NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why are you including Miller in this? He's a nice to have, let's not act like he was pivotal to their success this year on in years past (in which they regularly made the playoffs and went to the Super Bowl in 2018). Wouldn't matter much if he decided to leave LA right now.

You're prematurely jumping to conclusions about how McVay would handle a "rebuild" (still multiple seasons away from that point).
They won yesterday because of their defense, where both Donald and Miller had two sacks each in a game that was decided by 3 points. So, I'd say he's pretty important to their success if they want to continue playing as they finished the season. McVay isn't a bad coach, but he clearly doesn't look at things from a long term perspective, which means he will be stuck in a cycle of having to cobble together trades for veterans with inflated salaries every couple of years to keep the Rams competitive. The Bengals on the other hand are building a monster that will probably have long term viability, mainly because they have drafted well and just made the SB with a ridiculous amount of cap space to play with next year.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They won yesterday because of their defense, where both Donald and Miller had two sacks each in a game that was decided by 3 points. So, I'd say he's pretty important to their success if they want to continue playing as they finished the season. McVay isn't a bad coach, but he clearly doesn't look at things from a long term perspective, which means he will be stuck in a cycle of having to cobble together trades for veterans with inflated salaries every couple of years to keep the Rams competitive. The Bengals on the other hand are building a monster that will probably have long term viability, mainly because they have drafted well and just made the SB with a ridiculous amount of cap space to play with next year.
Miller is obviously good, but he is not needed for continuous success in LA. He was always gonna cause havoc against such a bad O-line yesterday.

Not necessarily aimed at you, but I don't get the disdain for the Rams of some people because they build through adding established players rather than through the draft. There are multiple ways to success in the NFL and one is not better than the other. The Rams have apparently been in "win-now mode" since they "mortgaged their future" in 2016 by giving up all those picks for Jared Goff. Yet here they are 5.5 years later, with another QB, still at the top of the NFL. They have a strategy in place and it has been working for them so far. A first-round pick isn't worth nearly as much as some people think if it is between 25-32 or somewhere down there. With the LA pulling power, offensive players wanting to work with someone like McVay, they can have success like this in the foreseeable future, and that's what matters.

There is nothing noble about trying to build through the draft. The Jags have been trying to do so since forever and are still nowhere. The Bengals also only "drafted well" because they managed to suck enough in the right season to draft Burrow (which was a no-brainer) and then got "lucky" Burrow got injured and they once again had a top-5 pick to link him up with Chase again. They'll have one, maybe two years of Burrow's rookie contract left and then he'll be paid a very handsome amount of money. Cincinnati is a tough place to sell to free agents, maybe less so if you grant them an opportunity to play with Burrow and compete for rings but even then. The Bengals will rue this chance imo, they'll have to get past the likes of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Lamar, Jones, ... each year if they wanna be back in the Super Bowl, there's no guarantees they'll be back soon.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm not sure the Bengals will get a better chance that this.

Everything was falling into their hands and they just couldn't get that one more scored when they on top to seal it.

Even then in the 4 the Quarter they had their chances as Rams were clearly struggling.

Perhaps the injury to Burrows cost them and that absolutely stupid decision to go for it it on 4 the down when they lost the ball and Rams scored a touchdown.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Miller is obviously good, but he is not needed for continuous success in LA. He was always gonna cause havoc against such a bad O-line yesterday.

Not necessarily aimed at you, but I don't get the disdain for the Rams of some people because they build through adding established players rather than through the draft. There are multiple ways to success in the NFL and one is not better than the other. The Rams have apparently been in "win-now mode" since they "mortgaged their future" in 2016 by giving up all those picks for Jared Goff. Yet here they are 5.5 years later, with another QB, still at the top of the NFL. They have a strategy in place and it has been working for them so far. A first-round pick isn't worth nearly as much as some people think if it is between 25-32 or somewhere down there. With the LA pulling power, offensive players wanting to work with someone like McVay, they can have success like this in the foreseeable future, and that's what matters.

There is nothing noble about trying to build through the draft. The Jags have been trying to do so since forever and are still nowhere. The Bengals also only "drafted well" because they managed to suck enough in the right season to draft Burrow (which was a no-brainer) and then got "lucky" Burrow got injured and they once again had a top-5 pick to link him up with Chase again. They'll have one, maybe two years of Burrow's rookie contract left and then he'll be paid a very handsome amount of money. Cincinnati is a tough place to sell to free agents, maybe less so if you grant them an opportunity to play with Burrow and compete for rings but even then. The Bengals will rue this chance imo, they'll have to get past the likes of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Lamar, Jones, ... each year if they wanna be back in the Super Bowl, there's no guarantees they'll be back soon.
There's no disdain for the Rams as I've followed the franchise for nearly 40 years since the Dickerson era and have seen the good and bad teams over the years. There's just no long term sustainability to the way McVay is running the show here in that he is investing based on short term time horizons instead of creating a long term situation that he can leverage in years to come. Some might say that its ok because he just won the big game, but as mentioned before, once one of the key pieces leaves, he will be forced into repeatedly continue going back into the transfer market and eventually turn the Rams into the NFL's dumping ground for late stage veterans with inflated salaries, desperate for what they think may be a final shot at winning a Super Bowl. That's just not good business in that it is neither scalable, nor sustainable. The counter point to all of this is that one could say, NFL success is generally temporary and teams should try to be successful in any way they can, but I would want a longer term strategy that is sustainable for continued success, which McVay's approach is just not compatible with.

