NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I do find the Rams a really unpalatable team. Haven't got anything against the players but it's like seeing the US equivalent of the MK Dons winning the PL. I know it's more accepted in the NFL but you've got to feel for a community who have had their team ripped from them by heartless cnut owners in the name of $$.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I do find the Rams a really unpalatable team. Haven't got anything against the players but it's like seeing the US equivalent of the MK Dons winning the PL. I know it's more accepted in the NFL but you've got to feel for a community who have had their team ripped from them by heartless cnut owners in the name of $$.
This post may have been quite ignorant now that I've had a gander at the Franchise history. I still don't like them mind but maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was a few minutes ago.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Them leaving St Louis? Because they stole them first.

Mike Smalling

Man, rough for the Bengals. Unfortunately, fairly predictable, that their o-line would get manhandled by Miller and Donald. Didn't catch the game, but still seems like Burrow played quite well? 67% completion and no picks is pretty good, when you are sacked on 17% of dropbacks.

Dante

Average bang
I'm not into American football. So I've only watched the halftime show this morning.

Got to say, that's just about as good as I've ever seen. Every single song was an absolute banger. Don't think the crowd necessarily agreed. But I love that era of hip hop.

The craft services at Aftermath Records are obviously very moreish.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Man, rough for the Bengals. Unfortunately, fairly predictable, that their o-line would get manhandled by Miller and Donald. Didn't catch the game, but still seems like Burrow played quite well? 67% completion and no picks is pretty good, when you are sacked on 17% of dropbacks.
I just watched the highlights, but Bengals did not have a chance and they alsmost took it. But, they did not score one proper TD (one was a trick play and the other one was a blatant foul by the offence). They had enough opportunities to get another TD, but they couldn't.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think that stat line is really misleading. The first half they dealt with it pretty comfortably. The second the Rams made an adjustment and they couldn’t counter. I also think the play calling for the Bengals was a bit crappy in the second half.

Mike Smalling

I just watched the highlights, but Bengals did not have a chance and they alsmost took it. But, they did not score one proper TD (one was a trick play and the other one was a blatant foul by the offence). They had enough opportunities to get another TD, but they couldn't.
Same, just caught the highlights. I disagree that a trick play is not a proper TD, but it is hard to believe that the other one stood - clear facemask.

I'm sure the Bengals will come back. Number 1 priority in the off-season is to fix that offensive line.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I was definitely rooting for the Bengals but the loss is easy to digest since they had the opportunity to win or at least tie the game but they failed, it's not like they didn't have a chance or anything like that. Very poor playcalling by them in the second half and it seems like they couldn't match the Rams' defensive changes. I'm no believer that Zac Taylor is a great HC yet, think Burrow could be better developed under a greater offensive mind.

Still can't believe that 3th & 1 playcall with Samaje fecking Perine.

RoadTrip

I was definitely rooting for the Bengals but the loss is easy to digest since they had the opportunity to win or at least tie the game but they failed, it's not like they didn't have a chance or anything like that. Very poor playcalling by them in the second half and it seems like they couldn't match the Rams' defensive changes. I'm no believer that Zac Taylor is a great HC yet, think Burrow could be better developed under a greater offensive mind.

Still can't believe that 3th & 1 playcall with Samaje fecking Perine.
I must say I’m still pretty dubious of McVay as a head coach too. Or, at least that he isn’t at the levels the hype suggests he is.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I must say I’m still pretty dubious of McVay as a head coach too. Or, at least that he isn’t at the levels the hype suggests he is.
I actually think he is one of the brightest offensive minds in the league but might work better as an OC than actual HC. His time management is questionable at times, he tends to get stubborn in his decisions and fall into a pattern even though it's clearly not working, so perhaps adjusts too late sometimes as well. So in that sense I can follow you yeah, although 2 SB appearances in 4 years, even with a loaded squad, is hard to argue with. Did it with Jared Goff the first time as well, and even Stafford wasn't exactly battle proven in the POs before this season.

