g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Neymar

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
As I said, people interpret too much in stuff like that. Salah for example would never have achieved the output level he achieved if he didn't play for Klopp. But we'll see anyway if he really joins Chelsea. As I said, mark my words ;)
People interpret too much about players scoring and creating goals? I feel like that's pretty fundamental. I can't imagine Ronaldo or Salah having too many seasons where they didn't score in the CL...

copen1945

I hope United would consider the Neymar transfer seriously now. He is a footballer and an entertainer, a type that United must have.

Swedish_Plumber

I hope United would consider the Neymar transfer seriously now. He is a footballer and an entertainer, a type that United must have.
Have you watched our diabolical transfer strategy play out over the last 8 years?

He’d be the absolute pinnacle of that shite strategy but I wouldn’t put it past us doing it if Ronaldo does leave.

lsd

The Oracle
This is a very much 2 + 2 = 5 scenario If we replaced Ronnie with Neymar

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The last thing ETH wants when he’s trying to create a team first environment with everyone buying into his detailed and demanding style is Neymar - as fun as it would be to see him play for us before he inevitably stops being arsed/injured.

Dazzmondo

I just can't see a move for Neymar working. Yes, obviously he has incredible talent but he misses so much of the season, and this is a consistent theme now, it's not just a one-off season of injuries. I also don't like a lot of the extra behind the scenes pull he seems to have at PSG. I wouldn't be happy with this one tbh. It feels like it would be a big mistake.

Dansk

This really says it all about him:

It's absolutely not something we should be gambling on at this stage. We're not in a position to make risky transfers.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
In the same way CR7 wants out due to no CL or chance of competing for the title, why would Neymar want to leave the comfort and luxury of PSG to go to a United team that’s starting a total, ground up rebuild?

cyberman

In the same way CR7 wants out due to no CL or chance of competing for the title, why would Neymar want to leave the comfort and luxury of PSG to go to a United team that’s starting a total, ground up rebuild?
Neymar isn’t 38

Ted Lasso

I think this narrative that he's lazy and can't be arsed has developed a life of itself. The stories of him attending his sisters birthday and pretending to be injured for instance are completely made up. Among the biggest names in football (Cristiano, Mbappe, Messi and Neymar), he's actually the one who works the most against the ball. All the antics etc. are only in the foreground because people don't watch him play football anymore. Once he's back on their horizon, they'll again see what he's capable of and the other things become less important. That was also the case when PSG went on their CL final run. That was also the most professional we've seen Neymar probably in his entire career and Tuchel was his coach back then.

He will. As good as they are, none of them is as good as Neymar. The only one I can see getting to this level is Sancho who's also incredibly gifted on the ball but lacks the acceleration Neymar has. Cristiano is just a shadow of the player he was when he left the league.

Yep, exactly. They are all great but no Neymars.
I'm just going to go ahead and believe everything you say and hold out hope for this. I love the transfer season for this very reason

The last thing ETH wants when he’s trying to create a team first environment with everyone buying into his detailed and demanding style is Neymar - as fun as it would be to see him play for us before he inevitably stops being arsed/injured.
Agreed.

As much as I hoped for Ronaldo to stay, seems clear to me that ETH has green lighted this, which we all knew was a strong possibility due to how demanding he will be when implementing his style on the squad.

copen1945

Have you watched our diabolical transfer strategy play out over the last 8 years?

He’d be the absolute pinnacle of that shite strategy but I wouldn’t put it past us doing it if Ronaldo does leave.
It has been said that we and Man City have spent similar amounts. The difference between the two clubs is that they can spend all their money on football players solely for football. We, on the other hand, need to pay bills as well as play football. Thus, we have had a 'Pogback' along with a Matic. Looks as if Ronaldo is heading out the door, so we need a box office attraction. The odd noodle and alcohol sponsorships won't come with Frenkie, as excellent as he is. Erik will take care of the football side. We still need eye balls of consumers and sponsors that follow them.

::sonny::

Psg are desperate to get rid of him

They offered him to Juve as well, but he wants Barca and maybe with the De Jong money they can do it

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is going no where with his current wages. No one else can afford him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would rather spend the money on 2-3 young forwards with potential than him.

wr8_utd

:'(
Isn't it usually November/December he takes off to party with his sister? How's he going to manage that with the WC this year?
He does that in March for her birthday so the World Cup will be fine.

