Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Injury record and tactical fit are the biggest concerns for me. The money is also an obvious concern, but the one not worth worrying about at this stage because nobody knows what the money looks like.

I’m not sure where we will fit him into the lineup though I must say. You would want Rashford on the left I imagine.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You sound like Pogue’s even angrier little brother. Anti-Pogba, anti-Neymar, anti-stepover, anti-hairdye brigade. Neymar is actually a football player, a good and productive one at that - not a musician or supermodel in a football kit.
Anti Pogba? Absolutely I was. Looks like I got that one spot on too. ;)

We don't need Neymar. Two circuses just left town. We don't need to bring another in.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Your view that taking on a player who is 31, injury prone and earns 3/4 million quid a week is just daft mate. I can't dress it up any other way. Apologies if it hurt your feelings.
I didn't share my view on whether we should take him or not. As I said you decided to shut your brain and get upset.

BarstoolProphet

To me the wage isn't an issue because the reality of the matter is that he is galaxies apart from any of our current players when it comes to abilitiy, none of them have a leg to stand on if they pout about not earning as much as Neymar. The issue with him is just that he is injury prone and it's a big issue, he is in a similar situation to Robben and while the risk could be worth it, it's still a big risk.
Also he would be targeted with the refs' blessing, similar to what he experiences in France.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I didn't share my view on whether we should take him or not. As I said you decided to shut your brain and get upset.
Your posts definitely suggested that we should think about it.
Be our best player overnight you said.

I'm not even sure he'd outscore Rashford in this division.

JPRouve

Scout

My post suggested and concluded that it would be a big risk. I expected that someone as smart as yourself to pick up on what was literally written, it wasn't a riddle.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
My post suggested and concluded that it would be a big risk. I expected that someone as smart as yourself to pick up on what was literally written, it wasn't a riddle.
Not quite true. Some of your posts didn't sound quite as negative as that.

However what your conclusion is, now you realised what he's earning and his fitness record is, that I might have a point with what I'm saying? ;)

Holocene

He almost certainly would be our best player overnight. His ability isn't in doubt.

The concerns about his injury record and where he fits into the team are valid.

JPRouve

Scout
Not quite true. Some of your posts didn't sound quite as negative as that.

However what your conclusion is, now you realised what he's earning and his fitness record is, that I might have a point with what I'm saying? ;)
As if I give a damn about anything you think.

TsuWave

How is it an issue if the club is okay with paying it?
Always funny to see people posting about players wages and supposed “knock on effects” as if they have any inside knowledge of how these deals are structured and/or if these are considerations ignored by the club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He almost certainly would be our best player overnight. His ability isn't in doubt.

The concerns about his injury record and where he fits into the team are valid.
Same was said about Sanchez and Di Maria. Neither were anything like our best players in reality.

Neymar would be our best player on paper in similar way to Pogba probably was. I'm not convinced he's actually be a successful signing on the pitch though and that's all that matters really.

dinostar77

We'd be mad to sign him.
If we were to sign him, we'd need to sign ward-prowse as well. Neymar would win so many freekicks, ward-prowse would then stick the freekick in the back of the net.

Boom job done.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I’d be open to a straight swap between Neymar & Sancho.

It would then be worth it to take on his wages as the differential between what he earns compared to Sancho would be an additional 20m a year circa. Ideally give him a 2+1 contract keeping his injury record in mind.

Otherwise it doesn’t make sense from a technical standpoint. Currently we have Rashford, Sancho & Garnacho vying for the LW spot so one of them would have to make way for Neymar. Sancho seems the most dispensable option.

Again, these are just my views if we really do want to go for Neymar but I’d prefer avoiding his acquisition. He’d be a liability in ETH’s system. I think he’d do much better in a dominant possession team like city.

El-Manos

He’s either going to be absolutely amazing or utter dog shit. There will be no middle ground with him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Injury record is my biggest concern with him. Refs here likely wouldn't protect him either.

If he's fit though, he's pretty much one of the 3-4 best players in the world.

James35

Would love Neymar on a loan but yeah his injury record is very concerning. Averaging just 28 games a season since joining PSG.

He does have 116 goals and 48 assists in 169 games for them.

At Barcelona he had 96 goals and 34 assists in 148 apps.

Plus 77 international goals in 124 Brazil games.

