Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Main culprit for the situation we're in now?
Yes. The lack of direction today comes from the fact that we started from scratch in 2013. Before that the structure was SAF, he built a small team that fitted him and only him, in Summer 2013 we lost our CEO and our football structure, all the people left were inexperienced and had nothing to lean on, they also ultimately showed that they weren't competent but it doesn't change the fact that they were left with nothing from a structural standpoint.

Real Name

Oh my life you’re deadly serious. I can’t cope!

You must of been up all night. Let’s hope your real name isn’t Ed Woodward :lol:
You're some kind of comedian?
Drum roll.
If you dont have anything meaningful to say on the subject (which wouldnt be a surprise) just leave it.

pascell

I wouldn't back Rodgers if he was appointed manager, Leicester football at times this season has been worse than ours and that's with a much inferior midfield. The way they passed the ball about vs Chelsea was like watching us.

The next managerial appointment is absolutely crucial, get it wrong and we're done for another 5 years at least.

Real Name

Yes. The lack of direction today comes from the fact that we started from scratch in 2013. Before that the structure was SAF, he built a small team that fitted him and only him, in Summer 2013 we lost our CEO and our football structure, all the people left were inexperienced and had nothing to lean on, they also ultimately showed that they weren't competent but it doesn't change the fact that they were left with nothing from a structural standpoint.
I think from 2013 till now there was more than enough time to restructure the club.

JPRouve

Scout
I think from 2013 till now there was more than enough time to restructure the club.
Time doesn't change the fact that you start from scratch and logically spent time to learn and understand new things, if you even learn something. Time isn't a substitute for expertise and experience.

DULLAGHAN

Why is there so much talk about interim managers?

This is Manchester United, decide who you want. Go to him, put an offer on the table that is now or never. Pay his club what they want.

Get the manager now, don't write if another season and so much talent.

The club is run by idiots!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is depressing. We literally had one of top 10 managers in the world willing to accept an 18-month contract mere three weeks ago. Now we are going to go through next weeks with virtually the same coaching team before we MAYBE appoint an interim manager before potentially appointing a manager with worse record than him. 'Process only started' really tells you everything you need to know.

SER19

I see some have decided that if we get Pochettino - current manager of one of the biggest clubs and among CL favourites- that it must mean Ferguson is ruling all. Honestly the conclusions people jump to are just mental.

Its either Pochettino, Ten Hag, Rodgers or Zidane. That's it.

Zidane doesn't seem interested.
Our fans aren't pushed by Rodgers.

So it leaves 2 viable candidates so we seem to decide which narrative will outrage us more and go with that.

Tiresome

AneRu

It's for an other thread but SAF responsibility is a bit larger than that, if you consider the fact that he was in charge of the Football side organization, he knew that by leaving he would totally gut the team, yet he never altered the way he worked and introduced outsiders to the organization. As much as I have a lot of fondness and respect for SAF, he is one of the main culprit. With power comes responsibilities.
Whilst I think we can't blame it all on SAF he has indeed played a part, we know that he had a hand in bringing in Moyes and I'd suspect he played a part in getting Ole through the door and the subsequent overdue stay due to board inaction in the face of terrible results.

Seems there was an argument for and against Ole and if SAF put in a word in support of giving Ole more time when immediate action was required. As a result we lost out on a very good manager who could have stabilized us this season. Admittedly all of this is based on conjecture and we can't condemn the man on speculation.

Another thing is that Woodward has a fudiciary responsibility to take care of the club and he shouldn't allow 'outside' influence to alter his decision making processes. If he allowed SAF, Co92 or anyone to influence his decisions on the club then its on him. In nearly ten years in charge Woodward doesn't have the feel for the game, that intuition to know when and how to act in any situation is alien to him so we are always going to be playing catch up and in constant damage control if remains as influential as he is.

cyberman

Whilst I think we can't blame it all on SAF he has indeed played a part, we know that he had a hand in bringing in Moyes and I'd suspect he played a part in getting Ole through the door and the subsequent overdue stay due to board inaction in the face of terrible results.

Seems there was an argument for and against Ole and if SAF put in a word in support of giving Ole more time when immediate action was required. As a result we lost out on a very good manager who could have stabilized us this season. Admittedly all of this is based on conjecture and we can't condemn the man on speculation.

Another thing is that Woodward has a fudiciary responsibility to take care of the club and he shouldn't allow 'outside' influence to alter his decision making processes. If he allowed SAF, Co92 or anyone to influence his decisions on the club then its on him. In nearly ten years in charge Woodward doesn't have the feel for the game, that intuition to know when and how to act in any situation is alien to him so we are always going to be playing catch up and in constant damage control if remains as influential as he is.
The stories were that SAF was against giving Ole the permanent job and wanted Poch instead.
I have no idea where your assumptions have come from

Alright, scuttlebutt says Brendan Rodgers is all but confirmed at this point. And I'm inclined to believe that, as he is the most Woodward appointment ever.

sigh

We are finished. With Brendan Rodgers at the helm this club will at long last cement it's position firmly out of Top 4. On the bright side, at least will have a go at Carabao and FA I guess, haha.
Who is Scuttlebutt? If it’s Rodgers then agreed, we are done as a serious football club for the next 3/5 years.

JPRouve

Scout

It's definitely not all on SAF, he had bosses. The Glazers and Gill are even bigger issues because they should have asked SAF to implement changes or they should have imposed them because it was in the long term interest of the club.

