Next United manager 2020/21 edition

KD6-3.7

Have to go for Nagelsmann I think.

Losing out on Tuchel, Poch and Nagelsmann when all three were available would be a pretty big mistake. Atleast have to start sounding him out and preparing for the move.

Anyway, lets see, we might still have a good end to the season. Ole has been a boom / bust type manager for some reason - it's either really good stretch of results or total collapse.
He always manages to save himself just as the pressure comes to the boil. I don’t dislike Ole but I’m 100% certain we will never win the league or CL under him even if we gave him another five seasons and couple of 100 million to spend.

I’d love to see us take a risk on someone like Nagelsmann but I’ve seen nothing from this ownership to suggest they’d ever do that, whenever Ole does go we are most likely to appoint another in the mould of Mourinho/Van Gaal where they’d disguise it as experience but definitely won’t be an exciting appointment.

MoskvaRed

Don't think any of them take this team above second.
Maybe not but I’d expect to see United at least compete under some of those names. Just because our neighbours have a near perfect set up doesn’t mean we have to settle for Mr. Smiley ex-supersub with no managerial pedigree.

Foxbatt

How many games in the PL did we win that we were not expected to win? How many games did we not win that we were expected to win?

Roboc7

I’m still in the camp that we need a top quality assistant to run training and tactics, while retaining Ole as head coach. I think he’s done a lot behind the scenes that’s taken for granted by fans that just watch games, and his man management is clearly of the highest level. I’d still like him to be involved, I think he’s a hugely positive influence.
He hasn’t done loads behind the scenes,
Ole’s responsibility is the first team so if he’s not good enough to do that then there’s no need for him to be here.

Counterfactual

People don't seem to credit Ole with learning on the job. Surely managing Manchester United for over two years (interim + permanent) means he's learned a thing or two by now. Anyone brought in to replace him faces the steep learning curve of being the Manchester United manager (David Moyes says hi). Perhaps if we had a DoF and made the manager just a "coach", the transition process would be easier, but we don't.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
if Man Utd can give Marcelo Bielsa the control he wants on the team, then may be able to convince him make the switch at end of the season. However he is old so not sure how long he will continue.

Mainoldo

if Man Utd can give Marcelo Bielsa the control he wants on the team, then may be able to convince him make the switch at end of the season. However he is old so not sure how long he will continue.
12 months contract ready for Poch to finally take over

kerryman

Some of the names being thrown around are hilarious. Allegri? Potter? You're all mad.

Ancelloti or Nagelsmann are the only real canditates at this point, both representing very different solutions that might work, but in reality we'd still have many of the same problems and people on here would be calling for their heads in no time.

No idea why getting to position we're at, at the stage we did brought out Solskjaer's conservatism. It's unfortunate. His seemimg reluctance to utilise the squad and make timely subs is frustrating and is a mark against him. As it stands we're on a poor run of form and in 2nd place. Replacing him with Allegri or Potter at this point would be catastrophic. Hahahaha.
Can't believe we've never really considered Ancelloti over Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and now Ole. He's a vastly experienced and successful manager and I'm sure we'd be doing better with him at the helm. He's doing a really nice job at Everton.

redrobed

Careful - I was laughed at on here for suggesting we bring in Ancelloti as Ole’s assistant.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Rodgers would be my choice now but it would be risky.
I expect to get stick for it but I agree. He's certainly worthy of consideration after the jobs he did at Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic & now Leicester.
All of his teams played good football and were were organised.

Foxbatt

Can't believe we've never really considered Ancelloti over Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and now Ole. He's a vastly experienced and successful manager and I'm sure we'd be doing better with him at the helm. He's doing a really nice job at Everton.
We did consider Ancelloti over Moyes. It was too late as Carlo has already given his word to Real Madrid. SAF did approach him but because he has given his word he had to turn United down.

sdb4884

The thought of Ole at the helm at the start of another campaign is very worrying. Can we throw a boatload of money at Simeone ? or is he just not considered a "United" type. On the other hand why would he leave the likely La Liga champions.

