Neymar told ‘don’t go blubbering’

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Shameful. I reckon the defender involved should be banned for as long as Neymar is injured.
:lol: Feck me.

Just watched the video. I’m expecting to see more violent tackles in the U-10s match I’m watching tonight.

Seeing as Neymar was pulling off rainbow flicks afterwards, can we even be certain that’s how he got this injury?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Neymar is petulant, arrogant and play acts a lot, thus the responses, it's not a one game thing this is a build up of the constant way he goes on, it's the same reason you'd see little sympathy for Ronaldo in the same circumstances, if this were Messi or David Silva there'd be a different outook IMO.
Indeed. Lippy, cocky, infuriating when you watch him and are invested in the game (i.e. the other team). I can fully understand how a rival defender will want to rough him up. I would, and it has nothing to do with sportsmanship or entertainment, just your blood boiling.

It's not the skill involved in the showboating but the attitude. Ronaldinho humiliated defenders but never provoked such reactions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Leaving Neymar aside... if you can't win a ball cleanly off an opponent and you have to resort to fouling - I can understand that as the game allows it to an extent and we've all done it, but to champion it and come across as morally superior? feck off.. what a tit.
When you’re making a foul in an order to stop an opponent when you’re not getting a ball cleanly, it’s one thing. When you’re kicking a player because he hurt your pride, it’s another. And it is nothing different to what Keane did to Haaland (aside from the severity of that tackle).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't watch football to see attacking players respect opposition. I want to see rainbow flicks! Besides, if you can't defend a freaking rainbow kick you should be ashamed.

harms

Staff
as is rolling around the ground like you've been shot when you haven't been touched which Neymar does on a regular basis.
How is it relevant? I doubt that anyone likes Neymar’s diving antics, it doesn’t justify kicking a player because he humiliated you with his skill.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Two wrongs don't make a right. Even if you consider Neymar's antics to be poor and his showboating to be disrespectful, it shouldn't give you a reason to hit him. That's poor from the person who said that.

Grande

Hes right, its one of the main reasons why you don't set out to embarrass the opposition by showboating.
Posters will say yeah its up to the defender to stop him, entertainment etc but this is the real world. There's a risk involved.
A rainbow flick will get you kicked.
A bit rich to kick someone and blame it on ‘the real world’ though... I didn’t kick him, no siree Ref, it was The Real World that kicked him. I would never kick anyone myself!

Nico87

Hate the mentality of kicking or manhadling more skilful players and then trying to play the tough guy with these kind of comments. I'm not talking specific to this incident but I always loathed cowards like Ruddock or Vinny Jones who revelled in being overly aggressive in a sport where the emphasis is more on technique because they're were presumedly to scared to actually go into a sport like rugby or any combat sport where they can be aggressive to their hearts content without having to worry about the victim "blubbering" afterwards, but themselves are obviously terrified they will instead retaliate and shatter their self proclaimed "hard man" image.

Grande

Jesus how soft do you want the game to go! So he has to stand back watch him showboat, let him crack on and make him look a fool, let him past so he can go bag himself a hat-trick so everyone can hail Neymar! What world you living in, its football, a mans sport, contact etc. its bad enough you can't tackle anymore, whether you win the ball or not apparently its not allowed if you touch the player. Don't ever remember Best, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc. whinging and moaning about being kicked and they had the likes of Chopper Harris at them constantly.

Man the hell up and just get on with the game, modern football full of absolute fairies
If his ego is so fragile he cant take someone dribbling you without kicking them, I suggest he is the one who should man up. His coach is even worse: When he makes a unnecessary back heel pass, it’s like mocking someone, I understand why my players can’t take that.

