Next Season Expectations

El Zoido

If we don’t sign anyone else I wouldn’t even expect us to get top six. Cross everything and hope our youngsters get really good, really quickly. Realistically we’re in big trouble.

Lee565

If nothing else happens I expect 6th-8th place finish, I am still highly unconvinced that Solskjear is even good enough to be a manager for a mid-table premier league side and throw in the fact that whilst we are stagnating as a club, the teams below us like wolves, everton and Leicester are continuing to strengthen their sides and Chelsea under Lampard is a complete wild card, they could have a great season or find themselves in the bottom half of the league before sacking Frank.

Offsideagain

If and currently it’s an enormous if, we sign a decent CB and a midfielder and striker, I expect top four and a trophy. I’d settle for two wins over City and Liverpool and top six. Anything other than that is unacceptable. I believe Ole is favourite to be the first PL sacking which is unfair.

FattyFooty

To win matches you need goals. The most goals comes from forwards. Our forwards do not guarantee many goals. I hate to say this, but another bad season. And tons of excuses.

Eric's Seagull

If nothing else happens I expect 6th-8th place finish, I am still highly unconvinced that Solskjear is even good enough to be a manager for a mid-table premier league side and throw in the fact that whilst we are stagnating as a club, the teams below us like wolves, everton and Leicester are continuing to strengthen their sides and Chelsea under Lampard is a complete wild card, they could have a great season or find themselves in the bottom half of the league before sacking Frank.
I think Ole is good enough for us but I don't think Woody is giving him a good enough platform for him to build from for him to be successful. To buy only 2 players when we are going through a rebuild is appalling but Woody has nearly 2 weeks to so something special. If we don't sign some players we are in danger of falling further behind the top teams. I realise this rebuild is going to take more that one window but its as if Woody doesn't seem to care about what happens on the field as long as he is making money for the Glazer's.

RkkMan

Can genuinely see us even struggle to finish in the top 8 if our form from last season is anything to come by anyone banking on our players showing miraculous improvement to save face for this horrific window is in for a big disappointment

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As we are 4th is our absolute glass ceiling. And that's if we get back to that form we showed early on in ogs spell.

Maguire and a mid on top and push higher maybe.

RedNed77

I reckon we'll surprise a few and start strongly and in a promising manner. I think we'll burn out around christmas and the results will be a lot patchier in the new year. I still reckon we'll get fourth though. In addition to the promising start, i think the fans will see and be pleased with the implementation of the new style which will help us look more even with the top two and laying bare the positions we need to improve on in the summer.

I expect McTominay to make the CDM position his own, with Pogba earning the fans respect again, getting a new contract and being sold for a small fortune next summer.

I also expect Greenwood, Gomes & Garner to have made serious inroads into the first team setup, getting close to twenty goals and assists between them.

This is all assuming we dont sign anybody else. If we get Maguire I'd expect us to be more resillient defensively when we struggle in the new year and we'll take 3rd rather than 4th.

romufc

3rd has to be expectation.

The club lowering fans expectation and fans are okay with it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Top 6, but more importantly, solid seasons for Axel, Greenwood, Chong and Gomes with McT cementing the DM role and Garner playing a bit-part but showing signs of being ready to step up. James also showing what he’s capable of albeit inconsistently due to age and AWB bossing the right hand side consistently.

Season of consolidation and stripping back, end of season will see the departure of some big names (Pogba/Sanchez/Martial) with our young guns ready to take over and providing the foundation to build from and most importantly, a strong work ethic and togetherness.

buckooo1978

if we dont sign anyone else I think we will struggle for 4th

we look plucky under Ole and we may have good spells - I think the Chelsea game is important in setting a tone

if we lose that I feel Ole will be under a lot of pressure from the start given how utterly pathetic we were from March to the end of the season

seems some fans on here have forgotten the games against Huddersfield and Cardiff when the current squad literally couldn't care less with top 4 still available

we will be fitter, I feel AWB in particular and James will improve us but we haven't done enough to progress

our best chance for top 4 is Arsenal and Chelsea fecking up

RedDevilRoshi

Has to be top 4. Unfortunately we don’t have a squad capable of challenging City for the league.

At this moment in time, with the squad we presently have, I’d say 5th. If we add a couple of new players in, we can challenge for at least 3rd and I’d be confident we will get top 4.

Just need to see how these two weeks unfold.

Cathy Ferguson

No more signings (most likely): Might make top four.

Add Maguire: Favourites to fourth spot.

Add Maguire and Savic/Fernandes: Will compete with Spurs for third space.

Looking forward to follow the progress of Martial, Greenwood, McTominay, Rashford and maybe Gomes and Fred can surprise us.

jasT1981

We will struggle for 4th if we don't get anyone else.

AWB and James have been great pre-season. But we still have a lot of the issues going back to the LVG days. Managers telling Woodward we need CBs and being told Jones and Smalling are enough.