Abraxas

It has been said that we and Man City have spent similar amounts. The difference between the two clubs is that they can spend all their money on football players solely for football. We, on the other hand, need to pay bills as well as play football. Thus, we have had a 'Pogback' along with a Matic. Looks as if Ronaldo is heading out the door, so we need a box office attraction. The odd noodle and alcohol sponsorships won't come with Frenkie, as excellent as he is. Erik will take care of the football side. We still need eye balls of consumers and sponsors that follow them.
You say "Erik takes care of the football side" but if the club thrusts upon him injury prone 30 year olds that expect to be offered hybrid working on massive amounts of money...that job becomes difficult. How do you maintain a dressing room when your highest paid superstar isn't actually concerned with football? It sets up a tricky dynamic for the manager to deal with when on the one hand he is demanding a team mentality and work-rate and then on the other you've a player accustomed to operating under his own steam. You cannot credibly sell that to the squad.

It's a sticking plaster job. Yes you get eyeballs but at some point we will lose our commercial luster if we continue to fail. We are presently trading on the vestiges of a Man Utd brand that is associated with success and a worldwide fanbase. The longer we are uncompetitive the more difficult that will be to maintain as new generations watch football. At the moment we are commercially strong by default, we are probably leaving a shit load of money on the table by being shite, both by falling out of the CL and our weakening commercial proposition.

The only way to arrest it in the long term is to start building on good sporting foundations. It doesn't mean we never sign a superstar, if they're the right superstar and it suits the team. But this isn't the time or the squad to be doing it with and certainly not with Neymar.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's an immense player buy a deal to us makes no sense. He's at the age and level where he needs to challenge for everything

GoldanoGraham

In Woody’s reign he’d have been all over this - thankfully that ship has now sailed.

copen1945

Neymar and Ronaldo, the fallen stars, are possibly on the move. Even Lewandowski might get himself a move. This is a strange transfer window. The de Jong saga, in comparison, is a matter of routine.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's injured again. Hip injury.

the hea

Isn't he more interested in partying on yachts than playing football these days? I seriously doubt any club would be willing to pay him or PSG what they would demand.

jesperjaap

Dont want him to come here but I woul dadd Dybala too and Dembele before he signed thenew contract....would love to see them in the premiership though somewhere like Newcastle as an obvious example.

They are all seriously talented and entertaining footballers, unfortunately all with red flags from attitude or injuries and salaries.

Saying that though, we are probably signing Eriksen and I dont see him in a midfield two as many seem to be wrting, another number 10 and competition for Fernandes...............as a free signing as a number 10, would have Dybala over Eriksen for sure

RedStarUnited

You say "Erik takes care of the football side" but if the club thrusts upon him injury prone 30 year olds that expect to be offered hybrid working on massive amounts of money...that job becomes difficult. How do you maintain a dressing room when your highest paid superstar isn't actually concerned with football? It sets up a tricky dynamic for the manager to deal with when on the one hand he is demanding a team mentality and work-rate and then on the other you've a player accustomed to operating under his own steam. You cannot credibly sell that to the squad.
Where do you get this from?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I would love him at United just for those games when you got to see him at his best. He is a wonderful footballer when he is on it.

But his lack of elite commitment and the fact that he has been getting lumps kicked out of his slight frame since he was 16 in Brazil, means his best days are gone.

He is currently updating his fans on social media about his foot and they are a mess. I am sure the niggles will just continue to add up.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mark my words ;)

Once he plays in the EPL it will be much harder for people to ignore his insane quality. And I'm pretty sure he'll outshine the likes of de Bruyne, Salah, Kane, Haaland, Son, Kante, Thiago, van Dijk or whoever people consider the currently best player in England. Neymar is a different level of quality to all of those. Could imagine that he'll quickly be considered the best in the world if he plays in the limelight that English football is. I don't think the EPL had a player of this quality since Cristiano left for Madrid.
Only if he could finish a full season, which it seems he couldn’t anymore.