Next Season Expectations

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Without a proactive type of striker, it's difficult to make a solid season for any top club.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Castia

Looks like we’re done with transfers.

The defence looks better but on the whole it’s not been a great window. We start the season without a proper goal scorer and the midfield is a complete mess.

Will struggle for top 4 in my opinion.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
6th at best could be worse

RkkMan

5th/6th place at best wouldn't shock me if it's lower cause the likes of Everton/Wolves/Leicester/West Ham could all finish above us
Our lack of quality in midfield is going to seriously bite us in the behind big time

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
As things stand, 6th again. Could slip a position if Leicester have a good season.

While I am happy that we've rectified the holes in our defence, we still lack goals in the squad. I can really see us struggling for them like we did under van Gaal where we scored 49 but conceded only 35. We'll keep a tight ship at the back but expecting Rashford, Martial, Greenwood to suddenly step up and score lot of goals for us is pure fantasy especially with no creativity behind them save for Pogba, who himself is pretty inconsistent.

Here's a fact for you. Lukaku had his worst PL season ever with us last time around, where he could only muster 12 PL goals. Rashford in his best ever PL tally has 10, with Martial at 11... Yet, we're about to enter a new season not only without a new striker but also getting rid of most reliable goalscorer in the squad.

It just boggles my mind how many fans cannot see that. Ideally, we should have added a goalscoring winger to make the attack more potent i.e. assuming Lukaku would be staying. Once, he said he wanted to leave we should've lined up a replacement striker. We did neither, it's really sad to see how the club is being run.

Last edited:

Terminator

5th if we get lucky or 6th. The state of the midfield and attack is egregious.

JoaquinJoaquin

Some of the people saying we are getting 4th are just trying to speak it into existence it feels like.

MUFC OK

Looking at the signing weve made this summer, it's actually very worrying. Our midfield was dominated time and again last season with Herrera in addition to what we have now. Without him how do we expect that to change?

Games like the 4-0 v Everton. Absolutely unforgivable, yet wheres the reaction? We sign two good english defenders at an absolute premium and a championship winger. We have a weaker squad than last season. We couldn't score at home against cardiff, or beat huddersfield away which of the personnel we have brought in will help change this? Worst window since the Fellaini one in the circumstances, remember we had just come off the back of winning the league then.

We'll finish 7th, with Everton beating us to 6th.

MUFC OK

5th/6th place at best wouldn't shock me if it's lower cause the likes of Everton/Wolves/Leicester/West Ham could all finish above us
Our lack of quality in midfield is going to seriously bite us in the behind big time
Its unconscionable not to strengthen that midfield.

Raw

Decided to compare our squad with the other top 4 rivals (Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea).

Attack: Arsenal > Spurs > Chelsea = United
Midfield: Spurs > Chelsea > Arsenal = United
Defence: United = Spurs > Chelsea > Arsenal

Maybe being pessimistic and who knows how the new transfers will bed in, but our midfield and attack just don't seem good enough. Bring in a DM and #10 and we should look a lot stronger, but no way that's happening at this point.

Blind pew

I just want United to give their all in a game. We're going to lose some, yes. I've always said I don't mind losing as long as the other side deserved their victory. Too often last season, United got beat off teams that they really, shouldn't. At least make the other side really really graft for those points and come off the pitch absolutely shattered. We've been getting beat far too easy.

JoaquinJoaquin

Looking at the signing weve made this summer, it's actually very worrying. Our midfield was dominated time and again last season with Herrera in addition to what we have now. Without him how do we expect that to change?

Games like the 4-0 v Everton. Absolutely unforgivable, yet wheres the reaction? We sign two good english defenders at an absolute premium and a championship winger. We have a weaker squad than last season. We couldn't score at home against cardiff, or beat huddersfield away which of the personnel we have brought in will help change this? Worst window since the Fellaini one in the circumstances, remember we had just come off the back of winning the league then.

We'll finish 7th, with Everton beating us to 6th.
We have a manager who is slightly deluded in that 'traditions' of the club are going to lead to success, and by playing the likes of Pereira and Lingard this instills these traditions. It's a complete farce.

AJ Bullet

So it looks like no more ins, a mini-rebuild of the defense and thats about it. Assuming Lukaku goes I guess we have to hope that Rashford and Martial step up in the goals department, that is possible but the problems behind in midfield need a lot more hoping and praying. Pogba is somehow still here but doesnt want to be, he will be in for a world of abuse again if things dont go well and he may down tools anyway before that if things start going bad, McTominay/Fred/Matic need to chip in with some goals/assists to help the front line if we are going to progress and Mata/Lingard need to find a purple patch from somewhere. Christ we still have Sanchez knocking about the place too, totally forgot, maybe the summer has helped him get fit and can stay fit for a decent spell to make a difference.

Its not looking as settled as one would hope going into a new season with the Lukaku shambles playing out still in the back ground which will rumble on into the season as well till potentially end of August.

I think if everything goes our way the absolute ceiling is 4th, which looking at today would be a major achievement by Ole, a poor start however with tough opening couple of fixtures of Chelsea and Wolves and we will be struggling for 6th, maybe lower if things really go off the rails, which is possible. We really need a good start to get some good vibes going again. Really not sure what to expect from this season maybe the youngsters will come through and save us with Greenwood/Gomes/Chong breaking out into one or two of them being something really special.

Siorac

Same old.

