Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

justboy68

Happy with the appointment. Hoping to see some good attacking, possession based football in the coming years. People will need to be patient though, more than some on here have been with Rangnick. There could be some tough times at first.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Congratulations, United

I’m sure ETH will be the right person, since he will build a system, support kids in academy and his tactics will bring trophies to United (probably the mix between Pep and Klopp imo).

It’s very similar when my team got Klopp.

croadyman

This looks a promising move by the club and management.

Usually we sign managers who has reached their potential somewhere and see out but ETH is not in that category. If the fans lower their expectations and give him time, it will turn out well this time.

I’m optimistic.
Yeah our first post Fergie appointment that is neither handpicked by him or a proven winner albeit past their prime.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Sounds like we are getting close to finally making a decision.

While I don't know a massive amount about him, I do feel optimistic about him. Sounds like someone who has a clear strategy on how he wants his team to play, along with attention to details.

The real test however will be how the club go about shifting and changing the squad to meet his expectation. They need to back him, which includes cutting any players, even if it means taking a lose on them, that he doesn't believe will perform in his system.

Drainy

I hate that in modern football people act like Ajax are a small club :lol:

Ffs they are one of the most historic and prestigious football clubs in the world!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How the heck would he walk into an even bigger job after not pulling up trees where he is?
They won't keep Ancelotti after this season despite their league position or how they do in the Champions League. They've been looking at Poch for ages, if Raul doesn't get it, it will be Poch.

Daniel_M7

Seconded. The plastic fraud was begging for Poch in November and now he's acting like he never wanted him. Such a prat.
If you listen to him you that is simply not true. He, like many other United fans wanted Poch since we thougt he would be avaiable. Ever since we knew he wouldn’t be that Goldbridge has been all over Ten Hag and he isnt denying anything of that, wanting Poch first and ten Hag later.

IRELANDUNITED

Now let’s finish 8th or 9th so he has no europa distraction next season and can fully focus on the league

cfkane

If you listen to him you that is simply not true. He, like many other United fans wanted Poch since we thougt he would be avaiable. Ever since we knew he wouldn’t be that Goldbridge has been all over Ten Hag and he isnt denying anything of that, wanting Poch first and ten Hag later.
Goldbridge can be a prat, but this is true. He wanted Poch in the winter because everyone thought it would be a permanant hire, and it seemed to be between Rogers and Poch and he didn't want Rogers, so backed Poch. When Ralf was hired as interim he was always Ten Hag over Poch for permanant.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Ten Hag wouldn’t be touching the job if he was just somebody’s puppet and he was comfortable with the clubs structure being sold to him. He’s a no nonsense sort of guy and he doesn’t mess around. A man of principle. He’ll certainly be making demands on recruitment, coaching & training, style of play and how the youth sides are run. He has an uncanny eye for talent and getting the best out of his players. He’ll make players better and he’s a tactical wizard. He’s a very impressive manager. I would put him up their with the likes of Klopp & Guardiola.
You have to consider Ajax work with a similar budget to a championship side, yet every year he still managed to go relatively far in Europe with relatively unknown young inexperienced players and Ajax completely dominated the domestic game in his reign at Ajax. He also made a name for himself working at Bayern München and was rumored Munich’s first choice to replace Kovac and Flick, but Ten Hag had made a promise to Ajax to stay at them each time.
One thing that will have persuaded Ten Hag to join United will be the challenge of rebuilding the club and setting it back on its former path of glory. This appointment is great news for United fans, not so for our rivals! There’s a sense we’re finally starting to get the right football structure at the club, similar to what happened when Fergie was appointed. That combined with our considerable financial clout should bode well for the future, now patience is needed.
This is what I think and hope, as well.

Now, I have no idea how the likes of Murtough and Co are able to check their oversized egos and planning to let Ten Hag rule (they certainly haven't done it for RR) but hope to be surprised.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Every team needs experienced players somewhere. Not sure if he can just go with the kids.
Matic is not an experienced player, in this context, he is way past his expiration date to play at top level. Ronaldo may have some juice left in him, on his best day, but not the age / form of the player anybody should be using in a rebuild project.

IRELANDUNITED

Anyone care to offer a guess as to what ten Hag’s starting 11 will be next season? There are so many players here that I doubt he wants but I can’t see the owners giving him a blank chequebook either.

DDG
Dalot Maguire Varane Shaw
Fred Nevas Fernandes
Antony Rashford Sancho

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if it was something like this

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Anyone care to offer a guess as to what ten Hag’s starting 11 will be next season? There are so many players here that I doubt he wants but I can’t see the owners giving him a blank chequebook either.

