Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
More likely scenario is of him signing new contract and Barca doing everything possible to see that happens. With Barca's wage bill above 70% of income, they need to cut down somewhere, although Neymar can't be that cut down option. Lot will depend on how Messi's tax case goes, if his agent comes back with wage rise, are Barca in market for big names next summer etc..I hope till then Woody keeps up his work with summer 2016 in mind and keep other options open in case Neymar signs new contract.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
More likely scenario is of him signing new contract and Barca doing everything possible to see that happens. With Barca's wage bill above 70% of income, they need to cut down somewhere, although Neymar can't be that cut down option. Lot will depend on how Messi's tax case goes, if his agent comes back with wage rise, are Barca in market for big names next summer etc..I hope till then Woody keeps up his work with summer 2016 in mind and keep other options open in case Neymar signs new contract.
How on earth is their wage bill so high? Their squad isn't even big.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Hilarious thread, some real naïvety on here.
Some would think we're Accrington Stanley and can't play with the big boys, and we only go after one player at a time, Ed makes a bid and waits until the "selling club" phones him back before even considering the option of pursuing someone else and that someone else can only be pursued if we know that he is available for certain or if they're at one of the "big" clubs we can only buy him when he's at the end of his career

The Man Himself

Don't know details. Maybe along with Messi likes Iniesta, Pique etc are also on high wage. Not too forget Neymar and Suarez plus like of Alba, Rakitic, Mascherano etc who will command high wages.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Too many people in this thread, go back to Bale thread, we need your money next summer :p
After the taxgate emanated from the capital? Improbable that Perez et al can lure him back after burning the bridges. Let's not forget, it's twice he has spurned your club.

Could he leave? Absolutely. I see a settled player but he's also a marketing machine and perhaps wants more of the spotlight at some point so you can never rule it out - a big reason why I am not a fan of these acquisitions in the first place. Wherever he were to go if he was to go, Nike would be an integral aspect.

On the flip side, the club has invested heavily in the player and know that the future is Neymar so they will not let go so easily either
The taxgate emanated from the capital(if you believe the conspiration theory) but Santos has also legal problems with his father. That will depends on Neymar, if he wants to leave he has 3 realistic options, to stay in Spain, in Madrid or England: United or Chelsea. Even if he renews the release clause will go proportionally, from 190meuros to perhaps 250, I don´t think that Barça will convince him for some crazy amount like Bale or Cristiano.
Allow the guy fulfill his dream, that a greedy father avoided :devil:

Americano

Make America Great Again!

cyberman

We knew we wouldn't get him this season, we set the foundations for next season by interrupting potential contract negotiations between Neymar and Barca with a little 'Hold off on this a little bit, don't rush into signing this new contract'
The very same reports that have proven to be true said our realistic target was signing him for next year.

Trizy

Wouldn't have happened either way but gotta say I'm enjoying that we're going after the worlds best players each window, really shows how far we're willing to go to become the best again.

MDFC Manager

At worse, Neymar signs a new contract but given the revelations about Barca's finances, that's a good thing for us. Giving Neymar a big new contract reduces their ability to compete with us for a different player (say, Griezman).

Sigma

It's great that we are trying for these players. That's where we should be trying.

Also, people saying we embarrass ourselves should take a hike. Our interest wasn't public at all, this was revealed by the player's agent for obvious reasons.
I really don't get the people who say it's embarrassing as well. How the hell is submitting a bid for any player embarrassing?

eggwithsideburns

Wouldn't have happened either way but gotta say I'm enjoying that we're going after the worlds best players each window, really shows how far we're willing to go to become the best again.
I was just about to say the same thing. Hopefully we will sign a huge player soon and then they will take us to the next level.

RedStarUnited

Why did we try for Neymar and not Messi? or Suarez? Maybe because we got the slightest encouragement? Or maybe because in probabilistic terms it had a better chance?

In any case, it is about planting seeds. Also it unsettles a player. If ever there was a chance Neymar gets rattled, he will remember Utd were sincere enough to bid firmly for him.

This is just part of negotiation. And psychology. No one says it has to materialize this season.

There's never a harm in trying. Any I don't see why it is naive or embarrassing. If anything i think it makes clubs more wary, because they know we can pay and we are on the prowl.

Like Martial, Wenger backed off because he believed Monaco when they said they wouldn't sell. Turns out, they do have a breaking point. Most clubs and players do.
Messi is unbuyable surely, because he is already the king at Barcelona and getting paid whatever he wants.

