NFL 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

And Cooks to the Pats.

I think they trade Jimmy G shortly to get these picks back.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Cooks is an excellent pick up. Brady should have fun with the WR next season.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
One thing I've never got with the players is that they tend to pick money over a legacy.

I've followed the Patriots since the Rams superbowl and I've seen it quite a lot. I was absolutely gutted when Asante Samuel left for the Eagles and most recently Jamie Collins, who was definitely a fans favourite.

But look what they swap, Especially Collins. He swapped winning the superbowl (obviously he didn't know at the time, but was a favourite to do so) to go to the worst team in the NFL. He gets money, but becomes a forgotten man.

Bennett is another prime example. Although he's moved to a good team, when winning the superbowl, his first interview had him saying he's going to get paid.
Wheres any sort of loyalty. Patriots don't care because they move on, adapt and bring in more players who fit the job perfectly, but I just don't get why players swap it all for money.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
One thing I've never got with the players is that they tend to pick money over a legacy.

I've followed the Patriots since the Rams superbowl and I've seen it quite a lot. I was absolutely gutted when Asante Samuel left for the Eagles and most recently Jamie Collins, who was definitely a fans favourite.

But look what they swap, Especially Collins. He swapped winning the superbowl (obviously he didn't know at the time, but was a favourite to do so) to go to the worst team in the NFL. He gets money, but becomes a forgotten man.

Bennett is another prime example. Although he's moved to a good team, when winning the superbowl, his first interview had him saying he's going to get paid.
Wheres any sort of loyalty. Patriots don't care because they move on, adapt and bring in more players who fit the job perfectly, but I just don't get why players swap it all for money.
They play a brutal game where the average career lasts 3 years, any play could be your last and many players live the rest of their lives with debilitating injuries. Most of them have no other skills, didn't get a degree and have to set themselves up for life.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
They play a brutal game where the average career lasts 3 years, any play could be your last and many players live the rest of their lives with debilitating injuries. Most of them have no other skills, didn't get a degree and have to set themselves up for life.
I get that side of it, but the average career of 3 years surely tends to be players who aren't good enough rather than career ending injuries?
Take Bennett as an example. He's just finished his 9th season. He's made his money. He'll live a comfortable life after his career is over, but his first thought was getting paid. Now don't get me wrong, he's moved to another superbowl contender, but he could quite easily have ended up with one of the poorer sides if they offered up more money.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I get that side of it, but the average career of 3 years surely tends to be players who aren't good enough rather than career ending injuries?
Take Bennett as an example. He's just finished his 9th season. He's made his money. He'll live a comfortable life after his career is over, but his first thought was getting paid. Now don't get me wrong, he's moved to another superbowl contender, but he could quite easily have ended up with one of the poorer sides if they offered up more money.
Why does loyalty only have to go one way? Look at how the Bears treated Matt Forte.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Why does loyalty only have to go one way? Look at how the Bears treated Matt Forte.
I'm not sure what happened in that situation so I cannot comment.
I think I chose the wrong word when I said loyalty.

I just don't see why players would want to move from a team that churn out playoff form every season for money at teams that have question marks over them

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm not sure what happened in that situation so I cannot comment.
I think I chose the wrong word when I said loyalty.

I just don't see why players would want to move from a team that churn out playoff form every season for money at teams that have question marks over them
Being paid 1 million more $ when you're making 5 million per is still one million more.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I do understand Igor's point. Not sure why he's getting such a hard time lol.

I too am surprised how many players choose money over chance of success. There's always some but the percentage is much higher than I'd have expected.

Loyalty definitely is the wrong word though. Players show no loyalty because teams are far more cut throat in the NFL than in other sports and in comparison to the PL for example.

I guess the answer is somewhere in the background of some of these players. I don't think they love the sport in the same way as in other sports. It really is about money for them, especially when it was something they never had or their family has never had in the past in a lot of these cases.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I just don't get why players swap it all for money.
I knew a guy who was a sports psychologist. In his opinion most players think of remuneration as a sign of respect or status in pecking order of the team. If they are worth more in free market and/or if their peers earn higher than them, it simply is not acceptable. It's not different from any other person choosing a higher paying job compromising on their personal comfort a bit. Very few are in it for the love for the game. Most are after fame and fortune. The way NFL ranks it's players is another contributing factor imo. You can get to be a #1 in your position even if your team wins shite all, a la Dan Marino or Jim Kelly.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Is this confirmed?
Yeah.

The New Orleans Saints are trading wide receiver Brandin Cooks to New England in exchange for a package that includes the Patriots' first-round pick (No. 32), NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday, per sources. The Patriots will also send New Orleans a 2017 third-round selection (pick No. 103, the compensatory selection acquired from Cleveland in the Jamie Collins deal) in exchange for the Saints' fourth-round pick (No. 118), Rapoport added. ESPN first reported the story.

Sylar

I think Bennett is an upgrade on Cook (who I liked and had great chemistry with ARod).
Theres still time, but we need to be sorting that defence out.

