Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Although not firing on all cylinders, Utd are bigger club than Bayern....at this moment his stock is high...the German job will always be there....having to compete with Klopp and a Tuchel plus Pep would entice any proven coach...the money he would have (ole has had £400mn) plus the talented squad he would currently manage....if he cracks it us fans would give unconditional support like we always do...and I can’t see him making any issues with the board, like Jose did...German tittle winner, champions league winner, German cup winner...has done really well with the German team in a short space of time.
Generally? Debatable. For a German? No Chance.

Eplel

Heynckes was an attacker as well.
One of my favourite managers ever, always loved his brand of football and direct style of play. If he was 20 years younger, he'd be my choice for our manager.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Zidane fits your squad but there are some questions: Does he even want to get back into club management? Is he just happy to wait for the French national team job to become available after the World Cup? Could it just be that Zidane is an excellent Real Madrid manager and that's it in the same way that Manchester United is the only top European club Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could be suited to?

The final question is perhaps a tad unfair admittedly there are questions over Zidane like there would be for any possible Solskjaer successor.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Did he spent more than any other club in the world during those years? Did he have the highest wage bill in sports? And did the club finish second in the table the season before SAF was appointed?

If the answer to these questions is No, then probably there is no analogy there.
Aye, the comparison to SAF is mind boggling.

red4ever 79

Zidane fits your squad but there are some questions: Does he even want to get back into club management? Is he just happy to wait for the French national team job to become available after the World Cup? Could it just be that Zidane is an excellent Real Madrid manager and that's it in the same way that Manchester United is the only top European club Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could be suited to?

The final question is perhaps a tad unfair admittedly there are questions over Zidane like there would be for any possible Solskjaer successor.
You mean no other top club would hire him and rightly so. Done nothing to warrant such a prestige role

Revan

Assumptionman

Zidane would make perfect sense for this season, or till the end of next season. Enough time to find a new good manager who is more long termish (ten Hag etc).

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Potter is not a top manager. Its Eddie Howe all over again. Just stop.
He is miles better than Solskaer with a clear cuth way of playing.

What is Zidanes philosophy ? I didnt watch Real much, but wasnt he just another great man manager who could handle a bunch of egos where individual brilliance was key to his success ? The team he inherited was star packed.

I want the next manager to have a clear cut offensive philosophy, a manager who knows exactly what type of players he needs, and not just a bunch of world beaters and generational talents. The most imporant thing should be that they can fit together in the philosophy of the manager.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Pochetino will be available soon.

Currey 2-0 down v Rennes

Rossi Diablo

Generally? Debatable. For a German? No Chance.
If Liverpool can still hold onto Klopp after 6 years i’m sure Utd can get Hansi Flick. Utd are notorious of paying top dollar for their managers....ole is on a great contract considering his pedigree as a manager....remember Jose was able to negotiate £20m with the Utd board should they ever sack him... Money really talks...i agree it would be hard but if the current options being mentioned are Conte, Zidane, Potter and ten Hag, then taking a calculated punt on Flick would be a no brained....i c

Strelok

Only way I see Ole getting sacked anytime soon is if the players turn IMO. Ronaldo, Varane, Pogba reaching out to Zidane/complaining directly to the hierarchy, type of thing.
Pogba is likely to leave at the end of season so imo his opinion doesn't matter. At least until he signed a new contract or say he'd sign only if Ole leaves. Varane, afaik even at Madrid he tried his best to stay away from that shite so not him. So only Ronaldo I guess.

If the top hiearachy has to choose between Ronaldo and Ole, the only scenario Ole would have a chance is having the whole squad behind and good results. But he doesn't help himself after how he treated Cavani and recent results have been bad so not much chance for him I think.

He is miles better than Solskaer with a clear cuth way of playing.

What is Zidanes philosophy ? I didnt watch Real much, but wasnt he just another great man manager who could handle a bunch of egos where individual brilliance was key to his success ? The team he inherited was star packed.

I want the next manager to have a clear cut offensive philosophy, a manager who knows exactly what type of players he needs, and not just a bunch of world beaters and generational talents. The most imporant thing should be that they can fit together in the philosophy of the manager.
Tbh imo the ones with some "philosophy" don't suit our current situation at all.

Defensive approach? no we want attacking football.

Possession based football? well our squad is built for fast, direct football. We'll have to buy a lot to implement that. And I guess we've had enough with LVG.

High pressing? Gegen? well the feck it's gonna work with Ronaldo up top.

So someone who has an attacking approach, know how to and can handle the big megastars, the pressure and win us things. In short, Zidane imo.

Last edited:

Eplel

Pochetino will be available soon.

Currey 2-0 down v Rennes
Which means another good Ole replacement will be unavailble soon. They will surely be looking towards Ten Hag, Rose, Jardim and the likes.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Naggy was my favorite, but Bayern seduced him first, as usual with anything German. Klopp showed some character when he just moved from BD to the PL.

Ten Hag looks decent; looks a bit soft and dull, but tactically miles ahead of Ole, probably.

Zidane only for his Varane, Pogba + CR connections. Would give him at least two years with those players in the squad.

mav_9me

Although not firing on all cylinders, Utd are bigger club than Bayern....at this moment his stock is high...the German job will always be there....having to compete with Klopp and a Tuchel plus Pep would entice any proven coach...the money he would have (ole has had £400mn) plus the talented squad he would currently manage....if he cracks it us fans would give unconditional support like we always do...and I can’t see him making any issues with the board, like Jose did...German tittle winner, champions league winner, German cup winner...has done really well with the German team in a short space of time.
He just took over German national team. He is not leaving a year ahead of the world cup. This is just a pipe dream.

