Next Real Madrid manager | Glaston has a shocker

Theonas

Scout
I would say the problem with some very tactical oriented coaches in squads full of quality is that they limit the talent of their players and kill off their creativity. To get the best of such personalities some balance is needed, and that's why certain coaches and Real Madrid don't mix up well together. For some reason managers who can provide the balance are somewhat seen in a worse light than those who are intransigent and very tactical. We often see coaches being questioned on whether they would make it in smaller clubs but never the contrary. As we saw with the case of Moyes, the profiles needed for each enviroment are very different.
That's an interesting point. I think the reason is that a lot of people tend to enjoy dissecting and understanding the craft of coaching itself. There are endless discussions about the vision of the likes of Cruyff, Sacchi and many others and how they viewed the game. That's something that a lot genuinely enjoy. There are those on the other hand who see the coach as nothing more than an employee and that the final product is all that matters. I guess with the former, when it comes to coaches like Zidane, there is always the feeling of "yea but what is his stamp on this team, what is his own vision and how can it be detected." It's a bit like film directors, there are those whose movies all have a clear touch, they almost dominate their work with their own style and there are those who sit back and merely transfer the story, actors, effects, etc ... to the audience. The former tend to get much more recognition and respect.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Lol … Pochettino is a smart guy who knew exactly what he was doing by signing a new contract before the outcome of the CL final was known. If he'd harboured the slightest desire to leave Spurs for RM this summer he would have waited a few days to see if a vacancy was going to arise.

But he didn't wait. And the notion that didn't wait because of some lack of awareness is just more wishful thinking. He's now one of the highest paid football managers in the world - probably in the top 6 or 7 - so I doubt he's too "gutted".
That would be an interesting theory had Florentino thought the outcome of the CL was going to determine the future of Zidane, but the reactions in the last days suggest the club had not contacted any of the top coaches in Europe in recent times.

It's also disingenous to insist on Pochettino if you know he doesn't want to sign for you, as that's going to make you look very bad when there is really no need for that.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That would be an interesting theory had Florentino thought the outcome of the CL was going to determine the future of Zidane, but the reactions in the last days suggest the club had not contacted any of the top coaches in Europe in recent times.

It's also disingenous to insist on Pochettino if you know he doesn't want to sign for you, as that's going to make you look very bad when there is really no need for that.
Why would RM have contacted any top coaches before the CL final? They were hardly going to sack Zidane if he'd won them the 3rd CL on the spin. But they just might have sacked him if he'd lost that final … because that's the way RM sometimes operate.

Nah, RM thought they could just walk in and take Pochettino, but they got a shock.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Conte will win La Liga comfortably next year after getting knocked out from the CL at the QFs stage, only to get the boot at the end of the season because of his tough attitude. You heard it here first! :cool:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Why would RM have contacted any top coaches before the CL final? They were hardly going to sack Zidane if he'd won them the 3rd CL on the spin. But they just might have sacked him if he'd lost that final … because that's the way RM sometimes operate.

Nah, RM thought they could just walk in and take Pochettino, but they got a shock.
Zidane wouldn't have been fired even if he lost the final.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Conte will win La Liga comfortably next year after getting knocked out from the CL at the QFs stage, only to get the boot at the end of the season because of his tough attitude. You heard it here first! :cool:
And it would be hilarious if he tried to say he did not have enough money like he did when Juve got knocked out of the CL.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

:lol::lol::lol:
You don't know that for sure.

Halftrack

I'm absolutely baffled about how some people state their opinions and speculation as facts. It's shocking really. :lol:
Especially when it's Glaston doing it, given his penchant for calling others out for speculating.
"They got a shock".... Making it seem like they missed out on the manager of the century
Who else can boast of achievements such as 'finishing third in a two-horse race' and 'beating Real in a dead-rubber'? What are trophies when compared to that?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You dont know that for sure.
OK, have it your way. RM never wanted Pochettino, never approached Levy or Pochettino about the job and Pochettino never turned them down.

I'm happy if you're happy.

Jam

OK, have it your way. RM never wanted Pochettino, never approached Levy or Pochettino about the job and Pochettino never turned them down.

..Then how did they get a shock if they never wanted him and never approached the situation?

Chose one. They were wanted him, or got a shock when they couldn't have him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
..Then how did they get a shock if they never wanted him and never approached the situation?

Chose one. They were wanted him, or got a shock when they couldn't have him.
I already did mate … sorry if you missed it.

0161_UNITED

The point is they missed out on who they wanted most, namely Pochettino.
Perhaps. It’s not over until Madrid appoints a new manager. However, I hardly would believe it was anything like Spurs or Levy playing tough with Real Madrid, I’m far more inclined to believe what Pochettino said, he fears he’d damage his reputation permanently if he walked away after signing a 5 year contract, and I bet both he and Madrid agreed to leave the door wide open for the future. Hardly a “shock” for Real Madrid, and probably Levy never even had the chance to get out of bed and put his tough negotiator pants on.

Don’t fret though, apparently he’s got his big boy pants on now and is gonna drive a hard bargain for Alderweireld.

OverratedOpinion

Spurs fans really do struggle with the concept that no one particularly cares about their club.

