Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

What about Marcelo Bielsa?
He is certainly a top coach but I don't think even half the squad can last his style of play. Would he also leave Leeds and come to United right now? I don't think Rose or Nagelsmann is going to come right now. If Ole stays at United even with us in dire situation then probably one of them may have been agreed to come end of the season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Marco Rose is in his second season at Gladbach so he hasn't just got there. If United made a approach then I believe there's a possibility he would seriously consider taking the job at the end of the season.

Until then a figure like Guus Hiddink would be ideal as Caretaker IMO.

Oo0AahCantona

Underdog mentality is different from a winning one. It translates better for big games or cup games than when trying to win every week, which is what we'd need to do to win the league.
I disagree completely, you can use an underdog mentality to build a winning mentality, look at what Atletico managed to achieve against a prime barca and real, they were 100% underdogs, and 100% winners.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You never learn. You think the world is perfect and we deserve perfect owners. It doesn’t happen, there are probably two clubs in the premier league who are ran immaculate. Leicester and Southampton. Neither are going to win the league. Owners can and will hinder progress but stop thinking they are the reason for football pitch frailties that we keep seeing with all our managers we have hired after Fergie. They have all been socking and quite frankly the crappiest one has performed the crappiest of the lot. There is a correlation here.... Just get a bloody good manager. That would be a good start.
Wrong. If you think it's just the manager letting us down you're delusional.

The players are a bunch of spineless cowards. The owners are bloodsucking parasites and the CEO is an absolute moron.

People who thinking just changing Ole is going to make us that dominant force again will get yet another rude awakening.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Marco Rose is in his second season at Gladbach so he hasn't just got there. If United made a approach then I believe there's a possibility he would seriously consider taking the job at the end of the season.

Until then a figure like Guus Hiddink would be ideal as Caretaker IMO.
I think at 73, you could do better things with your life than step into the United cauldron during a pandemic.

monosierra

The players are a bunch of spineless cowards. The owners are bloodsucking parasites and the CEO is an absolute moron.

People who thinking just changing Ole is going to make us that dominant force again will get yet another rude awakening.
Its an institutional problem. I've said it before - just like some companies are great and others are mediocre, we are a poorly run business that is nonetheless profitable due to an oligopoly. It goes all the way up from ownership to corporate leadership and operations - the bread and butter of football entertainment. We offer a middling product to consumer fans and a brand that hasn't been covering itself in glory.

He'sRaldo

I disagree completely, you can use an underdog mentality to build a winning mentality, look at what Atletico managed to achieve against a prime barca and real, they were 100% underdogs, and 100% winners.
That's true, but Atletico wasn't always consistent in the lesser games because of it. Another example would be Mourinho's Chelsea, although that was more a defensive mentality than an underdog one.

I think we already have a good underdog mentality, defending for our lives and counterattacking vs so called top sides. But we lack what's needed to win week in week out.

jamesjimmybyrondean

And you think sticking with Ole will make us a dominant force?

Mainoldo

How did Fergie win?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It doesn't have to be him but someone like that would be ideal.
I'm with you on Rose as the eventual candidate. But getting an interim manager isn't a simple situation. I'm not sure someone like Hiddink exists.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nearly 8 years of playing pragmatic football should mean we go for someone who plays attacking football. Someone who is brave and will go toe to toe with the likes of Guardiola and Klopp.

Marco Rose, Hassenhuttl, Nagelsmann and I even like Peter Bosz who would be my choices.

I want to watch attacking football first and foremost. I'm not even thinking about trophies etc but want us to develop our identity again.

AshRK

Whoever our next manager is, they're going to be in for a rough time. All the people that are rabidly backing Ole will jump on any small area of things not going perfectly.
Just like ole receives from some Jose fan boys.

joedirt87

can the next hire be someone whose focus is on playing attacking football. getting these guys to play into a certain style, maybe actually move around the box and makes runs. use both sides of the pitch when they attack.

Last edited:

Oo0AahCantona

That's true, but Atletico wasn't always consistent in the lesser games because of it. Another example would be Mourinho's Chelsea, although that was more a defensive mentality than an underdog one.

I think we already have a good underdog mentality, defending for our lives and counterattacking vs so called top sides. But we lack what's needed to win week in week out.
The first step is acceptance of where we are. We have been dire for a decade, our last really good team was 09? we won a few more titles in fergies last years but we played shit football and we didn't compete in europe. 10 years on, we still have a complete lack of self awareness about where we stand as a club, and as a result we are going to continue to make the same mistakes. we aren't a new manager away from winning the title next year, we need the overhaul we should have done in 2013. its going to take a few years to start reaping the rewards, and the very first step is to accept where we are and make decisions accordingly, we aren't a powerhouse, we're a shit show currently.

Chairman Steve

Whoever the next guy is, I guarantee it’ll go like this with some people:

Next guy wins or goes on streak of wins = “Well, OGS was about to do that anyway!”
Next guy draws or loses game = “We shouldn’t have sacked OGS! This guys just as bad! We’d never lose that game with OGS!”

RRCE

How did Fergie win?
First, he was a world class Manager who demanded respect, professionalism, sacrifice and performance. Ole is a journeyman at best.