Foxbatt

Get someone whose club plays food football. A few around in Germany too. They will take a season at least to get them to play the way they want to play as now they have no discipline in how we play. It looks like a free for all now. Woodward is to blame too but he should get the scouting system sorted out. There plenty of good players around that is not over the 100 million mark. around the mid 50s or 60s million mark.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Rodgers would be my choice now but it would be risky.
Rodgers seems to always have his teams playing good football but his teams always seem to have a weak mentality and are bottlers. It happened with Liverpool and it happened last season with Leicester and looks like the wheels are slowly starting to come off this season, where they have only won 5 of their last 12 games in all competitions, not to mention getting knocked out of the EL by Slavia Prague is absolutely shocking.

It doesn't look like he can instil the right mind set into his teams at the crucial stages of the season, and the pressure, mentality requirements and expectations at Man United would be more than he has ever experienced. The signs don't suggest that he would be the man to take the team to the next level. Granted it doesn't look like Ole is either, but I don't think Rodgers is the answer at all.

Greck

if we get Nagelsmann I'm certain he'd be a success (pure opinion). His track record of improving teams reads like a videogame story mode. Maybe it's because I haven't looked deeper but RB being this relevant in Europe blows my mind

Foxbatt

For people who can watch the Bundesliga, how good is Nagelsmann?

croadyman

I have to laugh at some of the mangers that people on this forum are suggesting. How has Nagelmann become such a genius? Based on what? He's managing in a one-team league? His team were all over the place against Liverpool and us. He's the shiny new toy, the suggestion put forward by the media, look at the reality.
We need a proven WC manager who has done it all. Ollie has improved us up to a level, but we need Ancelotti to win titles. Look at his CV. He's not a busted flush like Jose or Van Gael, who were too stubborn to change with the times; look at the job he's doing at Everton. He would come in seamlessly and move us up to the next level. He has done it in all in the big leagues, with all the big clubs.
Where did Potter come from? He's managing Brighton in a relegation battle; he's done no better than Chris Hughton.
Nagalmann has the potential to get to the level, but we don't need potential at this stage; we need a manager who won't be learning on the job and can handle the pressure.
Ollie has moved us forward, steadied the ship, and reorganised the Academy, making the club feel united again to the fans. On the negative side, he has shown naivety with his decision making, far too loyal to some players. Some of his decisions like not giving Rashford and Bruno a rest, not taking off Fred against PSG, not dropping De Gea and Lindelof, not having competition for Wan Bisska will cost him dearly. The biggest weakness of Ollie and his staff is the lack of experience, which has shown far too often. I'd love to be proved wrong as he's such a gentleman, but football is a cruel game.
I believe Carlo Ancelotti is the only man if we are replacing Ollie.
Hate to break it to you but think the Ancelotti ship sailed back in 2013 when he really should have been "The Chosen One"

copen1945

It really should be Guardiola. Only a proper club deserves him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hate to break it to you but think the Ancelotti ship sailed back in 2013 when he really should have been "The Chosen One"
Ancelotti was sacked at Bayern after he lost the dressing room due to the training sessions being of a poor standard according to German outlet Kicker.

Robben, Ribery, Neuer, Muller, Hummels and Boateng all took their grievances to the Bayern hierarchy at the time and were even conducting their own training sessions in secrecy behind Ancelotti's back according to German outlet Kicker.

el3mel

Ancelotti was sacked at Bayern after he lost the dressing room due to the training sessions being of a poor standard according to German outlet Kicker.

Robben, Ribery, Neuer, Muller, Hummels and Boateng all took their grievances to the Bayern hierarchy at the time and were even conducting their own training sessions in secrecy behind Ancelotti's back according to German outlet Kicker.
Carlo is way past his prime and his last two stints at both Bayern and Napoli have been a big failure. The fact he had to step down to manage Everton means no other big club is interested in his services anymore.

Of course a great manager in general and he has been doing very well with Everton but the ship has sailed for him.

Would have been great back in 2013 though.

Jibbs

Rúben Amorim will be just as great Bruno Ferandes for us. I think.we should seriously consider him. He is sharp, quick witted and has that fighting spirit.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rúben Amorim will be just as great Bruno Ferandes for us. I think.we should seriously consider him. He is sharp, quick witted and has that fighting spirit.
He's definitely someone to keep a eye on. Plays a 3-4-3 formation and looks to overload the opposition area in a very attack minded approach. SCP shelled out 10m to sign him too.