It will be interesting to see if Real give a chance to another former player. It's hard to deny the success they had.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I doubt that Pochettino has rejected us. I think it was Levy asking for an impossible sum for a coach, which nobody pays.
I have not heard him say "I do not want to train Madrid", what I have heard are compliments and say "Levy bites", implying that it does not depend on him.
In any case, a few days ago you wrote " This has nothing to do with it ... because no club will want to keep a manager who wants out, because of the morale effect this would have on the entire team."

Don´t you think that this could be the case? remembering again and again that there is a contract, a pretty weak argument to keep the leader of the project?

RoyH1

I’m thinking Guti will end up being the manager. So many of the big names are tied up to big contracts, and I don’t think they want to pay up big money for getting a manager out of it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I see Poch is starting to bat his eyelids at RM a little bit.
I think he is just being honest, it’s the biggest job in world football, but as always he is happy at Tottenham. What else is the guy supposed to say? I believe he will probably manage Madrid but not at this momment in time.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I doubt that Pochettino has rejected us. I think it was Levy asking for an impossible sum for a coach, which nobody pays.
I have not heard him say "I do not want to train Madrid", what I have heard are compliments and say "Levy bites", implying that it does not depend on him.
In any case, a few days ago you wrote " This has nothing to do with it ... because no club will want to keep a manager who wants out, because of the morale effect this would have on the entire team."

Don´t you think that this could be the case? remembering again and again that there is a contract, a pretty weak argument to keep the leader of the project?
I don’t think you really know much about the man, he is as honest and straight forward as they come. Clearly any manager would want the biggest job in football but season after season he has stated he is not finished at Tottenham. He would hardly burn his bridges.

I’d say he would rather wait and see if the Madrid dressing room and Perez can be sorted out before taking over. In all honesty I don’t see why Perez would want him, he isn’t a manager who wants to be told who to play, or what his philosophy should be, it’s a really strange match up.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t think you really know much about the man, he is as honest and straight forward as they come. Clearly any manager would want the biggest job in football but season after season he has stated he is not finished at Tottenham. He would hardly burn his bridges.

I’d say he would rather wait and see if the Madrid dressing room and Perez can be sorted out before taking over. In all honesty I don’t see why Perez would want him, he isn’t a manager who wants to be told who to play, or what his philosophy should be, it’s a really strange match up.
Pochettino existed before Tottenham. He had a very good career at Espanyol, with an strong personality as a player and then as a coach and he always had nice words for Madrid, for sympathy or because of his antipathy to Barcelona.
Very reliable sources say that he spoke with the directors of Madrid on several occasions and probably with Madrid players.
In any case, I do not think he would burn any bridge with Madrid being honest and saying that it is not the time for the job, and he has not done it. He said "deal with Levy"

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Pochettino existed before Tottenham. He had a very good career at Espanyol, with an strong personality as a player and then as a coach and he always had nice words for Madrid, for sympathy or because of his antipathy to Barcelona.
Very reliable sources say that he spoke with the directors of Madrid on several occasions and probably with Madrid players.
In any case, I do not think he would burn any bridge with Madrid being honest and saying that it is not the time for the job, and he has not done it. He said "deal with Levy"
And if Levy doesn’t want to deal, he is happy at Tottenham? If he had spoke with the Madrid directors and players.... why sign a 5 and a half year deal with us? I’m not saying his amibition isn’t to coach Madrid, I’d say it is, but he isn’t the kind of manager or guy to not fulfill his contract, or project he has on. Have you read his book?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
And if Levy doesn’t want to deal, he is happy at Tottenham? If he had spoke with the Madrid directors and players.... why sign a 5 and a half year deal? I’m not saying his amibition isn’t to coach Madrid, I’d say it is, but he isn’t the kind of manager or guy to not fulfill his contract, or project he has on. Have u read his book?
But there comes the question I asked Glaston before. He is very loyal but then you take refuge in that he has just signed a contract and in the stubborn figure of the owner. If Levy says "I'm not going to ask for money for the coach, Let Pochettino decide", do you think he would stay?
No, I didn´t read it

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
But there comes the question I asked Glaston before. He is very loyal but then you take refuge in that he has just signed a contract and in the stubborn figure of the owner. If Levy says "I'm not going to ask for money for the coach, Let Pochettino decide", do you think he would stay?
No, I didn´t read it
A reporter basically said something like “is it not impossible to turn down Madrid?” And Poch replied with "You think it's impossible [to refuse Madrid], but you are not me"

I don’t get why these quotes are ignored and so many people try to think he desperately wants out.

Can I ask do you want him, is he your preferred choice?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
A reporter basically said something like “is it not impossible to turn down Madrid?” And Poch replied with "You think it's impossible [to refuse Madrid], but you are not me"

I don’t get why these quotes are ignored and so many people try to think he desperately wants out.

Can I ask do you want him, is he your preferred choice?
I know what he said, he has been very ambiguous. If he wanted the work he should have been clearer, but he also said "that happens what has to happen" or "Levy bites", which sounds like "it does not depend on me".
He could have said "Madrid is the top job but no thanks, I'm on a project in Tottenham".
From the list of coaches "top": Allegri, Sarri, Low, Klopp, etc, he is my favorite choice (although I also have a morbid and masochistic desire to see Wenger, haha). Although I also like - and I think it's the favorite - the option of Guti