Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricane thunderclap

Exactly! Let’s do it properly and hear their plans of how they would turn this season around, plans for the future, which young players they would earmark as future stars, how much they would need to spend, which players are out, what they’d do with Pogba, what staff they want, etc rather than just employing someone they wanted a few years ago
Would be nice wouldn't it.

Suv666

Here’s a radical suggestion - why don’t we interview Poch, Ten Hag (if he’s interested) and anyone else who might be on our shortlist and then appoint the best candidate
They probably are doing it behind the scenes.

Drifter

American
Pochetti seems to be open to a move, if approached, according to the BBC. He would be the perfect fit IMO.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Here’s a radical suggestion - why don’t we interview Poch, Ten Hag (if he’s interested) and anyone else who might be on our shortlist and then appoint the best candidate
All well and good but you do know it's our dear Ed doing the interviews, right?

diarm

I'm not even sure who we'd ask man, and if we did get a hold of their agents somehow, they'd probably laugh at us.

Devil may care

I don't follow the majority that seem to see Ten Hag as the best option. The Dutch league is quite inferior to the Premier League, and it's difficult to gauge how his modest success in the Champions league would translate to Premier League success. What makes Ten Hag such an attractive option compared to Brendan Rodgers and Poch? I'm not really convinced by any of them, but from that 3 I'd go with Poch.
Their CV's are all relatively weak, it simply comes down to actually wanting to enjoy watching United play for many of us, there's no guarantee of success with any appointment, especially given our board, but watch Ten Hag's Ajax and it's essy to see why many of us favour finally having a progressive manager over another reactionary drone manager with no style, who plays all big games as the underdog.

Sviken

Pretty much how I feel.
Would be nice to get the long term option this time.
How many long term options do we need to try before we figure out that's a losing strategy? Moyes was a long term option, then Van Gaal, then Ole... Our only semi-successful manager was a short term option.

Rolaholic

By the way, Poch wanted Sancho at Spurs. City rejected any offer we put forward to them though and ultimately he left for Dortmund. Technically any club could have just taken him for free at that point as he was only on a scholarship contract but City would have been able to block him from playing for the remaining year.
He also raved about VDB during that UCL Semi

Sviken

If the options we are looking at have been narrowed to either Ten Hag or Poch, then I'm very very excited. Either of them would be really good for us.
Either of those two, I'm fine with. But this is the Glazers we're talking about. They'll probably hire Rodgers tomorrow.

yamo123x

Im firmly in the Ten Haag in camp.

He is one of the new breed managers, he has won titles, someone who gets his team playing on the front foot, with speed, passion and intensity. He got Daley Blind, Davy Klaasen and Sebastien Haller looking like world beaters, all 3 struggled in prem league. He has a modern outlook on the game, speaks well and integrates youth... he isnt a world famous manager but he could be given the right platform, he worked with Pep, and his teams play attractive football something we havent seen at OLD TRAFFORD for many years. I would add Ajax solf De Jong, De ligt, Ziyech and DVB, yet he has built again, brought in youngsters and has the team firing again, this is a sign of a good coach, surely this has to be our man.

Poch for me, hasnt won anything (yet) and despite having premier league experience did not buy well, he had some awful signings, Stambouli,Jansen, n'jie, n'koudou,aurier, dier, fazio,ndombele to name just a few..only Son and Moura have worked out. I think he lost his way at Spurs and was lucky to get PSG job as no one else avail at the time. I think Fergie and the board will favour him but surely we have tried established managers like LVG, jose and they didnt work, ole was pure luck and sentiment..maybe time is right to try one of the new breed coaches and see what he can do with this fantastic squad.

Polar

Seems like both United and Poch are ready for joint action. Can’t exclude that Zidane has a higher potential, but Poch is definitely the safest choice: relevant experience (knows PL), attractive football and less language problems compared with Zidane.

Ole managed to build a squad with great potential and a better culture among players - better atmosphere inside the team. Let’s neither forget how many “aways” we had without loosing. That was impressive.

