Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Has anyone thought about giving Farke a chance with a decent budget for once? Think he could be great!

Wayne's World

I'd love Mancini to come, His Italy team in the Euros was the most impressed I've been watching a team since Barcelona in 09. Movement, skill, attacking flair, so un-Italian like but it was fantastic to watch.

Couldn't care less If he managed City before, he's a top class coach

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not trying to start an argument as I'm no great shakes when it comes to tactics, but was LVG a reactive coach? I thought he was all about dominating possession and waiting for the opposition to make a mistake by getting out of position and then capitalising?
Once upon a time he was but he became pragmatic and risk averse as he got older. I was a fan of LVG but his possession play which relies on good positioning became very basic when compared to the new breed of coaches who implemented a higher tempo possession game style with a vertical axis. Van Gaal implemented a horizontal low risk style in a low/mid block. Whilst others like Guardiola and ten Hag look to dominate possession but with a higher risk, vertical approach IMO.

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

Unfortunately the board at the club don’t really like to have to get involved, they much prefer the safety from distance and hope that any crisis will blow over.

Unfortunately for Ole, he has now lost the fans and it is only a question of time. He is never pulling this back, he’s had long enough and now with the best squad he’s had his team is performing as bad as they have under him.

While we have seen our rivals act quickly and decisively, the complete opposite happens with our board.

The rot has set in, we’ve got a lot of disillusioned players, who see the same team getting beat or performing badly yet get picked over and over again.

If something doesn’t change quickly then there is going to be a big squad issue come January.

I really wanted Ole to succeed but it seems he has run his course……when and who is now the ONLY debate the board should be having. To keep supporting him is now only detrimental to the club.
The right thing to do isn’t always the easy thing to do, but once you’ve done it you realise you should have done it sooner.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Not trying to start an argument as I'm no great shakes when it comes to tactics, but was LVG a reactive coach? I thought he was all about dominating possession and waiting for the opposition to make a mistake by getting out of position and then capitalising?
Correct, LvG was / is the polar opposite of a reactive coach.

He’s absolutely staunch in his approach and so rigid with it that once he’s been worked out he refuses to change.

Great manager for quick tournaments - World Cup / Euros etc, not so much when playing twice a week.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't want anyone else but Ten Hag.

I am tired of having managers who constantly set us up like relegation teams vs the best teams.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't want anyone else but Ten Hag.

I am tired of having managers who constantly set us up like relegation teams vs the best teams.
Same and he needs to bring his entire team with him.

BlueHaze

If Ten Hag then it won't be until the next season. He won't leave Ajax now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Ten Hag then it won't be until the next season. He won't leave Ajax now.
If we get someone really good, like Rangnick, on a temporary basis then I think it's acceptable to wait till the end of the season if it means securing Ten Hag.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why not. We are Manchester United. Payout his contract and give them a friendly
Bit arrogant, don't you think? Ajax is a major European club who couldn't care less about a friendly with us.

And Ajax can't do anything if the manager wants to leave. You just pay them and if he wants to come , he will.

UnitedRepublic

When there where rumors of us signing Ole as our manager I though no someone is taking the mick. It’s like signing some one from the Swedish league as a manager. Brighton did it with Graham Potter but he had to prove himself in the championship first and he did. He also took his swedish team to the europa league and beat Arsenal.

Then when he got the job I though alright this is just a short fix until the summer but no Ole is still here. No titles won, no passage of play nothing at all only expensive players.

Mainoldo

Bit arrogant, don't you think? Ajax is a major European club who couldn't care less about a friendly with us.

And Ajax can't do anything if the manager wants to leave. You just pay them and if he wants to come , he will.
Very arrogant… but we claim to be the biggest club in the world on status. Whilst our status rivals like Real Madrid seen to always get the job done. So I fail to understand the difference.

SplitzMagic

Ralf Rangnick will take this team to a whole new level.

He's interested, happy to move to DOF too so having him for as long as he wants and bringing in another manager long term would be extremely good.

Means we have structure from high up. What he did for Hoffenheim but mainly RB Leipzig was phenomenal.

If you don't know about him, he is who Tuchel and Klopp got their philosophies from.

the_cliff

Very arrogant… but we claim to be the biggest club in the world on status. Whilst our status rivals like Real Madrid seen to always get the job done. So I fail to understand the difference.
The difference is Ajax aren't Everton. You can't poach a manager from the likes of Ajax mid season. Especially when we have good ties with the club and a former United player is their chairman.

OLLY ORANGE

No confidence in the board getting it right but please any manager with the ability to implement his own style on us.
Any thing other than Ole is an improvement on what we have atm

Mainoldo

The difference is Ajax aren't Everton. You can't poach a manager from the likes of Ajax mid season. Especially when we have good ties with the club and a former United player is their chairman.
They play in the Eridverse. What are you talking about. Getting Richarlison or DCL is far harder than getting any Ajax player. Some of you guys really do let this board get away far too easy. The only reason we will have an issue getting Ten Hag is because our board can’t get the job done. Nothing else.

Gurtej

I am a simple man and will ask a simple question:

what are we building and aiming for.
Titles? If so, any blind person can tell we are in a wrong path with Ole! I am sure even Gary N will agree with me that Ole can’t compete with other top managers in the league. So now or later, Ole will go.

Second question is, do we think there is a risk of missing out on top 4 already. I can almost gurantee we will miss out with Ole in charge, so why wait for later? Even if you need to find a 9 month solution, find now and plan in summer for a longer term one. I said it before, we made a mistake letting Conte go. We could have also offered 18 month contract (enough of this stupidity of 3-6 years of contracts, football has moved on).

