Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would've been so easy for United to go down the Poch path.

With Poch at the helm, you could argue that only minor changes would've been done with the squad and the general direction of the club.

United deserve credit for going against the grain and not going for the more familiar and, potentially, comfortable route of appointing Poch.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I dont know Ten Haag, but how well do the people making the decisions know Ten Haag, that is my point. Most fans wont have even seen an Ajax match or followed his progress in any great detail - I'll be honest with you I haven't, so why is he the overwhelming choice - social media is your answer I'm afraid. I hope he does really well and he has my full support.
The person making the decision was reported to be John Murtough. And how well did he potentially know the credentials of Erik ten Hag? The answer to that is very simple without me even pointing to Edwin van der Sar or Steve McClaren. And that is due to Murtough having people working under him in senior recruitment roles who know Ajax very well and also know the coaching philosophy that Erik ten Hag wants to implement. And those people are Henny de Regt (was at Ajax for 18 years) and Marcel Bout (former assistant to Jupp Heynckes) who are both Dutch and are well versed in the positional play principles. And I predicted Murtough would go this direction and appoint ten Hag due to the above reasons. When you have people with such experience working with you then it's sensible to tap into their expertise on the subject.

We can't predict the future mate and we can't say for sure if any coach will go on to be a success. But I've always believed that Manchester United should always hire a coach who looks to implement a proactive, attacking brand of football with the aim of playing in the opponents half. And this is the first time we've done that since Fergie retired, and the appointment also meshes well with the modern game when it comes to applying the counter press.

So the difference between ten Hag and Pochettino is ideology. EtH wants to dominate the ball via positional play to exert zonal, positional and numerical superiority in a vertical axis, with the counter press as the secondary weapon, which is to attempt to win the ball back immediately after losing it.

Pochettino on the other hand places heavy emphasis on verticality and the counter press to win the ball back quickly high up the pitch to then counter attack the opponent. His teams on the ball aren't as well coached in comparison to ten Hag who places a heavy emphasis on positional play on the ball and positional play without the ball. Pochettino places heavy emphasis on positional play without the ball.

So for me ten Hag's ideals are superior and potentially more entertaining and it was the correct decision by the club because attacking football won.

Infra-red

I am really looking forward to seeing who ETH sells off this summer. Can’t wait to see the back of the majority of these players.
A lot of them will ultimately be consigned to the dustbin, but it probably won't be a quick process. Many of them are on ludicrous contracts that no other club would consider paying (eg Martial @ £250k per week) - those players will not be easy to move on. We also need to replace them and that too will be more difficult given the decline in the club's financial position relative to its rivals and the fact that we won't have Champions League football to offer.

I think we're looking at a squad overhaul that will take at least four transfer windows to complete. Patience is going to be key here.

Hughes35

Very exciting to see we might have gone with Ten Hag. I can't wait for him to be announced and start with the club.

Hopefully when we have an agreement in principal, he can give the board his shopping list and they can start to get some signings done early...... Too much for us to ask that we would be so organised and pro active?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Erik ten Hag is anything but a safe bet, he's a big risk and a bigger one than Pochettino, at least in my view. But he's the kind of risk I've been wanting us to take for years. A coveted manager whose teams are still playing their best football, is still relatively early on in his career and has won trophies. For all the bad choices we've made over the last decade, this choice feels very exciting to me and a fresh start we've been craving for a long, long time.

Jackal981

I am really looking forward to seeing who ETH sells off this summer. Can’t wait to see the back of the majority of these players.
Think AWB career is doomed. He wont waste his time with such a limited wingback. All of ETH teams past these years had one in common, they attack through their wingbacks

Rolaholic

I'm just glad we got thus done relatively early.

I feared that if we had left it until the end of the season, a club like Bayern may have made a last minute play for ETH and we'd be kicking ourselves for squandering the chance.

