Nfl 2009-2010

F-Red

This Chargers club of the last five years or so have to be near the top of the list of the worst choke artists in league history, possibly American sports history. So much talent and so many first game losses. Their best chance was when they nearly shocked an undefeated New England side a couple seasons back.
I was going to query that, these past 2 weeks is the first i've started watching NFL on a more frequent basis & the chargers this evening just choked that game, as soon as the Jets went past them on points their head dropped. It's an intriguing sport though, looking forward to the next games now!

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
This Chargers club of the last five years or so have to be near the top of the list of the worst choke artists in league history, possibly American sports history. So much talent and so many first game losses. Their best chance was when they nearly shocked an undefeated New England side a couple seasons back.
I have to agree. They had a good chance and possibly the best team in football in 2006 as well. The Patriots had no business going into San Diego and winning in the Playoffs that year with the likes of Reche Caldwell catching balls. A combination of poor Charger play, Troy Brown magic and of course 12 led to them exiting early. Again.

Alex

The only team teh Chargers seem to be able to beat are the Colts hahha

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I never agreed on SD trading Brees but I never thought Brees would be as good as he is now, although one must consider it's two completely different offensive philosophies. Rivers might be putting up those numbers in New Orleans for all we know. Rivers isn't a bad QB by any means, but I didn't understand offloading a Pro-Bowl QB for an untried, untested player. I think it was a money issue.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I used to be a bolts fan in the 80s. The problem with the Chargers franchise is that they've never had the right coach in place to take them all the way. This has truly been their Achilles heel.

Don Coryell was a fantastic offensive coach at a time when the Chargers had one of the best offenses in perhaps the history of the NFL - Fouts/Winslow/Chandler/Joyner/Jefferson/ etc. The problem then was that their D was equally as bad as their offense was good.

The Bobby Ross coached team of the 90s seemed to eclipse expectations courtesy of a surprise AFC Championship win in Pittsburgh that year, but again, that team really got lucky. And of course the Schottenheimer/Turner coached teams of this past decade didn't have the right mentality to live up to their level of talent.

You put a Jon Gruden or a Bill Cowher in there and you've got a winner. Although its too late now since LT is just about done.

MrMarcello

I think Indy will win by a good ten points or more. They were up 15-10 when Caldwell pulled the starters at 5:36 in the third quarter. Manning was shredding the Jets secondary while playing (14-21, 192 yds). The Jets lone touchdown came on the second half opening kickoff. Painter fumbles on his second series and suddenly the Jets had the lead just before the end of the third quarter. He also threw an interception later. The Jets hadn't done much on offense until some of the starters were pulled.

It was an aberration. And I believe Indy are going to sock it to them.

Alex

Yeah they are done, LT is done, still have Rivers, but it would take a lot to replace LT

MrMarcello

You put a Jon Gruden or a Bill Cowher in there and you've got a winner. Although its too late now since LT is just about done.
Not sold on Gruden but Cowher would be awesome there.

They can find a replacement for LT. Franchise QBs are more common than franchise QBs, WRs or OTs. They could also do what Dallas does and have three really good complimentary backs with different styles. The talent base will be around for another 2-4 years but they should make a coaching change IMO. Turner is a very good OC but not a good HC. Same with Phillips.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Beating you... so I play for the Cowboys? Interesting.

It was a dire performance. And I stand by my belief it was amateur and classless to throw a pass up 24, inside 2:00 and the opponent has zero timeouts. Your opinion doesn't matter to me. Sour grapes if that helps you sleep better.

Go express your anti-United bias while claiming to be a United fan.
I see that you are taking all this good natured ribbing too seriously.