Boo fecking hoo ...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Jesus people are getting on like Neymar is getting lumps kicked out of him. And also it's evident some of you never been around footballers before. Literraly at every level, if you showboat, someone will leave one on you. Your team mates in training as well as our ex players did to Ronaldo. Which is well documented. It's part of parcel of the game. Rolling around like a prick trying get a player banned is pathetic and I'd have no problem on leaving one on Neymar the diving prick.

bpet15

Jesus people are getting on like Neymar is getting lumps kicked out of him. And also it's evident some of you never been around footballers before. Literraly at every level, if you showboat, someone will leave one on you. Your team mates in training as well as our ex players did to Ronaldo. Which is well documented. It's part of parcel of the game. Rolling around like a prick trying get a player banned is pathetic and I'd have no problem on leaving one on Neymar the diving prick.
Completely agree. Some on here act as if the game should turn into a circus act with players running around doing rainbows and nutmegs for 90 minutes.

I haven't seen any more examples of players coming in 2 footed and dangerous on Neymar than any other players. Given the fact that he wants to have 500 touches every time he gets the ball, its only natural that he's going to get fouled more than other players. That is just as much on him and his style of play than it is on defenders.

His showboating is what is going to get him done. It is no different in this sport than any other - acting like a circus clown is going to put you at risk. American football, basketball, baseball, rugby, football - whether anyone likes it or not, trying to show up an opponent is a risky proposition.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan it is fun to watch great dribbling, tricks, etc - but in the context of playing at the very highest level, its going to get you kicked.

Full disclosure, I am a little biased. I can't stand the diving little cnut - and secretly smile inside anyone lays one on him.

bpet15

Completely agree. Some on here act as if the game should turn into a circus act with players running around doing rainbows and nutmegs for 90 minutes.

I haven't seen any more examples of players coming in 2 footed and dangerous on Neymar than any other players. Given the fact that he wants to have 500 touches every time he gets the ball, its only natural that he's going to get fouled more than other players. That is just as much on him and his style of play than it is on defenders.

His showboating is what is going to get him done. It is no different in this sport than any other - acting like a circus clown is going to put you at risk. American football, basketball, baseball, rugby, football - whether anyone likes it or not, trying to show up an opponent is a risky proposition.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan it is fun to watch great dribbling, tricks, etc - but in the context of playing at the very highest level, its going to get you kicked.

Full disclosure, I am a little biased. I can't stand the diving little cnut - and secretly smile inside anyone lays one on him.

bpet15

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I feel like some people in this thread have never actually played football.

As someone who played right back, if I came up against a tricky winger then of course you give him a nibble. You have to let him know you're there and make it hard for him otherwise he'll enjoy himself far too much and you'll get rinsed.

It's all well and good saying 'you should try and stop him by legal means' but sometimes the opposition player is too skilled or too fast for you to deal with. In that case you have to do your best to make it a difficult game for him so he doesn't relish every 1vs1.

That's like page 1 in the dark arts of defending book. Also, with the way Neymar takes the piss sometimes and flops all over the place, who can blame a defender for getting frustrated and sticking a leg in? Competitive sport gets heated at times, obviously anything where you're deliberately trying to cause serious harm is out of order, but a defender getting a couple of kicks in on the showboaty winger is par for the course.

Gee Male

Jesus there's some amount of fairies in here. People are talking about "hacks" and "serious injury" - are we watching the same video?

Your average 5 a side friendly kick about genuinely has similar to that. Honestly.

I always think that people who see football as entertainment in terms of judging instances like this are people who have never played to a decent standard. Football is a competition, no more or less. Playing against a guy like Neymar, you know his biggest weakness is mentality, so you use that against him. Like what Phil Neville used to do to Reyes.

I flat out refuse to believe that he was injured there, no chance. He took a bit of physical contact and didn't want to know. Just confirms his weakness to me.

The Purley King

Reading these responses, I wonder how much football some posters have actually played.
Even in training if someone shouts 'megs' and then nutmegs someone else, I've seen teammates come to blows over it. Just because its in a game, won't make people's initial gut reaction to being humiliated any different.
If you choose to showboat, then anyone who has played any football at all will know what is coming next.
Neymar might be one of the most skillful players in the world, but he's also one of the most deceitful, cheating, diving ones. When some karmic retribution comes his way, then that is fine by me.
It is possible to possess that skill and not be a cnut about it, i.e. Messi, Ronaldinho.