Bearded One

We did consider Ancelloti over Moyes. It was too late as Carlo has already given his word to Real Madrid. SAF did approach him but because he has given his word he had to turn United down.
Yes you are correct. My only issue with Ancelotti is that he may not be the guy to take us to the desired place. He is doing great at Everton alright but remember that expectations are quite different here.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
He's done a pretty decent job at Ajax, no? His achievements look impressive and they are easy on the eye. Won the double in 2018/19 and got them to the Champions League semis for the first time since 1995. They were really unlucky not to reach the final, too. Only 3 goals shy of matching the all-time goal scoring league record set in 1966/67 of 122. Whenever I've watched them in Europe they've tended to play attacking, entertaining football. Maybe he's at his level, who knows. He's certainly impressed at Ajax, though. Seems a bit strange to argue the opposite? Although it makes a bit more sense if you're a Feyenoord supporter..?
Decent? Yes, but their good CL run was primarily down to class players like Donny, F. De Jong, De Ligt and Ziyech. They did not make it to the knock out stages this year after they sold those players.

Their style of football is exciting and attractive if you have those aforementioned quality players. If you do not, you'll either lose a lot of games naively (see Peter Bosz at Leverkusen) or it becomes dull possession based (F. De Boer, LVG with us) depending on where the quality is lacking.

Domestic achievements with Ajax aren't too impressive nowadays considering their budget and quality academy. The gap between them and others has increased through big transfers (great academy and scouting) and CL money. I don't think there was ever a time in the Eredivisie when one team was as dominant (financially) as they are now. Generally speaking, in Holland the manager isn't as involved with scouting/transfers/academy and Ten Hag certainly hasn't been in charge long enough to affect those areas.

Personally I do rate Ten Hag somewhat, but not enough to want him before he replicates his success' elsewhere. He's good tactically, always has a solid game plan and the way Ajax pressures opponents reminds me of Klopp.

For me when I'm looking to rate a manager, I look at the results relative to how I rate the players.
Let me put it this way: I have more faith in Letsch winning the league over at Ajax than I have in Ten Hag getting to a cup final with Vitesse.

The Feyenoord tag is there for a reason. Just do know that I watch quite a bit of Ajax and am always rooting for them in international competitions. (up to this year's final vs us, that is :devil: )

I think we missed the boat on Tuchel. Letsch is someone to to keep on eye on for the future. Nagelsmann would be the only exciting appointment for me. Having said that I'm still hoping Ole makes top 4 and gets another year.

keithsingleton

This might not go down to well but Rodgers will be on shortlist if Ole goes. What I will say though. Rodgers the better manager.

Mylock

Hate to break it to you but I think the Ancelotti ship sailed back in 2013 when he really should have been "The Chosen One"
You are correct in saying he should have been given the job in 2013 and we paid the price ever since; he is still the best candidate in 2021.

GoldTrafford99

He hasn’t done loads behind the scenes,
Ole’s responsibility is the first team so if he’s not good enough to do that then there’s no need for him to be here.

He has totally changed the whole dynamics of the club and how the academy relates to the first team FFS...

The progress since Ole came in around the whole club has been HUGE... The first team progress has been slow and steady.. but that. was never gonna improve with a huge trajectory given the mess Solskjaer inherited...

I don't think enough United fans are aware of this; certainly on the Caf... but Ole ain't going anywhere.The club are certain he is doing a great job. You only have to look at the young talent signed since Ole came in to know we have as bright a future as any club in Europe... There is no club in Europe who has the level of 17-19 year olds at their club that are comparible to what we currently have at United...

If you think this isn't down to everything Ole put in place since becoming our manager, then I can safely say you do not understand what is and has been going on at our football club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer presented a five-six year plan to Ed Woodward in 2019, saying 'this is how we can win the league by 2024 and stay up there for years to come.

In January of 2021 - not even half way through that plan - United are 2nd in the league, we have signed the best young teen talent around the world and laced them in our academy ... and yet most buffoons on here think that's not good enough. Ha. Ha. You couldn't make this shit up.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
He has totally changed the whole dynamics of the club and how the academy relates to the first team FFS...