Neutral

BTV
The Pats vs the AFC West (vs the Steelers). Should be fun.
People keep saying this about the Steelers - except, we all know...they'll mess up somehow. Be it, ill discipline or through injury. It is shocking how little Big Ben and Tom Brady have played each other in the playoffs considering how good both franchises & quarterbacks have been.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
must be tough to be a packers fan
Yeah, I have no idea on what the strategy is. After the ragtag defence we fielded last year thought we'll be reinforcing there primarily. Now all I hear is defensive players leaving by the dozen...

Sam Shields
Micah Hyde
JC Tretter
TJ Lang
Julius Peppers

And in Offence, we've let Cook walk and signed 2 other TEs

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Yeah, I have no idea on what the strategy is. After the ragtag defence we fielded last year thought we'll be reinforcing there primarily. Now all I hear is defensive players leaving by the dozen...

Sam Shields
Micah Hyde
JC Tretter
TJ Lang
Julius Peppers

And in Offence, we've let Cook walk and signed 2 other TEs
Shields is basically done and Peppers is old. Very, very old. Shields is a big loss, obviously, but there's not much we could do about it. Peppers is to expensive. Hyde is the one I don't really understand. He was extremely valuable to us. Could play both safety spots, corner and was a solid return man. He'll be missed.
What I don't really understand right now, is the reluctancy to keep our own free agents. I'm not suprised that we're not bringing in many guys (actually I'm surprised we got two players already), but letting Lang, Tretter, Hyde, Cook and most likely even Lacy leave is veary unlike Ted Thompson.
But the draft appears to be deep, so I'll wait. In Ted I trust.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
but letting Lang, Tretter, Hyde, Cook and most likely even Lacy leave is veary unlike Ted Thompson.
Tretter should be ok as long as we have Linsley healthy. I'm very much divided on Lacy. Has tons of potential, but seems to lack commitment to keeping his weight in line. I'd give him as prove it 1 year contract at best.

I don't understand Hyde release at all. Bewildering. I'd be seriously pissed if we went on with Randall/Rollins duo as primary.

Cook <> Bennett seems to be pay related. It would not make sense to do the deal unless Bennett was significantly cheaper. Must be so, seeing we also got Kendricks. Still a good deal imo.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Tretter should be ok as long as we have Linsley healthy. I'm very much divided on Lacy. Has tons of potential, but seems to lack commitment to keeping his weight in line. I'd give him as prove it 1 year contract at best.

I don't understand Hyde release at all. Bewildering. I'd be seriously pissed if we went on with Randall/Rollins duo as primary.

Cook <> Bennett seems to be pay related. It would not make sense to do the deal unless Bennett was significantly cheaper. Must be so, seeing we also got Kendricks. Still a good deal imo.
I'd say it's less about the money and more about the value. I assume that Bennet, even if more expensive than Cook, offers better value, as he's the better player. That makes sense to me. Hyde was not released. His contract was simply not extended.
I like Rollins and especially Randall. They have talent. They just struggled with injuries. Randall's rookie season was really good. Our corners tend to take a few years to develop anyway. Was the same with Williams and Shields. But I still hope we'll draft someone there.

Lacy is extremely difficult. Free agency is full with big name guys and the draft seems to be loaded at the position. Maybe we'll be able to keep him on a prove it deal, like Perry. Otherwise there will be good players available to us in the draft. And I like Ty a lot.

Sylar

Gonna wait until after everything is done to say anything much given we all know the defence has needed work since the blow up against Seattle in the playoffs.
but if we dont get the right balance, it will feel like another wasted year for Rodgers.

Imo, to have Rodgers right after Favre and so far only have 2 rings to show for it is a real let down. (the OT losses in recent years have hurt the most, and Falcons loss seemed inevitable in a way).

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Gonna wait until after everything is done to say anything much given we all know the defence has needed work since the blow up against Seattle in the playoffs.
but if we dont get the right balance, it will feel like another wasted year for Rodgers.

Imo, to have Rodgers right after Favre and so far only have 2 rings to show for it is a real let down. (the OT losses in recent years have hurt the most, and Falcons loss seemed inevitable in a way).
The OT losses really hurt. Especially since Rodgers never saw the ball. I'm still sure we would have won the year we lost to Seattle.
But you're right. If Rodgers doesn't win at least another ring, we didn't make enough of his career. We might never have a player like him again.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
we were over-performing both times. Just like last season. The offence and Rodgers were carrying us through the deficiencies that would have put most teams even out of playoffs.
I don't agree. The side that played Seattle was a really good one. The offense was great as always with Rodgers and the defense was ok. They just screwed up a game that should never been lost. Bostick screwing up the onside recovery is a mental mistake by a single player, not a sign of a team overperforming. I actually think we were the strongest team in the league heading into the playoffs. We were just too stupid to go all the way. That D intercepted Wilson four times and didn't give up a points till deep into the game. They were up for it.

Sylar

we were over-performing both times. Just like last season. The offence and Rodgers were carrying us through the deficiencies that would have put most teams even out of playoffs.
The Seattle loss hurts the most imo, cos we just blew that, and majority of it was special teams / defence (and maybe MM going ultra conservative). But as @HTG said I think that team was good.

But after that loss, imo I think we needed to improve the defence and TT didnt do it. And our defence has been worse ever year imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.