I mean who would have thought after buying players like Cavani, Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo, we will be in this mess and playing back 5 against bloody Atlanta for god sake!!

lsd

The Oracle
He's a AC Milan correspondent but we've got to start somewhere.

The board apparently met after the Liverpool game and did nothing so i wouldn't hold my breath for them to act this time

the_cliff

They play in the Eridverse. What are you talking about. Getting Richarlison or DCL is far harder than getting any Ajax player. Some of you guys really do let this board get away far too easy. The only reason we will have an issue getting Ten Hag is because our board can’t get the job done. Nothing else.
We're not talking about players here, we're talking about the manager. Ajax sell their players once the right offer comes, they're a selling club, however the manager is different. He rejected Barcelona in the summer. He recently rejected Newcastle who I'm sure offered him decent compensation, much more than he gets at Ajax. He has stated repeatedly he wants to finish his project at Ajax, he has a say in footballing aspects, the club is structured nicely for him, he's happy and in the middle of a season where he's doing really well in the UCL and will most likely reach the latter stages of the competition.

I'm not saying he won't leave Ajax if we came in for him in the summer. But expecting him to just drop everything and join the mess we're in at the moment and start implementing his style and system from scratch just because we're United and play in the premier league is quite arrogant.

Not to mention the fact that we have a good relationship with Ajax and Van Der Sar is their chairman, poaching their manager mid season will leave a very bad taste in their mouth.

Idxomer

It doesn't make sense at all for Tan Hag to leave in the middle of the season when his team is performing well in Europe again.

Mainoldo

We're not talking about players here, we're talking about the manager. Ajax sell their players once the right offer comes, they're a selling club, however the manager is different. He rejected Barcelona in the summer. He recently rejected Newcastle who I'm sure offered him decent compensation, much more than he gets at Ajax. He has stated repeatedly he wants to finish his project at Ajax, he has a say in footballing aspects, the club is structured nicely for him, he's happy and in the middle of a season where he's doing really well in the UCL and will most likely reach the latter stages of the competition.

I'm not saying he won't leave Ajax if we came in for him in the summer. But expecting him to just drop everything and join the mess we're in at the moment and start implementing his style and system from scratch just because we're United and play in the premier league is quite arrogant.

Not to mention the fact that we have a good relationship with Ajax and Van Der Sar is their chairman, poaching their manager mid season will leave a very bad taste in their mouth.
We aren’t in a mess. We just need a good manager. Not being funny but you spoke of a giant club with no money and a club with a relegation team who just got money. It’s not a hard concept to see why he turned these approaches down. But feel free to give me the pros of why Barcelona and Newcastle would be a good move?

I mean they’ve just hired Xavi and Howe. Give me a break :lol:

Get VDS on the phone and have a serious conversation. It won’t be quick but it’s not impossible to do. Look at our F‘ing team. From Haller to Martial And that’s not even the B list in some peoples eyes.

Mainoldo

It doesn't make sense at all for Tan Hag to leave in the middle of the season when his team is performing well in Europe again.
Yeah like Ajax have a better chance o winning over us with him managing us.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ralf Rangnick will take this team to a whole new level.

He's interested, happy to move to DOF too so having him for as long as he wants and bringing in another manager long term would be extremely good.

Means we have structure from high up. What he did for Hoffenheim but mainly RB Leipzig was phenomenal.

If you don't know about him, he is who Tuchel and Klopp got their philosophies from.
You just appointed a DoF. Why would he hire his own replacement?

Longshanks

If Ten haag would be willing to come mid season than we should move heaven and earth for him. Unfortunately I don't think he will.

We should seriously consider Potter, young English manager really working wonders with a Brighton team that is honestly a joy to watch, they play the kind of football we should play. Progressive attacking football that has been shown to be more than a match to most of the PL so far including some big sides.

Bring him in on an 18 month contract, if he really struggles this season get rid in summer and move for ten haag, if he does well your give him full season and some money in the summer.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I am a simple man and will ask a simple question:

what are we building and aiming for.
Titles? If so, any blind person can tell we are in a wrong path with Ole! I am sure even Gary N will agree with me that Ole can’t compete with other top managers in the league. So now or later, Ole will go.

Second question is, do we think there is a risk of missing out on top 4 already. I can almost gurantee we will miss out with Ole in charge, so why wait for later? Even if you need to find a 9 month solution, find now and plan in summer for a longer term one. I said it before, we made a mistake letting Conte go. We could have also offered 18 month contract (enough of this stupidity of 3-6 years of contracts, football has moved on).

I mean who would have thought after buying players like Cavani, Sancho, Varane, Ronaldo, we will be in this mess and playing back 5 against bloody Atlanta for god sake!!
Everything you say makes perfect sense.
But our board are bunch of clowns. Time after time, they make bad decisions.

the_cliff

We aren’t in a mess. We just need a good manager. Not being funny but you spoke of a giant club with no money and a club with a relegation team who just got money. It’s not a hard concept to see why he turned these approaches down. But feel free to give me the pros of why Barcelona and Newcastle would be a good move?

I mean they’ve just hired Xavi and Howe. Give me a break :lol:

Get VDS on the phone and have a serious conversation. It won’t be quick but it’s not impossible to do. Look at our F‘ing team. From Haller to Martial And that’s not even the B list in some peoples eyes.
Do you think with this squad Ten Hags tactics are something that will take 1 week to implement ?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Do you think with this squad Ten Hags tactics are something that will take 1 week to implement ?
Yes. New managers implement their tactics instantly. And then they work on improving the team's execution of them.

The notion that it takes months and years for a manager's work to show is only there to make excuses for ineffective or uninspiring managers.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Rangnick is good but more as a SD. Rangnick with Hutter would be good but then you’d probably need to get rid of Murtaugh etc. I don’t see that happening…

Status
Not open for further replies.