Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
McClaren? Do we ever learn

Could bring back Ole as well to tell ETH about United DNA
ten Hag wants McClaren as his number two according to the Guardian. He agreed with the club on bringing him in. We should trust the new manager and let him put his staff together.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I don't know much about Ten Hag, can he get us challenging again? Probably unlikely to challenge pep and Klopp, but is 3rd achievable next season?

AndySmith1990

I hope he doesn't bring in a load of the Ajax players, they're not good enough
They constantly get further in Europe than our players. Either Ajax players are actually pretty good or Ten Hag is a genius on par with Ferguson

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It is a huge job still and a lot of work to be done. It could well take 5 years to get us back challenging realistically

Wonder if some fans will be that patient though

cfkane

The fans would be out with #ETHout tweets by March of year one....
you are probably right. We are a spoiled bunch.Many say “I just want to see United style attacking football” but what they really mean is I want a Tardis so I can relive 1999.

Flexdegea

We've never come anywhere close to 1st place in any of that time. City, and now Liverpool. are so far ahead of us. Our squad will see wholesale changes in the next couple years. We'll likely miss out on CL football and therefore our budget will be smaller. To suggest that we could rebuild the squad to a point where it's capable of achieving 95-100 points in merely two seasons, given the current state of the squad, is ridiculous in my opinion, and all it does is set unreasonable expectations that can then be used to cause unrest further down the line.

As far as I'm concerned all we should be expecting in the next couple seasons is clear progress. The same way we seen clear progress when Klopp took over Liverpool and finished 7th, but they were playing some fantastic football regardless. If fans on the whole aren't prepared to get behind the plan long-term, then we may as well not bother at all quite frankly. There are NO quick fixes for this club, too much damage has been done for that.

Nah lad, Amadeus reckons a top manager be in there and wining trophies in couple years, even when his beloved Poch wasn't even able to do the same, with a fall better team than what we have, but wins the net spend trophy.

Mad any one even sharing the Delaney 5 year plan when he literally said wrote that post about Poch and hag doubts and hour later Hag seemingly getting the job.

Baffling why anyone be using him for a source

Magical Manchester United

5 years:

year one, improved playing style, cut the deadwood, young hungry players that can be coached to greatness. OK if we miss out on Europe altogether as long as a clear path can be seen.

year two: progress. Perhaps Europa League qualification, good domestic cup runs, continue to recruit the right players.

Year three: deep cup run, top 4, maybe get a talented veteran player to supplement the squad, integrating young talent from the reserves/Academy.

year four top 3, domestic cup win, deep CL run.

year 5, title challenge CL final, domestic cup wins.
I could live with this if you told me this would happen under ETH.
It confuses me when people talk like this. We have a team of mostly World Class players. If they performed at the level they are capable of we'd have been title challengers this season. We finished 2nd last season and made a Europa final with a less good squad.

Leicester went from marrowly avoiding relegation to winning the title in a season. Chelsea went from 10th to the title in a season with one good appointment.

Yet we're talking about "maybe qualify for the Europa League in Ten Hag's second season"

clarkydaz

would be nice having a load of dutch arrogance in the dugout. They can leak to the press how shit the players are

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't know much about Ten Hag, can he get us challenging again? Probably unlikely to challenge pep and Klopp, but is 3rd achievable next season?
He could either get us challenging against Pep and Klopp or he can't. It's honestly going to be down to whether or not our senior management are still a bunch of morons or not, and how the players react to being told that they're a bunch of workshy cnuts.

He's a top class coach who is in his prime. If we can't at least have strong performances and plenty of nights where we don't tear our faces off in despair under his tutelage then there's no hope.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ten Hag's first season is dependent on our summer transfer window. Remember, this squad finished second and reached the EL final less than 12 months ago.

A few good signings, the right signings for Ten Hag, could see this side challenging for the top three places without much trouble.

cfkane

It is a huge job still and a lot of work to be done. It could well take 5 years to get us back challenging realistically

Wonder if some fans will be that patient though
I don’t think the people thinking 3 years is enough realize just how far off we are. As long as Klop and pep are in league it will take longer to get to their level with the massive rebuild needed. Sure, if we could trim the squad by 7-8 players and bring in 7-8 players this summer it could happen, but we all know it will only be 3-4 incoming this summer.

tjb

Higginbotham has nailed that to be fair.
I like him as a pundit, but I don't agree with him.

