !!!
They definitely fecked up with the leaks. I'd be surprised if Howe isn't the next manager now.

Gandalf

Eddie Howe will definitely relegate them so I am pulling for him to get the job. His reputation is mind blowing, he had a nice little patch of good play with Bournemouth but in the end he relegated them in his final season and bought some utter dross when he had money to spend. I also think the fact that he has been out of the game over 12 months and waffled ridiculously over the Celtic job in the summer is an indication that he really does not fancy dealing with pressure. He is suited to playing nice football at a club with low expectations but Newcastle will want instant success reagrdless of how unrealistic that may be.

marktan

Can't wait to see the crap Howe buys with all the Saudi money he gets. Probably will fund Liverpool's transfer budget for the next couple of years.

Funnily enough if he was around for the last couple of years and did the same thing with Chelsea's academy, he'd have been able to pick out quite a few decent talents. Knowing his luck he'll go for the next batch and up with more Ibes, Akes and Solankes.

Zoo

Eddie Howe has big problems trying to coach a defence and that would be compounded by just how poor Newcastle's defenders are. Am guessing that Fonseca is not impressing in interviews. They are in a relegation battle and could do with someone like Hodgson to keep them in the league this season.

InfiniteBoredom

Surprised they are not phoning Big Sam yet. Give him a blank cheque in Jan and they will survive the drop, then go for someone more fancy in the summer, fighting relegation with half the squad knowing they won’t be there next season is a tricky task.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Emery to Howe is a big downgrade, I quite like Eddie but doesn’t he not like living away from the south of England? Sure I’ve read that loads of times.

redshaw

Chasing Emery like that felt like they're trying to run before walking. Shame though, we could've done with some disruption at Villarreal as we go there next week.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Glad Emery stayed. Despite a lot of draws, he’s done well at Villarreal.

tyunited

Chasing Emery like that felt like they're trying to run before walking. Shame though, we could've done with some disruption at Villarreal as we go there next week.
We dont play Villareal until the 23rd. I would take another draw and beat Young Boys at OT.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We are heading into Christmas, you got a shite squad. Both players and managers are all looking at that and questioning it quite rightly. For some, no amount of money is going to take you there.

I can only see a few washed up 31+ YOs going there In January for a last big paycheck. For managers, most will rightly recognize they probably won’t even last the season, so why would they move if they’re settled.

Oldyella

It does seem like the board/owners are lacking experience in the footballing industry and it might end up costing them here. I'm a bit surprised they didn't get a 'football person' as a part of the consortium prior to the takeover.

For what it's worth, I think Emery will still join but he needs to save some face in Spain, probably because he's wise enough to know he'll be sacked within four years and be back in Spain looking for a job.
Do you really need a football person though to know that leaking a job offer while someone is still on their current role is bad form

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Emery to Howe is a big downgrade, I quite like Eddie but doesn’t he not like living away from the south of England? Sure I’ve read that loads of times.
Pretty sure that's why he eventually said no to Celtic.

Bournemouth syndrome, like 'Arry.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised they are not phoning Big Sam yet. Give him a blank cheque in Jan and they will survive the drop, then go for someone more fancy in the summer, fighting relegation with half the squad knowing they won’t be there next season is a tricky task.
Toon Army hate him as much as Bruce for his 2007 spell. You're right though, he went in at Everton at similar stage of 2017-18 season when they were bottom 3 I think and kept them up comfortably so they do need that type and then move on to more progressive 2-3 year manager.

Hodgson wouldn't be a bad shout until end of the season, kept Palace up despite losing their first 7 games.

lemmiwink

I don’t think they will go for a british manager. I could see them going in for Mancini as the money would be alot better than being a national team coach. Maybe Martinez even.

hobbers

Triple Brendans wages, whatever it takes to get him on board. Anything to get him off the market before Ole is sacked. Please.

JuriM

It's really tough marker to land a proper manager atm. Plenty involved with national teams ahead of World Cup year and others only available if you pay out their current club and they really want to come.

stu_1992

It's Howes to lose now. Look he can definitely get a team playing some decent stuff, although not sure that's what they need now. As for people saying he'll make some awful signings, to be honest I doubt he'll have much a say. A clear manager for the transition but I would think the squad building will be left up to someone else. The owners will definitely want to be bring in some flashy toys, and hasn't there been talks of them looking for a sporting director? Nah he'll just have to get a tune out of whatever expansive players are bought for him. This will not be like Bournemouth where he was in control of transfers, no way they are leaving that up to Howe.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Could see the Newcastle owners releasing a book in 12 months time called:

Howe to get relegated

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'm enjoying this. Thought they'd have someone coming in as fast as Conte replaced Nuno at Spurs but they don't look particularly organised so far.

A bit surprised by it too. The next manager might not be the long-term one they eventually want to go on and win the biggest trophies with, but the pay must be good and they already attracted Benitez who was quite high-profile in the past when they didn't have this kind of money to pay him or splurge on the squad in January.

Random name - AVB? Just been going through this really - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

meninred

How is he much better than Bruce ? I thought they are both relegation coaches.