Neymar

dinostar77

That Sky report probably explains the rumours that PSG will accept €50mil for him. He aint going to move. Not when in a week's time he gets a 5 year deal and 660k a week.

Mental.

ForeverRed1

I don’t want him but....

there’s that little bit of muppet in me that wants to see him in a man United shirt :drool:

copen1945

As Richard explained, United need sponsors. We don't have oil money sitting in bank accounts. Erik is building a football team, but Neymar would pay the bills.

croadyman

As Richard explained, United need sponsors. We don't have oil money sitting in bank accounts. Erik is building a football team, but Neymar would pay the bills.
Yeah would love to see him in a Utd shirt if we had no other issues in the squad never mind the first XI but we do have loads

#W203_Red

I don’t want him but....

there’s that little bit of muppet in me that wants to see him in a man United shirt :drool:
Agree but I actually think it could be an incredibly shrewd signing too… A proper muppet signing but if motivated could transform our attacking threat. We were nowhere near threatening enough last year but what entertainment we would have! Him, Sancho and Ronaldo linking up would be and potentially potent

IF he is still motivated he could easily tear up the league next season. Perhaps with the World Cup on the horizon could be an extra incentive but… a Big IF unfortunately!

personally Would love to see him at OT week in week out. It’s what football is about is entertainment and he would bring that in abundance.

the_cliff

That Sky report probably explains the rumours that PSG will accept €50mil for him. He aint going to move. Not when in a week's time he gets a 5 year deal and 660k a week.

Mental.
PSG would have to do a Sanchez and pay some of his wages to get rid of him never mind 50 mill.

allen7

Have a feeling that Chelsea is gonna miss their key targets and under pressure, they’ll sign Neymar on deadline day.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He seems to be done, I would be very surprised if he's a smash hit wherever he goes next.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Have a feeling that Chelsea is gonna miss their key targets and under pressure, they’ll sign Neymar on deadline day.
Chelsea signing Neymar with a deal not inferior to that 660k/week in 5 years? I highly doubt that.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
PSG would have to do a Sanchez and pay some of his wages to get rid of him never mind 50 mill.
I was going to say exactly the same thing.

I'd take £50 for my old fridge, but in reality I'll have to pay to get it taken away, if the automatic contract is true, PSG are fecked, and best they can hope for is to loan him out for the next 5 years covering most of his wages, or pay him a lump sum to leave, but that contract would be worth £156m over the five years - either that or invite him to the consulate Paris...

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Has anyone got a proper source for the automatic contract thing? Would want to see that in writing.

Personally I’d love to see him play for us - I’ve watched him in person before and he’s a fighter, he’s tougher than you might think.

If it was 50m on a 3 year deal, why not? Bit of a Greenwood replacement if nothing else

Morpheus 7

Has anyone got a proper source for the automatic contract thing? Would want to see that in writing.

Personally I’d love to see him play for us - I’ve watched him in person before and he’s a fighter, he’s tougher than you might think.

If it was 50m on a 3 year deal, why not? Bit of a Greenwood replacement if nothing else
Nice try Ed.

iKnowNothing

I saw Sky reporting that if Neymar isn’t sold by next Friday, then he automatically gets a new 5 year contract taking him to 2027 on £600k per week.
That’s horrible - why would the club put such a clause in? Auto renew for 5 years at 30 years old seems so much.

Also, I guess if such a clause exists, then it could have kicked in already? July 1st sounds more reasonable than a random date like July 8th or second Friday of July. But then this is the club which put the bizarre auto renew clause, so what do I know :wenger:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Bringing him in is like inviting the Kardashian family into a shit night club where they couldn't spend 1 minute without groaning about how bad the place is.

ForeverRed1

Agree but I actually think it could be an incredibly shrewd signing too… A proper muppet signing but if motivated could transform our attacking threat. We were nowhere near threatening enough last year but what entertainment we would have! Him, Sancho and Ronaldo linking up would be and potentially potent

IF he is still motivated he could easily tear up the league next season. Perhaps with the World Cup on the horizon could be an extra incentive but… a Big IF unfortunately!

personally Would love to see him at OT week in week out. It’s what football is about is entertainment and he would bring that in abundance.
It would be ultimate muppet signing but I got a feeling he’ll end up at Chelsea. it would be awesome. His wages would be ridiculous though and not sure he wouldn’t just be another player to upset this dresssing room. Not sure we need another huge ego just yet. It’s one of those that if it went good it would be a great signing but if it’s bad.. it’s really really bad. Can’t see us going for him anyway.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

Nice try Ed.
Haha busted ;)

To be fair I’m biased af, my little brother randomly became a massive fan of his when he was still at Santos, we met him before the Olympics final in London etc

So very much a heart over head type of thing, I know he’d be a distraction most likely

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Would love to have him at OT, would be special, would need to reduce his wages and keep him fit, just not the right type of player we need at this stage of his career.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Quite simply, Neymar just doesn't come with his football ability. It's the baggage and his on-field attitude which is the issue.

Real Name

Quite simply, Neymar just doesn't come with his football ability. It's the baggage and his on-field attitude which is the issue.
For a start we'd loose him in February for his sister's birthday, among other of his shenenigans.

crossy1686

career ending
If PSG are tired of him, and bearing in mind they allow him to go to Brazil every year for his sisters birthday and the Rio carnival, we should stay well fecking clear.

UpWithRivers

Makes no sense on all levels. Will be a fkn stupid, ridiculous move. But.....its fkn Neymar! Some players you just get because of who they are. Sorry that might be selfish and putting fans before club. But who doesnt want to go watch Neymar and Ronaldo at Old Trafford! Ill be telling my grandkids someday if that ever happened. Worth it just for the memory

kthanksbye

If that's true, even if PSG gives him away for free, he wouldn't just agree to move if the buying club not matching that 600k wage and contract length. Also the indulgence he command at PSG. Why would he?
If that's true then I'm sure there'll be a caveat to it, something like, if PSG receive an official bid and Neymar is offered a contract on min amount, this clause is null and void. Or else this is horrendously stupid on PSG's part.

