Nfl 2010-2011

Alex

YEah rumor is there 1st rounder, I think that would be great in this day and age without FA, and what is it the 6th pick they couldn t get anyone better in all honesty, I d rather have Marshall but McDickhead has ruined it

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
YEah rumor is there 1st rounder, I think that would be great in this day and age without FA, and what is it the 6th pick they couldn t get anyone better in all honesty, I d rather have Marshall but McDickhead has ruined it
I'd rather not have to play the Seahawks twice a year and have to deal with Houshmanzadeh and Marshall and a healthy Matt Hasselbeck.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
New playoff overtime rules ratified.

Sudden death applies in the first possession of overtime if and only if the team scores a touchdown. If the team scores a field goal, then the other team gets a chance to tie with a field goal or win with a touchdown. If the team with the first possession fails to score, then the other team can win with a field goal.

Sounds like a good compromise between the current setup and the "no field goals in overtime" rule I keep touting. This way you don't have really long games and both sides get a chance to score unless one team can establish enough dominance over the other to score six points. I only wish they decided to do this for the entire season and not just the postseason. And just eliminate overtime in the preseason altogether. Nobody cares if there's a tie in preseason.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Still not the college system but I like it... Basically "first to 6"
I'm not a huge fan of the college system. To me one of the best parts of football is watching a team march down the field to claim a victory by force. It's the stuff of legends, and I think the college system takes that away because it virtually guarantees some sort of score without having to move the ball at all.

Also this system is a bit confusing (not really) but does take a while to explain because it's not exactly first to six because a safety will win the game and a field goal will win it if the first team fails to score at all (I think). If you thought McNabb didn't get it before... (I kid of course)

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I’m with Sean Payton in terms of it being one rule for the regular season and one for the Playoffs. Say the Patriots play the Jets in the last game of the regular season, and win with an overtime field goal after winning the coin toss. The Jets finish 10-6 and the Patriots finish 11-5 with one going into the Playoffs and the other going home early (the Jets would deserve it if you ask me). The Patriots then give up an overtime field goal to the Colts in the Playoffs, but still have a chance to win the game. It’s not exactly fair considering the importance of both games and team rivalries etc. You have 15 other games to make up for one loss of course, but still.

Maybe the justification for the change comes from the fact there was already differences between the two in that regular season games can end in a tie. However, if I had my way that would be changed too. Television revenue and schedules could have also come into consideration for the money men. Overtime in the regular season puts games over their time slot when networks are probably waiting to switch to either the next game or Desperate Housewives. In the post season there are fewer games and in some cases more time allocated to the end of the game for analysis and post game shows etc, so it would be less of a problem.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
The impact on the actual game should be interesting to watch though. Do coaches go for it on fourth and two in the other team’s half or take the three points and give Brady, Manning, Brees and Worthlessburger the opportunity to drive the length of the field against a tired defense? I read somewhere that if a team recovers an onside kick on the first kick of overtime the receiving team has already had its opportunity and a field goal will win it. Same thing if the receiving team fumbles on the return too, I could be wrong though.

Are you sure about the safety thing, jveezy?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
The impact on the actual game should be interesting to watch though. Do coaches go for it on fourth and two in the other team’s half or take the three points and give Brady, Manning, Brees and Worthlessburger the opportunity to drive the length of the field against a tired defense? I read somewhere that if a team recovers an onside kick on the first kick of overtime the receiving team has already had its opportunity and a field goal will win it. Same thing if the receiving team fumbles on the return too, I could be wrong though.

Are you sure about the safety thing, jveezy?
Not really. I haven't really seen the full rules spelled out, but I think the spirit of it was to minimize the effect of the coin toss. The argument for keeping the old system was that defense is a part of the game as well as offense, but usually during the course of a game, holding the opposing team to a field goal is often considered a success, whereas in overtime it was considered an absolute failure.

If you give up a safety though, it doesn't matter what part of the game you're playing in. It's a colossal failure. If you do it in overtime, feck off, you deserve to lose. Likewise if the other team is so powerful that they force you into a safety, they should win, because that sort of thing is really difficult to do.

Hence if you're going to score to win, it better be an emphatic score (touchdown or safety). If you're going the wimpy route, you have to do it twice.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Mock OT rule on Mike & Mike the other day...

Ball placed at midfield... all 53 players from each side are active... first team to get possession of the ball wins!

I'd take it a step further... first team to carry (no passing) the ball past the opposing goal line wins!

A pro version of tackle the man with the ball!

Alex

Come on that's bullshit, coaches and waterboys, and well of course cheerleaders should also be included in the scrum.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Mock OT rule on Mike & Mike the other day...

Ball placed at midfield... all 53 players from each side are active... first team to get possession of the ball wins!

I'd take it a step further... first team to carry (no passing) the ball past the opposing goal line wins!

A pro version of tackle the man with the ball!
You mean like rugby?

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
McNabb to the Raiders, poor Jamarcus Russell is putting in alot of work to be a decent QB this off-season, working with alot of former QB's and coaches, and this is how the Raiders repay him.