Last edited:

Gavinb33

There's no disdain for the Rams as I've followed the franchise for nearly 40 years since the Dickerson era and have seen the good and bad teams over the years. There's just no long term sustainability to the way McVay is running the show here in that he is investing based on short term time horizons instead of creating a long term situation that he can leverage in years to come. Some might say that its ok because he just won the big game, but as mentioned before, once one of the key pieces leaves, he will be forced into repeatedly continue going back into the transfer market and eventually turn the Rams into the NFL's dumping ground for late stage veterans with inflated salaries, desperate for what they think may be a final shot at winning a Super Bowl. That's just not good business in that it is neither scalable, nor sustainable. The counter point to all of this is that one could say, NFL success is generally temporary and teams should try to be successful in any way they can, but I would want a longer term strategy that is sustainable for continued success, which McVay's approach is just not compatible with.
Les Snead is in charge of personnel at the Rams why you are jabbing Mcvay with this is a bit weird, he obviously has a say but not all of it.

Also drafting at 32-25 or drafting in the second round is about the same.

Give me Ramsey and Stafford for multiple 1st rounders than the wasted picks and money on Sam Bradford, Jared Goff, Jason Smith, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, Greg Robinson the list goes on and on

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Les Snead is in charge of personnel at the Rams why you are jabbing Mcvay with this is a bit weird, he obviously has a say but not all of it.

Also drafting at 32-25 or drafting in the second round is about the same.

Give me Ramsey and Stafford for multiple 1st rounders than the wasted picks and money on Sam Bradford, Jared Goff, Jason Smith, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, Greg Robinson the list goes on and on
Exactly. One of the best corners in the game for 2 first-rounders is a no-brainer for me if you're planning on competing. I think the Jags drafted Chaisson and Etienne with those picks.

Gandalf

The Rams have had selected the 2nd highest number of players in the draft out of all 32 teams during the McVay era, they just utilize a lot of late round picks but the bulk of their roster is young and has been assembled through the draft. They trade away top picks but we can all agree that the likelihood of finding a player of Stafford's ability in the first round is unlikely so why not use the pick to go get the proven commodity? It may not be conventional but it clearly has worked and will probably now be imitated by a lot of other teams.

Meller

Congrats mate. The Rams were definitely the most preferable team out of all the NFC contenders, and in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty nice to see a different team win it all.
Yeah thanks. It had to happen this year considering how the team is structured. With Higbee and OBJ getting injured I was really worried but Kupp was great down the stretch.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Only the 7 months to go until it kicks off again :(

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So as far as rumors go, we have:
  • Wentz’s job not being safe in Indy (slightly shocked as what options do they have?)
  • McVay potentially semi-retiring (and TBOW was in the owner’s box with Kroenke for the SB, in case you want another wild coaching choice involving a TT guy (good luck parsing that out :p ))
  • Aaron Donald potentially retiring
What am I leaving out aside from AAron & Russ?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You're assuming that the number 1 goal of the Rams as an organization is winning Super Bowls. It's not.

They're owned by Kroenke. They got their SB win in their new stadium and now they can justify decades of $75+ parking and $15+ beers. In other words, the cash cow is now rolling and they don't really need to become a new NE with Brady to keep this profit engine running. For what Kroenke is trying to do, this is plenty good business. Kroenke was never going to focus on on-the-field success above maintaining his profit engine.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
While Stafford is better than Goff, I always felt like he's a mid tier qb at best, and his record vs teams with winning records shows that. He's not the qb you want in the post season when its just the best of the best left.

Odell is just a locker room cancer, he can't and won't replace Woods. His 4 career post season catches isn't going to push them over the other NFC powerhouses.
This aged well.

mav_9me

I haven't read the whole thread after the Superbowl.

So here's my question. What are the chances of Kupp, ObJ and Woods returning? That would be a great offense no?

JoaquinJoaquin

I haven't read the whole thread after the Superbowl.

So here's my question. What are the chances of Kupp, ObJ and Woods returning? That would be a great offense no?
OBJ has done another ACL on the leg he already previously injured. Now he has his ring and is about to become a father, he may decide he is done. Also if you are a team you have to take into consideration he could be a gamble now.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Michelle Tafoya is quitting the sideline reporter gig to go into Republican politics; did not see that one coming.

Cougar reporter crush in shambles.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well at least he has a NFL job while the legal stuff is ongoing. Good to see. Big step-down though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well at least he has a NFL job while the legal stuff is ongoing. Good to see. Big step-down though.

FFS. The Vikings haven't named their linebacker coach yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.