No big clear out either. What happened to quite a few of these players have played their last games for us? Herrera and Valencia are the only 2 gone of note.

red4ever 79

6th again. We are no better than last year. All our rivals have either stayed the same or gotten better with the exception of Chelsea.

roseguy64

I'll determine them when the transfer window closes. But if pushed, I'm currently expecting 4th and for us to go far in the EL.

Irwin99

4th. Barring a massive collapse from Spurs I think it's extremely unrealistic to get anywhere near Liverpool, City or even Spurs (who should have finished 3rd quite comfortably last season IMO).

Realistic expectation:

• The club get off to a good start due to good fitness levels and the youngsters starting strongly.
  • We play good counter attacking football with some flair and lots of energy
  • We lack an out and out goalscorer but goals are shared evenly throughout the team again which makes up for it.
  • Performances drop off after a few months and our lack of quality in squad depth harms us but we pick up points here and there with strong determination and by seeing some of the harder games out.
  • we finish the season just about getting top 4/challenging for a cup final.

Pessimistic prediction :nervous::

• we start the season poorly, players seems bewildered and have no sense of leadership or accountability.
  • The usual problems crop up once more yet again. E.g Jones injures himself early in the season and/or makes a catastrophic error within the first month prompting yet another debate on the Caf with some saying he should have been sold ages ago and others insisting he's a good player if he could just stay fit. Similar arguments are made over Smalling and Young. Rojo makes several red card challenges. Pogba looks class one moment and can't be arsed the next. Basically every complaint we've had for the last few years resurfaces.
  • Ole gone by Christmas :(. Major fan unrest this time aimed at the board and not Ole.
  • Finish anywhere between 5th and 8th

dove

If we don't sign anyone else then it's really difficult to see us finishing above 6th.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
4th. Barring a massive collapse from Spurs I think it's extremely unrealistic to get anywhere near Liverpool, City or even Spurs (who should have finished 3rd quite comfortably last season IMO).

Realistic expectation:

• The club get off to a good start due to good fitness levels and the youngsters starting strongly.
  • We play good counter attacking football with some flair and lots of energy
  • We lack an out and out goalscorer but goals are shared evenly throughout the team again which makes up for it.
  • Performances drop off after a few months and our lack of quality in squad depth harms us but we pick up points here and there with strong determination and by seeing some of the harder games out.
  • we finish the season just about getting top 4/challenging for a cup final.

Pessimistic prediction :nervous::

• we start the season poorly, players seems bewildered and have no sense of leadership or accountability.
  • The usual problems crop up once more yet again. E.g Jones injures himself early in the season and/or makes a catastrophic error within the first month prompting yet another debate on the Caf with some saying he should have been sold ages ago and others insisting he's a good player if he could just stay fit. Similar arguments are made over Smalling and Young. Rojo makes several red card challenges. Pogba looks class one moment and can't be arsed the next. Basically every complaint we've had for the last few years resurfaces.
  • Ole gone by Christmas :(. Major fan unrest this time aimed at the board and not Ole.
  • Finish anyway between 5th and 8th
If that happens I will just start believing that we have some remarkably thick players in our ranks. The bewildered excuse seems to been around for every season since Sir Alex left.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dunno bout you lot but I'm expecting the quadruple....

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We are significantly weaker than last season at the start of this one.

Arguably our best player last season has left (Herrera).

Our goalkeeper finished last season with a major loss of form and confidence and still hasn’t resolved his contract talks.

Our stuttering central defense has not been strengthened.

We are still hoping, praying, waiting for the likes of Sanchez, Martial and Rashford to produce a consistent run of goal scoring form.

We still have the Paul Pogba circus at the centre of our team.

The only glimmer of hope lies with our young players, maybe Chong, Greenwood, Garner or Gomes emerge as real players this season. Or maybe James and Wan Bissaka deliver something special.

We won’t even be close to top 4 and Ole will be under pressure from the start and will be sacked in early 2020.

lsd

The Oracle
Can genuinely see us even struggle to finish in the top 8 if our form from last season is anything to come by anyone banking on our players showing miraculous improvement to save face for this horrific window is in for a big disappointment

That's the spirit

Sp00ks11

I think now we all know for sure this club doesn't care or even want to get back to being a top team. We have done very little if anything to even close the gap on the teams above us in the league.

Not to mention the real elite teams of this world, like Barcelona, Juventus, Real Madrid are all investing heavily. They are the teams we should be closing the gap on. I kept saying it at the end of last season but Europa League really is our level, playing any of the big boys in the champions League is always embarrassing for us.

sawduck

Supports
celtic
We still have so much deadwood at this club and our youngsters will be under pressure, they are talented and if they can handle the pressure well then maybe we can finish 4th. If not our deadwood will be lucky to get us into top 6

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Top 3, potentially 2nd for me
Purely out of interest is this where you would expect the current team to finish? However, if the end result is significantly worse (e.g. out of the Champions League places) would you therefore see this as a significant underachievement?

snowkarl

Top 3, potentially 2nd for me
Can I just ask why you think this is realistic?

