Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

klayton88

If we don't let him throw the wage structure out and have him earning the same as the other big names in the squad I'm not against it. I'm sure I read something about the wage structure being streamlined a bit more.

Let's see how seduced he feels on 250k a week.

Eddy_JukeZ

If we don't let him throw the wage structure out and have him earning the same as the other big names in the squad I'm not against it. I'm sure I read something about the wage structure being streamlined a bit more.

Let's see how seduced he feels on 250k a week.
I mean we're not signing him to a permanent deal, so that's a non-starter of him being on those wages.

Eddy_JukeZ

Can you imagine off-the ball defending / pressing from our forwards with the likes of Rashford and Neymar?
I swear some of you don't watch Neymar.

He presses off the ball more than Rashford does and always has does.

He's the hardest working forward from PSG's front 3.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Apparently peps called Neymar. Is this another one of them deals where we swoop in the minute city become interested and then the player turns out crap for us…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Too many risks, not enough upside for me. He'd probably be a minor upgrade on Bruno or Rashford but we dont need that. Pushing either of them out to positions they're not as good in limits the wider team. There's about 12 other positions that need attention more than the ones Neymar could play in.
He’s a significant upgrade on Bruno, not minor.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Can you imagine off-the ball defending / pressing from our forwards with the likes of Rashford and Neymar?
Genuine question - do you watch Neymar regularly?.

There may be 100 reasons not to sign him but work rate isn't one of them.

Eddy_JukeZ

It’s not that difficult to achieve though is it?
Now you're changing your tune. You seemed to imply they were on the same level.

And since I debunked that tune, you're saying it's not much of an accomplishment.

Pick a lane. Stick to it.

I suppose it would probably end up being a disaster, but despite all the arguments not to do it I'd actually make an exception for Neymar. Talent aside, the flair and style feels like it belongs to a different age.

I haven't been to many high profile games in my life, but I was lucky enough to see Neymar up close twice against Strasbourg. It was bitterly cold and PSG somehow managed to lose both games, but just watching Neymar floating around the pitch a level above everyone else was glorious.

Eddy_JukeZ

He has generally been in the same ballpark than Mané when it comes to pressures.
Funny because the narratives of the 2 from fans in England are/were

Mane = hard working selfless player.

Neymar = prima-donna who plays for himself and not the team

Despite them having near identical data when it comes to pressures.

Also don't think Neymar ever punched a teammate either.

Kaos

I think he's a wonderful player, but I'd rather we didn't bring in the sister-shagger, too old, too injury prone, and will be on insane wages. Its essentially a Woodward special.

Eddy_JukeZ

I wasn’t even comparing him with Rashford.

It’s like saying it would be fine playing Lindelof at the back to play in a high line as he is faster than Dan Burn.
What are you on about?

Your initial post was "imagine our defending off the ball/pressing from the front with Rashford and Neymar in the team"

You get pushed back from numerous posters how Neymar works hard for the team and now you've decided make a pointless Lindelof/Dan Burn comparison.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wasn’t even comparing him with Rashford.

It’s like saying it would be fine playing Lindelof at the back to play in a high line as he is faster than Dan Burn.
Yes but Lindelöf is faster than Dan Burn and so is Varane. The two cannot be used to make the same point. Obviously Neymar is better at pressing than Rashford, because he is good at pressing. So why would you feel the need to make a point about our defending from the front here, if you’re only point was to remind us that Rashford isn’t great at it?

Wing Attack Plan R

He’d be perfect for City because they could play him once every 4 matches, they could have almost two separate teams depending on the competition. Neymar would be like a little cheat code they could deploy when needed, he’s not going to be playing against Forest or West Ham. For a club that needs a week in, week out player, he’d play less than Martial while eating our entire budget.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Perhaps when it comes to pressures and is it this season Mane? But how about off the ball defending?
No I'm talking about every seasons that Mané has had with Liverpool and every seasons that Neymar has had with PSG/Barcelona at the exception of maybe one or two. His off the ball defending is normal for an attacker, he helps his fullback but he is prone to make bad fouls.