Second, he had a leadership group consisting of players like Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Rio, Vidic and Evra. Ole has players like Maguire, Pogba, Martial and Shaw.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How did Fergie win?
He was a genius and if you remember he was lied to and let down and had to defend the owners with lies about no value in the market.

We won't get another Fergie. No club ever will.

Cantonagotmehere

He was a genius and if you remember he was lied to and let down and had to defend the owners with lies about no value in the market.

We won't get another Fergie. No club ever will.
Yessir, and he didn't have these weak minded players. Oh, what I would do for Vidic in his prime right now....

Denis79

If he's good enough he'll keep his job, still has plenty of time to turn this around. I don't believe he has the capacity to do so but I hope he proves me wrong.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm with you on Rose as the eventual candidate. But getting an interim manager isn't a simple situation. I'm not sure someone like Hiddink exists.
Laurent Blanc has been out of work for a while so may consider it.

I don't know if Rose will take us back to the promised land and I don't believe there's a guarantee of that with any coach. But it would be fascinating to see the apprentice (Rose) go up against the master (klopp) in a all out gegenpressing high tempo, fast transition war.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Laurent Blanc has been out of work for a while so may consider it.

I don't know if Rose will take us back to the promised land and I don't believe there's a guarantee of that with any coach. But it would be fascinating to see the apprentice (Rose) go up against the master (klopp) in a all out gegenpressing high tempo, fast transition war.
We'd at least start to enjoy watching football again. I do think he'd improve most of the players, and, crucially, the team collectively.

YouMo90

Massimo Allegri is my first choice at the current moment. He is undoubtedly the most accomplished and experienced manager out there available. Marco rose, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Julian Nagelsmann are highly unlikely because I dont see them leaving there clubs (especially the first two) respectively at this current stage of the season this early on. Furthermore I dont see the Manchester united board even think about approaching those two or even begin to think about engaging in serious negotiations for a possible appointment. For me It comes down to a straight fight between Allegri , Mauricio Pochettino or Julian Nagelsmann.

UbicaMekogSrca

Supports
FK Sloboda
I think that Klopp is watcing our games and thinking wtf. We have some good players they just need to be coached.

Okey

You can see an oceans worth of difference between the previous Bayern manager and their current one Hansi Flick. Granted the German league is not near as competitive as the PL, but you get the right attacking coach in, it can do wonders.

We have good players and they are crying out to be coached. Wasnt their a tweet about a month ago that they were losing faith in Ole because he was not coaching them.
Perfect example. Same Bayern squad were starting to look like duds under Kovac. Herr Flick comes in and suddenly they're the dominant force in Europe. With the right manager, we might be left wondering similarly if this is the same United team.

Okey

My vote... Rose, Hassenhuttl, Poch. I'd love Nagelsmann to get a bit older first. He can come later. But of course it'll likely be Poch, being the one available. Ed can't be arsed to negotiate for a manager that's currently employed.

croadyman

Oh yeah there is no doubt we have more problems at this club than just the manager,however we all know Woody goes nowhere so Ole will likely be the fall guy

RkkMan

Having bad owners doesn`t mean we should have a bad manager. Should Liverpool have stuck with Rodgers when Klopp was available? Should Everton have stuck with Duncan Ferguson when Ancelotti was available? Mind you at the time the owners of these respective clubs were not that different to The Glazers who have spent much more than them. Heck look at Arteta who works under an owner just as bad if not worse than The Glazers but he`s still managing to get the very best out of what he has. Getting the right manager is a big part of the reason they are where they are now.
Of course changing Ole wont solve everything but getting the right manager will go a long way to doing so. Ole isnt the only manager to miss out on first choice targets if Klopp got his first choice attacking targets his front 3 would be Brandt, Werner and Gotze heck he`s also missed out on Fekir and Texeira. Chilwell/Hector were his first choice LB targets but he ended up with Robertson from Hull for 8m.
If expensive lavish signings is the only way Ole can get a tune out of us then it shows he was never the right man to begin with

Last edited:

RkkMan

I cannot for the life of me understand this gobshite mentality that just because we have bad owners automatically means we should not hire an actual good manager if he`s not available. If we are all being very frank the only manager Post Fergie era we`ve ever hired that was good enough was Mourinho and his short term fix mentality was always going to last 3 seasons max at Utd. LVG was waaaaaaaaay past his best as a top class manager, Moyes was never ever ever good enough to manage a club our size and Ole like Moyes was never good enough even though he`s done more good than Moyes ever did.
Yes The Glazers are parasites but they`ve still spent shit loads of money what we need to do is hire the right football people(read from somewhere Utd want to hire a Data Scientist to have a structure similar to The Scouser`s model that would be a good start) to identify the right type of players. The Scousers have missed out on more first choice targets with Klopp than people think(Hector, Chilwell, Texeira, Brandt, Werner, Gotze etc) only Alisson, VVD, Keita and Thiago were Klopp`s top choices but having a manager that can maximize resources available as well as the right football people to identify the right players with can get us back to the top even with The Glazers in charge. Pochettino and a qualified Data Scientist wouldn`t be perfect but it would be a start

Status
Not open for further replies.