Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

I'd be gutted if it was Rodgers, I'd genuinely would struggle to get behind that

Poch would be an upgrade but I don't think he's all that

would have loved Zidane but if he doesn't want it then it's a non-starter

so I'm coming around to the idea of ETH, I like the idea of having a real possession-based manager in-charge - although I'll be honest I don't know that much about him

AussieDevil

Every possible manager just seems so underwhelming. Especially having both Pep and Klopp to compete with. Not to mention Tuchel and Conte.

The one I’d really want is Mancini, but he isn’t going to leave Italy. I’d take Ten Hag but I’m not 100% sold on him. Don’t want Poch or Rodgers.

croadyman

Rodgers and Pochettino would be horrible appointments and a waste of 2-3 years until the board are under enough pressure to do another swap.

Has to be Ten Hag.
Rodgers can see where your coming from, however would have Pochettino as my second choice behind Ten Hag. Let’s face it Zidane is not remotely interested

RedBanker

I love you Ole
If we qualify from the CL group stages we absolutely have to persuade ETH to join now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rodgers can see where your coming from, however would have Pochettino as my second choice behind Ten Hag. Let’s face it Zidane is not remotely interested
Yeah tbh given that Mancini/Enrique/Zidane all seem like non starters... it seems like it's a list of Ten Hag, Pochettino, Rodgers. Ten Hag the easy pick there, Pochettino being second choice is almost by default I guess. I have a feeling it'll be him, in which case I sure as feck hope it wasn't just a good few years at the start with Spurs and he can in fact build and improve on what he showed there. I don't think what he showed at Spurs is good enough anyway, so he definitely would need to improve on that, and hope the past 5 years was more of a bad luck period... but I fear he's just on the downslope and was never good enough anyway. Like someone else said, it feels like he's an itch that our board needs to scratch.

croadyman

Yeah tbh given that Mancini/Enrique/Zidane all seem like non starters... it seems like it's a list of Ten Hag, Pochettino, Rodgers. Ten Hag the easy pick there, Pochettino being second choice is almost by default I guess. I have a feeling it'll be him, in which case I sure as feck hope it wasn't just a good few years at the start with Spurs and he can in fact build and improve on what he showed there. I don't think what he showed at Spurs is good enough anyway, so he definitely would need to improve on that, and hope the past 5 years was more of a bad luck period... but I fear he's just on the downslope and was never good enough anyway. Like someone else said, it feels like he's an itch that our board needs to scratch.
I was impressed by how close he got Spurs to the title in 2016, think they win it IF Kante, Mahrez & Vardy drove on the others. I mentioned about the itch which the board needs to scratch I think.

Winrar

Agree he is a gamble and would prefer ten Hag even though he is also a gamble, to a lesser extent. Don't agree with the moyes comparison though, potter plays a progressive style of football which would fit at a larger club. Whereas moyes always played a rather counter attacking style so had to try and adapt to playing a different style of football
I agree that they're different in terms of how they set up tactically.

But the similarity I draw is their relative success in the lower levels PL and the gamble that is their move up to a team with more pedigree. It could work out better for Potter because employs a more progressive brand of football like you said which could work out better for us instead of Moyes. But whether he can handle the ego in the dressing room is anyone's guess. Better than Rodgers at any rate.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyways the chances of hiring Mancini is very low, I hope he isn't in the list of potential candidates at all.

Hopefully we are working on hiring ten Hag.

FromTheBench

Has to be Ten Hag or Galtier for me.

After that I'd rather go for Potter than names mentioned. Or maybe even a Rangnick.

croadyman

Anyways the chances of hiring Mancini is very low, I hope he isn't in the list of potential candidates at all.