Suarez - Considering the history and his age, it doesn't make sense to get him.

Neymar is young, very marketable, probably wants the Balon d'or sooner rather than later. Having to say Messi is the best in every interview probably does get annoying.

Sigma

Why did we try for Neymar and not Messi? or Suarez? Maybe because we got the slightest encouragement? Or maybe because in probabilistic terms it had a better chance?

In any case, it is about planting seeds. Also it unsettles a player. If ever there was a chance Neymar gets rattled, he will remember Utd were sincere enough to bid firmly for him.

This is just part of negotiation. And psychology. No one says it has to materialize this season.

There's never a harm in trying. Any I don't see why it is naive or embarrassing. If anything i think it makes clubs more wary, because they know we can pay and we are on the prowl.

Like Martial, Wenger backed off because he believed Monaco when they said they wouldn't sell. Turns out, they do have a breaking point. Most clubs and players do.
I wouldn't take Suarez even we wouldn't have to pay any money at all.

Hojoon

Contract renewals and huge bonuses for probably everyone after winning the treble. I don't think letting Neymar leave is even a consideration, but there's been some noise that they have to look after their finances seriously.

Bwuk

I could see Neymar leaving Barca one day. Don't see him as someone who will stay at the same club for long.

We'd be daft not too be interested.

Mainoldo

I could see Neymar leaving Barca one day. Don't see him as someone who will stay at the same club for long.

Can see him coming here next season to be honest as Rooney's heir.

He gets to be the real big fish and if the plan for this team furfills we will be challenging the best in the world next year.

Kakeru

I would have a go if the door gets open anyhow. After all, I don't see how 2 roosters (Messi and Neymar) can co-exist for long in a same chicken pen (Barcelona).

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Why is this so unrealistic? All you have to do pay someone more money.

Question234

If that was the case we would of had our bids for muller and bale accepted, Neymar too.

It's about so much more than the money. Especially when dealing with clubs like barca, bayern and madrid.

The Man Himself

If that was the case we would of had our bids for muller and bale accepted, Neymar too.

It's about so much more than the money. Especially when dealing with clubs like barca, bayern and madrid.
It's somewhere in middle. It is definitely not unrealistic but quite tough. I feel once we get a big name player, who settles and helps us win trophies, others can/will follow. Initially we will face disappointment. These big clubs won't want to look like fools by selling such world class players to us. The weakened team plus fan backlash is not something they want. So it will be quite tough to get the first big name whom their club don't want to sell (AdM doesn't count in this). Once we get that, we will settle a bit and look to build team around him(which may not be with only big names), plus then the club will become more attractive destination for other big names, if needed.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Are people on here actually asking us to show less ambition in the transfer market?

:lol:

Moriarty

Messi is unbuyable surely, because he is already the king at Barcelona and getting paid whatever he wants.

Suarez - Considering the history and his age, it doesn't make sense to get him.

Neymar is young, very marketable, probably wants the Balon d'or sooner rather than later. Having to say Messi is the best in every interview probably does get annoying.
No thanks. Even if we offered him a ton of money, I doubt he'd come here even if Barca were willing to let him go. Just out of curiosity though, I wonder how many United fans would be willing to forgive and forget if he did pull on the shirt? Not sure I would. But on the plus side of things, I'd love watching the scousers going apeshit if he signed for United.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
With Messi and Ronaldo still in playing at a high level it won't matter whether he's in EPL or not to boost his Balon D'Or chances. Actually he has more of a chance staying at Barca than elsewhere, along with his excellent NT career so far. I can only see him leaving if the tax case becomes too big of an issue for both of the club and player.

Financially, our Qatari sponsorship is expiring this June, and the reports say they are preparing to offer at least 60M per year for the shirt sponsorship, so even more if we count in the training kit and etc. Won't be surprised if they offer us a historical sponsorship deal.

clarkydaz

as ridiculous as it sounds to even think of him leaving Barca, Neymar in the premier league has a whiff of the DiMarias to me

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
as ridiculous as it sounds to even think of him leaving Barca, Neymar in the premier league has a whiff of the DiMarias to me
No way whatsoever. Neymar proven time and time again that he's the real deal. He's an attacker and a goal threat. He'd score 25+ comfortably in the EPL.

Sam

We really were going with the scatter gun 'try and nab a world class attacker, any world class attacker' approach this Summer weren't we?

Dante

Average bang
I'd agree with this. He'd get chewed up and spat out by Premier League defending - not because he isn't talented enough, just because he weighs about 7 stone soaking wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.