Minimalist

Don’t agree with players getting booted for the craic but Neymar is also one of the biggest outward wankers in football so...

*shrugs*

Frankstaple!

People who think dribblings and tricks are humiliating, but trying to kick your opponent out of a game is ok, are so damn weird. Why do you even watch or play football? Isn’t that what it’s about? Playing against each other to determine who’s more skilled? The notion that lacking skill, gives you the right to resort to illegal action or even violence, is such absurd nonsense. Get better at stopping players and stop whining.
Disagree completely with your statement.

Its a team sport and you play against each other to determine who is the best team which is completely different from the most skilled team.

There is generally only a few skill full players in each team (normally forwards).
You take a team like Barcelona who had Busquets in midfield who was great at breaking up play with "tactical" fouls that would stop the opposition breaking or even building up play.

Look at Firminhio for loonypool and it's the same, lots of tactical fouls to stop the counter attack.

Every team has these kind of players and will continue to do so as long as football is being played.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He took a few nibbles at his ankle, 9/10 times he doesn't get injured but this time the contact was just right for an injury. You can say that because Neymar gets targeted like this in 9/10 games.

It's up to the referee to manage this stuff. The player didn't commit violent conduct, and did enough for a yellow card. I consider the referees far more troublesome in this, it's obvious that refs let players put a bit extra on him because of his diving, they have different standards for Neymar.

Steerpike

I was going to put this is in the PSG match thread, but interested to know what people think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46926841

"It's Neymar's style, but don't come and complain when you get kicked," said Strasbourg's Anthony Goncalves.

"He is a great player, I respect him. He can enjoy himself but don't come blubbering afterwards."

I think that’s out of order. I haven’t seen the footage, but kicking someone because they’re better and then basically telling them to man up is ridiculous.

Anyone else think the Strasbourg player should be in trouble after that statement?
No, absolutely not. His comments were entirely warranted and fair.

If you play in a way which shows a lack of respect to your opponents, you can expect to take a few hits. Neymar was showboating when his team was in front, and his opponents didn't like it. The referee presumably dealt with any illegal challenges as he saw fit.

Neymar will at least have learnt that, even though he's skilful, his bones are just as brittle as anyone elses. Maybe he'll think twice before winding his opponents up unnecessarily next time.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I feel like some people in this thread have never actually played football.

As someone who played right back, if I came up against a tricky winger then of course you give him a nibble. You have to let him know you're there and make it hard for him otherwise he'll enjoy himself far too much and you'll get rinsed.

It's all well and good saying 'you should try and stop him by legal means' but sometimes the opposition player is too skilled or too fast for you to deal with. In that case you have to do your best to make it a difficult game for him so he doesn't relish every 1vs1.

That's like page 1 in the dark arts of defending book. Also, with the way Neymar takes the piss sometimes and flops all over the place, who can blame a defender for getting frustrated and sticking a leg in? Competitive sport gets heated at times, obviously anything where you're deliberately trying to cause serious harm is out of order, but a defender getting a couple of kicks in on the showboaty winger is par for the course.
No one is saying you can't foul or shouldn't foul. What I am against is the moral superiority of the guy who is fouling. He's basically turning what is a 'dark art' into an act of nobleness. Which is plain wrong.

Like you said, we have all fouled and tripped up players and as @harms said, we do it even if our pride is hurt.. but that doesn't mean that in terms of moral value, it is more in the right than someone doing skills. Football is about skills as that is permitted, whereas fouls/kicking players is illegitimate (albeit necessary) and I'm sorry, but imagine if we had youtube videos of fouls vs Ronaldinho's skills... it wouldn't be the beautiful game anymore.

