Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

I must admit I like the idea of a manager who directly oversees training. But Fergie's books make clear that he was very hands off when it came to day to day training for much of his time at United, so it clearly isn't a necessity.
Well, it only isn't a necessity if you delegate someone with immense coaching pedrigree in your stead. Which is what Sir Alex was great at. But if that manager just happens to be a big-brain on the coaching field, then two birds with one stone!
Umm, that's wrong. SAF was pretty hands-on in his first 15 or so years. It was only after he got old and couldn't be as intensive as he once was that he started to delegate. By that point everyone knew what he was about and what culture he wanted to instill in his players, so it wasn't a problem.

If Ten Hag is massively successful and lasts a long time here, he'll start to delegate too.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Umm, that's wrong. SAF was pretty hands-on in his first 15 or so years. It was only after he got old and couldn't be as intensive as he once was that he started to delegate. By that point everyone knew what he was about and what culture he wanted to instill in his players, so it wasn't a problem.

If Ten Hag is massively successful and lasts a long time here, he'll start to delegate too.
Isn’t this where Ole went wrong? He delegated before you had a certain style and didn’t have coaches with experience. Resulting in disjointed performances

always_hoping

Best of luck to Erik

How the club are ran will remain the biggest challenge for any new manager and Erik has a hell of task on his hands with such a disjointed squad that lacks leaders and is full of egos

Rolaholic

I'm officially excited :D

Our very own Pep Guardiola is my idol :drool:

Doubt he would've accepted without being offered near carte blanche if the reports from the last few weeks are to be believed.

Very intrigued in seeing how he goes about molding the side into his own, gonna be great to finally have a set playing style and identity on the pitch after the last few disjointed seasons.

reddevilz007

Hopefully he told the board to withdraw any contract offers to Pogba, and let him leave.

Same for Shaw, withdraw any contract offers until he proves he can actually play in his system and get in better physical shape.

Suv666

They keep saying this but literally all our managers have had a say on transfers. The main problem was they choose to sign dross for the most part.
Yeah everyone after Moyes have said the same thing and then proceeded to buy shit like Di Maria, Pogba and Maguire

tomaldinho1

I must admit I like the idea of a manager who directly oversees training. But Fergie's books make clear that he was very hands off when it came to day to day training for much of his time at United, so it clearly isn't a necessity.
It only worked because he evolved. Originally he was on the training ground every day but then he had the ability to relinquish control and by the end he was basically overseeing everything and managing the egos. That’s why Ole being hands off was such an insult in my opinion, he hadn’t earned that right he’d just assumed that role because it suited him.

mancsarered

Most exciting part to me is that it's the first Post-SAF appointment to me that felt like a new chapter.

Before this, it felt like we tried to fool ourselves that the right appointment would turn back the clocks and it would be 2009 again. This feels like a clean slate and a new project.

Acquire Me

Most exciting part to me is that it's the first Post-SAF appointment to me that felt like a new chapter.

Before this, it felt like we tried to fool ourselves that the right appointment would turn back the clocks and it would be 2009 again. This feels like a clean slate and a new project.
I agree. I feel exactly the same. Exciting times ahead regardless of how we end this season.

Robbie Boy

Yup, definitely.

Greck

It only worked because he evolved. Originally he was on the training ground every day but then he had the ability to relinquish control and by the end he was basically overseeing everything and managing the egos. That’s why Ole being hands off was such an insult in my opinion, he hadn’t earned that right he’d just assumed that role because it suited him.
Ole emulating that aspect just because he saw SAF do it was soo foolish. It's not uncommon to see successful people stop mictomanaging after building the business and being sure it can run on its own. Ole just waltzed in and skipped the first key step. Phelan as well doesn't do training so that was both. Might not have been so bad if they didn't totally delegate it to staff that were also learning, even less experienced.

frostbite

People did not want Conte because they thought we'd not play attacking football with him.

Against Liverpool, we had 28% procession and one shoot on target. We lost 4-0, only because Liverpool did not want to score more.

I think our biggest problem is that people are still trying to find the new SAF who will stay 26 years and win everything. It is not just the fans, it is our management, too. We don't hire the best available manager out there, we are trying to find the manager that will stay for 26 years. We try to think "long term" and we constantly end up needing a huge rebuild and a new 5-year plan.

TheReligion

Abusive
People did not want Conte because they thought we'd not play attacking football with him.

Against Liverpool, we had 28% procession and one shoot on target. We lost 4-0, only because Liverpool did not want to score more.

I think our biggest problem is that people are still trying to find the new SAF who will stay 26 years and win everything. It is not just the fans, it is our management, too. We don't hire the best available manager out there, we are trying to find the manager that will stay for 26 years. We try to think "long term" and we constantly end up needing a huge rebuild and a new 5-year plan.
So what’s that got to do with ten Hag and what’s your point?

frostbite

Ahh right.
I assume you aren’t a fan of ten Hag? Don’t rate him no?
Ten Hag is great. I love him. But he has nothing to do with my post.

I still believe that last September we should have hired Conte. It was a mistake to write off the whole year.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I still believe that last September we should have hired Conte. It was a mistake to write off the whole year.
Im not so sure. More papering over cracks.

Eddy_JukeZ

Conte just papers over the cracks like a band-aid.

We need surgery in the club.

And I'd rather us go head to head with the big teams than be reactive and sit back. Conte isn't a proactive manger with the ball.

frostbite

It still amazes me that people are soooooo confident that Ten Hag is ten times better than Conte! How? They are the same age. Look at what Conte has achieved so far, and then look at what Ten Hag has achieved. And then ask yourself: are you really sure that Ten Hag is better than Conte?

Yes, I also hope that Ten Hag will prove to be ten times better than Conte but I know it is just a "hope". The evidence says that so far in life, Conte is better than Ten Hag. It is simple. Yes, I hope that in a couple of years we will say that Ten Hag is better. But it is far from a sure thing.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If so, how predictable. We get an expected pasting and PR FC have their fingers on tweet ready to go...

Smithy89

As long as Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, Bruno etc etc are still calling the shots, a manager won't last two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.