Neymar

buchansleftleg

Given the issues the club has faced with the Greenwood situation I'd suggest keeping a healthy distance away from Neymar as well. The French press is pretty tame and France has very strong "privacy" laws. The international press would have a field day with him in the UK. I bet Tuchel is secretly hoping he doesn't roll up at Chelsea!

Conor

Given the issues the club has faced with the Greenwood situation I'd suggest keeping a healthy distance away from Neymar as well. The French press is pretty tame and France has very strong "privacy" laws. The international press would have a field day with him in the UK. I bet Tuchel is secretly hoping he doesn't roll up at Chelsea!
Not really sure what you're suggesting about him here?

GlasgowCeltic

Chelsea’s attack has lacked star quality since Hazard, would be a good short term signing I think, injuries etc notwithstanding

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I had no idea Neymar had the same level of allegations as Greenwood?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Assuming we’re signing Sterling, I’m wondering where Neymar would potentially play. Has he ever even been deployed on the right? I don’t really watch PSG. Hard to see him thriving up top getting the shit kicked out of him in the PL.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Assuming we’re signing Sterling, I’m wondering where Neymar would potentially play. Has he ever even been deployed on the right? I don’t really watch PSG. Hard to see him thriving up top getting the shit kicked out of him in the PL.
Neymar would be brilliant while he was on the pitch in any league. Whether he could be arsed playing more than about 20 games a season is another question, though. :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If he comes with proper motivation and fitness I think he'd rip it up here.

the_cliff

If he comes with proper motivation and fitness I think he'd rip it up here.
That's his problem. Neymar would be the best player in the world if he wanted, no doubt.

The problem with him is I don't think he's bothered all that much. If you look at how he plays for his national team compared to his average PSG performance it's night and day. Such a confusing player. He's had a brilliant career tbf but it shows just how talented he is that the majority think he hasn't hit anywhere the levels his potential suggests.

wr8_utd

:'(
He'd be wasted on the right but he's already used to be kicked all over the place in Ligue 1 so he'll be just fine. The man still has 1-2 years of top quality football left.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That's his problem. Neymar would be the best player in the world if he wanted, no doubt.

The problem with him is I don't think he's bothered all that much. If you look at how he plays for his national team compared to his average PSG performance it's night and day. Such a confusing player. He's had a brilliant career tbf but it shows just how talented he is that the majority think he hasn't hit anywhere the levels his potential suggests.
Think it is easy not to be motivated at PSG though.

the_cliff

True. That could be it but his general behaviour over the last 5 years seems to suggest otherwise.

I actually think it started that last season at Barca iirc they weren't happy with him constantly arriving late to training and more recently I read a report that at PSG he's turned up to training a couple times drunk. The drunk one is probably bollocks but there's no smoke without fire.

largelyworried

Hard to see too much interest in Neymar this summer. The number of clubs that can both afford and want him are few. Don't see us, Liverpool, Bayern or City being interested for different reasons, don't think Barca or the big Italian clubs could afford him.

Chelsea are definitely an option, but while Tuchel seemed to get on ok with Neymar at PSG, he doesn't feel like someone he'd go out of his way to recruit again. I guess Real have a hole in their squad given the Mbappe debacle.

RedStarUnited

I think the biggest misconception of all regarding him is that he doesn't care when he's on the pitch, when the opposite has dogged his career and caused him numerous problems.

When his teams are in trouble he goes into 'hero mode' where he feels he has to do everything by himself, which leads to poor decision making and what looks like greed, but I think he's one of few players who shows how much he cares by trying to over contribute during periods of despair, and it has always been an interesting facet to the criticism he gets about being a showpony or what have you when he's doing what he believes is best for the team.

For as long as his head is in the game, he'll give what he can to a team and not leave fans disappointed with that aspect of his game. He isn't a shirker and he doesn't hide when the going gets tough, which I would say is endearing to the fans of a club he plays for.
Was coming to say the same. You can never fault him for effort.

#W203_Red

Thats an important point. Unmotivated he delivers good number
Agree - Doesn’t ever have to get out of second gear and still produces great numbers so think that is an important point.

With the right move there is every chance he could reignite his motivation. The premier league would benefit massively from having players like Neymar in it.

Neymar at City or Liverpool is a scarier thought in my mind than Nunez and Haaland purchases.

Herman Toothrot

Not once he dons your shirt and suddenly the most technically gifted player since Messi is doing it for your side.
I'd be happy for him to be at Chelsea. It is tough enough supporting modern football clubs, I don't want to add cheering on this prick into the mix.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
If his wages were merely huge and not stratospheric I think Boehly may indeed want to make a splashy signing. But I don’t think any club in world football other than PSG would take on 30 year old Neymar’s salary. The only other club that really could is Real Madrid but even they spend more sensibly now. Yes, they offered monster wages to Mbappe but he’s 7 years younger than Neymar and will only get better.

