Neymar

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The fact less than a year ago Newcastle were close to the relegation zone and now being linked to Neymar should be ringing those FFP alarm bells.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Convenient move for neymar if he comes to chelsea not desired one. That's big problem. Whatever his relationship with tuchel,just dont see it's good for him or chelsea in long term.

UncleBob

In terms of ability on the ball he's brilliant.

Doesn't have the mentality to match it, just fecking absurd to leave that Barcelona side to be a big star for PSG in the fecking farmers league.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know how many chances any club in this league has had to sign an established megastar (Messi accepted) in recent times; I'd say it's quite unprecedented, which might lead to you doing something out of the realms of normalcy, too?

Of course, if you're serious about it and can wrangle subsidy you're going to do it, but even if you can't, he may be too tempting to turn down, especially so as it's one hell of a statement signing for new owners.
I just can’t see it, is what I’m saying. As a player is take him in an instant, even if it’s just a loan, but without PSG subsidising his astronomical wages, I can’t see Chelsea going anywhere near Neymar.

The idea of Neymar at Chelsea is obviously very exciting but he makes what, £31m a year? No one is going to take that contract on outright.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I just can’t see it, is what I’m saying. As a player is take him in an instant, even if it’s just a loan, but without PSG subsidising his astronomical wages, I can’t see Chelsea going anywhere near Neymar.

The idea of Neymar at Chelsea is obviously very exciting but he makes what, £31m a year? No one is going to take that contract on outright.
I agree his wages are astronomical, but it isn't all take; he brings money into a club, too, especially if they are savvy enough to get timely sponsorship deals.

It depends on the direction Chelsea are going, too, doesn't it? Aren't your new owners renowned for razzmatazz and name signings? There are a hands' worth of players with this level of profile, in turn, he brings the desire of other top players to play with him; Chelsea become a more attractive proposition to a higher echelon of player off the back of Neymar.

It's not a cut and shut on his wages alone as it comes down to what a club is intending to use such gravitas for. PSG did exactly that with him; there's no reason you wouldn't, is there?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
People suggesting Tuchel would not want him are wrong, I believe. Neymar would most likely be the best player in the league instantly. I doubt any coach would pass on him if given the chance. Actually, I even wonder if Pep would have gone for Haaland if he knew Neymar would become available.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
People suggesting Tuchel would not want him are wrong, I believe. Neymar would most likely be the best player in the league instantly. I doubt any coach would pass on him if given the chance. Actually, I even wonder if Pep would have gone for Haaland if he knew Neymar would become available.
Come on

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mark my words ;)

Once he plays in the EPL it will be much harder for people to ignore his insane quality. And I'm pretty sure he'll outshine the likes of de Bruyne, Salah, Kane, Haaland, Son, Kante, Thiago, van Dijk or whoever people consider the currently best player in England. Neymar is a different level of quality to all of those. Could imagine that he'll quickly be considered the best in the world if he plays in the limelight that English football is. I don't think the EPL had a player of this quality since Cristiano left for Madrid.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I agree his wages are astronomical, but it isn't all take; he brings money into a club, too, especially if they are savvy enough to get timely sponsorship deals.

It depends on the direction Chelsea are going, too, doesn't it? Aren't your new owners renowned for razzmatazz and name signings? There are a hands' worth of players with this level of profile, in turn, he brings the desire of other top players to play with him; Chelsea become a more attractive proposition to a higher echelon of player off the back of Neymar.

It's not a cut and shut on his wages alone as it comes down to what a club is intending to use such gravitas for. PSG did exactly that with him; there's no reason you wouldn't, is there?
I hear you. It still seems a bit too out of our range, his wages. You’re not wrong though about the Dodgers’ way of building teams and signing Neymar would fit with that model and the marketability he brings to the table which these owners would undoubtedly love.

crossy1686

career ending
In terms of ability on the ball he's brilliant.