Neymar not pressing or defending is a myth.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Could go either way this one. Could be a massive hit or a massive fail. If we did sign him though expect him to miss the knockouts of the CL if we get there… he does it every year, around his sisters birthday I think it is :lol:

-Supreme-

Yes but Lindelöf is faster than Dan Burn and so is Varane. The two cannot be used to make the same point. Obviously Neymar is better at pressing than Rashford, because he is good at pressing. So why would you feel the need to make a point about our defending from the front here, if you’re only point was to remind us that Rashford isn’t great at it?
Yes Neymar is better at pressing than Rashford, but I don’t think their off the ball defending is good enough under ETH system, we already have one that isn’t great and we certainly could do with someone that is better than Neymar at pressing and defending off the ball

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The only stupidity here comes from you. People have shared their view cordially until you decided to act like a proper idiot pretending that your view is somehow the only one that should be had.
Nothing he has said is idiotic. I also don’t see that he is forcing his view on others, simply being robust on making his case.
Signing Neymar would be tantamount to bringing back the bad old days. We do not want or need him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Could go either way this one. Could be a massive hit or a massive fail. If we did sign him though expect him to miss the knockouts of the CL if we get there… he does it every year, around his sisters birthday I think it is :lol:
He misses the CL knockouts because of injuries.

Not for his his sister's birthday :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Nothing he has said is idiotic. I also don’t see that he is forcing his view on others, simply being robust on making his case.
Signing Neymar would be tantamount to bringing back the bad old days. We do not want or need him.
So it's not idiotic to call a conclusion that he imagined stupid?

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes Neymar is better at pressing than Rashford, but I don’t think their off the ball defending is good enough under ETH system, we already have one that isn’t great and we certainly could do with someone that is better than Neymar at pressing and defending off the ball
The point would be to lessen the need for defending off the ball.

If we're going to judge attackers at how good they are at defending off the ball, that's a team issue that needs to be corrected.

JPRouve

Scout
That happens all the time on here. Are we all idiots?
If you fail to read a post properly and consider that post stupid then you are an idiot. It's even worse when you double down.

But anyway, mind your own business.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Neymar is world class forward. If anything, if there is a man worth to wear the number 7, he will be one of them in term of quality. The problem is the salary fecking 40m per year. Even just on loan, 40m per year is huge unless if PSG are paying half. Another issue is his injury record recently been bad.

-Supreme-

The point would be to lessen the need for defending off the ball.

If we're going to judge attackers at how good they are at defending off the ball, that's a team issue that needs to be corrected.
Do you judge goalkeepers with their passing ability?

Eddy_JukeZ

Do you judge goalkeepers with their passing ability?
If I want a team that's playing out from the back, then yes I do.

If I want a team that's going to play football on the front foot, I'm less concerned in a player defending off the ball and more concerned with how much they press.

Edit: To further expand, when I think of a player defending off the ball, I think how they are when we're getting pinned back and whether they will track runners and such. The goal ultimately would be to lessen that need and be the team pinning the opposition back.

Woziak

Unless he's a free transfer, no.
I think he will be a convenient loan, no smoke without fire but it’s clear that PSG have huge FFP problems as their wage bill is at least 107% of their turnover, they need to let Messi and Neymar go to satisfy FFP, probably Veratti as well. If they owned two teams which is far easier to manipulate with huge EPL money and a new Qatar sponsor deal, I’m not saying this is happening but it’s clear there is something being set up should SJ take over.

I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 or 2 PSG players moved to united and 1 or 2 united players moved to PSG, friendly encouragement from different owners of course.

croadyman

Obviously, if it REALLY is a non-starter for financial reasons, then it simply won’t happen. Because we would not be able to afford to make it happen.

There are a number of ways that a deal could happen. One could be a loan with PSG subsidised wages, for example. There is no point getting too caught up in the figures at this point as what any deal may look like is very much hypothetical now. For it to happen, we will obviously have to make it work for us. And if we make it work for us, then there’s obviously no problem.
Can't see PSG offering to pay some of his wages whilst he is at Utd. That's why I couldn't ever see this move becoming a realistic possibility due to the money involved

Status
Not open for further replies.