NFL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Stone

One chat to Ronaldo was enough to make Brady realise he's not trying hard enough. Needs to step it up if he wants to be the true GOAT.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Kirk Cousins has just extended with Vikings :lol:
@JPRouve

I'm actually fine with the cap hit and the player. I hoped for a trade because I didn't expect him to sign an extension that would help the team but he did.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm actually fine with the cap hit and the player. I hoped for a trade because I didn't expect him to sign an extension that would help the team but he did.
Really?

I guess you don’t have many other options other than him.

JPRouve

Scout
Really?

I guess you don’t have many other options other than him.
Yes. He is an above average QB that has led a pretty good offense despite questionable playing calling and a generally bad offensive online. He has shortcomings but not things that would see me tell you that I want him out at all cost.

Mike Smalling

What are the chances of Ali Marpet coming back to play another season with TB12? Watch this space.

JJ12

They really need Carlton Davis and Marpet but i think both will be gone for different reasons obviously.

dinostar77

Guys, if brady hadnt of done a u turn, who was going to start the season as tampa QB? Also does this throw any plans out of the window to sign other players in other positions, seeing as brady's salary is back on the books?

JPRouve

Scout
Guys, if brady hadnt of done a u turn, who was going to start the season as tampa QB? Also does this throw any plans out of the window to sign other players in other positions, seeing as brady's salary is back on the books?
The front office most likely knew that it was an option. So it's unlikely that it throws any plan out of the window. Also Brady is on a relatively small contract from a cap standpoint, most good options would cost as much or more.

JJ12

Busy thread today we think huh?

This evening at least.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. OBJ's last great year was 5 years ago. As for Cooper, he's had multiple 1000 yard years with the Cowboys, so I think he will be fine in Cleveland.
What kind of backwards reasoning is that? OBJ was a 1,000 yard receiver in NY for every healthy season.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, the Browns haven't had a 1,000 yard receiver since 2019. Cooper had an elite QB in Dallas and will have Mayfield in Cleveland now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
His hit is only about 8 mil next year iirc, so he isn’t hurting us too bad.

Mike Smalling

Mentioned that earlier. God I hope so. That would
At this point, I would almost be surprised if he doesn't come back. Brady has this insane magic touch of keeping players around or bringing them back. Surely, Gronk will also take another year?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Busy thread today we think huh?

This evening at least.
Watson expected to sign with Carolina or Nola in the next day or two, according to my guy Benjamin Allbright.

The dark horse, which would be the most hilarious IMO, is Cleveland.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What kind of backwards reasoning is that? OBJ was a 1,000 yard receiver in NY for every healthy season.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, the Browns haven't had a 1,000 yard receiver since 2019. Cooper had an elite QB in Dallas and will have Mayfield in Cleveland now.
Cooper will fare better in Cleveland than Beckham did, if for no other reason than he’s been more productive over the past 3 years of his career. Odell’s last really good year was 2016, which is ancient history in NFL terms. He’s also got roughly the same amount of career receptions as Odell despite being two years younger, so the Browns will definitely be coming out the winners in this deal.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watson expected to sign with Carolina or Nola in the next day or two, according to my guy Benjamin Allbright.

The dark horse, which would be the most hilarious IMO, is Cleveland.
I can see Carolina being the landing spot for a number of reasons.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Cooper will fare better in Cleveland than Beckham did, if for no other reason than he’s been more productive over the past 3 years of his career. Odell’s last really good year was 2016, which is ancient history in NFL terms. He’s also got roughly the same amount of career receptions as Odell despite being two years younger, so the Browns will definitely be coming out the winners in this deal.
Because OBJ had a bad QB while Cooper had an elite one, and now their roles are reversed. Mayfield will make sure that Cooper becomes irrelevant, especially for fantasy football. He simply can't support a WR1.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
At this point, I would almost be surprised if he doesn't come back. Brady has this insane magic touch of keeping players around or bringing them back. Surely, Gronk will also take another year?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Because OBJ had a bad QB while Cooper had an elite one, and now their roles are reversed. Mayfield will make sure that Cooper becomes irrelevant, especially for fantasy football. He simply can't support a WR1.
He doesn't have to, as he will be a compliment to the players they already have. He also wouldn't be the attitude and injury liability as Beckham has been of late.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He doesn't have to, as he will be a compliment to the players they already have. He also wouldn't be the attitude and injury liability as Beckham has been of late.
Beckham doesn't have an attitude problem, literally every past teammate loves him.

Cooper never eclipsed 1,200 yards, never topped 8 TDs in a season. Beckham surpassed both of those numbers in his first 3 seasons in the league alone, from a talent perspective Cooper isn't even close to the same tier as Beckham. No idea why we'd assume he will be a productive WR tied to Mayfield.

He just posted a 68-865-8 statline in the league's highest scoring offense(!) while already being surpassed as his team's WR1 by a sophomore. Dallas had rather released him than kept him, and they felt it was more important to give Michael friggin Gallup a $62.5m extension than keeping Cooper on the team. Odds are stacked against him in Cleveland, and I bet he will be inefficient. He's also not brought in to be a compliment to the players they have - their top two receivers right now are Landry (unrestricted FA in 2023) and DPJ (a 6th round pick).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Beckham doesn't have an attitude problem, literally every past teammate loves him.

