Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilt

That's not really a valid reason to sack someone unless you want to get sued.

Poch to United and Zidane taking over at PSG satisfies both parties. It's all making sense now.
Think it’s a very sound reason … they wouldn’t be sued, that’s what contracts are for.

However, if a deal can be done involving Zidane to PSG and Poch to Utd ….then great.

I Am Zlatan

Imagine him with the City board though :nervous:, it's worth getting him just to keep him out of their clutches
Unfortunately that’s a scary thought, I wish the board would just bring in a real DF, our situation would improve tremendously. Rangnick until end of season then move him up to DF and go from there would be the most logical thing to do, however I don’t see the board giving up power, so it’s just wishful thinking.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ajax are a bigger club than Spurs, in every way.

Please.

I love Ten Hag and would prefer him to Poch but come on Ajax is one of the biggest, most successful, well run clubs in Europe and have been for the last 40 years.

The only reason Spurs are even mentioned is because of Poch, the only reason Perez and the super league invited them is because of Poch.

The fact that you even consider Spurs to be in the same sentence as Ajax is credit to Poch.

Both managers are brilliant and would undoubtedly improve us.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

Ajax's great history hasn't translated into the modern day football paradigm in an important metric.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
In all the arguments of who's better between Poch or ETH, let's just take a minute and recognise Rodgers is nowhere to be heard/read about. I really don't want him.

SirAF

Ageist
In all the arguments of who's better between Poch or ETH, let's just take a minute and recognise Rodgers is nowhere to be heard/read about. I really don't want him.
Thank feck for that! That would be a bloody huge let down.

choccy77

So you want him but subconsciously even you think he isn't good enough to win the biggest trophies or maybe you think we are already out the Cl .
I simply don't think we have the midfield to seriously win champs league.

Also, if we lose tomorrow its over anyhow pretty much.

Highfather_24

People say Pochetino plays good attacking football, but whenever I've seen PSG this season, they play anything but. Also, Pochetino is struggling with big egos and a top heavy squad at PSG. Not sure why people cant see this obvious car crash from a mile away.

romufc

Wouldn't even give Duncan Castles the time of day. Last week he was reporting about Zidane.

Sviken

Long term in terms of him having a very clear and defined style and tactical awareness and thus a higher chance on success.
No club operates on that basis. That's some fairy tale. The closest would be City having a raging boner over Pep and that's it.

Dominos

Wouldn't even give Duncan Castles the time of day. Last week he was reporting about Zidane.
He said we were trying to convince Zidane... Is there anything to suggest he was wrong? Other sources have suggested Zidane turned us down, as has Castles. If he's getting boardroom level info regarding Ole's sacking, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on who we're looking at to replace him.

Having said that, this Poch news is hardly news, all day it's been clear Poch is the one.

MrEleson

Poch would be such an underwhelming appointment. I don’t think he’s very good at all.

MrEleson

People say Pochetino plays good attacking football, but whenever I've seen PSG this season, they play anything but. Also, Pochetino is struggling with big egos and a top heavy squad at PSG. Not sure why people cant see this obvious car crash from a mile away.
Exactly.

croadyman

Poch would be such an underwhelming appointment. I don’t think he’s very good at all.
Look there is nothing we can do if he's willing to take the job whereas my top choice wants to wait until the summer. I am frustrated that Ten Hag doesn't feel that same urgency for the job but there's nothing we can do about that so get on with it

Wilt

Anyone but Rogers

Keefy18

Really?

Making a Champions league final with Spurs is underwhelming?

And don't bang on about the quality of their squad etc... it was good by thread bare and he over achieved with them. Jose, Nuno and it remains to be seen if Conte can do better with much the same resources.

FromTheBench

Should be between galtier and ten hag.

Seriously don't rate Pochettino that high. He is ok at best not someone who can get to the top.

His PSG side has been okayish since last season.

