Next Season Expectations

AlwaysRed66

How the mighty have fallen. People saying we will struggle to make top 4 without any signings, which I agree with.

Can you imagine the riot we would have had on these boards 10 years ago if we even suggested that. The Glazers have done a great job sinking us.

markhughes

I'm actually confident that we will do well this season and I'm looking forward to seeing if the youngsters can make an impression.

It would be nice to bring in one or two more however I think signings we have made plus the academy lads will have a positive impact on our league position.

I'm weirdly excited for this season for the first time in a few years.

AJ Bullet

How the mighty have fallen. People saying we will struggle to make top 4 without any signings, which I agree with.

Can you imagine the riot we would have had on these boards 10 years ago if we even suggested that. The Glazers have done a great job sinking us.
Its sad that now the expectations have lowered to 3rd meaning success, used to be 1st was the target now we are just like Arsene's Arsenal of the last decade. Cant even compete at the top level any more.

wolvored

I think the writing was on the wall how this transfer window would go down, when Young Mata and especially a 5 year contract to Jones was given out. The fact Rashford signed a massive contract for his age, while being an average goalscorer and now its being mentioned Lingard will get a better paid contract, means its looking like we are trying to do things on the cheap. Longstaff was the plan and we thought £25 million would get him. Maguire seems to be a smokescreen as if we are only £10 million apart from Liecesters valuation, why wont the owners sanction it? Fernandez SMS etc are probably the same. Anybody we bring in now will take the first 6-7 games to get acclimatised to ole's tactics, setup, way of playing etc.

We could finish anywhere from 3rd to 7th imo depending how Ole can use the youth players as well. so far its looked good, but so did VG first pre season.

Got a funny feeling we might be sold in the next 12 months.

Stubble

Without a couple more signings and the required clear out... 6th.

ManchesterYoda

This is where we should have finished, for the past 6 seasons, based on our average team performance rating for each game.

13/14: 6th
14/15: 4th
15/16: 10th
16/17: 4th/5th
17/18: 3rd
18/19: 11th/12th

We are starting this season with the same manager as last season. The end of last season was atrocious. We haven't done anything to rectify the main problems of our team. Because of this, I think it will be our worst season since Ferguson retired. 8th or worse.

El K2k

I think with no further additions to the squad, 5th is the realistic expectation. City, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will be the Top 4 and we end up 5th. I don't see Chelsea finishing above us.

Alabaster Codify7

This is where we should have finished, for the past 6 seasons, based on our average team performance rating for each game.

We are starting this season with the same manager as last season. The end of last season was atrocious. We haven't done anything to rectify the main problems of our team. Because of this, I think it will be our worst season since Ferguson retired. 8th or worse.

Yeah, no optimism from me at all unfortunately.

Same players going through the motions. I think the only difference will be conceding less goals (even without Maguire), but we'll still struggle to score bigtime. Pogba will down tools again around Christmas if he stays. Rashford will surprise some fans in negative fashion by scoring around 15 all season in all competitions.

Denis79

Think we'll finish 4th or 5th. Minimum expectations for me is 6th place.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This Summer was a real opportunity for the club to make a statement of intent, a time to show some real commitment to backing the new manager, resolving some of the problems created under previous managers, and getting us back to where we want to be.

We've signed a RB and a prospect, and achieved absolutely nothing else on the to do list.
Ole has been absolutely failed by the board.

We will have to go into next season with almost the exact same squad as we had last season, so why would you hope for a better outcome?
The same players that were humiliated at Everton and were beaten at home to Cardiff, and weren't good enough to beat Huddersfield will still be in our first XI next season.

I really did want to believe that the club had turned a corner, but actions speak louder than words, and there's been precious little action, so my hope and expectation has to be reviewed, without a new CB and new MF I no longer think we can reach the top 4, I think we'll finish either 5th or 6th again at best.

WireMUFC

We have signed Wan Bissaka. The main problem in our team was not having a right back and it now looks like we have the best one in the league (I know their is a lot more issues but to say we haven’t addressed any is wrong)

I understand what you’re saying but Ole will have had a full pre-season to get across what he wants from these players.

He came in last year at one of the lowest points in recent history and turned it completely around which of course we tailed off towards the end of the season. But with a full pre-season I’m excited to see how we get on.

I’m optimistic about the new season if we sign a couple more players, especially if we get Maguire I believe he will transform our defence I rate him that highly, as will Wan-Bissaka.

I think our season depends on 2 quality signings coming in, if we can get them in then anything can happen.

Seen a lot of positives in pre-season from the lads (I know it’s only pre-season please don’t try and lecture me) but you can see signs of how he wants us to play.

4th at the very minimum, Chelsea won’t be the same without Hazard, and Arsenal are Arsenal.

This is not me defending the parasites which are the glazers and Woodward we know what they’re all about. Like I said it depends on two quality signings for me.

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

Those who are actually looking forward to next season need their heads checked. I hope I'll be proven wrong, but with how things are going we'd be lucky if we manage to finish fourth come May next year.

But really, I could easily see us finish sixth or seventh. I have very little faith with our senior players and I don't think the youngsters are ready just yet.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm actually confident that we will do well this season and I'm looking forward to seeing if the youngsters can make an impression.