AneRu

Surely Poch is a better option than Conte
Conte is a multiple title winner and was the last manager to take the title off Pep and Klopp and then went to Serie A and broke Juve's hold there. He deserves more respect.

L1nk

Why is there so much talk about interim managers?

This is Manchester United, decide who you want. Go to him, put an offer on the table that is now or never. Pay his club what they want.

Get the manager now, don't write if another season and so much talent.

The club is run by idiots!
Because this isn’t reality.

if we want a current top manager then they are currently all in better situations midway through the season. If it was start of a season im sure we’d have our pick but its not which is why we are struggling

lsd

The Oracle
Can people seriously so being so selfish and saying Fergie should come back for six months.

The man is retired and suffered serious health problems let him enjoy his retirement in peace

AneRu

It's definitely not all on SAF, he had bosses. The Glazers and Gill are even bigger issues because they should have asked SAF to implement changes or they should have imposed them because it was in the long term interest of the club.
You are absolutely right, the Glazers needed to know the risk of someone like Fergie leaving suddenly and should have made moves to change the structure in 2011 or 2012. They are so negligent its beyond shocking.

PeteManic

It will be Pochettino. His contract is up in June and PSG will want Zidane when they fail to win the CL again. It's all pretty obvious.

Laurencio

Didn't he go to protect Oles job for him when he clearly should have been sacked? I mean , it's hard to know what to believe. I loved Fergie back in the day but it seems like everything he has a hand in since his retirement fails.
Fergie's name is being used by everyone as a way to gain legitimacy for their opinions. Most of which isn't true, or is somehow exaggerated. He's a 79 year old man who had a brain haemorrhage in 2018. With all due respect to Fergie, if you are the CEO of Manchester United and base your decisions on the comments from a 79 year old man with a recent traumatic brain injury, you should not be the CEO of Manchester United.

This is depressing. We literally had one of top 10 managers in the world willing to accept an 18-month contract mere three weeks ago. Now we are going to go through next weeks with virtually the same coaching team before we MAYBE appoint an interim manager before potentially appointing a manager with worse record than him. 'Process only started' really tells you everything you need to know.
Should just go get him if he wants to join and that is our preferred target. PSG could probably get Zidane as a replacement. In fact, I reckon PSG, like all other big clubs, already are in contact with Zidane should we meet their asking price for Poch.

Bestietom

My preference would be a British manager who can help putting the right structure in place and sets out to play modern high pressure football as we see Shitty, the scousers and Chelsea play. Best candidate to meet those requirements is probably Potter.
All those 3 clubs have a foreign manager.

Kyriacandro

It will be Pochettino. His contract is up in June and PSG will want Zidane when they fail to win the CL again. It's all pretty obvious.
If the board want poch I think they should just approach him now pay out psg because I bet the day after he comes to United Zidane is the new psg manager. He would want that gig where as he obviously doesn't want the United job

saivet

Yet another thing to factor in would be the relative squad strength. (ETH seems to get Ajax consistently 'punching above their weight'.)
Interestingly enough when looking at the starting line ups it doesn't really paint that picture, especially in the first leg where Kane and Son were missing.

First leg:
Spurs team:
Lloris
Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen
Trippier, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dele, Rose
Moura, Llorente
Ajax team:
Onana
Veltman, De Ligt, Blind, Taglifico
Schone, de Jong
Zyiech, VDB, Neres
Tadic​

AneRu

The stories were that SAF was against giving Ole the permanent job and wanted Poch instead.
I had the story then but also there were stories that he advised the board to give Ole more time. His influence in bringing in Moyes can't be wished away, it happened.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes, admittedly I did think like that. How about you?
It does look similar. Just as similar when we're trying to sign Maguire, and people kept using Van Dijk as reference to justify the signing. There are similarity, but when you watch them closely how they play, they are different.
So, clearly whatever factors/things you saw in manager doesn’t work when you applied them on Tuchel since you were proven wrong about him. May be you need to view things differently to judge manager now.

Rajma

Watch us go for Poch despite Ten Hag clearly making himself available in the summer. Don’t understand where this high admiration for him is coming from within the board? Is trophies or progressive playing style? I mean his best run at Spurs is associated with playing 3 at the back, so why did they not go for Conte instead, who’s at least a proven winner? Just smacks of incompetency again.

the_cliff

Watch us go for Poch despite Ten Hag clearly making himself available in the summer. Don’t understand where this high admiration for him is coming from within the board? Is trophies or progressive playing style? I mean his best run at Spurs is associated with playing 3 at the back, so why did they not go for Conte instead, who’s at least a proven winner? Just smacks of incompetency again.
Fergie likes him.

Real Name

How is Ten Haag making himself available in the summer exactly? I might be missing something.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How is Ten Haag making himself available in the summer exactly? I might be missing something.
Probably by refusing a new contract since his current contract expired in 2023? That means, he is the cheapest one available out there in the summer.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
People just assume he played a part in Ole getting the job but I've seen nothing to suggest that's true. We know Woodward and the Glazers loved Ole and were all on board with making him permanent.

RatPack

It is because the fans says that this is Man Utd. Surely he is interested. But agree I have seen nothing from Ten Hag that suggest he is interested. And from player performance against City and Watford he should be thinking if these players are just interested in their own ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.