Hopefully we are working on hiring ten Hag.
I want to believe that but the problem is will our board give him the players needed to fit his style

stw2022

If they haven't got a replacement nailed down already waiting for the contractually convenient time to announce it, what kind of time table do you think the club are working with? Even if they've yet to make up their mind who the permanent manager will be presumably they'd want to have made a decision within the next few weeks so they have to to discuss the January window. There may be targets that become available that we wouldn't want to sign unless they fit into the long-term replacement's plans. Also there's a conversation to be had about outgoings. There's a lot of fat to trim.

Even if not officially in place, even potentially under contract elsewhere, you'd expect the guy we're targeting for summer 2022 to be in the driving seat for the January window coming up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I want to believe that but the problem is will our board give him the players needed to fit his style
Tbf every manager was backed at ManUtd. We have spent money, it's on coaches to make good use of that.

croadyman

Tbf every manager was backed at ManUtd. We have spent money, it's on coaches to make good use of that.
It's not just the players but we also have such a shitshow of a structure compared to what he has in place at Ajax

MDFC Manager

They'll give him the players, but it appears that the modern day manager needs much more. Sort of like hand holding through various things - recruitment, youth team setups, coaching philosophies etc. We've not really got any of these things nailed on at United, so its likely that most managers we look to hire will eventually fail.

the_cliff

So you are basically saying Ronaldo cannot absolutely play in a team ,where there is a requirement to press high? Well, not saying you are wrong but I would like to think otherwise. Messi or Ronaldo has never been a consistent pressing player. Pressing doesn't mean , you have to run all the game chasing the ball carriers. Coaches design certain specific pressing areas and reduce the space available to pass.

For e.g - a manager can decide to play Ronaldo on the left when the team doesn't have the ball. Means, Ronaldo has to shut down the right backs passing lane while the rest of the team take care of other areas.

How do you think Barca implemented a high pressing strategy with all those Old guards ? Aguero wasn't known for his pressing or hardworking either and he did fine under Pep. Before Messi and Poch PSG pressed with Mbappe and Neymar.

The notion that CR7 doesn't press at all is BS. We just need the right manager to get the best from him. Whether Poch is the man to do that, I don't know.
I agree with this. However, Ronaldo with the ball at his feet is another problem. He doesn't contribute to overall play, the reason he's gone through 5 managers in 3 years and had fall outs with Sarri/Allegri is because if he doesn't score he's pretty much completely useless in a footballing sense. While modern football has banished the 'poacher' type striker Ronaldo is probably the last one left that plays for a top team, so I would not be surprised if ETH or Poch struggle when the focal point of the team can't hold up or build up play.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'd be gutted if it was Rodgers, I'd genuinely would struggle to get behind that

so I'm coming around to the idea of ETH, I like the idea of having a real possession-based manager in-charge - although I'll be honest I don't know that much about him
You’ve described my position perfectly

yipthatman

I agree with this. However, Ronaldo with the ball at his feet is another problem. He doesn't contribute to overall play, the reason he's gone through 5 managers in 3 years and had fall outs with Sarri/Allegri is because he if he doesn't score he's pretty much completely useless in a footballing sense. While modern football has banished the 'poacher' type striker Ronaldo is probably the last one left that plays for a top team, so I would not be surprised if ETH or Poch struggle when the focal point of the team can't hold up or build up play.
Ronaldo can go for all I care. Proper Hollywood signing. The whole team has suffered for it. Sure, he is technically superb but its a team game. As for a new manager, I want a manager who can make the whole more than the sum of its parts and change systems and tactics on the fly. I think Ten Hag should be given the job in summer. Maybe get Zidane in until then (if he would come as intrim).

Leicester Fox

Supports
Leicester
The Sun and Daily Mail saying Man Utd are willing to pay the £8million clause in Rodgers contract.

Yes only paper talk, but maybe some truth in it.

The word down here was Rodgers was house hunting in Cheshire the other week, so who knows.

yipthatman

The Sun and Daily Mail saying Man Utd are willing to pay the £8million clause in Rodgers contract.

Yes only paper talk, but maybe some truth in it.

