Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

worldgonemad

Too confrontational and doesn't play the right way for the club. Terrible fit.
Is he confrontational though berba?

He's been at Madrid years, so obviously hes not that confrontational. He's managed big name players and big egos too, and without having the financial clout of Barca or Real.

It could be argued that none of the managers since fergusson have played the right way, and in any case times have changed.
A friend of mine supports the hammers and goes on about the west ham way. Its all well and good, but what have they won since those days.

Simeone is a proven elite manager and should be on the list at least.

Luis Enrique is another strong candidate though, I had completely written him off.
Not an option though for him to manage Spain and a club at top level though.
The PL is just too intense and the press would be on him like a pack of wolves the minute results dropped

Let's not forget, you guys are after someone to improve on successive 3rd place finishes. Anything less and the new guy will be slaughtered.

Out of interest what would you see as the minimum success for the next manager?

Personally I think the current squad you have is potential title winning, though not this season.

The new guy coming in will have to have time to settle, so I would write next season off as well, though a cup would definitely be possible.

This would lead me to expect any new manager to be given at least a 3 year contract at least, but would the fans be patient if no success in the next 2 years?

laughtersassassin

Looks like Poch might be coming now. My second choice so happy enough with that.

One thing we need to learn now is when to call it a day.

We have a great squad. So if Poch comes in and we continue to have an awful year we shouldn't automatically just give him another season.

Chelsea wouldn't, Real Madrid wouldn't.

You have to earn the right to stay.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’d ideally love Ten Hag here in the summer but if it’s possible to bring in Pochettino right now then I certainly wouldn’t be against it. The leagues gone but there’s still a lot to play for this season, 26 games to secure top 4, still the CL(for now) and the FA Cup is still up for grabs.
Plus he'd have an extra 6 months of working with the squad + 1 extra transfer window if he came in now rather than the summer. Even ignoring this season, that's a lot more preparation for next season.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interesting. Like I’ve said on this forum before, while I would prefer Ten Hag, Poch would be my second choice. So if we can get him we should.

Ten Hag is also a riskier option to be honest. We do not know how he will take to the premier league. Remember AVB at Chelsea? He was all hype before he joined and never really did it in the premier league.
Sounds like a good argument against Ten Haag.

Green Arrow

He doesn't have that control at PSG as they have DOF, will Poch get the overall control that he wants at Utd? Will the Glazers give him that control that he wants.

WPMUFC

He doesn't have that control at PSG as they have DOF, will Poch get the overall control that he wants at Utd? Will the Glazers give him that control that he wants.
Part of his unhappiness in Paris is around the culture of the club. His team includes superstars like Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe and Neymar but the squad is unbalanced. There is a surplus of left-backs, for example, and there was a feeling they did not need to sign Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma in the summer.

Those recruitment decisions are out of Pochettino's hands since, on transfers, he is essentially an advisor to Leonardo.
We'd all say Ole had a say in his transfer right? Poch is "just the manager" at PSG

L1nk

This seems to be leaking from Poch's side considering it says we haven't even made the approach yet... you'd think given that he's apparently our top target that we'd have put the feelers out but that doesn't seem to be the case, could indicate that he actually isn't our top target? Or did we just legitimately think there was no chance until the summer minimum so didn't bother and just went straight into an interim search instead?

God i'll struggle to care at all if it's Rodgers

Enigma_87

You know who
Maguire is shite and as far as I'm concerned he should be sold in the summer regardless of who the manager is and what system he plays.

Why would we need 3 defenders? We need one more CB if you're not comfortable with Lindeloff to pair with Varane. As I said Shaw and AWB aren't ideal but they wouldn't be an immediate concern. They can put a shift in till we sort out our midfield.

Yeah that's why we need new mids regardless of who the manager is. Conte, Ten Haag, Poch or even Pep no one is winning anything with that midfield.
To me Shaw has been criminally shit this season. Maguire level and in some games even worse. He has bad injury record and also can't be dependent in terms of tactical and positional sense. AWB same - and I really don't see him in the build up.

Lindeloff is a question mark in that set up either. Not too keen on him starting every game.

If we sell Maguire - sure. But that means again revamping the defence and who is going to buy him at 200k per week?

Smores

To be honest I've never been a huge Poch fan, i think Kane elevated his results in the same way Bruno did for Ole.

That said he's not a bad option if we can get him in. Certainly better than Rodgers.

Mainoldo

We have a Dof who does nothing anyway. He will be fine.