DDG
Dalot Maguire Varane Shaw
Fred Nevas Fernandes
Antony Rashford Sancho

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if it was something like this
DDG - Think he'll give him a season to improve his distribution

Dalot - No way the club stumps up the cash for a new RB after buying AWB not that long ago, we also won't cut our losses on him to free up the space either.

Maguire and Varane - Both underperformed this season but I think they'd both perform better under a top manager.

Shaw - Has the ability to be a good attacking wing back just needs constantly drilling.

Rice - I think he'll be the marquee signing and he fits perfectly to ETH tactics of having a fluid change between 433 and 523 with the centre back stepping into midfield.

New CM - Although Fred probably deserves a shot after being one of our better performers this season his technical ability will hold him back massively. Beyond Pogba staying we don't have a 2nd CM with technical ability.

Fernandes - Self explanatory when you read the above.

Antony - Right side has been a problem for us and it makes sense he'll want to bring in someone that knows the system to get himself and the player off to a steady start.

Sancho - Perfect player for the system no more touchline hugging, but playing in the half spaces.

Ronaldo - Ten Hag has utilised loads of different styles of striker so he should be able to get the best out of Ronaldo.

3 new signings should be the minimum we expect, obviously should be a lot more but keeping my expectations to a minimum

MalaysianRed7

Halve of there players are a lot better then ours so some of them would be an upgrade.
Antony is far, far better than this season’s Rashford and Elanga based on the handful of games I’ve seen him play in the CL. I’ve never really watched Timber closely as Ajax have been so dominant in the games I’ve watched, making Antony far more noticeable, but he can be no worse than Maguire. Him being 5’10 could be detrimental in the Premier League, but it’s alright as long as his positioning and jumping reach is good.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He certainly isn't qualified to do it, by himself or otherwise
Yes, yes he is.

See below:

Fletcher's not doing the role to assist Murtough in keeping the wheel moving when it comes to keeping the data, scouting, youth and other departments at a optimum level, so having someone experienced to assist Murtough who understands the process would be a welcome help. Fletcher's role in helping parents make a decision to have their child join the club and coaching at youth and now first team level is normal. Rangnick wants him at first team level and the new head coach will probably have his own people. Jason Wilcox who is currently the academy director at City (ex Blackburn) joined them in 2013 straight from a role working in the media.

Murtough has the experience in turning the wheel, because he's the one who has created the departments, which has modernised the club from having one full-time scout and a non existent data analytics department and everything being stored in Jim Lawlor's head. I can provide the references for that as well. So now Murtough has to juggle the first team with everything else he's been doing after the sacking of Solskjaer, from the Women's teams to the youth teams, coaching at youth level, logistics, scouting departments etc. And contrary to what's been written on this forum by certain deluded posters, Murtough was brought to the club by David Moyes who did understand how a recruitment structure worked in the modern game. Moyes also brought scouts to add to the one full time scout we had at United from Fergie's days, but after he (Moyes) was sacked, Man City wasted no time in poaching some of those scouts and James Smith who was a technical Chief scout and brought to United by Moyes was snapped up by City. And they (City) could do this to us along with enticing several of our youth players to jump ship to their club, because we didn't have the mechanisms and processes in place, which meant we couldn't provide the tools for recruitment staff to do their job at a optimal level and provide the facilities for the youngsters. City were taking advantage of this, Murtough came in to provide the tools and revamp the youth academy to stop this. And he's done a good job where if you just look at the youth teams, then we have interesting prospects in every single position, from the GK Vitek, fullbacks Fernandez, Laird, Williams, Pye, midfielders, Hannibal, Mainoo, Hansen Aaroen, wide forwards, Elanga, Garnacho, Chong and centre forwards McNeill, Hugill and many more that I haven't even mentioned. He's also turned the tables on City where we've poached 4 or 5 of their scouts, including head of youth recruitment David Harrison and their lead youth scout Stephen Ajewole, who was regarded as the best in class along with David Harrison's team.

And as far as Mitchell is concerned, I haven't seen anything that he's done thus far in his career that would make me sit-up and take notice. Even the list of players he's signed as a scout/head of recruitment have been a mixed bag. There's obviously some good players in the list, but also some really poor signings that were huge flops. And he's been at Monaco as DoF coming up to 2 years soon and I'm not seeing a noticeable improvement in their team. And even their biggest talent, Tchouameni was signed before Mitchell arrived at the club. I'd be happy if Mitchell arrived but I'd also be equally happy if we appointed someone else who has the experience of making sure the departments on the football side are functioning at a optimal level.

