Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyng

No club operates on that basis. That's some fairy tale. The closest would be City having a raging boner over Pep and that's it.
Bayern with Nagelsmann is another example.
Go for Managers who are tactically adept and have clear style and you will get success. Tuchel at Chelsea is another example.
Hansi Flick the german team and Hjulmand for Denmark.
All modern progressive tactically smart managers.

spiriticon

If Poch is willing to come now, then let's make him the interim manager on a 9 month contract. If he's good, he gets the gig. If he fails, Ten Hag gets the gig.

Giggsyking

If a manager is not willing to give away the job he has currently in his hands to take the biggest job in the world as a Man Utd manager then dont bother, We are Manchester united, Ten Hag or Poch or who the feck we are interested in should just accept that the job is now or never.

USREDEVIL

If Poch is willing to come now, then let's make him the interim manager on a 9 month contract. If he's good, he gets the gig. If he fails, Ten Hag gets the gig.
Would he accept that proposal though. These top managers don't want such short contracts. They have enough leverage to demand a 2 year at least. Especially as he's contracted with PSG.

Hughie77

If its out of 2 Poch or Rodgers. I'm in for Poch, and that's not my 1st choice. Enrique is mine but looks a long shot. We need the money men to get Poch in by next week? Carrick has taken the reigns for tomorrow and if UTD realy want Poch you go get him now, if he says end of season then tell him it's now or never. That would show a more positive reaction from the club board etc that they know what there doing.

USREDEVIL

If a manager is not willing to give away the job he has currently in his hands to take the biggest job in the world as a Man Utd manager then dont bother, We are Manchester united, Ten Hag or Poch or who the feck we are interested in should just accept that the job is now or never.
Our bullying days are probably gone. He's at a highly rated PSG side, not some Southampton team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Would he accept that proposal though. These top managers don't want such short contracts. They enough leverage to demand a 2 year at least. Especially as he's contracted with PSG.
He took a short one at PSG... but he was out of a job then

Hughie77

Agree just wrote it.

Sviken

Bayern with Nagelsmann is another example.
Go for Managers who are tactically adept and have clear style and you will get success. Tuchel at Chelsea is another example.
Hansi Flick the german team and Hjulmand for Denmark.
All modern progressive tactically smart managers.
Nagelsmann is a differnt manager from Flick who was a different manager from Guardiola who was a different manager than Heynckes. Might as well say you want an attacking minded manager and that's fine, but that's not a clear identity because every coach has a different idea from how their team should play. Both Klopp and Guardiola are attacking managers, but they are very different in their approach.

Tuchel was not similar to Conte and neither is Conte to Mourinho and Mourinho to Ancelotti. You get my point.

Poch and Ten Hag are similar in both being attack minded coaches, but obviously both have a different approach.

spiriticon

Would he accept that proposal though. These top managers don't want such short contracts. They enough leverage to demand a 2 year at least. Especially as he's contracted with PSG.
I don't know. If he's desperate enough to come here, he'll jump at the chance.

Whatever we do, we shouldn't be offering ANY manager long term contracts. All those payouts we've made for the last 4 managers could have funded a CM

croadyman

See this is definitely splitting the fanbase on whether we should give them both an ultimatum or accept Ten Hag's stance of being willingly to wait it out until the summer and appoint an interim now instead

Cassidy

Nagelsmann is a differnt manager from Flick who was a different manager from Guardiola who was a different manager than Heynckes. Might as well say you want an attacking minded manager and that's fine, but that's not a clear identity because every coach has a different idea from how their team should play. Both Klopp and Guardiola are attacking managers, but they are very different in their approach.

Tuchel was not similar to Conte and neither is Conte to Mourinho and Mourinho to Ancelotti. You get my point.

Poch and Ten Hag are similar in both being attack minded coaches, but obviously both have a different approach.
Not entirely convinced Poch is attack minded

Bocca9978

I don’t think our board has that much common sense.
Also, I guess Poch wouldn’t agree to it.

Cassidy

Yes a club that has won nothing of note in nearly a decade, and one with a structure above the manager that is stuck in the dark ages...
Add to that those who are doing the negotiations, I think you'll see the club isn't in as favorable position as you would like to think.

Couldn't even convince Klopp to leave Dortmund

Dansk

People are a bit too hung up on Ten Hag. While I'd have been glad to get him, the fact of the matter is that he hasn't got much of a pedigree. He has only coached for real in the Netherlands, and not for very long, and nobody knows how he might handle a big club because he's never been at one. Not even as a player. We like to fantasize about him being the next Pep/Klopp, but the reality is that we have no idea whatsoever if he would be any kind of success at all. He could just as easily be a disaster. I would welcome giving him the chance to show what he can do, but no one can say that we're definitely missing out on something big. We would be taking a gamble with Ten Hag much moreso than with Poch.

