Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is a slightly simple logic I feel. Squad development is not formulaic, and I personally think it is clear that we have gotten to a point where we are not just trying to fill positions in the squad, but we have almost hit a bit of a ceiling where we now require players of a certain calibre to add to the other good players we have.

What this team needs more than anything now, is a star player, in my opinion. You don't necessarily move forward by then switchinig from Bale to Pedro. You wait for another Bale.
So what do we do in the meantime? Just leave holes in the squad and stick Fellaini upfront?

Question234

That wasn't the question. Anyway the Madrid manager at the time wanted to keep Di Maria and Ozil. Sanchez wanted out and Barca wanted to keep Pedro.
When was the last time we did? Ronaldo? And before that?
The point remains, you still have to try, FFS, what's so hard to understand here.
But perez wanted them sold and better players brought in, Sanchez wanted out because he was told he'd warm the bench for saurez and the club were happy to sell. How can you not see neymar is valued by barca far more than any of the above players mentioned ? Again there is nothing wrong in asking or trying but there is a risk on losing out on world class talent elsewhere by chasing clouds.

As mentioned above. You go for a fabregas you miss a thiago and then fabregas sticks his finger at you and come september you are twiddling thumbs or paying 27m for fellaini. I'd rather just go for Greizmann, absolute class and good enough for utd, plus far more likely to join for cheaper and will become a star anyway imo.

Question234

I'm glad we're flexing our financial muscle and trying to sign the best players. Some might not be attainable at a certain point in time, but knowing football, there will be a time where every player is tempted by a move, especially to a club like Manchester United.

This year we went in for Muller and Neymar, but we still ended up investing heavily in the team for those same positions. As long as that is the case, i don't see the problem in trying.
No we didn't, that's why we still want neymar and muller even now.

we invested in the team but our front 4 is the weakest out of the top 4, we invested potential sure but not heavily.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So what do we do in the meantime? Just leave holes in the squad and stick Fellaini upfront?
The striker situation got a bit extreme, but we play with 1 centre-forward, and have 3 actual ones, not including Fellaini. The fact is, it isn't bodies we need, it's quality.

Half the morons on the caf spent all summer saying we should get player x as 'back-up for Rooney'. The 'bodies' approach would have screwed us in that respect, he clearly needed upgrading. We have good young players here in attack, many of whom should be providing back-up. We don't need more back-ups.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The striker situation got a bit extreme, but we play with 1 centre-forward, and have 3 actual ones, not including Fellaini. The fact is, it isn't bodies we need, it's quality.

Half the morons on the caf spent all summer saying we should get player x as 'back-up for Rooney'. The 'bodies' approach would have screwed us in that respect, he clearly needed upgrading. We have good young players here in attack, many of whom should be providing back-up. We don't need more back-ups.
But it's not about bodies, there are alternatives to Neymar and Muller obviously not on the same level but very good players that would make a difference.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But it's not about bodies, there are alternatives to Neymar and Muller obviously not on the same level but very good players that would make a difference.
Indeed, but perhaps the manager doesn't fancy some of them. Also, we seemingly tried to get Mané too anyway.

It's just that the caf seem to have decided that they want Griezmann, and not pursuing him has no logic etc, wheras it is very possible the manager simply does not agree.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
2 years left on his deal.

Meanwhile Barcelona made a net operating profit of €15m last year. That's after winning the Treble and getting nearly €40m a pop for Fabregas and Sanchez. Their debt still rose €41m to €328m and they're talking about a €600m Nou Camp renovation.

Their wages/turnover ratio is at an eye watering 73%.

With all that in mind, is it possible that they might prefer to receive a €150m fee for Neymar than commit another €100m to a new contract? I don't think it's impossible.
I wasn't familiar with their finances. That sounds bad.

Smores

The Neymar thread when this first broke in the summer was hilarious. Interesting that it's turned out to be true

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They pay their front 3 an excess of 200k a week and splashed out over 200m on 2 of them, that's competitive enough.
And we could comfortably double that and pay Neymar 400k a week without breaking a sweat.

Edit: posted by @Pexbo

Meanwhile Barcelona made a net operating profit of €15m last year. That's after winning the Treble and getting nearly €40m a pop for Fabregas and Sanchez. Their debt still rose €41m to €328m and they're talking about a €600m Nou Camp renovation.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was skeptical but less skeptical than the story about Woodward travelling to Barcelona for Pedro.