Possibly exciting times ahead after finally getting in a manager in the ascendancy rather than on the downtrod/twilight of their careers.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
A lot of them will ultimately be consigned to the dustbin, but it probably won't be a quick process. Many of them are on ludicrous contracts that no other club would consider paying (eg Martial @ £250k per week) - those players will not be easy to move on. We also need to replace them and that too will be more difficult given the decline in the club's financial position relative to its rivals and the fact that we won't have Champions League football to offer.

I think we're looking at a squad overhaul that will take at least four transfer windows to complete. Patience is going to be key here.
Agreed but at the very least we will see the departures of 5 players who’s contracts are running out/terminated - Lingard, Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Greenwood.

Ideally we see another 4 or 5 being sold for various reasons - Martial, Matic, Bailly, Jones, Henderson (?) etc.

That in itself would be a good start to the clearout although I’m hoping we can somehow get rid of Maguire as well.

Real Name

Would've been so easy for United to go down the Poch path.

With Poch at the helm, you could argue that only minor changes would've been done with the squad and the general direction of the club.

United deserve credit for going against the grain and not going for the more familiar and, potentially, comfortable route of appointing Poch.
Getting Poch would be a lazy move, glad we didn't do it.

Fts 74

Erik ten Hag is anything but a safe bet, he's a big risk and a bigger one than Pochettino, at least in my view. But he's the kind of risk I've been wanting us to take for years. A coveted manager whose teams are still playing their best football, is still relatively early on in his career and has won trophies. For all the bad choices we've made over the last decade, this choice feels very exciting to me and a fresh start we've been craving for a long, long time.
100%

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I agree but we had to try something different as the previous appointments werent working.
It could turn out to be a master stroke of a signing or a complete disaster.
Time will tell.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Glazers were eventually more impressed by the CV of Ajax manager Erik ten Hag, and confused by what Mauricio Pochettino had done at PSG.

Not alone. :lol:
I had a thought a couple of weeks ago. Poch compromising his playing principles to accommodate the PSG front three might have cost him the United job. It's been reported that we wanted someone that would instill a playing identity. His PSG stint has put question marks as to whether he's the man for that.

Woodzy

The right choice. He might fail, but you gotta take these chances when they become available, something we fail to do time and time again.

Part of the reason Chelsea have maintained success over the years because they pull the plug when a manager doesn't look like it's working out - people look down on this 'manager turnover' but to compete in the modern game unless you stumble on a Plepp or a Kop then it's needed.

Kaos

Luckhurst spent too much time on redcafe.
Feels that way :lol:

Not entirely sure I buy the story about the club going for Ten Hag to defy our woefully underperforming players, as wholesome as it seems. That ones straight out of the caf playbook.

el3mel

Not entirely sure I buy the story about the club going for Ten Hag to defy our woefully underperforming players, as wholesome as it seems. That ones straight out of the caf playbook.
He didn't say that. He said that the club just didn't care which manager the players prefer.

Kaos

He didn't say that. He said that the club just didn't care which manager the players prefer.
Yeah which would equate to them defying the wishes of the players who (allegedly) made it quite clear that they're not sold on ETH and would prefer Poch.

el3mel

Yeah which would equate to them defying the wishes of the players who (allegedly) made it quite clear that they're not sold on ETH and would prefer Poch.
Which is the right way of managing a club, ultimately. They didn't do this to piss off the players in particular, but their opinions really don't matter in the recruitment process. Their role is to train under and play for the next manager, not to choose him.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Caf should be cited as sources for most these frauds.
This may seem overly self important but I genuinely believe the decisive factor in appointing ETH was that the fans wanted him so much. Those in power at Old Trafford would have seen that, and that would include the poll on this thread which is not nothing.

The reason I think this is that if the fans lose faith in the future, they stop watching - not in the future but now. And if they stop watching they stop paying, and so do the TV companies. Half the reason we got Ole was that the fans (stupidly) believed in him being the right choice. We are far more powerful than we think we are. Truth is this whole elaborate sporting edifice only exists to part us from our money. And the wrong appointment threatened that machine.