MrEleson

We’d actually be doing PSG a huge favour if we took Poch from them. Not only would we buy out his contract (despite them not even wanting him). It would also pave the way for their acquisition of Zidane who could be the one key man to convince Mbappe to stay there. A domino effect that could see them walk the CL 2 years in a row.
Would be the best Christmas gift we could give them to say the least.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It's false memory syndrome or sixth sense " I see pressing everywhere"
Ajax play possession from the back and a loaded midfield. They don't press in the way Liverpool do. If you see our squad given belief and the defence sorted out you will see what they can do. This pressing mantra is the 350 million pounds a week to the NHS equivalent guff.
We cannot get a manager because of Ronaldo is total rubbish. We need a pressing manager is total rubbish. This , nothing will change unless Ronaldo presses is rubbish.
Seriously, given Poch or hag or a couple of dozen other managers in charge when you see what happens you will finally realise just how bad Ole and the present staff are.
I love the crazy pressing is the equivalent to Brexit. You act like I'm saying pressing is the only way to play or get success which is not what I'm saying at all. If I was saying if we press we will be great, then you may have a point but I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying there are different ways of playing and we want a manager whose style complements the players we have. And a manager who wants to play with a striker who will close down the opposition as a key or significant part of his strategy would not be a good fit for a squad that is committed to having Ronaldo upfront. If you think that is the same as saying leaving the EU will allow us to give the NHS 350 million pounds then I'm a bit lost for words. If you want a silly comparison hiring a manager who wants to play pressing football with Ronaldo upfront is the equivalent of booking a holiday to Manchester hoping to get a tan. Maybe you will be incredibly lucky and get the odd day of sunshine, but that isn't why you come to Manchester.

No Ajax doesn't press like Liverpool, their press is more equivalent to man city, who again like a possession-based game with an overloaded midfield. Not an exact comparison but more similar than Liverpool. You look at the pressing stats of Man city forwards and Ajax forwards and again very comparable as why both teams like to play possession-based football they work very hard to get it back as soon as they lose it. One of the reasons I would have been intrigued to see what happened if Ronaldo had gone to City, Pep a manager who fell out with Zlatan at Barca cos he wouldn't press, dropped Aguero when he first came to City because of his lack of work rate and then again towards the end of his career at city as he couldn't cover the ground needed. What was he going to do with Ronaldo, whose out-of-possession work rate is below those two? Would have been fascinating to watch. Personally think Ronaldo would have been a plan B style option like Pep wanted Zlatan to be at Barca. I don't expect that would have ended well. But anyway I'm getting off-topic. The point is saying Ajax strikers don't close down and the press opposition isn't true you see it when they play and it is reflected in the stats. So if you suddenly took that out of the Ten Hag's team would they be as effective? I doubt it, you obviously don't think it would make any difference. I would argue the removal of strikers who will close down has had a massive negative effect on Poch's style of play at PSG, You bring in a manager who wants to play one way with players who prefer to play another and you don't get the best out of either, that's not saying one is the right one is wrong. They just are diffrent.

MrEleson

Really?

And don't bang on about the quality of their squad etc... it was good by thread bare and he over achieved with them. Jose, Nuno and it remains to be seen if Conte can do better with much the same resources.
He did that but that alone doesn’t make him a top coach imo.

Sviken

Look there is nothing we can do if he's willing to take the job whereas my top choice wants to wait until the summer. I am frustrated that Ten Hag doesn't feel that same urgency for the job but there's nothing we can do about that so get on with it
This is what some people do not understand. Yeah, we'd all want Ten Hag, but that means basically throwing this entire season away. We have to be pragmatic for once. There's a quality coach available - get him. This "let's wait and see what happens" is what has gotten us in this mess for the past decade. When are we gonna learn that we're not that special and nobody is gonna wait for us to make our mind? Top clubs sack a manager and appoint a new one. They don't wait around and see what's what. We've missed on Poch, we've missed on Tuchel, we've missed on Conte, how many managers do we have to miss on before we start acting like a football club and not Disneyland?

Highfather_24

Really?

His achievements at Spurs were good. Its his PSG stint that worries me.

Poor football. Doesnt seem to have a defined style of play. Struggling with big egos and a top heavy squad. Sound familiar?

Kaos

Ugh I can’t, just can’t get excited by this. Three years ago maybe, but I feel like we’re going to make another Klopp like mistake by snubbing Ten Hag and going for a manager we’ll probably sack within two years.

DutchRed7

For what it's worth: the bookmakers favor Pochettino more and more, odds go down every 1 or 2 hours

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We should wait for the right person if we think the right person won’t come till the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.