Youngest SB winning head coach in NFL history, he's just 7 years older than me and feels like he's been in the league since forever.

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Same, just caught the highlights. I disagree that a trick play is not a proper TD, but it is hard to believe that the other one stood - clear facemask.

I'm sure the Bengals will come back. Number 1 priority in the off-season is to fix that offensive line.
What I meant is, these are not plays that you can build your game on. It is nice that it worked but it kind of felt desperate (at least to me) trying that play in the first half.

Yes, me too. I mean he has so many stars and he still almost managed to f**** it up.

JoaquinJoaquin

That flag call was so bad. Can't believe more isn't being made of it, because it basically cost the Bengals the game.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm not into American football. So I've only watched the halftime show this morning.

Got to say, that's just about as good as I've ever seen. Every single song was an absolute banger. Don't think the crowd necessarily agreed. But I love that era of hip hop.

The craft services at Aftermath Records are obviously very moreish.
Yeah the half time show is a Top 3 for me, with Prince and MJ.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, me too. I mean he has so many stars and he still almost managed to f**** it up.
That's incredibly harsh on him imo. He's not involved with the defensive stars as far as I know, yeah you're responsible for the entire team as HC but the defense played lights out when it mattered.

Their offense was humming and moving the ball with ease before OBJ went down. Then they conceded a TD on an obvious missed facemask and a FG on an INT that was on a 7th round rookie WR who was asked to do much more than expected because of the OBJ injury. His QB and star WR still went down the field when they needed to and got a TD.

Plenty of other HCs who had a lot of stars this season and did not win the SB.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That flag call was so bad. Can't believe more isn't being made of it, because it basically cost the Bengals the game.
They got the Higgins TD on a missed call which was probably even worse than the holding call, and it's not like it was on 4th down either, the Rams would've had a shot after that anyway. But yeah it was definitely a very bad call imo.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I can’t believe that people are dubious of Mcvay,guy is 37 and has now made 2 Super Bowls in 5 years plus multiple playoff appearances. You have to remember how bad the Rams were in the fisher era to truly appreciate how good a job he has done

RoadTrip

I actually think he is one of the brightest offensive minds in the league but might work better as an OC than actual HC. His time management is questionable at times, he tends to get stubborn in his decisions and fall into a pattern even though it's clearly not working, so perhaps adjusts too late sometimes as well. So in that sense I can follow you yeah, although 2 SB appearances in 4 years, even with a loaded squad, is hard to argue with. Did it with Jared Goff the first time as well, and even Stafford wasn't exactly battle proven in the POs before this season.

Youngest SB winning head coach in NFL history, he's just 7 years older than me and feels like he's been in the league since forever.
You’re probably right. I just didn’t like the stubbornness of persisting to run the ball. His use of time outs and time management generally isn’t great. And I just think adjustments were slow yesterday.

But then as you say, he’s young and been so successful already. He is therefore still learning really. He’s clearly innovative on offence.

Perhaps I just have in my mind that he’s hyped up like he’s the best thing out there. But perhaps he isn’t just quite there yet. Still clearly very good. And to have a coaching tree at his age is also just mad.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I can’t believe that people are dubious of Mcvay,guy is 37 and has now made 2 Super Bowls in 5 years plus multiple playoff appearances. You have to remember how bad the Rams were in the fisher era to truly appreciate how good a job he has done
I don't think anyone is arguing he's a bad coach or anything, just that there are still things he can definitely improve at. If I remember correctly the Rams were without time-outs against the Bucs with 10min left in the 4th quarter, imo there are just no scenarios in which that can happen for example.

RoadTrip

I guess on a bit of further reflection on McVay, I’m probably being quite harsh.

When you think how young he was when he was hired, it’s clear he was never going to be a finished article. And when you consider the journey and ability to adjust and learn, he’s definitely got it in spades.

In the first bowl, he tried to outsmart BB instead of just doing what the team was good at. He over thought it and consequently lost.