Doesn't have the mentality to match it, just fecking absurd to leave that Barcelona side to be a big star for PSG in the fecking farmers league.
We all said it at the time. Wasted his career as the heir to the throne in order to chance coin. There’s no shame in that but he was knocking at the door of one of the best players in the world and could have dethroned Messi or Ronaldo if he’d have stayed in a competitive league.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Mark my words ;)

Once he plays in the EPL it will be much harder for people to ignore his insane quality. And I'm pretty sure he'll outshine the likes of de Bruyne, Salah, Kane, Haaland, Son, Kante, Thiago, van Dijk or whoever people consider the currently best player in England. Neymar is a different level of quality to all of those. Could imagine that he'll quickly be considered the best in the world if he plays in the limelight that English football is. I don't think the EPL had a player of this quality since Cristiano left for Madrid.
He's a half arsed, injury prone show pony. Not the same player he was back in 2014 when he carried Brazil on his shoulders for example. Too many years of taking it easy. Still great to watch of course but would be nowhere near the best players in the league for me.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He's a half arsed, injury prone show pony. Not the same player he was back in 2014 when he carried Brazil on his shoulders for example. Too many years of taking it easy. Still great to watch of course but would be nowhere near the best players in the league for me.
Pretty much where I stand as well. Pre AFCON Salah head and shoulders above him, don't even see him better than Son in the PL

Lee565

Has he not just exercised a clause in his contract that allowed him to extend his stay with psg?

Sir Erik ten Hag

Mark my words ;)

Quite a bold statement to think he would outshine the likes of Salah, De Bruyne, Son, Haaland, Nunez, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho...

Not to mention that Cristiano you mentioned at the end is at the Premier League too.

Sanchez7

Quite a bold statement to think he would outshine the likes of Salah, De Bruyne, Son, Haaland, Nunez, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho...

Not to mention that Cristiano you mentioned at the end is at the Premier League too.
This a joke? You think Neymar will struggle to outperform those guys?

Nero

In 5 seasons in Paris he's only made more than 20 league appearances once.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pretty much where I stand as well. Pre AFCON Salah head and shoulders above him, don't even see him better than Son in the PL

You're all insane!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think so, yeah. Salah (pre AFCON), De Bruyne, VVD, Kane and maybe Son are all better players in my book
Madness!

Not because they're bad, but because he is outrageously good, if he wants to be.

They may have had better seasons, but starting from a flat 0, all motivated and on form, he's a distance from any of them, even De Bruyne.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think this narrative that he's lazy and can't be arsed has developed a life of itself. The stories of him attending his sisters birthday and pretending to be injured for instance are completely made up. Among the biggest names in football (Cristiano, Mbappe, Messi and Neymar), he's actually the one who works the most against the ball. All the antics etc. are only in the foreground because people don't watch him play football anymore. Once he's back on their horizon, they'll again see what he's capable of and the other things become less important. That was also the case when PSG went on their CL final run. That was also the most professional we've seen Neymar probably in his entire career and Tuchel was his coach back then.

He will. As good as they are, none of them is as good as Neymar. The only one I can see getting to this level is Sancho who's also incredibly gifted on the ball but lacks the acceleration Neymar has. Cristiano is just a shadow of the player he was when he left the league.

Madness!

Not because they're bad, but because he is outrageously good, if he wants to be.

They may have had better seasons, but starting from a flat 0, all motivated and on form, he's a distance from any of them, even De Bruyne.
Yep, exactly. They are all great but no Neymars.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Madness!

So do you insist on the birthday visits or is it his idea :D ?

TwoSheds

I think this narrative that he's lazy and can't be arsed has developed a life of itself. The stories of him attending his sisters birthday and pretending to be injured for instance are completely made up. Among the biggest names in football (Cristiano, Mbappe, Messi and Neymar), he's actually the one who works the most against the ball. All the antics etc. are only in the foreground because people don't watch him play football anymore. Once he's back on their horizon, they'll again see what he's capable of and the other things become less important. That was also the case when PSG went on their CL final run. That was also the most professional we've seen Neymar probably in his entire career and Tuchel was his coach back then.

He will. As good as they are, none of them is as good as Neymar. The only one I can see getting to this level is Sancho who's also incredibly gifted on the ball but lacks the acceleration Neymar has. Cristiano is just a shadow of the player he was when he left the league.

Yep, exactly. They are all great but no Neymars.
I've watched him play plenty in the CL. He can still dribble and create but end product? Not really. And pressing / tracking back? You're taking the piss. Doing it more than Messi is hardly a high bar at this point.

