g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Ajax are a tiny club ffs. Everytime the pressure has been on Poch's teams have capitulated or lost their heads.
"Every time". So the pressure wasn't on in the Champions League semi-final? Or the Quarter-final against Man City? Spurs are also tiny in the context of Europe's elite, just to get into the Champions League is a massive success given the clubs they're competing against. Imagine if Glaston had come on here 10 years ago and said that Spurs would become Champions League regulars, compete for the PL and get to a Champions League final. The number of :lol: would have broke the forum.

MDFC Manager

I don't think that's a sustainable plan year on year. Not that I'm doubting it.
True. But they've probably already lined up Zidane, so makes it easier.

I don't know.. most of these hire and fire type of clubs seem to be actually doing well, or at least better than us.

chiz2kul

Saw on reddit that Steve Bruce is being considered. Absolute scenes if that is true

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Ajax are a tiny club ffs. Everytime the pressure has been on Poch's teams have capitulated or lost their heads.
They're not a tiny club at all. They're smaller than United are for sure but then most clubs are (apart from on the pitch at the moment.). You just don't want their manager because everyone calls him ETH :lol:

hurricane thunderclap

Let what go?
That's a very simplistic way of looking at football. But if we are stripping it down to that level of basic football. Most managers have a preferred style of play or a style that they are best at coaching. You want to hire a manager who most suits the style of your top star and highest earner which is Ronaldo. That isn't pressing, so why would we hire a manager who preference is to play that style of football.
Again , because you and others keep talking about managers coming to the club with a pressing game and Ronaldo not being able or required in their preferred style.
All that would be fine my friend if that was their style and,it was the case in the way they choose to play their strikers. The tiny problem is , they don't play that way at all.

MDFC Manager

They're not a tiny club at all. They're smaller than United are for sure but then most clubs are (apart from on the pitch at the moment.). You just don't want their manager because everyone calls him ETH :lol:
That bolded bit.. Stings :(

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Saw on reddit that Steve Bruce is being considered. Absolute scenes if that is true
Steve Bruce is interested in the interim job according to Andy Mitten and the Athletic. I haven't seen any reports that say United are considering him.

BristolRuss

Why would Pochs want to leave PSG? This is a genuine question
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59372826

The BBC has a pretty good article on it. Basically a few reasons: his family are still in the UK; he's not really the manager there are Leonardo makes all the footballing decisions like signings etc; he feels the club aren't really sure about him long term and would prefer Zidane; and also that the squad is quite imbalanced.

Corridor of Uncertainty

If Poch does join the club, he'll almost certainly be bringing in Miguel D’Agostino (first-team coach), Jesus Pérez (performance) and Toni Jimenez (goalkeeper coach) with him.

All three have been with him at Espanyol, Southampton, Spurs and PSG.

Sorry Carkennelan, no room for you anymore.

KingCavani

We fecked up with Conte, if we feck up with Poch who is apparently readily available now, this would an unmitigated disaster. We can't waste this entire season waiting for the opportunity (not even the guarantee) of signing Ten Hag who will be quite the risk himself. What if Ten Hag fails here anyway? That will be two wasted seasons. If Poch fails, we can look for another manager afterwards no problem. But we have to be proactive. This club should start acting as a club rather than a business joke.
Completely agreed. I meant deserved Ole there btw.

Ten Hag could be a great option but Ajax coaches have often proven to be disastrous outside their setup. He has a very defined role at that club and it would be a big change to what he’s used to at United in so many ways. If we were going for Ten Hag then you’d want to bring a lot more of the Ajax staff with you.

Poch is a fantastic manager. Going from the least qualified manager in the league to a guy who’s record in England is nothing but overachievement will be a stark difference. I cannot comprehend how our fans could be seriously annoyed by this appointment. Just screams entitlement.

redIndianDevil

While I'm concerned about Poch not making PSG look like a well drilled team, he is a good enough manager. He can at least lay the foundation with some decent coaching.