Smores

This seems to be leaking from Poch's side considering it says we haven't even made the approach yet... you'd think given that he's apparently our top target that we'd have put the feelers out but that doesn't seem to be the case, could indicate that he actually isn't our top target? Or did we just legitimately think there was no chance until the summer minimum so didn't bother and just went straight into an interim search instead?

God i'll struggle to care at all if it's Rodgers
Yeah it seems very odd to me. I think the club is briefing the no contact lines out of some respect for Ole.

I can't believe for a second that there's not been some background conversations post Liverpool/City etc.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If there's a chance now we should do it. He's probably the first choice for the summer anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No manager should get overall control anywhere and we nominally have a DOF as well. If Poch doesn't want that he won't be managing at many top clubs.

I doubt many top clubs give their manager as much control as we do though given how fresh and light-touch that DOF structure is here.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ten Hag could flop here, but the comparisons to Villas-Boas are fairly off even from a results standpoint. Won't even get into the differences in how they set their teams up.

It's not the same situation. Villas-Boas had a fine final season at Porto, but he was unproven in the Champions League.

Ten Hag has been pretty good in the Champions League.

dweb

To be honest I've never been a huge Poch fan, i think Kane elevated his results in the same way Bruno did for Ole.

That said he's not a bad option if we can get him in. Certainly better than Rodgers.
He'll be in Manchester tomorrow as well

Chip

The more I think of it the more I like the thought of Pochettino. Would love to get him now. Simon Stone reporting it means something is likely to happen.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Poch being available now and having the rest of this season to really get to grips with the team and the job is very tempting. I don't understand why people are shitting all over him to be honest. He was brilliant at Spurs

Wilt

Pochettino now 2/1 for Utd manager, replacing Brenton as favourite.

Anyone but Rodgers.

the_cliff

I wouldn't mind Poch, he's my second choice but we should really putting our all into getting Ten Hag.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’d rather get Poch in the Summer as he would have won something by then. I know winning the French League doesn’t really prove his credentials much but the psychology behind winning things seems to matter a lot.

spiriticon

Poch does know that it is Woody that holds the transfer power, like Leonardo, and not him yes?

Seven Seas Sardines

Like almost everyone else he's my second choice after Rangnick+Ten Hag. My slight worry is that I was never really entertained by his Tottenham team, with that CL final topping it off.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Psg manager role is for old managers who just want their last fat contract or managers who can't choose. You get money and titles in your cv. But you must throw your dignity through the window.
For managers who have options and desire to work, it is last place where you want to be.
Dof selects a team, best players are above you (and then they also protect their friends) and you must basically ask players do they agree about something. Manager is just a puppet there. Similiar to Bayern

mav_9me

I prefer an interim and then Ten Haag but we don't even know if that's an option.

mav_9me

Psg manager role is for old managers who just want their last fat contract or managers who can't choose. You get money and titles in your cv. But you must throw your dignity through the window.
For managers who have options and desire to work, it is last place where you want to be.
Dof selects a team, best players are above you (and then they also protect their friends) and you must basically ask players do they agree about something. Manager is just a puppet there. Similiar to Bayern
Not sure about that. Bayern have always given me the impression of a great team with strong fundamentals on how they play with everyone pulling together in the same direction. They seem the anti thesis to PSG.

AndySmith1990

Can't say I would be disappointed if we hired Poch. He's certainly a step in the right direction at least.

Gilad

Ole, being attacking educated and minded, did not understand the finer issues around what is needed to make a solid defense on this level when fractions of seconds count. For many years now I have felt that Laurent Blanc would be the right person for the job. He's intelligent, understands the game being able to see the entire pitch from the back, has integrity and would be tough on the players but at the same time gain their respect without resorting to fear tactics. He's understands the culture and the players would look up to him. Unfortunately Harry Maguire is not quick enough for a team wanting to contend in the PL and a fit Varane will not be able to cover for him. Ole seemed unable to understand Harry's weak points. Blanc will know how to act and also insist on another purchase on the level of Varane. Confidence throughout the team starts at the back.

Last edited:

croadyman

Im just not excited by Pochetino, I think his time at PSG has clouded my judgement. ETH intrigues me, I like this football and I like the way he talks about the game, the tactics etc. Would prefer him tbh.
Yeah he has that own style thing going on and speaks with so much passion and clarification about it

saivet

Ten Hag would be my first choice with Poch as my second choice. If we can get Poch now and not Ten Hag, it would make sense to go get Poch. Wonder how PSG feel about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.