Your last statement above isn't true and doesn't make sense either.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I never agreed on SD trading Brees but I never thought Brees would be as good as he is now, although one must consider it's two completely different offensive philosophies. Rivers might be putting up those numbers in New Orleans for all we know. Rivers isn't a bad QB by any means, but I didn't understand offloading a Pro-Bowl QB for an untried, untested player. I think it was a money issue.
One other thing which may have influenced San Diego’s decision aside from the money issue was Brees’ shoulder and his rehabilitation from the injury. He reportedly preferred Miami over New Orleans at the start of the process but after going through his physical etc they decided not to sign him and followed the advice of their doctors. The contract he got from the Saints was seen as being a bit risky at the time but was obviously the right decision. Miami on the other hand traded a second round pick for Culpepper.

Dyslexic Untied

It's that time of year again where I pick a random NFL team to support before the Super Bowl.

Last year I picked the Ravens only because The Wire is shot in B'more. That didn't go too well.

This year I'm thinking of the Viking cause I'm Norwegian.

Any thoughts or tips?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Vikings are a good bet. Their offense and defense are both operating like a well oiled machine.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Huh?

1. Brees wasn't traded, it was free agency
2. It WAS a money issue, and they had millions invested in Rivers as it was, worth giving him a go... The thing was, the original prognosis of his shoulder injury was long-term, I believe the Chargers fired that doctor the year after (True story).
3. Nobody would have predicted Drew Brees being this good (As you said) so in hindsight it's kind of silly to make that statement... The year after his Pro Bowl season (Which was his contract year) he made MANY vital mistakes and didn't look like a "Top 5 franchise QB"

It's that time of year again where I pick a random NFL team to support before the Super Bowl.

Last year I picked the Ravens only because The Wire is shot in B'more. That didn't go too well.

This year I'm thinking of the Viking cause I'm Norwegian.

Any thoughts or tips?
:lol: you might as well wait until the Super Bowl, there's only 4 fecking teams left

Dyslexic Untied

Huh?

2. It WAS a money issue, and they had millions invested in Rivers as it was, worth giving him a go... The thing was, the original prognosis of his shoulder injury was long-term, I believe the Chargers fired that doctor the year after (True story).
3. Nobody would have predicted Drew Brees being this good (As you said) so in hindsight it's kind of silly to make that statement... The year after his Pro Bowl season (Which was his contract year) he made MANY vital mistakes and didn't look like a "Top 5 franchise QB"

:lol: you might as well wait until the Super Bowl, there's only 4 fecking teams left
The coverage in Norway doesn't really start until now anyway. I'm just doing it for the fun anyway.

MrMarcello

Huh?

I meant free agency and didn't edit my post. I advocated, at the time, keeping the QB that had proven himself over and over, and trading Rivers where SD could actually recoup something (i.e. draft pick(s) and/or a player). It has worked out for the club as Rivers has become a good player himself.

right on

Brees was good in SD but it is two different offensive philosophies. Not sure what you are getting at about the top 5 claim, unless you are referring to his contract demands. It was a tough call for management. SD offered him $50m over 5 years but the first year was loaded with incentives with a $2m base, which Brees felt slighted over (cry me a river, athlete iin disrespected shocker). Miami and NO offered about the same. In fact, the contract he signed with NO was one extra year and $10m extra (same average per) but offered $10m in guaranteed money during the first year plus a $12m option bonus the next season (basically saying if you stay healthy and perform you'll earn the money).

Paddy

paddyf091
:lol: Expected that sort of response from the likes of you.

It was classless and I'm sure you'd have seen it from a different view if it was the other way around.
As a Vikings fan I would admit it was hardly necessary and the 'keeping aggressive' excuse from Childress doesn't really explain it. On the other hand, I tend to read the American Football threads without posting much and I remembered a similar discussion from a while back; so as you said yourself in the BCS Championship game thread:

It's something professionals can handle because you're paid to stop the opponents and play for sixty. As pros on losing ends will say, "We should have stopped them, that's our job." Saban basically told every Texas player I don't respect you, your school or this game. It's all about him and is everywhere he goes. He'll probably bolt Alabama in a couple years when USC come calling or when the Redskins go looking for another "fix" in three seasons.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Fecking Jets. Rex Ryan is going to be unbearable if they make it to the Super Bowl.
He is not that bad.