Sviken

If Poch does join the club, he'll almost certainly be bringing in Miguel D’Agostino (first-team coach), Jesus Pérez (performance) and Toni Jimenez (goalkeeper coach) with him.

All three have been with him at Espanyol, Southampton, Spurs and PSG.

Sorry Carkennelan, no room for you anymore.
There isn't a top manager that wouldn't bring his staff before accepting a job. The nonsense of McCarrick is over regardless.

hurricane thunderclap

can we play that game though with our current squad. Ronaldo doesn't press, our midfield isn't comfortable in possession. It might be why these managers would prefer to come in next season, so they can add a couple of players to more suit their preferred style of play
Again with this 'pressing' obsession. As if Ronaldo pressing is better than the world's top scorer being fed. Please don't say we need to play a pressing game for that to happen.

Gazautd18

Honestly the reaction of some our fans, sticking their noses up at Conte and now Pochettino is pretty embarrassing. The sort of mentality that deserves Ole.

During his time at Spurs he was as good as anyone in European football - That is not an exaggeration. People really don't appreciate how much he overachieved.

The net spend was higher at fecking Stoke. Poch himself had a higher net spend at Southampton, at least he did before the final window. Six clubs consistently spent significantly more than they did and yet he built a team almost from scratch that could mix with all of them. Go look at the line-up from his first game in charge if you need some perspective on that.

He transformed a basket case of a club into a solidified CL team. Ues things got stale towards the at the end and having eyes on the Utd job probably contributed to that but the work he did there was incredible.

He’s an excellent manager and even more he’s wanted to come here for years. The fact that he’s willing to walk away from a CL contender speaks volumes to how he views this job. He obviously sees something here that he thinks will work. The board need to do whatever it takes to get him in ASAP.
Great post.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
All these stories about poch ready to leave mid season, are any credible?

I would prefer ETH but would be very happy with poch too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ajax have a modest budget - but they are not a small club. They are one of the most respected football institutions on planet earth ffs.
They don't even have a modest budget, they are borderline top 20 in the world which is pretty high.

El Zoido

Would be great if a journalist could ask the heirarchy what they mean by the united way
Honestly it just means attacking/exciting football. Too much stock is put in that phrase, it’s about setting up to win and not setting up not to lose. And yeah you can argue about Ole’s negative big game tactics all day, but just like Barcelona aren’t going to hire Jose Mourinho, we all should play the football fans expect. And it’s still a results game, so all the swashbuckling football in the world falls by the wayside if you’re not competing.

Hester_manc

I would be concerned about Erik Ten Hag, who only has tried to be a manager in the Netherlands and for Bayern München`s second team. Meeting teams like PSV, Herenveen or Utrecht is not the same as playing against Chelsea, Tottenham or City. In the Netherlands, he is the manager of the clearly best team and meets teams that are significantly inferior almost every weekend. That does not happen in PL. I know he has done well in the CL, but it was only 1 season and a shorter tournament.

Wilt

Honestly the reaction of some our fans, sticking their noses up at Conte and now Pochettino is pretty embarrassing. The sort of mentality that deserves Ole.

During his time at Spurs he was as good as anyone in European football - That is not an exaggeration. People really don't appreciate how much he overachieved.

The net spend was higher at fecking Stoke. Poch himself had a higher net spend at Southampton, at least he did before the final window. Six clubs consistently spent significantly more than they did and yet he built a team almost from scratch that could mix with all of them. Go look at the line-up from his first game in charge if you need some perspective on that.

He transformed a basket case of a club into a solidified CL team. Ues things got stale towards the at the end and having eyes on the Utd job probably contributed to that but the work he did there was incredible.