It would be nice to bring in one or two more however I think signings we have made plus the academy lads will have a positive impact on our league position.

I'm weirdly excited for this season for the first time in a few years.
How dare you be optimistic about our season. Dont you know we are supposed to keep our expectations as low as possible so that we won't be disappointed???

Gasolin

How dare you be optimistic about our season. Dont you know we are supposed to keep our expectations as low as possible so that we won't be disappointed???
I don't know man, but a clear identity from the manager, the staff to the players does wonders for confidence. I believe in the team again. And maybe some of the youngsters are going to step up seriously. Yes, I am looking at you guys, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Greenwood... I thought Gomes wouldn't make it given the lack of chances but maybe he will turn things around. And a focused Pogba is going to be very interesting.

Ranger2d

United setting themselves up for a horrible season. if Ole thinks signing just AWB and Barry Allen is the answer to his challenges, he's deluded.. This ''build the team around Pogba'' school of thought is just so unreasonable. Why not have more than 1 creator?
We’re actually a Pogba injury away from being out of the top 6 and a
free role is not good for Pogba. He needs to be given specific responsibilities like for France or Juve, otherwise he’ll get complacent

SaintMuppet

We are significantly weaker than last season at the start of this one.

Arguably our best player last season has left (Herrera).

Our goalkeeper finished last season with a major loss of form and confidence and still hasn’t resolved his contract talks.

Our stuttering central defense has not been strengthened.

We are still hoping, praying, waiting for the likes of Sanchez, Martial and Rashford to produce a consistent run of goal scoring form.

We still have the Paul Pogba circus at the centre of our team.

The only glimmer of hope lies with our young players, maybe Chong, Greenwood, Garner or Gomes emerge as real players this season. Or maybe James and Wan Bissaka deliver something special.

We won’t even be close to top 4 and Ole will be under pressure from the start and will be sacked in early 2020.
Bet you are really fun at parties......

Pavl3n

We have signed Wan Bissaka. The main problem in our team was not having a right back and it now looks like we have the best one in the league (I know their is a lot more issues but to say we haven’t addressed any is wrong)

I understand what you’re saying but Ole will have had a full pre-season to get across what he wants from these players.

He came in last year at one of the lowest points in recent history and turned it completely around which of course we tailed off towards the end of the season. But with a full pre-season I’m excited to see how we get on.

I’m optimistic about the new season if we sign a couple more players, especially if we get Maguire I believe he will transform our defence I rate him that highly, as will Wan-Bissaka.

I think our season depends on 2 quality signings coming in, if we can get them in then anything can happen.

Seen a lot of positives in pre-season from the lads (I know it’s only pre-season please don’t try and lecture me) but you can see signs of how he wants us to play.

4th at the very minimum, Chelsea won’t be the same without Hazard, and Arsenal are Arsenal.

This is not me defending the parasites which are the glazers and Woodward we know what they’re all about. Like I said it depends on two quality signings for me.
That's why I think we'll sneak in top 4, but not only. I really hope having a full pre season, Ole would be able to get his message across and replicate the form of the beginning of the year.

I am pretty certain we won't bring anyone else in. However I am still positive in the squad we have, even though, as you say, two quality signings would change a lot the perspective.

My hopes lie in the four kids coming through - Garner, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong.
If they manage to rack 10-15 appearances each through the season and live up to the hype, then Ole could surprise a lot of the non believers.
And of course AWB - having real quality RB, who could push forward and defend well, could easily swing the goal difference from -5 to 5+.

redshaw

Still some player in and outs yet to be certain and that goes for teams around us. Should Pogba go and we get in for example Savic and Bruno, that's quite a transformation without any playing time together.

Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Wolves are ready to take us on should we be down there.

Feels like we're on a knife edge, especially with Ole but I'm optimistic we can get 4th or even 3rd. Could be one of those seasons where Pep/Abu Dhabi keep going and everyone else struggles.

Ultimately with Bissaka and some decent training, clear heads and focus for the likes of Martial hopefully, players like ready Greenwood to help, Ole can steer the team forwards. I'm at least more confident things have a better chance of not unraveling by Christmas.

Last edited:

Denis79

Yup, a big "feck you" to the fans.
Still thinking we'll sign someone before the window closes but Ole has not been backed either way. Atleast if it goes sour the fans won't blame the manager this time. Pressure is on our owners and Woodward now. Think more and more fans are opening their eyes to the real problems at the club.

RkkMan

My exact same feeling unfortunately
It's good to see people hoping the player's attitudes could possibly steer us to a good season but truth of the matter is that quality is what sustains a team over the season not attitude with no quality the usual problems will eventually manifest themselves and people will realize this team has more problems than they think. It could all change of course if we get at least two new players in in the next 10 days

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think expecting us to finish 8th is just too pessimistic.
While expecting us to finish 2nd or 3rd is too optimistic.

I think We'll float around 4th and 5th.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Still thinking we'll sign someone before the window closes but Ole has not been backed either way. Atleast if it goes sour the fans won't blame the manager this time. Pressure is on our owners and Woodward now. Think more and more fans are opening their eyes to the real problems at the club.
My post was more about not trimming the squad by selling pointless players than necessarily buying new ones. I hoped but never seriously expected for 4-6 new players.

M16Red

Title challenge and I think like this every season.

You lot are a bunch of remainers.