The progress since Ole came in around the whole club has been HUGE... The first team progress has been slow and steady.. but that. was never gonna improve with a huge trajectory given the mess Solskjaer inherited...

I don't think enough United fans are aware of this; certainly on the Caf... but Ole ain't going anywhere.The club are certain he is doing a great job. You only have to look at the young talent signed since Ole came in to know we have as bright a future as any club in Europe... There is no club in Europe who has the level of 17-19 year olds at their club that are comparible to what we currently have at United...

If you think this isn't down to everything Ole put in place since becoming our manager, then I can safely say you do not understand what is and has been going on at our football club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer presented a five-six year plan to Ed Woodward in 2019, saying 'this is how we can win the league by 2024 and stay up there for years to come.

In January of 2021 - not even half way through that plan - United are 2nd in the league, we have signed the best young teen talent around the world and laced them in our academy ... and yet most buffoons on here think that's not good enough. Ha. Ha. You couldn't make this shit up.
There's no need to call Caf members that disagree with you "buffoons".

Huge progress is a bit of an overstatement. We've finished 2nd before and won cups here and there. A lot of fans are concerned we won't finish 2nd with our current trajectory and that it's going to be a tight top 4 race. We're all very happy he got things on track initially.

I love the long term thinking and his involvement with youth that previous managers have neglected. There's a lot of staff that deserves credit for the academy as well. At the end of the day Ole's performance as a manager stands or falls by the achievements of the first team. He's not our DoF or head of the academy.

This is the "next united manager" thread. Of course there's going be there's going to be more anti Ole sentiment in here. Tag me or others in one of the million Ole threads if you feel the need to respond to criticisms of Ole.

matt10000

Maybe not but I’d expect to see United at least compete under some of those names. Just because our neighbours have a near perfect set up doesn’t mean we have to settle for Mr. Smiley ex-supersub with no managerial pedigree.
Compete? Are you mad? Have you looked at the table we are second behind a team with unlimited resources (cheat mode).

If someone had told you that we would be second and above LPool in october would you have wanted him out? Stupid question really as your answer will be yes as even if we won the league it would be a one off fluke and a unique season where evryone was crap.

Massive rebuild 78% complete in my eyes and going nicely. Inconsistent at times but look where we are you crazy people.

GoldTrafford99

There's no need to call Caf members that disagree with you "buffoons".

Huge progress is a bit of an overstatement. We've finished 2nd before and won cups here and there. A lot of fans are concerned we won't finish 2nd with our current trajectory and that it's going to be a tight top 4 race. We're all very happy he got things on track initially.

I love the long term thinking and his involvement with youth that previous managers have neglected. There's a lot of staff that deserves credit for the academy as well. At the end of the day Ole's performance as a manager stands or falls by the achievements of the first team. He's not our DoF or head of the academy.

This is the "next united manager" thread. Of course there's going be there's going to be more anti Ole sentiment in here. Tag me or others in one of the million Ole threads if you feel the need to respond to criticisms of Ole.

Please read what I wrote.

I said, specifically: "The first team progress has been slow and steady.. but that. was never gonna improve with a huge trajectory given the mess Solskjaer inherited..."

It's what is going on in the background that is "huge"...

Pep's Suit

We don’t have to have them for 4 years. I think that’s the main problem. Any of those managers for 2 season with the aim of automatically trying to compete... like what Conte did at Inter.

Would bring confidence and standards back to this fanbase.
I think you're absolutely spot-on. You sign Kounde+Sancho then it makes sense to hire a proven-winner like Conte/Allegri for next two seasons.

Lee565

Liverpool imploding this season is probably a bad thing for our club as it has given a false sense of believe amongst the board and fans that we are making progress on last season just because we are ahead of liverpool but we are once again scrapping for a champions league spot and will likely finish 20+ points off the champions just like the last 3 seasons.

GoldTrafford99

Liverpool imploding this season is probably a bad thing for our club as it has given a false sense of believe amongst the board and fans that we are making progress on last season just because we are ahead of liverpool but we are once again scrapping for a champions league spot and will likely finish 20+ points off the champions just like the last 3 seasons.

Nope. I'd say the fact that we are thirteen points up on where we were this time last season gives the fans a REALISTIC sense of belief that we are making progress..

It's not difficult. It's simple maths.