Nfl 2010-2011

muller

So, what will happen to the league this year? Will it be uncapped? Will the most wealthy team with the biggest paying owner be the clear favourite?

Who will be the biggest movers?

Will Favre finally piss off?

How do you think your team will do this year?

Long way to go, but good to talk about it!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Unlike Football, the NFL doesn't have the the problem of wealthy owners buying championships. Although they might try, the salary cap sees to it that they don't.

I think we're going to see the usual suspects back in it again next year. Part of it will depend on off season trades and to a lesser extent how teams draft.

It will be interesting to see what the Cardinals do without Warner. Maybe Farve will go there and try his luck since they already have excellent receivers in place.

I think the Saints have all the right tools to build a Patriots like Dynasty. Maybe go for a Saints - Jets Super Bowl next year.

Alex

It will be uncapped and Washington will spend big and improve greatly.

I don't forsee the Saints building a dynasty Rauol, although they could I just see them as a one off winner.

I reckon Favre will come back another year with Vikings, he'd be stupid not too.

I forsee the Jets, Eagles, and Chargers regressing next year, with the Steelers and Titans having much better seasons. I think SF will make the playoffs next year for the first time in a while.

I forsee the Cowboys winning the SuperBowl at this point, I think they will improve on this year and really get going.

Alex

It's because the contract between the NFL and NFLPA is ending and both sides are playing hard ball more than likely it will be temporarily, but I reckon this year will be uncapped and then if the players continue to play hardball the owners will just lock them out.

gbgary

i hope the cba gets done. jerry jones will be impossible to deal with otherwise.

favre?? he'll be back i think. his mission isn't complete...to shove the lombardy trophy up ted thompson's ass.

Packers to have another good year...hopefully even better than the last.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Unlike Football, the NFL doesn't have the the problem of wealthy owners buying championships. Although they might try, the salary cap sees to it that they don't.
Thanks for that Raoul, but I think he was asking that in the liklihood that it will be an uncapped year next season.

And if Favre doesn't retire why would he move from Minnesota?

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Cheers muller, i didn't want to pre-maturely start this one like I started the MLB one out of pure frustration.

Will it be uncapped? Will the most wealthy team with the biggest paying owner be the clear favourite?

The Cowboys, if it is a capless season, will be the big team to watch, but don't count out the likes of the Redskins, the Steelers, the Raiders and the Patriots, who also have the duckets to make moves... You have to also look at the Rookies coming in this season licking their chops and holding out for big money, I don't know what kind of contracts will be thrown around, but it's looking like it could be a revolution of football, and if big owners can't agree to a CBA this season, and there's long-term issue with them on-going, expect a strike on the horizon.

Who will be the biggest movers?

QB - Chad Pennington might find himself trying to win comeback player of the year again in another market, Henne did enough to hold the Miami starting position so I expect him to be the top FA QB. However, if the CBA falls through, a few Restricted guys become unrestricted, including Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Tavaras Jackson, Kellen Clemens and Chris Redman

I think the darkhorse potentially is Carolina backup Matt Moore if someone wants to tender him a contract offer, but if Carolina is smart they extend him and start him next season.

And then there's what will be Mr. Mike Vick and what he does.

RB - Leon Washington, Chester Taylor, Pierre Thomas (Restricted) and Willie Parker headling the case, but if the CBA falls through, alot of big names coudl find new homes, including: Ronnie Brown, Jerome Harrison (Who ended the season in amazing form), Darren Sproles (Who is making league minimum, Chargers would be dumb to let him go), Le’Ron McClain (Top FB in football right now and only 25), Cadillac Williams, Mike Bell, LenDale White (I expect him to move regardless) & even the quiet Jerious Norwood

WR - TO, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Walter, Vincent Jackson (CBA UFA), Miles Austin (CBA UFA), Brandon Marshall (RFA), Braylon Edwards (CBA UFA), Malcom Floyd (CBA UFA), Steve Breaston (RFA), Lance Moore (CBA UFA)

TE - Ben Watson, Owen Daniels (CBA UFA), Tony Scheffler (CBA UFA), Bo Scaife (CBA UFA), Anthony Fasano (CBA UFA)

That's all I know off the top... there's a few defensive players up there too.

I don't think so... He was so close this season.

(Falcons) 11-5 to 9-7 with how hard our schedule got was actually a step in the right direction... In any other season we would have gotten into the playoffs.

Expectations will be high, typically for the Falcons it's usually year 1, good, year 2, bad, year 3, worse... We didn't have a bad year 2, so the expectations for year 3 will be sky high.

The core of the team is still intact, Matt Ryan needs to get over the sophmore slump and pull pro-bowl numbers, because as was proof this season, our running game is no longer our claim to fame like in the past.

The Defensive unit was better than the year before, and it got even younger... There are some signs of life and improvement, especially late in the season (Despite there being nothing to play for) where our DB's had their best weeks.

I expect obviously the Panthers to improve but I think we'll improve to keep them away... The difference is New Orleans... will they have a hangover or will they be as strong or stronger next season?

Time will tell, but with over 25 million available in cap space before re-signing period, we can make some adjustments with immediate impact, and with long-term intent.

I think we finish along the 11-5 line we did 2 years ago, with a better playoff run.

Alex

The Falcons will be worse next year AS, sorry...