Football needs to protect its skilful players otherwise the game would be poorer for it - simple as. Look at the greatest players of all time list (regardless of position).. there is a reason why someone like Gentile isn't in the top 5.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No one is saying you can't foul or shouldn't foul. What I am against is the moral superiority of the guy who is fouling. He's basically turning what is a 'dark art' into an act of nobleness. Which is plain wrong.

Like you said, we have all fouled and tripped up players and as @harms said, we do it even if our pride is hurt.. but that doesn't mean that in terms of moral value, it is more in the right than someone doing skills. Football is about skills as that is permitted, whereas fouls/kicking players is illegitimate (albeit necessary) and I'm sorry, but imagine if we had youtube videos of fouls vs Ronaldinho's skills... it wouldn't be the beautiful game anymore.

He's just telling him to stop crying about it. The game absolutely wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the skilful players, but most of them also accept that little kicks etc are part of the game and simply get up without a complaint, unless the tackle is reckless. He says he respects him as a great player and that he can enjoy himself, he's just saying that if you're going to do skills and humiliate defenders, you're going to be on the end of some tactical fouls, or even just little kicks to try and win the mental battle.

We're not talking two footers or eye gougers here. There's no place in the game for that at all, but whilst football wouldn't be the same without the skills, I also don't think it would be the same without the aggressive, battling edge that it can have. I enjoy both elements and I'd say so do most football fans. As a defender you have a job to frustrate and nullify the attacking players, and you can't do that by being totally squeaky clean.

Eli Zee

Messi's immense in that sense, isn't he?
I don’t get why more players aren’t like this.... play the game, don’t play for fouls... it’s annoying watching players go down for the tiniest of touches when they don’t need to. If there’s a foul, the ref will call it...you don’t need to make it look 10x worse just play the game.

Abizzz

Nah the problem is refs don't do enough about his antics. If they give him a yellow every time he dives he'll stop or get sent off.
Agree with this. If he was sent off inside the first 20 minutes of every game like he should be (if you count his dives outside the box too) there would be no need to kick him. But that doesn't happen, while his antics do.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Me too. I just don't find joy in watching Neymar. That's not to say I don't enjoy beatiful football. I loved watching Iniesta, Ronaldinho et al who had the ball glued to their feet. Incidentally, they didn't get on like utter sisseys when they were kicked.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don’t get why more players aren’t like this.... play the game, don’t play for fouls... it’s annoying watching players go down for the tiniest of touches when they don’t need to. If there’s a foul, the ref will call it...you don’t need to make it look 10x worse just play the game.
Yeah the game has become so soft, but on the flip side, i can understand why players go down easily as well. I've seen plenty of fouls which were not given because players tried staying on their feet. But truth be told, the slightest push (to us it might seem slight) throws you off balance quite a bit.

But there's definitely serial divers out there that makes it quite difficult for refs.

Halftrack

When you’re making a foul in an order to stop an opponent when you’re not getting a ball cleanly, it’s one thing. When you’re kicking a player because he hurt your pride, it’s another. And it is nothing different to what Keane did to Haaland (aside from the severity of that tackle).
Bolded is literally what happened. Goncalves didn't kick him, he tried to take the ball off him in a completely normal and nonviolent (albeit clumsy) manner. The rainbow flick happened afterwards.

Feckin' hell people, read the article and watch the video. Some of you are acting like he booted him on purpose for being fancy, when it was Neymar being fancy in response to being clumsily challenged.

Last edited:

cyberman

A bit rich to kick someone and blame it on ‘the real world’ though... I didn’t kick him, no siree Ref, it was The Real World that kicked him. I would never kick anyone myself!
It is the real world though. Getting close and physical with tricky players has been a staple of football for generations.
Its not even that bad most of the time. The worst Neymar tackle I've seen was made by Neymar himself.
He's always petulant and mouthing off, this is what happens. It's not just the skill that riles opponents.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ma...ball/2019/01/15/5c3e312d22601d0c638b462f.html

Sauldogba

I know a few profesional footballers personally and i will tell you that they see showboating as disrespect.