Below are links to some of the stuff I've mentioned about City poaching a prominent Scout after Moyes's sacking. How Moyes inherited a out dated recruitment structure with everything stored in Lawlor's head, and a detailed article from 2013, which sheds light on Moyes and his approach to technology/data science, when it came to recruiting players. And that approach went as far back as when he was managing Preston. Moyes wasn't a elite head coach but his knowledge on the modern day recruitment structure was elite, hence he approached John Murtough who was the Head of Elite development at the Premier League to restructure United's out dated recruitment structure. This is why I say to certain posters, 'tell me what the structure is' and they then go on the defensive and accuse me of patronising them.

All a DoF model is, is that it provides a buffer between the board and first team head coach. The head coach gets sacked and it should be the DoF backed by several recruitment departments working under him who provide the stability and continuity. The board can't do this and the first team manager just can't juggle 20-25 departments and also conduct training sessions in preparation for match days. And then if he gets sacked, you're in a position where the board has to make decisions unless you have a up to date recruitment department, which we didn't have until 2018. Everything was left to Fergie in the past and even though he kept winning titles, structurally we had fallen way behind many many clubs.

Moyes and his approach to backing up his scouts with technology data.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...em-that-reveals-david-moyes-mind-8756011.html

City poach James Smith from United after the sacking of Moyes.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...s-United-scout-s-European-talent-spotter.html

Moyes overhauls the recruitment structure after it was discovered everything was stored in Lawlor's head.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...vid-moyes-overhauls-manchester-united-6751601

From the above article: "It is understood that when he arrived at United, his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson’s system and research wasn’t as detailed and the key information was allegedly in chief scout Jim Lawlor’s head rather than an easily accessible database for the backroom staff".

wolvored

That one remains to be seen. Contrary to recent revisionism attempts he was already very involved in the last 3 years. One has to either believe he was a genius being overruled by buffoons or he was just showing up to work to sit at a desk and wait for closing time. In the case of the latter I don't know how it can be spun in his favour that he was getting marginalized in a structure where everyone else was new at their job. He wouldn't suddenly be more influential in relation to the new manager if he was getting marginalised in the fist place. Some of the theories on here about how he could have played no part in the last 3 years have nonsense written all over them.
You had Woodward with the final say to run it past the glazers. He was such a control freak it wouldn't matter what anyone else said. Now Murtough is the last football man as Arnold has already stated he is keeping out of the running of the football side. Lets give Murtough the benefit of the doubt and see where we go from the end of the season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You have to remember that our close means we began the talk. Awaiting paperworks means we have thrown the first bid. Only medical remains means we havent agreed on the terms. Then there is this 2-3 months period of nothingness, this is when the paperworks are actually being processed. Add another 2 months for terms being agreed then we move on to medical. And he will probably fail it due to alcohol in his pee.

TheRedHearted

Yes if McFred and if it is still the same dross I will.
I would rather see Fred and matic any day of the week or a cb played out of position in a dm position or when matic gets subbed off switching him with a cb and going three at the back. Would literally have a double pivot of Shaw and matic then see mcfred.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Now let’s finish 8th or 9th so he has no europa distraction next season and can fully focus on the league
Or try our best to try and get UCL?
Actually, the Europa league could be a blessing and chance to blood some of our talented young players
It also effects coefficients, if i remember rightly there are rule changes coming soon where I think its two teams of the highest coefficient who didn't qualify for the UCL qualify too. Hoping someone can confirm?

Unfortunately this is a back door we need, and we lose our europa league points soon so need to perform in Europe.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I am not gonna hype up anything anymore now. Jose and later Ronaldo, Sancho & Varane broke me. Its like whenever I have high hopes the only way its gonna play out is everything comes crashing down in the most ridiculous way possible.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Erik Ten Hag seems like a manager that won't give a crap about a players age; using young players that fit his tactics and mindset.

I hope we start using Carabao cups more for this and even FA Cups because we need to reach out of those trophies long term.

ForeverRed1

DDG - Think he'll give him a season to improve his distribution

Dalot - No way the club stumps up the cash for a new RB after buying AWB not that long ago, we also won't cut our losses on him to free up the space either.

Maguire and Varane - Both underperformed this season but I think they'd both perform better under a top manager.

Shaw - Has the ability to be a good attacking wing back just needs constantly drilling.

Rice - I think he'll be the marquee signing and he fits perfectly to ETH tactics of having a fluid change between 433 and 523 with the centre back stepping into midfield.

New CM - Although Fred probably deserves a shot after being one of our better performers this season his technical ability will hold him back massively. Beyond Pogba staying we don't have a 2nd CM with technical ability.