Alex

I just don't see them getting any better, I actually see them regressing a bit 8-8 is what I see

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I just don't see them getting any better, I actually see them regressing a bit 8-8 is what I see
But again, based on what? I can agree with you as it seems like a flip of the coin to us being 11-5 or us being .500, but we started and finished last season strong, whose to say we don't bring consistancy into next season?

The Offence only gets a click better (If we find improvement in the running game, based on Turners vulnerability), the D is young and improving (And looked good to end last season) and with any logic, we focus on Special Teams as opposed to filling in places for temporary fix (The Elam deal cost 1.1 Million and failed miserably)

Mike Smith is a fantastic coach, Dimitroff has this roster looking decent with managable players and a managable salary cap.

And our sched looks alot easier upon early glance, too soon to make that rating but regardless.

muller

LT and Westbrook cut. Rumours apparently LT is a possible target for the Pats. Dont see it myself.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Strange to see 2 franchise legends move on... Thus is the age of money and the modern game

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Westbrook is a sicknote.

He's a sicknote you have to game-plan for, but if he's never on the field then who the feck cares.

Sad to see him move on but he can take up someone else's cap room and not play now.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
This Eric Berry kid from Tennessee looks and talks the part. Has played under Monte Kiffin and had some time at both safety spots, corner, and nickel back roles for the Vols. Was a total of 7 yards away from the NCAA record for interception return yards and is projected to go in the top half of the first round. Berry said. “You can see I’m on pace to be Ed Reed or better.” I have a feeling he is going to be a stud which means he is going to be a monumental bust.

Alex

Eric Berry was projected as the best player in the Draft for much of the year, until Ndamakusyu or whatever the feck showed his class, and in the end what matters most is their position a dominant lineman is more important than any other position in football other than QB. I think that Berry will be the best safety in the league in a few years.

Alex

Safeties are kinda a luxury position though, they make a great d look either great or awful. Corners are more important as are LBs. The Lions need a lot of help again but they are on the way up, that said they could sign me and they would be.

Wittmann45

We'd be better off with Sue or McCoy (in fact, a lot of the major mock drafts have the Lions picking either one of the DTs), but I've always had an affection for a great safety.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
We'd be better off with Sue or McCoy (in fact, a lot of the major mock drafts have the Lions picking either one of the DTs), but I've always had an affection for a great safety.
Safeties can definitely turn a game, but a good nose tackle forces the opposing offense to get a little more creative with playcalling. I would imagine it keeps morale up for a team that's poor but on the way up.

There's not much more demoralizing for an NFL defense than to have the ball shoved down the middle over and over again and not being able to stop it. On the flipside there's not much more demoralizing for an NFL offense than to run the ball up the middle and get stuffed and feel like you just completely wasted a down (source: Jimmy Raye's playcalling for the 49ers this year).

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I would like to see the Pats pursue a running back and get away from the committee approach but want no part of LT due to the lack of burst and also the negativity between both parties in the past. They need a big, young back in the mould of Corey Dillon or Antowain Smith, who is able to run into the middle of a defensive line and pick up 3-6 yards without getting injured. The ‘draft experts’ say Ryan Matthews from Fresno State fits the bill but I know feck all about him.

The Jets have acquired Antonio Cromartie which could be dangerous if he turns it around and shows a willingness to get his jersey dirty. With him and Revis playing aggressive, press coverage Fat Rex will be able to dial it up even more than he did last season. This makes the need for either the back I described or viable third and fourth options at reciever even greater in my opinion. It’s possible Wes Welker will never be the same player again too.

gormless

It’s possible Wes Welker will never be the same player again too.
Can you explain this to me? I'm a casual fan living in the UK who has only really started getting into the sport over the past few months so really struggle to keep up with everything thats going on. Though as far as I was aware he was picked for the Pro Bowl so he can't have been that bad

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Can you explain this to me? I'm a casual fan living in the UK who has only really started getting into the sport over the past few months so really struggle to keep up with everything thats going on. Though as far as I was aware he was picked for the Pro Bowl so he can't have been that bad
He had a really bad knee injury. Tore both his ACL and MCL. He's a player that uses his quickness to find space and a really bad knee injury tends to make that a lot more difficult.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Giants way overpaid for Rolle, a decent but not great safety.

Ravens stole Boldin from Arizona and Boldin stole the money from Baltimore.

Any thoughts were TO ends up?

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.

1. No. He'll come back for one more year. And then one more year after that and again and again.... until he wins a Superbowl.

2. Depends. The Pats' most pressing need is a pass rusher- Peppers would have been nice but never mind. A wide receiver would be needed too. Brandon Tate is supposed to have serious talent but he's injury prone and it's hard to put a time scale on when Welker will be back and 100% fit. That leaves us with Moss, Sam Aiken (a good special teams player but is in no way a genuine threat as a no.2 or 3 receiver), and Edelman (who was a nice surprise last year but we need something more to take the pressure off Moss).

Bodden might leave so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a defensive back in the draft.
While not a priority, it would be nice see a new running back also. We have 3 2nd-round draft picks this year and an additional 1st round pick in 2011 so Belichick has the picks to move up the draft for someone like C.J. Spiller if he wants.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
WE
GOT
DAVID CARR
WE GOT DAVID CARR

Now we have a former #1 overall draft pick bust who's performed terribly behind horrible offensive lines to back up our own former #1 overall draft pick bust who's performed terribly behind our horrible offensive line.

Alex

I dont think he has much left in the tank, if any

Alex

Broncos have Brady Quinn.....errr ummmmm

Hopefully they can work a big deal with Seattle for Marshall