Cooper never eclipsed 1,200 yards, never topped 8 TDs in a season. Beckham surpassed both of those numbers in his first 3 seasons in the league alone, from a talent perspective Cooper isn't even close to the same tier as Beckham. No idea why we'd assume he will be a productive WR tied to Mayfield.

He just posted a 68-865-8 statline in the league's highest scoring offense(!) while already being surpassed as his team's WR1 by a sophomore. Dallas had rather released him than kept him, and they felt it was more important to give Michael friggin Gallup a $62.5m extension than keeping Cooper on the team. Odds are stacked against him in Cleveland, and I bet he will be inefficient. He's also not brought in to be a compliment to the players they have - their top two receivers right now are Landry (unrestricted FA in 2023) and DPJ (a 6th round pick).
Except none of the numbers you cite in Beckham's early career are still achievable for him given his recent performances. He may get lucky by having a guy like Stafford throw to him and wind up with good stats, but that's a big if given his low output over the past two years. He's basically a player in decline who one wouldn't bring aboard to build a passing game around, but rather a as a compliment to the star receiver (here, Kupp - who caught as many balls last year as Odell has in the past 3 seasons combined). Cooper has the capacity to catch about 80-90 balls and will almost certainly be their leading receiver next year, which will be a big upgrade from Odell's productivity of 17 receptions in 6 games there last year.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Except none of the numbers you cite in Beckham's early career are still achievable for him given his recent performances. He may get lucky by having a guy like Stafford throw to him and wind up with good stats, but that's a big if given his low output over the past two years. He's basically a player in decline who one wouldn't bring aboard to build a passing game around, but rather a as a compliment to the star receiver (here, Kupp - who caught as many balls last year as Odell has in the past 3 seasons combined). Cooper has the capacity to catch about 80-90 balls and will almost certainly be their leading receiver next year, which will be a big upgrade from Odell's productivity of 17 receptions in 6 games there last year.
I try to separate talent and production because the latter is very dependant on situation. Davante Adams would not be recognized as one of the game's great WR if he spent his career in Cleveland instead of with Rodgers in Green Bay. Kupp wouldn't be in the top-10 WR conversation right now if Stafford never went to LA. Targets are earned, yes, but you need to have a good situation in order to succeed, that simply wasn't the case for OBJ in Cleveland. If you have a bad QB, you need to be force fed the ball in order to put up stats - Hopkins averaged 157 targets in the 3 seasons before Watson was at Houston. Allen Robinson averaged 151 targets in his last two seasons in Jacksonville. Beckham averaged less than 6 targets in his final 1.5 seasons in Cleveland (and not because he wasn't getting open anymore).

The talent is still there if you watch his tape. He seperated with ease in Cleveland as well, but Mayfield would rather throw it into the nosebleeds than look his way on routes. He is a more talented WR than Cooper Kupp and I stand by that, but I know I'm in a minority with that opinion.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How does this OBJ attitude myth continue to get perpetuated?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I try to separate talent and production because the latter is very dependant on situation. Davante Adams would not be recognized as one of the game's great WR if he spent his career in Cleveland instead of with Rodgers in Green Bay. Kupp wouldn't be in the top-10 WR conversation right now if Stafford never went to LA. Targets are earned, yes, but you need to have a good situation in order to succeed, that simply wasn't the case for OBJ in Cleveland. If you have a bad QB, you need to be force fed the ball in order to put up stats - Hopkins averaged 157 targets in the 3 seasons before Watson was at Houston. Allen Robinson averaged 151 targets in his last two seasons in Jacksonville. Beckham averaged less than 6 targets in his final 1.5 seasons in Cleveland (and not because he wasn't getting open anymore).

The talent is still there if you watch his tape. He seperated with ease in Cleveland as well, but Mayfield would rather throw it into the nosebleeds than look his way on routes. He is a more talented WR than Cooper Kupp and I stand by that, but I know I'm in a minority with that opinion.
This is the same situation as that batshit Seahawks fan article I posted the other day, citing Denver’s receivers stats as somehow supporting an argument that Lock could produce if he had the supporting cast, entirely overlooking the fact that the reason the WR stats were subdued was because of the people throwing the ball into the wrong place.

I remember reading stats about Sutton being the receiver who’d got open and been thrown an un-catchable pass the most frequently in the league or something like that.

Receivers are inherently reliant on their QB.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

That may be true in random instances but not across the board. Larry Fitzgerald being a prime example who spent his career on many very average Arizona teams and is the #2 receiver in NFL history. Same with Tony Gonzalez's production in Atlanta. Andre Johnson, Anquan Bolden are two more who played on average teams and would up with top 15 all time in yards and receptions and Calvin Johnson is in Canton after playing only 8 years in underachieving Detroit. Ultimately, good players will shine through irrespective of where they play. Kupp has developed into one of the best receivers in the league by working for it. His stats this past year were down to him getting targeted a lot more, which is why he caught a lot more.

Back to Odell - He will continue to contribute here in LA, but he will never be the same player he was in 2014-16 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him peter out in LA and move on after realizing he will always be a distant second in targets because Kupp is and will continue to play at an incredible level in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.