Getsme

But perez wanted them sold and better players brought in, Sanchez wanted out because he was told he'd warm the bench for saurez and the club were happy to sell. How can you not see neymar is valued by barca far more than any of the above players mentioned ? Again there is nothing wrong in asking or trying but there is a risk on losing out on world class talent elsewhere by chasing clouds.

As mentioned above. You go for a fabregas you miss a thiago and then fabregas sticks his finger at you and come september you are twiddling thumbs or paying 27m for fellaini. I'd rather just go for Greizmann, absolute class and good enough for utd, plus far more likely to join for cheaper and will become a star anyway imo.
If you don't go for these players you will never know if you can get them.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
And we could comfortably double that and pay Neymar 400k a week without breaking a sweat.

Edit: posted by @Pexbo

Doesn't seem to be bothering them or hindering them in the transfer market or wages. People were kicking up a fuss about our finances just a few years ago.

So we can pay 400k a week, doesn't seem to be making much of a difference in getting these players.

Question234

If you don't go for these players you will never know if you can get them.
.Of course.

Send the message, lay the groundwork. No doubt muller, bale and neymar's camp already know which club is the most interested if their player decides to leave.

The key is knowing when to acknowledge a player isn't for sale and switch targets to avoid losing out, having a "never say die" attitude to transfers is not smart. Especially when we're talking about a player of Neymar's calibre.

ivaldo

Doesn't seem to be bothering them or hindering them in the transfer market or wages. People were kicking up a fuss about our finances just a few years ago.

So we can pay 400k a week, doesn't seem to be making much of a difference in getting these players.
With the increase in debt the board broke the rule stipulated in article 67. The rule allows for a maximum net debt to EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) ratio of 2.75, but the current ratio is 3.2. The board will now have two years to get the ratio below 2.75 or they board will have to resign. This was following the best possible season they could've had, winning every trophy they competed for. Unless they are working under the assumption that they will be winning the treble every year something has to give. Additionally the club are looking to spend €700m on a stadium upgrade, how do you believe the board are going to hit a ratio of 2.75, expand their stadium AND renew the contracts of Neymar and Messi?

Getsme

.Of course.

Send the message, lay the groundwork. No doubt muller, bale and neymar's camp already know which club is the most interested if their player decides to leave.

The key is knowing when to acknowledge a player isn't for sale and switch targets to avoid losing out, having a "never say die" attitude to transfers is not smart. Especially when we're talking about a player of Neymar's calibre.
Who have we lost out to recently?

MDFC Manager

With the increase in debt the board broke the rule stipulated in article 67. The rule allows for a maximum net debt to EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) ratio of 2.75, but the current ratio is 3.2. The board will now have two years to get the ratio below 2.75 or they board will have to resign. This was following the best possible season they could've had, winning every trophy they competed for. Unless they are working under the assumption that they will be winning the treble every year something has to give. Additionally the club are looking to spend €700m on a stadium upgrade, how do you believe the board are going to hit a ratio of 2.75, expand their stadium AND renew the contracts of Neymar and Messi?
...and I'm sure that Woodward, being the picked-off-the-street numpty he is, has no clue at all about the detailed financial status of rival clubs like Barcelona. He is just pissing in the wind with his blind offers. [/sarcasm]

Getsme

we invested in the team but our front 4 is the weakest out of the top 4, we invested potential sure but not heavily.
Weaker than Chelsea and Arsenal?

MDFC Manager

What makes you think that we aren't actually following that approach?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player

Heres where i disagree:

1) based on last year, we could have invested 100 million more, and still have a weak front four. I mean even proven quality players that cost a fortune could sign for us and play like crap.

2) our front four are still preforming better than chelsea's.

3) Martial has definitely improved us, Memphis hasn't impressed so far though. IMO, The problem with our front four is not the lack of investment, but rather the constant presence of Wayne Rooney.

4) Even if we had a very settled front four, we would still be in for Neymar,Muller, etc... if they were available. As Fergie said, you always find a place for special players.

Question234

Weaker than Chelsea and Arsenal?
our entire squad ? No

Our attack ? Yes.

What makes you think that we aren't actually following that approach?
Nothing, which is exactly why I said in my very first post that there is nothing wrong with sending a message or doing the groundwork now.

I'm also saying to suggest that it could never happen is naive, I'm not one for extra-risk which is why I said I'd be happy to take greizmann instead of neymar.