Eplel

When do currently employed managers ever switch clubs midseason?
Ole was at Molde when he was appointed at United.
Rodgers was at Celtic when appointed at Leicester.

It's not unusual, and most managers would not turn down an offer from a top club, just because it's mid season.

matt10000

Aye, the comparison to SAF is mind boggling.
Ffs no one said that Ole is equal to SAF, just saying there are some parallels that’s all……all this ‘ how dare you mention anyone else in the same sentence ….’ adds nothing to the debate and is just a lazy no value response that adds nothing, zero to the debate. There have been plenty of clever thought out reasonable responses bit this is just lazy meaningless waste
of space reply.

Dante

Average bang
Ferguson - Quick switches of play to either flank . Push the forward line high. Direct attacks into the box. Built to get the best from RvP.
Moyes - Emphasis on wing play. Sit a bit deeper. Utilise a target man. Built to get the best from Rooney.
LvG - Slow buildup. High possession. Low press. Built to get the best from Fellaini.
Mourinho - Counterattack. Physical domination of midfield. Utilise multiple target men. Low press. Built to get the best from Zlatan.
Ole - Counterattack. Physical domination of midfield. Interchanging forwards. Mid press. Built to get the best from Bruno.

One of United's biggest problems since Fergie has been the wild variations between each managerial appointment. What makes the lives of City and Chelsea managers so much easier is relatively consistent philosophy from one coach to the next. They can get away with sacking and hiring every season because the playing squad is built for a particular style and coaches are selected to match that style.

Meanwhile, at United, our changes have always been badly thought out. LvG bought a bunch of dross to completely transform the club. Then Mourinho sold them all to rebuild United in his own image. Finally, Ole had to come in to undo all the previous damage by getting back to basics with a young team peppered with top class veterans.

In that respect, Solksjaer has given exactly us what we needed to make us challengers again. So he deserves a lot of credit for bringing us back near the top.

The problem is that every manager has a natural lifecycle (with a few notable exceptions). Even Klopp, Tuchel and Ancelotti eventually lost their dressing rooms despite still being top class managers. So it wouldn't be unusual if Ole was coming to the end of the line as well. An obvious sign is that defensive cohesion is dropping from last season, despite now having Varane.

If we do bring in a new manager, it has to be a man that can build on Ole's reforms not somebody who needs to wipe the slate clean. We can't afford another Moyes to LvG mistake, or another LvG to Mourinho mistake.

Looking at the squad, it's not suited to high pressing imo. Its weaknesses appear to be defending counters and set pieces. And its strengths are luxury individual brilliance in attack. So the next manager should be able to work with all of that without needing to buy 5 or 6 new players. This means all the fancy high pressing Germans are a no-go. Same for Pochettino. Zidane might be a decent shout. But I just don't see any other obvious candidates who I'm confident will do better than Solksjaer. I don't think we should be sacking the manager without a clear plan in place first.

Flytan

Fair point about Juventus, though not about playing youth; Pogba alone is not enough to make that case. Also, I wouldn't credit Chelsea winning the UCL to him - they spent big after the transfer ban. He finished fifth in his second season with Chelsea.
I mean if playing a really good youth player isn't a sign of playing youth I don't really see how he'd be any different than our current manager. The only player he's really molded into a good player from youth is Greenwood and he'd succeed anywhere. I wasn't crediting him for Chelsea winning the UCL, I simply meant the squad wasn't in such a mess that they were irrelevant for years like us after SAF/Moyes/LVG/Mourinho. He leaves his clubs in competitive situations.

redrobed

Thomas Frank but in truth until we get owners that are actually going to back our managers in the transfer market none of this matters

El Jefe

Get Pochettino when he inevitably gets sacked from PSG. Tuchel has shown maximising his coaching ability at PSG was very difficult for obvious reasons. He looks a totally different coach now at Chelsea and more like what we saw at Dortmund.

Pochettino comes with his own issues of course but I reckon his experience of now managing a big club and big egos he'd be more ready for a club like us now.

Dante

Average bang
Thomas Frank but in truth until we get owners that are actually going to back our managers in the transfer market none of this matters
Defensively awful.

But in any case, I think it's important to remember that managers don't always succeed or fail based on their ability. Thomas Frank might the be next Ferguson, for all we know. But you can't put him in the hot seat right now.

A big part of managing a bunch of superstars is commanding their respect from day 1. Moyes could never do that, despite being a better than average manager himself. All things being equal, he had the nouse to be able to take that 2013 side comfortably into the top 4. But the shadow of SAF was too big and the players could never truly get on board with him.

For all his faults, Solksjaer's legend as a player already preceded him. Any replacement needs to have their own aura as a top manager. Which is one of the reasons why I think somebody from the Premier League or Bundesliga mid-table would be a bad fit.

Unfortunately, the manager position is not one where we can rely on potential. In 2021, United need a fully baked superstar or they'll lose the dressing room instantly.

JohnnyLaw

Tbh imo the ones with some "philosophy" don't suit our current situation at all.

Defensive approach? no we want attacking football.

Possession based football? well our squad is built for fast, direct football. We'll have to buy a lot to implement that. And I guess we've had enough with LVG.

High pressing? Gegen? well the feck it's gonna work with Ronaldo up top.

So someone who has an attacking approach, know how to and can handle the big megastars, the pressure and win us things. In short, Zidane imo.
Whoever manages us in the near future will need to revamp our CM anyways so we’ll have to buy either way.

I’ve only seen a few clips explaining Ten Hags system but from what I’ve gathered his setup would not be too far from what we’ve had.

I think Potters 3-5-2 system should suit our squad fantastically well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.