The word down here was Rodgers was house hunting in Cheshire the other week, so who knows.
The problem with Rogers is that if he does well all is fine. As soon as he has a few losses (which most managers do have from time to time) the fans are not going to be patient with him. At the end of the day, he is a failed Liverpool manager in most fans eyes. He is probably ideal until summer too, then get Ten Hag.

gajender

@KirkDuyt how highly you rate Arne Slot could he be a gamble worth taking next season for United if he does well this season or he needs to take more intermediate step .
And how does compare against Ten Hag style wise .

Laurencio

It's time to shine Brucie. Show us what good defence can do. One last hurrah before you retire in the summer as a champions league winner. You'd love to see it.

On a more serious note, he'd probably be able to fix the defence and set pieces?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Perhaps the most memorable characteristic of Poch’s Spurs team was their relentless high press and work rate. They had that cliche “defend from the front” sort of philosophy.

How exactly does that work with a 36+ year old CR7 and several other attacking players who don’t put a shift in?
Well, if Ronaldo is detrimental to the system - you bench him.

Use him sparingly/as a super sub/whatever works.

And if you require players to put a shift in, you bench anyone who doesn't - until they do.

If it should turn out that they're physically or otherwise incapable of doing what's required of them, you just have to move them on - yes?

yipthatman

Well, if Ronaldo is detrimental to the system - you bench him.

Use him sparingly/as a super sub/whatever works.

And if you require players to put a shift in, you bench anyone who doesn't - until they do.

If it should turn out that they're physically or otherwise incapable of doing what's required of them, you just have to move them on - yes?
Ole tried benching him. Ronaldo wants to play every minute of every game. At the detriment of other up and coming players. The problem is, fit as he is, his body is still aging. I agree with you he should be used more sparingly. It would take a strong manager to bench him though and tell Fergie to do one and stop poking his nose in.

yipthatman

People will laugh, but I'd rather have him than Carrick.
Sick of this United inbred DNA. No more ex-players. It doesn't work. If he does well for a few games the fans will be singing to give him a contract out of nostalgia passion. And the Glazers will oblige. A complete clear-out is needed and a proper manager and coaching set up added.

Tarrou

I'd take Brucey to avoid having to have Rodgers now, and could get ETH or someone else better next summer

minoo-utd

Club was obvious about it, they search for an interim manager till the end of the season and then hire a permanent one. I don't think neither Poch nor Rodgers will come now. And it will leave good time for the board to choose carefully after season ends, they can try with Zidane again or Hag or whoever they will bring but definitely a permanent manager won't come now. Worst part is this season seemed to be wrote off completely because of this mess.

Jimmah

I'd like to see Blanc take over until the end of the season and then re-evaluate. I think that would be most sensible.

lsd

The Oracle
People will laugh, but I'd rather have him than Carrick.

Well yes he is a proper experienced manager so he would be a better luck than Carrick.

Whether that's what we should be basing decisions on on another matter

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Poch is unhappy at Paris so get him now. Zidane to take over at PSG as he seems to be the master of dealing with the super-egos.

In all seriousness if the ranking of managers we want according to Sky (1. Poch 2. Ten Hag 3. Rodgers) is true I am fine with that. Not sure about that interim talk and Carrick taking over, I really hope we won't see another "give it to him" situation.
If it is necessary to get either Poch or Ten Hag in the summer then so be it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It would take a strong manager to bench him though and tell Fergie to do one and stop poking his nose in.
I'm not convinced that Fergie is doing much actual poking (the old man loves Ronaldo, obviously - but how much influence he has is debatable) - but, yes, we definitely need a strong manager.

Contrary to what his most deluded fans think, Ronaldo can clearly be seen as a potential problem - a basic requirement for the new man will be that he sees Ronaldo as just another player who must be used wisely and appropriately.

crossy1686

career ending

Akin to when we appointed Moyes for me. Just utterly disappointing and destined to fail

Status
Not open for further replies.