I say all that as someone who wanted Poch to begin with and still thinks he might be the better coach. But I just couldn't believe in his project having seen how he bent the knee to players and commerce at PSG.

Last edited:

Giggsy13

At least he can still credibly say it was the Glazers fault. Which it was.
Opening up a can of worms here. No he cannot say that since he’s the one who believed he was qualified to decide on footballing matters. Woodward is a prick and good riddance to him.

MrSingh2002

No chance that's true is there. They'd rather reward shit players with contracts because its cheaper than replacing them.

They wanted Poch but supporters views were so strong that they had to give it to Ten Hag rather than finally feel the wrath they deserve from the fans.

Now that the Trojan Horses in Rangnik and Ten Hag are in I hope they can do real damage to the bad decision makers at the club. Rangnik and Ten Hag > Everyone else at the club.

I hope they get the players they want and are allowed to be nothing but ruthless with the players they feel aren't good enough for the present or future.

Hoping it's 10 out and 8 in the summer.
One can hope.

Imagine Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Pereira, Fred, Matic, Shaw, Bailly, Jones OUT

Replaced with Nunes, Antony, Tchouameni/Rice, Neves, Timber, LB, RB, Johnstone GK,

I actually don't think it's hard to pull that off considering how many are leaving and the salary space which now exists after 2 years or selling players.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Hoping it's 10 out and 8 in the summer.
One can hope.

Imagine Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Pereira, Fred, Matic, Shaw, Bailly, Jones OUT

Replaced with Nunes, Antony, Tchouameni/Rice, Neves, Timber, LB, RB, Johnstone GK,

I actually don't think it's hard to pull that off considering how many are leaving and the salary space which now exists after 2 years or selling players.
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we might see 10 to 11 outgoings, although most of them are currently squad players. I'll be happy with 6 new players in to directly improve the first team (except the backup goalkeeper) and the promotion of maybe 3 of our youngsters to the squad. Would love it if we could get rid of Maguire but I doubt it will happen in this window.

Out:
  • Lingard
  • Pogba
  • Mata
  • Cavani
  • Greenwood
  • Martial
  • Matic
  • Bailly
  • Jones
  • Henderson
  • Tuanzebe
  • Grant
  • Pereira

In:
  • Nkunku
  • Antony
  • Tchouameni/Rice/Kamara/Phillips
  • Neves
  • Timber
  • Johnstone (free)

Youngsters Promoted:
  • Garner
  • Mejbri
  • Laird

largelyworried

Who knows what the future will bring, but this is the first genuinely sensible appointment since SAF left.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Think AWB career is doomed. He wont waste his time with such a limited wingback. All of ETH teams past these years had one in common, they attack through their wingbacks
ETH always makes some surprising switches to players positions though. Would not be surprised to see AWB end up at centre half.

romufc

ETH always makes some surprising switches to players positions though. Would not be surprised to see AWB end up at centre half.
ETH has also been known as someone who likes a possession style team.

AWB is probably the worst footballer in our team. I am sure everytime the players pass the ball to him, they are scared he will lose it.

In my opinion, he should be nowhere near the team, he is nowhere near any United standard player. Probably the worst player I have seen.

Zevvythered

Only one position I see AWB occupying next year and that’s left back!!!

left back in the changing rooms :lol: ( thanks I am here all night)

Jackal981

ETH has also been known as someone who likes a possession style team.

AWB is probably the worst footballer in our team. I am sure everytime the players pass the ball to him, they are scared he will lose it.

In my opinion, he should be nowhere near the team, he is nowhere near any United standard player. Probably the worst player I have seen.
Agreed. His technical skill is as good as his driving skill. Other players might have some deficiencies, but AWB is the most unnatural footballer I have ever seen in the club. To think a player who cant head the ball for his life, cant pass control and dribble for shit and crumble under any slight pressure become a CB is a recipe for disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.