Swedish_Plumber

Madness!

When was the last time he was motivated though? And who’s to say moving to the PL will? As others have already said he’s barely played football the last few seasons.

Then you look at the players you say will instantly be outshone by him if he was to move and the likes of Salah and KDB have arguably done more in football now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Right, motivation and appetite is a perennial question, and admittedly, where he may fall short, who can say?

But base ends, he's Neymar, legitimately in the company of a handful of players on the planet.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I watched that CL Final and Neymar was laughably bad that day. Mbappe performed better than him, yet I think that was one of Mbappe's worst matches I've ever seen.

Righteous Steps

Mark my words ;)

Hes not a different level of quality to those you named at all. Those are all top players, where Neymar may have them beat on natural talent, application mentality and work rate are all qualities which make other players with lesser talent close the gap.

TsuWave

Will absolutely take the piss out of the prem if he comes. Special player.

Bojan Djordjic

He's better than all of those. Only Salah and De Bruyne near him of those you mentioned. The injuries are his biggest issue.

Stadjer

I watched that CL Final and Neymar was laughably bad that day. Mbappe performed better than him, yet I think that was one of Mbappe's worst matches I've ever seen.
A bad (final) game doesnt make him a bad player. You could say he has too many injuries or isnt focussed on football but downplaying Neymar his footballing ability is just wrong. He is still one of the best and most talented players in the world.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
A bad (final) game doesnt make him a bad player. You could say he has too many injuries or isnt focussed on football but downplaying Neymar his footballing ability is just wrong. He is still one of the best and most talented players in the world.
Most talented without a doubt, one of the best? Don't see it

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I've watched him play plenty in the CL. He can still dribble and create but end product? Not really. And pressing / tracking back? You're taking the piss. Doing it more than Messi is hardly a high bar at this point.
There is only a handful wide players who have the end product Neymar has and those who do are significantly worse at creating chances. The guy has 446 goal contributions in 464 professional games.

I've seen worse games from Mbappe and IMO his final was also worse than Neymar's. Thing is, they've been isolated all game against Bayern who were a superior team. People interpret far too much into individual performances when the opponent has the superior collective.

Hes not a different level of quality to those you named at all. Those are all top players, where Neymar may have them beat on natural talent, application mentality and work rate are all qualities which make other players with lesser talent close the gap.
In your perception. Put Neymar in the same team as any of those players you named and nobody would even entertain the thought that they are better than him. Neymar has arguably made the wrong career move going to PSG but he'd be absolutely insane playing for City for example.

TwoSheds

There is only a handful wide players who have the end product Neymar has and those who do are significantly worse at creating chances. The guy has 446 goal contributions in 464 professional games.

I've seen worse games from Mbappe and IMO his final was also worse than Neymar's. Thing is, they've been isolated all game against Bayern who were a superior team. People interpret far too much into individual performances when the opponent has the superior collective.

In your perception. Put Neymar in the same team as any of those players you named and nobody would even entertain the thought that they are better than him. Neymar has arguably made the wrong career move going to PSG but he'd be absolutely insane playing for City for example.
feck Neymar's career stats, that's not what I'm talking about. He's not the player he was and creating chances in France doesn't disprove that. 0 goals, 2 assists, 0 tracking back in 6 CL games last year. Not good enough.

TsuWave

the premier league isn't the insurmountable obstacle people here think it is. prem clubs regularly get the sonic rings slapped out of them in europe

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
feck Neymar's career stats, that's not what I'm talking about. He's not the player he was and creating chances in France doesn't disprove that. 0 goals, 2 assists, 0 tracking back in 6 CL games last year. Not good enough.
As I said, people interpret too much in stuff like that. Salah for example would never have achieved the output level he achieved if he didn't play for Klopp. But we'll see anyway if he really joins Chelsea. As I said, mark my words ;)

Soomij

I dont think you can argue that he is not of the very highest level from a physical and technical perspective. he has everything you need to achieve ballon d'or success. His kryptonite is his attitude and ego which for him means that he is personally indulged in ways that undermine the cohesivness of a group and the team mentality. I believe that most managers will avoid the circus as what he brings in talent does not overcome the negative aspects of the rest of the baggage he brings

Reactions: Sultan