Alex

The Raiders owe him shit with all the money they paid him, he owes it to them to be as good as possible regardless of what happens.

Chapster

mcnabb to the redskins

going to be interesting being an eagles fan this year!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
mcnabb to the redskins

going to be interesting being an eagles fan this year!
Define "interesting"

Nah, fact is he was going to go at some point, Kolb and Vick have enough about them to fill the void in my opinion, seems strange that it's happened off the back of a good season for Donovan another disappointment in the playoffs though probably sealed his fate.

On the bright side, this means we now have 11 picks in what is a pretty deep draft this year. The defense is something we need to look at very closely, I feel our line is ok but we need some help at both Safety spots and a couple new Athletic LB's.

I don't see playoffs but, I do see a very smooth 2 year transition.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Trading your franchise QB to a division rival is insane. Better hope either Kolb or Vick reproduce McNabb's steady play. I guarantee neither will have a better interception percentage. When I initially heard of the trade I figured they must have been offered the #4 pick and probably additional picks and/or player or two. Nope. They got a 2nd rd pick (#37) and a conditional 3rd or 4th rd pick in 2011. So much for holding out for best offer, unless that was the best offer. I would have wanted a bigger boat to send him within the division. But I guess it was better than cutting him in June. And it also signals to all that the Eagles wanted rid of him period. So much they traded him to a division rival. Ludicrous.

My feeling is maybe it was time for both parties to move on. McNabb had done all he could for the club and was never respected by the fans and (apparently) the club. I can see this as a financial move as well. McNabb is due a hefty salary and bonus this season and was going to look for a big extension. The Redskins are more than happy to oblige when veterans seeking one final pay day come calling. I expect him to sign a 5-7 yr contract worth a ridiculous sum, rumors are $13-16m per season average.

Chapster

Definitely need to look at hte defence. I figured they would have traded him for a first rounder as well to get a shot at getting one of the top defensive backs.

it's been quite a clean out in the off season.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Definitely need to look at hte defence. I figured they would have traded him for a first rounder as well to get a shot at getting one of the top defensive backs.

it's been quite a clean out in the off season.
I think they're still going to make a trade. They'll probably package their own first rounder with the #37 and maybe more for a top 10 pick. I figure they'll do something. Don't they have something like 11 draft picks this year now?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think they're still going to make a trade. They'll probably package their own first rounder with the #37 and maybe more for a top 10 pick. I figure they'll do something. Don't they have something like 11 draft picks this year now?
Yeah 11 picks.

I do think we will trade up to get one of the top DB's in the draft, I can't see us sitting with all 11 picks tbh.

Getting rid of McNabb...It's strange move that makes sense...kinda...

I'm too confused, all I know is that we have a straight 2 way duel for the QB position now, Kolb is the favorite, let's see what pre season holds.

Chapster

I think Kolb will hold on
but I'd like Vick to make it (but that''s only because of my madden muppetry)

Alex

Getting rid of McNabb was a fecking idiotic idea at this point, trading him to the Redskins was madness.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Getting rid of McNabb was a fecking idiotic idea at this point, trading him to the Redskins was madness.
He had to go at some point.

As has already been mentioned, we weren't going to pay out on his next big deal so take the plunge now and get a year's worth of re-building done sooner.

I don't think any Eagles fan is going to sit here and tell you that we are in for a winning season next year, if we can get around the 6 or 7 mark with a new young team, we would have done well.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
The aggressiveness of the Jets is starting to annoy me now – luckily divisions are not won in the off-season. I’m sceptical about Tomlinson and Cromartie but acquiring a young Superbowl MVP wide receiver for a fifth round pick is a steal whatever way you try to spin it. Even if his off field trouble leads to a ban and he does not fit in, it’s essentially a risk free loan for the remainder of the season.

Meanwhile, my QB is caught doing Yoga on a Paris rooftop like a big girlyman. Sweet.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
When's the draft?
And is this year an uncapped year? Or did they sort it out
Draft is Thursday, April 22nd at 7pm Eastern Time (Midnight Friday in Britain) for the first round only (thankfully only ten minutes per pick now). Friday is the second and third round (7 minutes per pick) and the rest of the rounds on Saturday.

This year is still uncapped, but teams are being careful about it so they don't end up in trouble once the cap is reinstated.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Im shocked by the lack of one-year deals to be honest, but like jveezy said it's based on the fact owners and GM's arent gonna go gun-ho

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Dolphins get Brandon Marshall. Patriots eerily quiet.
I'm thrilled. Keep that guy away from the NFC West.

Well I did hear from the Patriots...in the form of a quick blurb from an interview with Bill Belichick who had a great point about the draft format this year.

"I think the second round will now be like the first round," Belichick said. "Take those [top] 32 players out of there…now you’re starting all over again for that second round. And I can see it being approached more as that first round. In the past, you rolled into that round. Now, [teams can] actually stop and have the whole night to sit there and think about it and talk to other teams and develop a new strategy. Everybody does that on the second day; now we have three days. It’s a different dynamic."