Adisa

The Neymar thread when this first broke in the summer was hilarious. Interesting that it's turned out to be true
Neil Custis got a lot of grief. He broke it. Said he knew he would be called names but swore he was telling the truth. People still didn't believe him. :lol:

ivaldo

Neil Custis got a lot of grief. He broke it. Said he knew he would be called names but swore he was telling the truth. People still didn't believe him. :lol:
I remember that, I was one of many giving him abuse!

Getsme

our entire squad ? No

Our attack ? Yes.

Nothing, which is exactly why I said in my very first post that there is nothing wrong with sending a message or doing the groundwork now.

I'm also saying to suggest that it could never happen is naive, I'm not one for extra-risk which is why I said I'd be happy to take greizmann instead of neymar.
Disagree.

ivaldo

...and I'm sure that Woodward, being the picked-off-the-street numpty he is, has no clue at all about the detailed financial status of rival clubs like Barcelona. He is just pissing in the wind with his blind offers. [/sarcasm]
Hehe, I mean, why would the executive vice chairman of the world's biggest sporting club who happens to be a chartered accountant have any concept of finance?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Your're talking like Barca are broke, they may not be on the same financial level at us but they are a footballing powerhouse, if they want to keep Messi and Neymar they will find the money.

Last edited:

RedPnutz

Why did we try for Neymar and not Messi? or Suarez? Maybe because we got the slightest encouragement? Or maybe because in probabilistic terms it had a better chance?

In any case, it is about planting seeds. Also it unsettles a player. If ever there was a chance Neymar gets rattled, he will remember Utd were sincere enough to bid firmly for him.

This is just part of negotiation. And psychology. No one says it has to materialize this season.

There's never a harm in trying. Any I don't see why it is naive or embarrassing. If anything i think it makes clubs more wary, because they know we can pay and we are on the prowl.

Like Martial, Wenger backed off because he believed Monaco when they said they wouldn't sell. Turns out, they do have a breaking point. Most clubs and players do.

MDFC Manager

I remember that, I was one of many giving him abuse!
Me too :lol:

Your talking like Barca are broke, they may not be on the same financial level at us but they are a footballing powerhouse, if they want to keep Messi and Neymar they will find the money.
Its likely they will, but you can see there are (or will be) reasons why they could give 100m+ offers a serious thought. Maybe you and I can't see or sense opportunities like these, but rest assured that an M&A guy like Woodward surely does.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Me too :lol:

Its likely they will, but you can see there are (or will be) reasons why they could give 100m+ offers a serious thought. Maybe you and I can't see or sense opportunities like these, but rest assured that an M&A guy like Woodward surely does.
I sincerely do hope i'm wrong on this and we do get a Neymar calibre player, just don't see it happening with the way we are on the pitch atm, and don't want us to waste time and miss out on other targets while our rivals are signing the likes of De Bruyne.

jojose

not sure if anybody has made this point but the key thing of this story is that Barca asked Neymar if he wanted to go. That means they'd sell.

Imagine Neymar in behind / around Martial.....Jesus. Christ.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
not sure if anybody has made this point but the key thing of this story is that Barca asked Neymar if he wanted to go. That means they'd sell.

It says in the article Barcelona didn't want to sell, i would imagine clubs have to notify players/agents if offers come in for them.

ivaldo

Your talking like Barca are broke, they may not be on the same financial level at us but they are a footballing powerhouse, if they want to keep Messi and Neymar they will find the money.
I'm not saying it's a certainty that we will be signing Neymar, I'm saying they are financially struggling at the moment, something has to give and receiving a very favourable offer from us along with Neymar being being open to a move isn't out of this world like you're claiming.

entropy

I think we moved for martial after several other targets didn't work out. If we landed Neymar, we wouldn't have gone for Martial. So, a realistic version would be Neymar in behind / around Rooney....Jesus!!!!

Adisa

Where does it say that? I thought the story at the time was that we were going to trigger his clause?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A front 3 with Neymar, Martial and Mata wouldnt be too bad :) Let's see if we ever manage to buy him

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
It's not the bid that was batshit crazy, it was the thought he'd actually leave Barca to come to us.

Smores

It's not the bid that was batshit crazy, it was the thought he'd actually leave Barca to come to us.
I guess they're the same thing really.

I'm not sure if either is that crazy though, you never know what's going on behind closed doors.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I guess they're the same thing really.

I'm not sure if either is that crazy though, you never know what's going on behind closed doors.
From the outside, it smacked of desperation. Neymar Sr. confirming the approach doesn't influence it

Status
Not open for further replies.