Fast forward to this year, in this context, the fact he stuck with the run for so long probably isn’t surprising. He clearly wanted to stay true to what the team is.

So one Super Bowl tried to do too much. The other, as a consequence, tried to do too little. Which is kinda understandable really, when you realise he’s 37 and still very much learning the craft.

So all in all still got some bits to learn but actually I think he probably has proven himself already.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I guess on a bit of further reflection on McVay, I’m probably being quite harsh.

When you think how young he was when he was hired, it’s clear he was never going to be a finished article. And when you consider the journey and ability to adjust and learn, he’s definitely got it in spades.

In the first bowl, he tried to outsmart BB instead of just doing what the team was good at. He over thought it and consequently lost.

Fast forward to this year, in this context, the fact he stuck with the run for so long probably isn’t surprising. He clearly wanted to stay true to what the team is.

So one Super Bowl tried to do too much. The other, as a consequence, tried to do too little. Which is kinda understandable really, when you realise he’s 37 and still very much learning the craft.

So all in all still got some bits to learn but actually I think he probably has proven himself already.
You're both being incredibly harsh on him. Guy just turned 36 three weeks ago and he's already 37 in your minds?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Will be interesting to see how McVay does over the next couple of years when this team is dismantled and they have no premium picks.

Meller

Still ecstatic after last night. It's been a long time since I got to celebrate a win in sports like that.

lsd

The Oracle
Meanwhile Adrian Peterson arrested for domestic violence.

The Superbowl ends and everything goes back to normal

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Will be interesting to see how McVay does over the next couple of years when this team is dismantled and they have no premium picks.
Not very well given that he has loaded up on talent twice now to cobble together SB runs over the past 4 years. There is no long term infrastructure in place to compensate for when the likes of Donald and Miller retire or if they run into problems at QB.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Not very well given that he has loaded up on talent twice now to cobble together SB runs over the past 4 years. There is no long term infrastructure in place to compensate for when the likes of Donald and Miller retire or if they run into problems at QB.
Nah I don't believe in that. Even in a QB class like this one they could take a punt on one and strike gold. They've also been good at drafting talent in the later rounds of the draft.

Their most important players can easily play through the stretch of the upcoming years where their draft capital is slim.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Still ecstatic after last night. It's been a long time since I got to celebrate a win in sports like that.
Congrats mate. The Rams were definitely the most preferable team out of all the NFC contenders, and in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty nice to see a different team win it all.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Nah I don't believe in that. Even in a QB class like this one they could take a punt on one and strike gold. They've also been good at drafting talent in the later rounds of the draft.

Their most important players can easily play through the stretch of the upcoming years where their draft capital is slim.
Are you sure? Donald is apparently strongly considering retirement. That would be their best player gone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

This doesn't address the fact that they are a shallow team with key players like Donald and Miller nearing retirement. Donald just told Rodney Harrison that he may retire after winning a SB and Miller likely doesn't have more than a year of playing at a top level left. McVay tried this a few years ago when he brought in Suh, Talib, and Peters, and when that didn't get him there, he swapped QBs, added more mercenaries like Miller and OBJ to try again. There is no long term infrastructure in place which will eventually expose McVay.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This doesn't address the fact that they are a shallow team with key players like Donald and Miller nearing retirement. Donald just told Rodney Harrison that he may retire after winning a SB and Miller likely doesn't have more than a year of playing at a top level left. McVay tried this a few years ago when he brought in Suh, Talib, and Peters, and when that didn't get him there, he swapped QBs, added more mercenaries like Miller and OBJ to try again. There is no long term infrastructure in place which will eventually expose McVay.
Why are you including Miller in this? He's a nice to have, let's not act like he was pivotal to their success this year on in years past (in which they regularly made the playoffs and went to the Super Bowl in 2018). Wouldn't matter much if he decided to leave LA right now.

You're prematurely jumping to conclusions about how McVay would handle a "rebuild" (still multiple seasons away from that point).

Status
Not open for further replies.