If he had a foreign accent, a stylish trench coat and called himself the Special One, the media and fans will all be on his side - 'a breath of fresh air'. It's all about the image - since he looks like a pregnant hippo, he can't pull off 'special oneness' as well as Jose. But he seems to be reading from the same playbook - devil may care attitude towards established franchises, mindgames to rattle them, keeping the spotlight away from the team/rookie QB and allowing them to perform without pressure while he doesn't care about appearing like a jerk to the world.

IMO if Dallas had him as the head coach, they would have been in the Superbowl. They had a highly talented squad with no major injuries but didn't have the swagger to go with it (except Miles Austin) and seemed to lack confidence in their abilities at critical moments. Ryan would have sorted that out.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
You guys seem to be ignoring one extremely important fact – he is the head coach of the New York Jets. For someone like him it’s a fine line between being compared to the Big Tuna as I have read recently and being portrayed as an egotistical, loud mouthed beach whale. Some of the ‘mind games’ he tried to play prior to the Patriots fixtures were fecking stupid and had no impact on the result of the game. Kevin O’Connell being named as a game day captain and having all ex-Patriots at the coin toss was pointless.

One thing I do give him credit for is that he gets the best out of his players defensively and knows/plays to their strengths. The way he has used Revis and kept linemen off Harris this year for example has had a big impact on the team as a whole. Regardless, I don’t like and have never liked any Jet aside from the respect I have for Chad Pennington and Ty Law. Rex Ryan can feck right off; I hope he gets locked in a cage with nothing to eat but Celery and with Informer by Snow playing full blast on a continuous loop.

MrMarcello

Dallas wouldn't have fared better against Minnesota with Ryan as HC. Ryan wouldn't have made the OL block the Vikings pass rush better than Phillips. Both are defensive minded coaches. Phillips is better as a DC with his experience, though Ryan might have a great career ahead of him.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Dallas wouldn't have fared better against Minnesota with Ryan as HC. Ryan wouldn't have made the OL block the Vikings pass rush better than Phillips. Both are defensive minded coaches. Phillips is better as a DC with his experience, though Ryan might have a great career ahead of him.
Ay, but Flozell going out was the turning point, With him still in there I think they could have spurned some points.

Hindsight is a pickle, to be honest I can't believe I doubted the Vikings.

Alex

I reckon the NFC Championship Game is going to be very entertaining.

Chapster

oh really?
bloody america

why would you play on sunday
means I can't watch it as i';ll be at work :(

Alex

Sorry, it's a split decision even I am up in the air over it, personally I don't see why they don't do surely that would mean more viewers, not only internationally but domestically. Splitting up the games that is, not playing both on Saturday.

LLMU

Just would like to ask those who watch NFL regularly.
i watched the film The Blind Side recently and being an Ole Miss alumni, i was quite intrigue by this Michael Oher fellow. Is he really that good ?

Alex

Started 16 games as a rookie and a first round pick, pretty darn good

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Oher looked pretty good to me this year and didn’t stand out, which is a good thing for an offensive lineman. He seems to have some versatility as well as he has had a spell on both sides. Apparently he has rubbed a few established players the wrong way on the field though with his attitude and trash talking etc. Jared Allen and Ty Warren in particular have come out and commented on it to the press.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
He also came second in the voting for offensive rookie of the year behind Percy Harvin. Bright future ahead of him.
Just saw that, good for him, in all seriousness it's fantastic.

I wonder how he takes to being a subject on one of the best films of the year, and he's barely 23?

Alex

Oher looked pretty good to me this year and didn’t stand out, which is a good thing for an offensive lineman. He seems to have some versatility as well as he has had a spell on both sides. Apparently he has rubbed a few established players the wrong way on the field though with his attitude and trash talking etc. Jared Allen and Ty Warren in particular have come out and commented on it to the press.
What a bunch of pussies those two are then, whining about trashtalk how about a tampon and some cranberry juice mrs warren