Now lets move away from the football pitch and think of life in general.

if someone disrespected you in real life you wouldnt stand for it you might punch them or sometimes worse.

Not condoning it btw just telling you what it is.

bpet15

Sooner or later, Neymar will figure it out. When he realizes the game is about the team and not himself, he will begin to fulfill his true potential.

Until then, he’ll continue to be viewed as a selfish, diving, circus clown.

Schneckerl

Messi and Ronaldo should really appreciate how much protection they got in comparison.
If some scrub decided to injury them he'd be out of the league.

They also have more respect from the players (especially Messi) for anyone to do that though.

harms

Staff
Bolded is literally what happened. Goncalves didn't kick him, he tried to take the ball off him in a completely normal and nonviolent (albeit clumsy) manner. The rainbow flick happened afterwards.

Feckin' hell people, read the article and watch the video. Some of you are acting like he booted him on purpose for being fancy, when it was Neymar being fancy in response to being clumsily challenged.
I'm not responding to this episode though. The discussion has moved on to slightly different topics as well.

Rish Sawhney

Messi and Ronaldo should really appreciate how much protection they got in comparison.
If some scrub decided to injury them he'd be out of the league.

They also have more respect from the players (especially Messi) for anyone to do that though.
I hope this is a joke. Ronaldo used to get kicked up and down the pitch in his early years here.

Nucks

RT History Department
This is football! football is entertainment. you don't kick a player for embarrassing you on the pitch, you try your best to better him and if at the end you are unable to, you be a good sport and give him his respect.
I don't care if Neyma is the biggest cvnt in world football he doesn't deserve to get kicked.
You're looking at it from the perspective of a fan, who has no personal stake in what is going on.

They are going at it from the perspective of competitors, competing in a competition, where for you might want to be entertained, and therefore you want someone like Neymar to be protected so he can dazzle you. The other guys on the pitch might have other desires. Like winning. Like doing whatever is necessary to win. If that means pragmatically fouling someone who can outskill you, that's what you do in THAT situation. You don't throw you hands up and say "Oh well, he's better than me, I guess I'll just stand here with my dick in my hand".

I also can almost promise you, you'd have a different opinion on this if it was Jones fouling Neymar for United. Most people would come to the defense of Jones. Saying it showed loyalty and honor to sacrifice himself for the team. Ultimately these are professional fouls. If OUR defender hauls someone down from behind on a clear cut break away, we applaud him. He gets red carded and DDG saves the penalty, we salute him. If someone does it to us, we're horrified, this is the most despicable act! He should be banned for life! Or at least a few games because JUSTICE! :).

Neymar does need to man up. Imagine how much more impactful he'd be if he behaved like Messi. You have to hack Messi down to take him down, AND he rarely flails about. He pops back up. Neymar often just swan dives on the slightest contact, and then writhes like he's been shot. How often does Messi ride out a foul, and then do some highlight all world all time great type shit? All the time. How often does Neymar ride out a foul and then do some all world shit? Never know because he never rides out fouls. Also, Neymar has a reputation for diving now. The Refs never know with Neymar if he was axe murdered, shot, or a stiff wind caught him and he dove? When Messi goes down, because he doesn't go down easily, it's almost a no brainer for the refs.

Anyways, that's the game. These are men, competing, foremost on their minds is competing and trying to win. Not if their actions hurt the on-field product for a TV audience.

sokol11

Just my few cents on this. I find Neymar incredibly annoying and disrespectful towards opponents. So in short i'm happy it happened. I hope it will help him to come to his senses but I would bet it will not impact his self assessment. Thing to note is also that I find it incredibly irritating that when this little pri.ck gets fouled entire PSG team in panic, hands up, all to the judge to protest how on earth someone had guts to foul their own little snowflake Neymar. So yeah I really don't have any sympathy for this guy. :)

walkinhop

How many of you have seen the tackles? It was a nothing situation made bigger because it's yet again football's cvntiest player.