Next PM | #NoMoBoJo | Still hanging around like a bad smell

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A woman of colour has a chance to lead the tories? Isn't that weird? I truly know feck all about British politics aside from Lozza Fox and Elvis.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
A woman of colour has a chance to lead the tories? Isn't that weird? I truly know feck all about British politics aside from Lozza Fox and Elvis.
No. Cameron and May did huge work selecting women and people of colour for safe Tory seats after 2005, when they suddenly realised the entire Parliamentary Party were old, white men.

Patel, Badenoch, Braverman, Sunak, Zahawi etc were all chosen for seats that would stay Tory even if there was a full-on proletarian revolution in the UK. They all happen to have politics slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.

Their success is lauded as showing anyone can make it in Britain. Despite them having preferential treatment based on who they are and the views they hold.

mikey_d

No. Cameron and May did huge work selecting women and people of colour for safe Tory seats after 2005, when they suddenly realised the entire Parliamentary Party were old, white men.

Patel, Badenoch, Braverman, Sunak, Zahawi etc were all chosen for seats that would stay Tory even if there was a full-on proletarian revolution in the UK. They all happen to have politics slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.

Their success is lauded as showing anyone can make it in Britain. Despite them having preferential treatment based on who they are and the views they hold.
Speaking as someone who definitely wouldn’t vote for this lot. Not all you have suggested is entirely accurate candidates aren’t chosen by the leaders of the party or even national party. they can be nominated but are ultimately selected by the local Conservative party. Patel and badenoch certainly weren’t favourites to be selected when they were originally nominated

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Speaking as someone who definitely wouldn’t vote for this lot. Not all you have suggested is entirely accurate candidates aren’t chosen by the leaders of the party or even national party. they can be nominated but are ultimately selected by the local Conservative party. Patel and badenoch certainly weren’t favourites to be selected when they were originally nominated
Yes, you are right, my apologies for the lack of precision in what I said - and to be fair to Cameron and May they did exert as much pressure as they could on local parties which did make a difference.

Details on Cameron's 'A-List' here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_A-List

Patel's selection here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6206132.stm

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Sounds like Starmer.

Only one teensie weensie problem. If you have no intention of dealing with the outside world -fine.

Otherwise, oh dearie me!
Honestly. How much longer are there going to use the EU as an excuse for everything.
Plays well to the DM readers I guess.

For goodness sake.
The EU are not the problem. And never has been.
You the government are the problem. And always have been.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Honestly. How much longer are there going to use the EU as an excuse for everything.
Plays well to the DM readers I guess.

For goodness sake.
The EU are not the problem. And never has been.
You the government are the problem. And always have been.
It's always someone else's fault, always has been.
They probably wouldn't dare mention that the British government had large say in those EU rules.

Whatever rules they change within the UK, they still have to follow the rules of whichever country they deal with outside the UK, whether it's with the EU, the US or elsewhere.

The realisation that the impact of leaving the EU is finally hitting home to the government and they don't know what to do.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's always someone else's fault, always has been.
They probably wouldn't dare mention that the British government had large say in those EU rules.

Whatever rules they change within the UK, they still have to follow the rules of whichever country they deal with outside the UK, whether it's with the EU, the US or elsewhere.

The realisation that the impact of leaving the EU is finally hitting home to the government and they don't know what to do.
Precisely that.
If this was the outcome of any self respecting commercial organisation, the complete leadership team would have been held accountable and been summarily sacked.

But hey, it is just the government of the UK. So they are still in place peddling their lies and as you say, stoking up the public by blaming everyone else. The EU. Putin. Labour.
If it wasn't so hot, I would get annoyed....

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

And Mordaunt is going to get Brexit re-done.

Just as well it's all over and going so swimmingly.

Fantasy island lives on.
To be fair she hasn't stated which people's pockets she'd put money into so we know that would be one promise she would definitely deliver, to her rich mates anyway.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
But hey, it is just the government of the UK. So they are still in place peddling their lies and as you say, stoking up the public by blaming everyone else. The EU. Putin. Labour.
If it wasn't so hot, I would get annoyed....
To be fair the heat is also to blame for all of the problems in Britain.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
First question is how they tackle cost of living.

Liz, Tom spoke about cutting taxes and focusing on growth.

Penny spoke about VAT cuts.

Kemi mentioned she used to clean toilets so she gets it. She wants to cut fuel duty. She wants tackle inflation first.

Rishi said his number 1 priority is inflation.