Our squad is at best as strong as last years, but realistically weaker (Matic older, Young older, losing Lukaku) while Arsenal and Spurs are making huge efforts to strengthen, even Chelsea have had a better window than us (while being under a registration ban mind you...) and considering how poorly we performed last year I just don't understand where these optimistic predictions are coming from.

I think we should all support the team however it looks come the new season, but we've not done nearly enough this window despite our manager and CEO's big talk of clearouts and transfer magic and there's no reason to think we'll get any more points than we did last year.

Red_Aaron

Purely out of interest is this where you would expect the current team to finish? However, if the end result is significantly worse (e.g. out of the Champions League places) would you therefore see this as a significant underachievement?
I think out of the champions league places would be underachievement yes but not necessarily a terminal one. I think at this point in time we're in better shape than arsenal and Chelsea despite what the doom merchants on here would have you believe.

The main thing for me though is that it's clear Ole is intent on putting a better structure in place and sticking to a playing and a cultural principle that goes beyond the short termism which has plagued the club since we pulled the plug on Dave. If I can see a continued pursuit of this principle despite falling short I'll still be relatively content because I believe the current approach is the correct one and it will bear fruit in future seasons

I think we've got a great bunch of youngsters and if we hold on to pogba and focus his mind (perhaps with a promise of a move next summer) I see no reason we can't push spurs for 3rd and with a bit of luck maybe challenge for second as I can't see the scousers amassing 90+ points again

I'm an optimist though, I remember the great performances we produced under early Ole and choose to believe we're capable of producing them more often than not. I understand that the default position on here is that all the good football was a pure fluke and the bad games are the only thing that holds relevance.

Thanks for the question btw I expected a stream of abuse and laughing smilies for daring to be positive about my team!

Red_Aaron

Can I just ask why you think this is realistic?

Our squad is at best as strong as last years, but realistically weaker (Matic older, Young older, losing Lukaku) while Arsenal and Spurs are making huge efforts to strengthen, even Chelsea have had a better window than us (while being under a registration ban mind you...) and considering how poorly we performed last year I just don't understand where these optimistic predictions are coming from.

I think we should all support the team however it looks come the new season, but we've not done nearly enough this window despite our manager and CEO's big talk of clearouts and transfer magic and there's no reason to think we'll get any more points than we did last year.
Chelsea have lost the best player in the league, one who has papered over cracks for several seasons and hired a huge gamble for a manger. Keeping CHO was a good move but its madness to think he'll be a big player next year, I expect he'll have a good breakthrough season but like most young players will regularly flatter to deceive. What else did they do - make kovacic permanent? I saw nothing last season to suggest he can be a difference maker
Their starting forward could well be Tammy Abraham!

Arsenal currently have their club captain on strike. Have lost Ramsey who was their best player second half of last season, a season where once again they showed their lack of backbone away from home. One of the biggest issues for me though is the loan of ceballos, good player sure but for a club like arsenal to be loaning players (with no option to buy) rings alarm bells. Are they madrids feeder club now? Do you think this guy will give his all for the arsenal cause when he knows he's only there to get game time and next year he can go back to where he really wants to be. I think it's a shocking statement for a club of arsenal's size.

spurs having singed what 1 player? Arsenal's might get pepe but it hasn't happened as yet and if we go off paper speculation United could well bring in maguire, bruno and dybala before the season starts! :wenger:

PoTMS

As it is, 6th. Decent run in the Europa and FA Cup before losing to better opposition.

humdinger

We still have time to do a bit of jiggery pokery with the squad. If so - 3rd. If not...dunno. But it won’t be a good season at all.

Red Royal

If no more signings then I think anything could happen... from mid table embarrassment to actually challenging in the top 2 spots. If we can get the spirit right in the squad, AWB gcemets his spot and 1 or 2 kids step up we could be good. IF we can get past Chelski in our 1st fixture we could possibly go on a long run like we did when Ole took over.
Of course I'd like a few extra signings, SMS, Bruno, Maguire - whoever. Just when that window slams shut; you have to have hopes and dreams. You have to back the boys otherwise whats the point in it all!

Edy2

3rd this season. Title challenge to march/april the season after.

AJ Bullet

4th is realistically probably the best we can hope for if everything goes our way, Pogba stays and stays interested, youth surprise us in development, Rashford and Martial bang in 15ish goals each, Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs have a bad season, we get in a couple of talented players etc etc.

More likely it will be another up and down season and can see us finishing just outside the top 4, a lot of anger towards the board if signings dont come in in the next 10 days, protests, Ole maybe gone, Pogba off next summer.

lsd

The Oracle
Good attacking football and top four with ease and a lot of positivity for the next season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Third behind Manchester City and Liverpool. I believe that we will just finish above Tottenham.
The main objective has to be to play like they ought to for United and our supporters. To make OT a place where the opposition fears and to reduce the points delta to the champions to single figures.