#W203_Red

Makes no sense on all levels. Will be a fkn stupid, ridiculous move. But.....its fkn Neymar! Some players you just get because of who they are. Sorry that might be selfish and putting fans before club. But who doesnt want to go watch Neymar and Ronaldo at Old Trafford! Ill be telling my grandkids someday if that ever happened. Worth it just for the memory
Neymar also ticks a lot of boxes in a footballing sense too… He scored goals, he creates, he entertains, something we have been missing for ages! He would instantly be right up there as one of the best players in the league and could light up Old Trafford… With his skill set we would have a genuine threat to teams wanting to sit back as he has the capability to unlock those defenders and low blocks.

We have to get better on the football pitch, we are football team primarily which we have to focus on. trust the management to get the best out of him.
A gamble, yes but not one that is too far fetched not to be considered.

I stand by it Neymar, Sancho and Ronaldo together is what football is about and with a functioning midfield capable of controlling games would transform us into a top team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hehe. Only De Bruyne could hope to hold a candle to Neymar in the PL; come on people, stop being silly, this is a different stratosphere of player. But ability isn't everything and he's a player nobody would be surprised if he decided he couldn't be bothered with it, as in the game.

A motivated, determined to prove the world wrong, Neymar is obviously a world class, marquee super duper signing: the question any potential suitors should have is whether he still has that in him, and that's where the gamble is, because his wage and baggage if not would be disastrous.

There's also the injuries; he gets called all sorts for supposed diving and feigning injury, yet the fouls and abuse his body receives is shortening his career and reducing his time at the pinnacle of the game - if he got proper protection from refs in the PL, it's a very different proposition to if players are given carte blanche to take chunks out of him. If it's the latter, that's a key asset that could be unscrupulously taken out of commission for weeks/months because of shit, agenda-driven referreeing. It's an additional element of risk to signing one of the most expensive players in the world.

He's a Puma athlete, which also presents a few problems; overall a sponsorship dream capable of bringing a lot of coin and fanfare with him, but no collaborative effort to be made to get him through the doors.

As a whole, I don't think it'd make sense for us, but he and Ronaldo - assuming Neymar came to play - would take the piss out of the league and Sancho would have a field day, too. This is a player who has it in him to win ballon d'ors, I don't care what slant you have on him as a person, objectively he is one of the best players on the planet, with the ability to be the best outright... if he still has that fire in his belly.

We need an rvn

Not sure how reliable Transfer market is, but according to that his Injury record from 2018/19 onwards is as follows

days outgames missed
21/22FitnessFeb 11, 2022Feb 13, 20222 days1
21/22Ankle InjuryNov 29, 2021Feb 10, 202273 days12
21/22Adductor problemsNov 15, 2021Nov 18, 20213 days-
21/22Adductor problemsOct 16, 2021Oct 23, 20217 days1
21/22FitnessAug 1, 2021Aug 26, 202125 days4
20/21Adductor problemsFeb 11, 2021Mar 19, 202136 days9
20/21Ankle problemsDec 14, 2020Jan 10, 202127 days5
20/21RestDec 5, 2020Dec 6, 20201 days1
20/21Adductor problemsOct 28, 2020Nov 19, 202022 days4
20/21Corona virusSep 2, 2020Sep 11, 20209 days1
19/20Bruised RibFeb 3, 2020Feb 16, 202013 days4
19/20Hamstring InjuryOct 14, 2019Nov 20, 201937 days6
19/20FitnessAug 10, 2019Sep 6, 201927 days4
18/19Ruptured ankle ligamentJun 7, 2019Aug 9, 201963 days

A lot of adductor (hip/thigh) and ankle injuries. The hamstring one is probably fairly common after being out for a while.

Head says no from an injury perspective, that's not including the so-called baggage that comes with him and his party lifestyle. Heart says no as his heart doesn't seem to be in it like it used to be. He'd just come here for a final payday.

OverratedOpinion

He would be our best player by a mile but also one of the worst signings we could possibly make.

troylocker

This is of course a big NO.

He's been declining declining since his first season at PSG:

Barca: Averaged around 4000 minutes per season, which is good, and delivered good numbers on the wing every season: avg. 0,62 g/90 and 1,06 g+A/90

First season: 28 goals and 16 assists in 2697 - 0,93 g/90 and 1,47 g+A/90 Great numbers, but too many injuries and too often not fit to play.
The next 4 seasons he played between 2300-2400 minutes every season which is just horribly low for a player that should want to play every match, while his actual output just got a little worse every year with last season as a career low: 0,49 g/90 and 0,79 g+A/90.....
It's obvious that he hasn't been taking training and football very seriously the last few years (steady decline from 25 years old when he really should be entering his peak). The second he signed for Qatar instead of taking the challenge at Barca he showed that he cares more about money than football legacy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think the biggest misconception of all regarding him is that he doesn't care when he's on the pitch, when the opposite has dogged his career and caused him numerous problems.

When his teams are in trouble he goes into 'hero mode' where he feels he has to do everything by himself, which leads to poor decision making and what looks like greed, but I think he's one of few players who shows how much he cares by trying to over contribute during periods of despair, and it has always been an interesting facet to the criticism he gets about being a showpony or what have you when he's doing what he believes is best for the team.

For as long as his head is in the game, he'll give what he can to a team and not leave fans disappointed with that aspect of his game. He isn't a shirker and he doesn't hide when the going gets tough, which I would say is endearing to the fans of a club he plays for.