Strengthening the defence means little as at the same we let allowed the midfield to deteriorate further. I expect disjointed play, lack of creativity, and 5th or 6th place in the end.

DownRiver

Out of the top 4. Pogba will leave due to this and we will encounter problems of top players not wanting to play for us.

....and the cycle continues.

Von Mistelroum

Seems we're buying no more players. We'll have a good defence next season if it gels , but at least 4 teams above us should have more than enough strength in attack to deal with that. Outside of defence we are essentially toothless. Lukaku is as good as gon , I've no faith in our attacking options and our midfield is not good with Pogba, horrendous without him.

Honest expectations: a long and depressing season.

Godfather

Seems we're buying no more players. We'll have a good defence next season if it gels , but at least 4 teams above us should have more than enough strength in attack to deal with that. Outside of defence we are essentially toothless. Lukaku is as good as gon , I've no faith in our attacking options and our midfield is not good with Pogba, horrendous without him.

Honest expectations: a long and depressing season.
I feel the same and it's not going to get much better if we fail to get into the CL again.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
6th. We'll concede less but it'll still be the same boring shite attacking-wise. Basically the forwards will stand there and wait to see if Pogba fancies it today or not.

Infra-red

Fourth place looks unlikely. If Solskjaer can get the players to start playing for him (most of them seemed to down tools in about February) then we should just about maintain top 6. I expect the push from Everton/Leicester/Wolves to be pretty strong, though.

As for the top of the table/CL, it's another season of us watching on, hoping City beat Liverpool to the big trophies.

Eddy_JukeZ

We should still get top 4.

Chelsea are much worse without Hazard and they have a new manager too.

But I've no clue what to expect really. Could see 6th again.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
6th-8th with fans asking for Ole to be sacked in November and him actually getting the boot in January. This is the lowest I have felt in terms of expectations since I don't even know when. I just struggle to find a scenario where this goes well for us which is just disheartening

Last edited:

Cypriot

Outside the top 4 seems a certainty now. We are better defensively than last season for sure but the teams ahead of us have strengthened and have moved even further away in my opinion. Not getting a couple of good midfielders in will haunt us and unfortunately could be Ole's undoing.

Enfant terrible

I will not measure the success of this season with the position we finish in. I can definitely see some positive changes in the club policy, and I can finally see a short-term and a longterm plan. Giving City, Lpool, Spurs, Chelsea, and Arsenal a run for their money is what I expect out of this season. Also, I hope we'll rediscover our balls and someone (prob Maguire) will profile himself as a leader.

Snafu17

I can only see us getting top 4 if some of our players improve massively or if at least one of the other top 6 clubs has a disastrous season.

Either way the club seems too have bought into the OGS's way of thinking for this window but I don't see them supporting him if we fail te get top 4 which, considering our squad, they would need to do, if there's any hope on his idea/plan working. Anything else means we've just wasted another summer.

Slysi17

Right now I'm expecting to be 5/6th. We have no doubt improved the defence. I don't know how good Lindelof is - still wonder if he only looked good in comparison to the dross around him. But either way Maguire and Wan-Bissaka look tremendous additions.

But we've completely neglected the midfield. Pogba doesn't want to be here and Matic is so far beyond his best, which may not have been good enough or fitted Oles play style anyway. The quality and depth of that midfield is frightening. Nowhere near good enough. Honestly, looking at the midfield - we're mid table.

And there is no one in the attack that can be prolific - in fact nevermind prolific - no one is reliable, consistent, talented or driven enough.

The more I consider our squad 6th is about right for us.
I am honestly expecting worse than that with no new signings before the window shuts. I think we will fall out of the top six as our midfield and attack is pathetic.

Noc-Z

ffs
I am honestly expecting worse than that with no new signings before the window shuts. I think we will fall out of the top six as our midfield and attack is pathetic.
You're right. Defence aside, we're mid table. And even defence wise, because we were incapable of signing Maguire reasonably quickly, he hasn't kicked a ball for us. He should have been on tour.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I honestly don't care, since we're not making 4th. The only thing I want to see from this season is a freshness to the team. Attack, take chances and perhaps most importantly: play the kids. I don't want to see Mata and Lingard stinking up the place yet again. Let's see Tuanzebe, McTominay, James, Gomes and Greenwood starting most weeks. Let's integrate Garner and Laird. Why not?

That's all I want to see. It's not a lot to ask from a club that used to be the best in the world. Zero expectations, I just want to enjoy watching us again.

Oliver_

Top 8 if Lukaku leaves and sign no one
Top 6 if Lukaku stays or if we can replace him
Top 4 If we can get someone decent in MF like Fernandes, Eriksen or Dybala

Thisistheone

I honestly don't care, since we're not making 4th. The only thing I want to see from this season is a freshness to the team. Attack, take chances and perhaps most importantly: play the kids. I don't want to see Mata and Lingard stinking up the place yet again. Let's see Tuanzebe, McTominay, James, Gomes and Greenwood starting most weeks. Let's integrate Garner and Laird. Why not?

That's all I want to see. It's not a lot to ask from a club that used to be the best in the world. Zero expectations, I just want to enjoy watching us again.
Pretty much this.

Betson

Squad as is now is not top 4 material, defense looks improved which might consolidate our top 6 position.

But unfortunately that is about the limit of our ambition these days.

flappyjay

6th
Out of Europa when we encounter a decent team.

Obviously the optimist in me hopes Martial and Rashford pull off 40 goals between themselves, and lingard finds a form similar to when he scored 13 goals