His world class talent is obvious of course.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Can he not play as a 10 and as a lone striker ? Rashford has had a brilliant season and he played up top most of the times.

If we can't sign Kane, Rashford, Neymar, Garnacho for 2 positions isn't bad. City has 4 quality options for wing positions.

Obviously the financial side has to be right too.

Eddy_JukeZ

Can he not play as a 10 and as a lone striker ? Rashford has had a brilliant season and he played up top most of the times.

If we can't sign Kane, Rashford, Neymar, Garnacho for 2 positions isn't bad. City has 4 quality options for wing positions.

Obviously the financial side has to be right too.
He can easily play as a 10 or as a false 9. Don't think Ten Hag likes using a false 9 system though.

Neymar's probably best operating from a central role now though. Him and Rashford wouldn't overlap. Him and Bruno might be an intriguing conundrum.

Pickle85

If the manager feels he can make it work then I’m all for it. Said earlier in this thread, he’s probably the most underrated player in the game, and he’s very highly rated (except in England because he isn’t their style of footballer here).

For me, in addition to any coaching or tactical setup - the best teams often have the added advantage of at least one forward player that teams simply cannot legislate for. You can set up as well as you want and work as hard as you want but if Neymar wants to take a game away from you he can.

Now I also appreciate the concerns. Many are valid. Although some mot so much. For example, Neymar has always been a player with good workrate to me. I haven’t watched as much recently, but at Barcelona, he certainly used to chase down opponents and win the ball.
This is absolutely absurd, unless you're mistaking hated for underrated. He's ENORMOUSLY highly rated but there are a lot of very good reasons why buying him would be absurd and utterly out of keeping with ETH's road map. Can't see it happening (thankfully) as he'd be both injured and unmotivated.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Looking forward to this signing just to see Nou_Camp99’s head explode

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He can easily play as a 10 or as a false 9. Don't think Ten Hag likes using a false 9 system though.

Neymar's probably best operating from a central role now though. Him and Rashford wouldn't overlap. Him and Bruno might be an intriguing conundrum.
May be ETH want some brilliant attacking options. So he can play left , 10 and as a second striker in a 2 man forward?

Sign a young striker along with Neymar and we are set .(assuming Kane isn't coming ).

Eddy_JukeZ

May be ETH want some brilliant attacking options. So he can play left , 10 and as a second striker in a 2 man forward?

Sign a young striker along with Neymar and we are set .(assuming Kane isn't coming ).
Doubt we'd ever use a 2 man forward line-up, but yeah he can obviously play off a striker.

He can play off the left too, but he has lost some explosion compared to his Barcelona days.

Rolaholic

This is absolutely absurd, unless you're mistaking hated for underrated. He's ENORMOUSLY highly rated but there are a lot of very good reasons why buying him would be absurd and utterly out of keeping with ETH's road map. Can't see it happening (thankfully) as he'd be both injured and unmotivated.
He's massively underrated on the caf

caid

Too many risks, not enough upside for me. He'd probably be a minor upgrade on Bruno or Rashford but we dont need that. Pushing either of them out to positions they're not as good in limits the wider team. There's about 12 other positions that need attention more than the ones Neymar could play in.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No doubt he's a high quality player. I mean, everyone that watch football can see that. But he needs the team to be built around him to get his best. Now that comes the question if he's motivated enough to perform in a long 50+ game season. Or if EtH is willing to do that. I highly doubt that.

But as an impact player (if he's willing)? Damn.., sign me up to support this.

Last edited:

Pickle85

He's massively underrated on the caf
Really? I think that most accept he was a world class player but also very injury prone and maybe lacks motivation. If we could have had him ten years ago and moulded him into less of a twat then I would have loved to see him here, but at this point, nah.

-Supreme-

Can you imagine off-the ball defending / pressing from our forwards with the likes of Rashford and Neymar?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is not absurd at all. He is not ‘enormously highly rated’ by all, and barely anyone connected to the UK. He is constantly seen to be needing to justify the fact that he’s an extremely good player to ‘doubters’ - doubters that exist for what I can only call ‘some strange reason’. He consistently performs well, and for my money, while he was at Barcelona he broke that ‘Ronaldo/Messi’ dominance as he became better than Ronaldo there.

He’s underrated because he is not firstly referenced as one of the very best footballers on the planet, which he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.