He’s an excellent manager and even more he’s wanted to come here for years. The fact that he’s willing to walk away from a CL contender speaks volumes to how he views this job. He obviously sees something here that he thinks will work. The board need to do whatever it takes to get him in ASAP.
Sound post ….deserves merit

hurricane thunderclap

I would be concerned about Erik Ten Hag, who only has tried to be a manager in the Netherlands and for Bayern München`s second team. Meeting teams like PSV, Herenveen or Utrecht is not the same as playing against Chelsea, Tottenham or City. In the Netherlands, he is the manager of the clearly best team and meets teams that are significantly inferior almost every weekend. That does not happen in PL. I know he has done well in the CL, but it was only 1 season and a shorter tournament.
Molde and Cardiff were of a much higher standard , experience and with outstanding European victories to their name.

dove

Poch would be a safer option than Ten Hag and if we believe the reports that he is quite desperate to join us, it's just a matter of time until he does IMO. The underrating of him here is quite something. Yea, Spurs "bottled" a few times but to even be in the position to bottle it, he deserves a massive credit for that. That Spurs side was average and he made them look much better than they actually were. I am not saying he is the best option we can get and it's fine if you prefer Ten Hag but Poch would still be one of the best managers we can get.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He only coached Spurs’ u18s for one season during Pochettino’s time there, but McKenna might have shown enough for Pochettino to rate him and keep him onboard should he take over here, who knows?

Pochettino has his own coaching team who will follow him without question, but could he benefit from a) keeping someone on the ticket who is already at United and knows the club well at this stage, and b) someone whom he’s worked with before and/or knows through his previous experience?

McKenna fits the bill on both counts and may well be someone Pochettino wants to keep around in some sort of capacity. His reputation has been damaged with the leaked reports of coaching standards recently but there’s obviously a talented coach there to get to this level at a relatively young age. I wouldn’t be discarding him just yet. Phelan has to go before McKenna, IMO.

macheda14

I think this is people's biggest hang up, how massive the drop off in performance was towards the end, but that can be explained quite easily. His style of football is incredibly high energy. He quite consistently had the highest running teams in the league. 5 years without being able to refresh his squad much and as a result an aging squad who were just completely drained resulted in them being unable to keep that level of intensity up.

There are some major criticisms in terms of his recruitment. He supposedly was offered Tielemens and he actively chose Lo Celso over Bruno.

However in terms of the style Poch plays and the system he usually uses we have a squad for him to manage. The only issue is Ronaldo not being a pressing forward, but I think Poch has a much better chance to be able to solve that issue than Ole.

For me Ten Hag seems like the sexier choice, but I do not think for one second we should be upset if we do get Poch. Anyway if he fails what's another 3 years of pain. We are used to it now.

largelyworried

Would be great if a journalist could ask the heirarchy what they mean by the united way
Y'know, late combacks, May 99, Giggsy, great balls into the box, pride in the shirt. There's an entire chapter about it in the UEFA A License technical manual.

diarm

Tuchel left PSG in 3rd position mid season though. Very unfair to judge him.
And Tuchel was sacked for his performance there.

Poch took over with PSG a point behind and 21 games left. Let's not pretend he was left some insurmountable challenge.

I'm a beautiful thing

People talk about Poch not winning anything with Spurs almost as if they are perennial trophy winners instead of a team that basically win nothing.
I think he will be ok

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I almost like the fact people are underrating Poch on here. Means our rivals would also think similarly and we might get a decent jump on them.

If Tuchel can do what he did with Chelsea, Poch can definitely get us top 4 and a cup. Also, be had a badass cape, if I remember correctly, so that's a plus as well.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The talk of Lopetegui isn't all too exciting. Looking at his stats, his club football record seems quite minimal, and his one stint at an elite club was brief and unsuccessful. I know Madrid had a lot of issues at that point, but so do we, perhaps worse.

If we're going to go after a coach with relatively limited experience, I'd rather it was someone whose career was clearly on the ascendency, which pretty much narrows it down to Ten Hag.

Though I'd be pretty happy with Pochettino as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.