It's way too easy to just attack the club due to how poor we have been run over the last few years. However, I truly believe that we have tried to change things in the last few years and have been really open to and have modernized in certain aspects. Woodward is no longer at the club, which might make a far bigger difference than is being made out. I also don't think the club were wrong for going for the players we did in the last window or allowing Pogba and the cast of misfits leave this summer. One could make the argument that our change in policy led to some harsh realities being learnt. The club made the right decision in sacking Ole, waited till the end of the season and now we are hiring the manager we actually want, something we never did prior. We didn't just go and sign a popular name who has been established in a big league or a rookie manager with no experience at anything near top level, instead we hired a manager who has implement modern tactics successfully in the last few years. That's a massive change of approach. I don't think you can lump Murtough and Arnold with Woodward regime.

Our issue was that we had a successful manager and didn't try to modernize for years due to his reach. We then hired a poor CEO who always seemed to get himself in the spotlight, cared too much about his image and deferred to easily to some of our managers. This deterrence taught us that a lot of managers were completely useless if given the level of power Fergie had. After their failures, those managers called it "lack of support", but in reality the managers simply didn't have the capacity to see the bigger picture in terms of their club, willing to spend stupid amounts of money on duds. We have learnt from those mistakes with Arnold choosing to stay out of the football side of things and barely being a public figure like Woodward was, we have a system that we are still shaping to suit our club and we have the finances and appeal to let players go and bring in new players. We should be a lot more optimistic that in recent years. The Glazers are relatively silent owners and will allow the club go in the direction the CEO sees fit. We no longer need to hope that Woodward does the right thing anymore....that's a big win

AnotherLondonManc

Am I alone in having been really excited about ETH, and the closer we get to signing him, the more uncertain I become...

I've just been hurt too often at this point.

I'm sure we'll see a porch brigade when he is signed just so they can tell everyone 'i told you so' if this doesn't work out

Blood Mage

So..if tuchel becomes available..does he still become the number 1? He is underperforming in the league(after spending so much and wasted 90 on lukaku) and now real Madrid is having them for breakfast. A team that psg made look average last round.
I think he would definitely have been our first choice if the club felt he could be lured from Chelsea but he seems to want to stay there.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He could either get us challenging against Pep and Klopp or he can't. It's honestly going to be down to whether or not our senior management are still a bunch of morons or not, and how the players react to being told that they're a bunch of workshy cnuts.

He's a top class coach who is in his prime. If we can't at least have strong performances and plenty of nights where we don't tear our faces off in despair under his tutelage then there's no hope.
Sounds promising!

tjb

Jose kept on about knowing how to win, yet brought in quite non Jose players.

He's big on dominant centre backs, yet in Bailly and Lindelof brought in 2 with very little aerial dominance.
And Lukaku who is the size of a target man, but nothing like one.

The whole thing was like an exercise in we need to employ Jose just to scratch that itch finally.

I feared we'd do the same with Poch, but the early noises sound positive on the high ceiling Ten Hag.

Obviously it can still very much not work, but it feels like the first time we've looked at a guy doing well at a strong European history club, yet to come to his peak.
Jose got exposed as a manager that needs to be regulated. All those transfer successes that the media praised him for over the years were proven to be false. With LVG and Jose we hired managers that failed to see past themselves and their legacies. Yes they were right about their squads , but they didn't care enough to make it work in a way that would benefit the club. They were responsible for so many poor and expensive transfers, yet complained so much about not getting the precise fit they needed. That's not on the club. You can't buy Bailly and Lindelof then say that one of the reasons you failed was that you didn't get a Centre back you wanted.

hobbers

There's talk of RVP being given a role too.
Yeh and/or Rene.

Any of the four names bandied about would be good. Mclaren and Rene both know what it's like to be assistant manager at the club during a period it was one of the best teams in Europe. Stam and RVP are both intelligent, professional and were world class in their day.

Rojofiam

Am I alone in having been really excited about ETH, and the closer we get to signing him, the more uncertain I become...

I'm sure we'll see a porch brigade when he is signed just so they can tell everyone 'i told you so' if this doesn't work out

You'll be excited again after reading this

Jezpeza

the poch brigade are crying right now for sure. They will be willing him to fail just so they can say told you so. Its a big job for him to sort this mess but we have a decent batch of youngsters and he is promising tactically. Poch has a very clear style etc but spurs were never ‘wow’under him and he is proven at getting bested in tactical showpieces in the cups and against the better sides in the league. Glad we have avoided him tbh.

::sonny::

They will not give him a budget to spend, maximum 3 new signings + huge contract extensions

I know the future already

Status
Not open for further replies.