Rishi is the only one with the right answer to an obvious question.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah this debate is set up fo Rishi to win. Theyl all gang up on him, but I am personally finding their grasp on the economy as nonsense.

They want to borrow themselves out of a problem.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Odd that it is the supposed right wing party in UK that has had the only two female PMs and now seems on track to either have another female PM or the first person of colour PM. I am not for identity politics but I would have thought there would be some schism in left in UK over this.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Odd that it is the supposed right wing party in UK that has had the only two female PMs and now seems on track to either have another female PM or the first person of colour PM. I am not for identity politics but I would have thought there would be some schism in left in UK over this.
Labour actually need to win an election first

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Liz and Penny not off to a very logical start.. Struggling to grasp their reasoning

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
First question is how they tackle cost of living.

Liz, Tom spoke about cutting taxes and focusing on growth.

Penny spoke about VAT cuts.

Kemi mentioned she used to clean toilets so she gets it. She wants to cut fuel duty. She wants tackle inflation first.

Rishi said his number 1 priority is inflation.

Rishi is the only one with the right answer to an obvious question.
But but. Sunak is no longer chancellor. And he is not bidding to become chancellor again. He is bidding to become PM which is a completely different job.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But but. Sunak is no longer chancellor. And he is not bidding to become chancellor again. He is bidding to become PM which is a completely different job.
And the most important issue for the PM will be grappling with the economic situation the UK finds itself with.

For what its worth I like Tom too but Rishis approach makes most sense. Liz and Penny having a mare.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And the most important issue for the PM will be grappling with the economic situation the UK finds itself with.

For what its worth I like Tom too but Rishis approach makes most sense. Liz and Penny having a mare.
Understand. The economy should be the job of the chancellor and the Bank of English.
The PM role requires a different skill set. It needs a proper leader with proper leadership capabilities.

I don't see Sunak as having those capabilities.
When under pressure, he is too weak, as shown many times when he did not stand up to Boris.

And the sad thing is that none of them look to be proper leaders.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I am unable to watch but saw this comment which made me chuckle:

Mordaunt says this is not the place to discuss pay levels. But she says there are other things that could be done, such as making it easier for people to move up pay grades.

How do five complete numpties manage to have a chance of holding the top job in Britain?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Is it fair to expect much of the relevant right wing media such as The Times, Daily Mail and Telegraph will get behind Rishi as we approach the vote between the final two?

He's kind of fecked if not isn't he given what the polling currently suggests of his chances in the final two against pretty much anyone?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Understand. The economy should be the job of the chancellor and the Bank of English.
The PM role requires a different skill set. It needs a proper leader with proper leadership capabilities.

I don't see Sunak as having those capabilities.
When under pressure, he is too weak, as shown many times when he did not stand up to Boris.

And the sad thing is that none of them look to be proper leaders.
I dont think any chancellor in the position Rishi was in could have made too many different decisions to be honest.

Bank of England is only there to bring inflation close to 2%. The scary thing is Liz Truss says we need to be like Japan in our approach to the central bank. Someone else (forgot who) says we haven't hit 2% on average which is incorrect.

You need to have a PM who has a sound understanding of economics. That's a minimum. Liz and Penny definitely dont have that.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Studies will be done one day if they don't exist already on the weird psychological black hole Brexit has left the UK in.

Utterly bizarre. Some kind of symbol of a dead empire.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Labour actually need to win an election first
They can elect new leaders regardless of elections. ******* Harman and Yvette Cooper were certainly good enough candidates to be elected leader in last 15 years....Dianne Abbot and Liz Kendall less so. Feels like Angela Rayner will be leader post Starmer so will hopefully be moot point before too long.

Anyway didn't watch Thursday so this is my first look at them all....Sunak is the safe choice really, been on the frontline last two years so public certainly know who he is for a start. Given what people ignored to vote Johnson in I can't believe the party members would give a stuff over non-dom status. My hunch is Liz Truss will win but she seems as robotic in these debates as Theresa May was. Not sure how Penny has done so well up to this point, Tom T most authentic story but big outsider. If this went to a public vote Kemi would do very well in a few areas I think in terms of visibility but she isn't going to be next PM.

As said above a mediocre set of candidates but that's general state of politics these days. None of these will be brave enough to call an election this year that's for sure. Sunak and Truss will surely be final two anyway.

Acole9

Outstanding
All these questions are going to be towards Sunak aren't they :lol:.