Fernandes - Self explanatory when you read the above.

Antony - Right side has been a problem for us and it makes sense he'll want to bring in someone that knows the system to get himself and the player off to a steady start.

Sancho - Perfect player for the system no more touchline hugging, but playing in the half spaces.

Ronaldo - Ten Hag has utilised loads of different styles of striker so he should be able to get the best out of Ronaldo.

3 new signings should be the minimum we expect, obviously should be a lot more but keeping my expectations to a minimum
We are defo buying a striker. We will be priced out of a rice move but will get a DM. Agree with antony and maybe a centre back will come. Neves being heavily linked today. Wouldn’t be shocked if a right back came in aswell.

i don’t think they go massive on any individual this summer. Losing so many players. They want numbers and also less ego. They will be thinking about building a squad over the next couple years. I think ETH will go more for certain types of players. If they go expensive and experienced my bet would be on a striker.

what about Nunez, tielemans, nevez, Antony and timber. VdB, Garner and laird come into the squad.. hannibal might get his chance under ETH aswell. That’s costing 200mil(ish). Rice alone would cost 120-150.

we will lose pogba, Cavani, matic, mata, Jones, lingard, martial and henderson. Might even be a shocker In there like rashford or Maguire. Going to be a really interesting summer for us!

Last edited:

led_scholes

Actually, the Europa league could be a blessing and chance to blood some of our talented young players
There is now way we are winning the league next year, unless a small miracle can happen. I even want to go for Conference, if not Europa.

Greck

You had Woodward with the final say to run it past the glazers. He was such a control freak it wouldn't matter what anyone else said. Now Murtough is the last football man as Arnold has already stated he is keeping out of the running of the football side. Lets give Murtough the benefit of the doubt and see where we go from the end of the season.
Woodward was definitely an idiot but he had a team. Contrary to what people now want to say it wasn't just Ole and Woodward shutting everyone up while they made decisions. When he vetoed Jose in his interview he expressly said it was decided on by the experts within the club. When Maguire and AWB still looked decent he said it was the restructured football side. Even as an egomaniac he always always said he consulted with the staff, the same ones people are now hyping to high heaven. Like they weren't already part of the failed regime. The funny thing about putting it all on Woodward and Ole is that the hirings of everyone who are still here were influenced by them if not entirely by them and for them. It's almost like people are reading the PR articles from the summer of 2020 and pretending they are fresh. Restructuring efforts like the famed transfer committe and new technical director role for instance are nothing new nor are they anything special. There was nothing particularly deep about the process. We just wanted more United DNA. Ancient article from 2 years ago. The source is irrelevant because we now know who our technical director is.
Manchester United are reportedly tempted to assemble a transfer committee made up by three former players to help identify new targets. The Red Devils have been on the lookout for a new technical director for a number of months to lead their search for recruits.

Rio Ferdinand and Darren Fletcher are two ex-United players to have been strongly tipped to take up the newly-created position and, according to The Sun, both men could yet be appointed.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footba...mble-three-man-transfer-committee_360091.html
On a side note next time people diss Rio they should know he could have been our technical director in the same vain Fletcher was appointed. I'm sorry there's nothing new about what we see today. We haven't turned any new leaf. For the most part it's the same structure Woodward built for his convenience. I'm not even surprised he is on his way out and we're still seeing those premature contract renewals that characterized his time here. A number of Woodward's decisions were on the advise of the actors at the club today. It's so lazy to put everything on him and Ole. We need to hold the entire structure accountable or hold no one accountable. No time for favourites.

Last edited:

Real Name

Here's your daily reminder the great minds running the club went and renewed his deal weeks into Ole's sack form when it should have been obvious not to. Woodward's legacy in safe hands. This club throws away money for fun. We have a lot of it so stupid decisions like this just get swept under the rug. We're run like your typical Government administration except of a 3rd world country where they don't have to hide borderline illiterate decisions.
All true but appointing Ten Hag is a good decision, right?

dutchred

I think he will have a good look at Laird. His style is very similar to what Ten Haag likes. Timber could come in as cover for both right back and centre half. He and Lindelof will fight it out to play alongside Varanne. Antony on the right wing. Mac will go so he needs a DCM. Fred and Garner will compete for the 8 spot. I can see Carreras displacing Shaw with Telles as back up. Mejbri and Shoretire will be back up for Fernandes.
Haller is not very mobile and pressing so I think he will use Ronaldo but will need a good back up. Sancho on the left. Elanga and Garnacho as back up to Sancho and Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.