The Dutch league is not exactly a cutthroat competition when you're in charge of Ajax, the club that wins it more often than not. Pochettino took Spurs to the CL final, and while things aren't exactly harmonious for him right now at PSG, that club is notoriously unmanagable. And despite that, they're 11 points clear in Ligue 1 and undefeated thus far in the CL. He'll stroll the league if he stays in France and he led Spurs to their biggest achievement in the modern era. That's infinitely more impressive than winning the Eresdivisie with Ajax.

There are countless managers who impress domestically in smaller leagues but never make it on the big stage. We've only ever seen Ten Hag in the Netherlands as a player and as a first team coach. He has done quite well in Europe by the standards of a club like Ajax, but he hasn't exactly created miracles. He has just done a bit better than you'd expect. We have no notion if he has the competencies to manage a football giant because he has never done it before or even played for a big club.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Him not fixing Dele Ali and him dropping Moura for the Champions League final go against him for me but we could do worse for sure.

Conte, Guardiola, Jose and Klopp I would say are the best managers of the last 10 years.

To compete against them we need the best of the rest and there's an argument for Pochettino. His Premier League experience puts him ahead of Ten Hag and even Zidane for me.

It's a shame we missed out on the top top managers by picking Moyes, LVG, and Ole.

I would actually want Jose in charge again with this squad. This is the type of squad he wanted in his 3rd season.

We'll never know if he would've been able to build on his 2nd position if he had been backed with the players and money that Ole was (Maguire, AWB, Bruno, Sancho, Cavani and Ronaldo).

There's no doubt he would've done better than Ole did with the squad this season though.
Jose would be a disaster with this squad.

peridigm

Fair point. Would let us go into next season with the manager already familiar with the players. Plus he would have two transfer windows to chuck out who he doesn't want. Can't see us buying anyone in January either way but we'll definitely be spending next summer.

Keefy18

He did that but that alone doesn’t make him a top coach imo.
His achievements at Spurs were good. Its his PSG stint that worries me.

Poor football. Doesnt seem to have a defined style of play. Struggling with big egos and a top heavy squad. Sound familiar?
I think Poch & PSG are a mismatch. It never felt right from the get go.

Leanardo is a difficult person to work with also from all reports.

I think he'll be happier at United and fit better.

He absolutely does have a defined style of play, high pressing mixed with brilliant counter attacking football, but good luck trying to get the 3 lazy b@stards up top for PSG to do that.

Chairman Steve

If it’s to be believed that the Utd hierarchy have all been Poch admirers for years, then they’ll be offering him 2 year deal minimum.

Dont forget though a lot of these contracts are swarming with clauses dictating performances and league finishes, meaning a reduced payout.

I just hope their long admiration has been worth it when it comes down to it. Poch this time last year would have been a no brainer for me, but the PSG stint has made me sour but then again there’s no club quite like fecking PSG, especially when Tuchel is dealing with non footballing people related to his squad on a regular basis when he was there.

Sviken

Not entirely convinced Poch is attack minded
He was pretty attack minded with both Southampton and Spurs. PSG are disjointed, but to be fair - the club is a circus. Even Tuchel said it. Why do you think Poch wants to leave?

AndyMUFC86

I partly agree with you here. I think Ten Hag could be prized away from Ajax right now despite his previously saying he wouldn’t leave. He just hasn’t been offered the right deal. I’d rather see the club spend £100m on a world class manager than any world class footballer. I don’t know why we don’t just use our power and get the deal done now instead of prelonging it

Wilt

Leave PSG for a nine month interim contract :lol:

Yeah ….sign here Mauricio

largelyworried

What, so go for a second rate manager just cos they’re desperate to come?

I'm all for these Pochettino rumours, would take him any day of the week.

1) Consistently punched above his weight at Spurs, outperforming bigger clubs with massive financial advantages - he took them to four consecutive CL finishes which is something none of us, Chelsea or Arsenal have pulled off since Fergie's retirement, despite spending way more money than Spurs

2) Did it with virtually the same squad throughout 2015-19, with a genuine case (unlike that moaning bastard Mourinho with us) that he wasn't backed by the club with the investment needed to refresh and improve the squad when it was needed

3) Remains one of three managers in five seasons to have finished above Guardiola since he came to the PL - the other two are Conte and Klopp

4) Played great football at his squad's peak

Cassidy

He was pretty attack minded with both Southampton and Spurs. PSG are disjointed, but to be fair - the club is a circus. Even Tuchel said it. Why do you think Poch wants to leave?
I don't think he was as attacking at Spurs as is being made out. Especially not the last 2 seasons.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Shame Cloughie isn’t around anymore. He would have been brilliant with the players & board of directors.

el3mel

The next manager should only get 18 months contract or at most 2 years. Evaluate then see if he deserves an extension later or not.

Hope we never give any manager 3 years contract again. 18 months is the new way.

Status
Not open for further replies.