I think he’s stuck in Paris until his contract runs down and my bet is that he ends up in MLS in a few years time.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If his wages were merely huge and not stratospheric I think Boehly may indeed want to make a splashy signing. But I don’t think any club in world football other than PSG would take on 30 year old Neymar’s salary. The only other club that really could is Real Madrid but even they spend more sensibly now. Yes, they offered monster wages to Mbappe but he’s 7 years younger than Neymar and will only get better.

I think he’s stuck in Paris until his contract runs down and my bet is that he ends up in MLS in a few years time.
If PSG wants rid of him badly enough, they might pay part of the salary.

He is owed like 200m more on his current contract in total, which is just insane.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea were after him even before he went to Barcelona.
That's true. I remember believing it was a done deal back in 2010. Bruce Buck himself travelled down to Brazil to speak with Santos and Neymar's representatives. There was an offer on the table but Neymar decided (or was advised) it was best to stay at Santos for a bit longer before moving to Europe, which made sense. He was just 18 at the time. He moved to Barca 2-3 years later.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If PSG wants rid of him badly enough, they might pay part of the salary.

He is owed like 200m more on his current contract in total, which is just insane.
The player himself, I have no problems with coming to Chelsea. It would be a very exciting thing to see, but yeah the wages involved are eye-watering compared to the already eye-watering wages we have at Chelsea.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

I guess a really great manager would get the best out of him. Are you reading this Sir Alex? :)

Seriously, part of me agrees with everyone expressing doubts but part of me would love to see him in a United shirt. People forget that Eric Cantona was seen by some as a trouble maker. Probably irrelevant as he doesn't, to me, feel like a ETH sort of player

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This in The Sun

Neymar reps 'contact Man United'

Man United have reportedly been contacted by PSG star Neymar's representatives over a possible move.

The Brazil international is surplus to requirements at PSG who desperately want to flog him.

And 90min claim his camp have approached the Red Devils to see if they'll take the unwanted attacker.

He's also been linked with Chelsea and Newcastle, who are the few clubs who can afford him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The player himself, I have no problems with coming to Chelsea. It would be a very exciting thing to see, but yeah the wages involved are eye-watering compared to the already eye-watering wages we have at Chelsea.
But it's Neymar. You're entering completely different territory with this level of player, which comes at a premium.

He's in the bracket of a literal handful of players who can outright command such wages without any under-the-table dodginess.

sancho1983

This in The Sun

Neymar reps 'contact Man United'

Man United have reportedly been contacted by PSG star Neymar's representatives over a possible move.

The Brazil international is surplus to requirements at PSG who desperately want to flog him.

And 90min claim his camp have approached the Red Devils to see if they'll take the unwanted attacker.

He's also been linked with Chelsea and Newcastle, who are the few clubs who can afford him.
We should steer well clear of him. An absolute waster on huge money. No thanks

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But it's Neymar. You're entering completely different territory with this level of player, which comes at a premium.

He's in the bracket of a literal handful of players who can outright command such wages without any under-the-table dodginess.
He may be able to command such wages but Chelsea paying them seems a bit unrealistic. With rumours of PSG being willljng to subsidise his wages for a loan move though, I can see Chelsea being willing to entertain this move.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He may be able to command such wages but Chelsea paying them seems a bit unrealistic. With rumours of PSG being willljng to subsidise his wages for a loan move though, I can see Chelsea being willing to entertain this move.
I don't know how many chances any club in this league has had to sign an established megastar (Messi accepted) in recent times; I'd say it's quite unprecedented, which might lead to you doing something out of the realms of normalcy, too?

Of course, if you're serious about it and can wrangle subsidy you're going to do it, but even if you can't, he may be too tempting to turn down, especially so as it's one hell of a statement signing for new owners.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
To play where, though, if we are signing Sterling? Neymar left, Sterling right? Both are much better in the left I thought?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
To play where, though, if we are signing Sterling? Neymar left, Sterling right? Both are much better in the left I thought?
Neymar is fantastic through the middle too, or coming off the middle. And he's getting to an age where he might prefer to be central.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Neymar is fantastic through the middle too, or coming off the middle. And he's getting to an age where he might prefer to be central.
Tuchel is keen on pressing high and “defending from the front” and Havertz is key to that since he’s hard working and plays best centrally. Can’t really say the same for Neymar.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Tuchel is keen on pressing high and “defending from the front” and Havertz is key to that since he’s hard working and plays best centrally. Can’t really say the same for Neymar.
But you surely believe things get shuffled around to best allow Neymar to shine, right?

This is a player whose goals and assists ratios, - and constant threat via overall playmaking contribution - really will take whoever acquires him up notches.

I think Tuchel modifies your team if you land the player, personally.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
But you surely believe things get shuffled around to best allow Neymar to shine, right?

This is a player whose goals and assists ratios, - and constant threat via overall playmaking contribution - really will take whoever acquires him up notches.

I think Tuchel modifies your team if you land the player, personally.
If he’s willing to move to Chelsea and Tuchel is good with it obviously you take him and figure out how to make it work later. But I’m very skeptical of how well he’d fit.