He failed when it came to philosophy or develop a style of play. We seldom looked like a balanced and complete team and Ole seemed lost regarding finding the best medicine (set-up or system)

Poch’s strength is exactly what Ole missed, and that’s why I think he is the perfect candidate to fulfill our potential - and continue the work Ole started.

In retrospect we all agree Ole never was the manager to bring us the last steps. I think Poch can bring us success pretty fast. When he does, more people will likely acknowledge the importance of the work Ole did.

If the options we are looking at have been narrowed to either Ten Hag or Poch, then I'm very very excited. Either of them would be really good for us.
Yes. I voted for Poch on the poll. He takes all the right boxes: Premier League experience; did a very good job at Southampton and Spurs; plays good football. Whoever gets the job must also be allowed to bring in his own coaches.

Lyng

How many long term options do we need to try before we figure out that's a losing strategy? Moyes was a long term option, then Van Gaal, then Ole... Our only semi-successful manager was a short term option.
Long term in terms of him having a very clear and defined style and tactical awareness and thus a higher chance on success.

Bertie 2 Hats

Is there going to be "Fumata Bianca" flowing out of Woodward's chimney to show the world there's a new manager of Manchester United.. ? :devil:

Abraxas

The outcome is the evidence. That and the clear pattern against paying top whack to buy players at their peak - even when you desperately need them. Sancho and Ronaldo were just nice to haves compared to a functioning midfield. That's not hindsight - everyone with half a brain was saying it at the time.
The outcome isn't evidence. You could go to a train station, see a train arrive within 5 minutes and come to the conclusion trains are on a 5 minute schedule because that's your outcome. You're correlating outcomes to totally unclear events that are under debate.

I agree, Ronaldo and Sancho prioritised over a midfield signing looks extremely questionable. However, the primary responsibility for deciding transfer strategy isn't with the Glazers, they don't even negotiate. This has been one of the primary concerns around our structure, that we have no continuity as we rely on the manager. How can that be the case but then we blame Glazers for individual signings or prioritisation?

At best they can be criticised for our inept structure with relation to signings as that contributes to the outcome you're talking about. But it's not the same as them interfering directly, and it certainly does not mean that within the context of not signing a DM they are primarily at fault. Ole could have said at the outset that we want to spend all our money on X holding midfielder. But he didn't, we had an explanation that the "right mid" wasn't available which is clearly a directive of the manager not ownership

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This has to be bollocks

If true PSG would sack him ….why keep a manager that doesn’t want to be there
That's not really a valid reason to sack someone unless you want to get sued.

Poch to United and Zidane taking over at PSG satisfies both parties. It's all making sense now.

the_cliff

Ajax are a tiny club ffs. Everytime the pressure has been on Poch's teams have capitulated or lost their heads.
Ajax are a bigger club than Spurs, in every way.

Please.

I love Ten Hag and would prefer him to Poch but come on Ajax is one of the biggest, most successful, well run clubs in Europe and have been for the last 40 years.

The only reason Spurs are even mentioned is because of Poch, the only reason Perez and the super league invited them is because of Poch.

The fact that you even consider Spurs to be in the same sentence as Ajax is credit to Poch.

Both managers are brilliant and would undoubtedly improve us.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Browsing the PSG forums and Ajax forums. Stark differences.

The Paris faithful don't rate Poch a great deal, although they are concerned with Leonardo taking on coaching duties potentially.

Ajax forums - they clearly think Ten Hag is the real deal, but see him going to Germany. Think it will take a year for players to buy-in to his system. They think he doesn't suit the necessary media appearances for the United manager.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Exactly! Let’s do it properly and hear their plans of how they would turn this season around, plans for the future, which young players they would earmark as future stars, how much they would need to spend, which players are out, what they’d do with Pogba, what staff they want, etc rather than just employing someone they wanted a few years ago
Absolutely! Great idea guys.

We just pick up the phone and ask Van der Sar and Leonardo if the can release ETH and Poch a couple of days so we can see who has the best ideas. When we're on it we can also ask for a small rebate for the release clause. What could possible go wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies.